Suite in a group with "peons"

Garn

So, yesterday, my parents (who were booked in a minisuite, along with my daughter) got an upsell offer - upgrade to a Penthouse suite for $449 each. Once we found that the "each" was only my parents and my daughter was "free", it became too good to pass up.

As part of the decision-process, I looked at all the suite benefits (I essentially act as the group travel agent), which are pretty cool.

The problem (as if anything can be called a 'problem' in a wonderful situation like this) is that my in-laws and my wife and I are in balcony cabins. We really do this as a family vacation, so I was wonder which perks can be "umbrellaed" over the rest of us and which will go unused.

For instance:

- Can we all go through the same check-in line?

- Can we all get on the same tender?

- Can "preferred" anytime dining reservations be made for our table of 7?

- Can we order afternoon tea for 4 or 5 served on the balcony?

I know some things (like breakfast at Sabatini's, free specialty dining on embarkation night) are just for the suite guests, which is fine.

I also heard that they get a "butler" - so, um, what does a butler do? Sure, I've seen Downton Abbey, but I'm not seeing how Mr. Bates fits in to a cruise ship.

Are there any other perks besides those listed on the Princess website?

Thanks, all, for your help!

So, yesterday, my parents (who were booked in a minisuite, along with my daughter) got an upsell offer - upgrade to a Penthouse suite for $449 each. Once we found that the "each" was only my parents and my daughter was "free", it became too good to pass up.

As part of the decision-process, I looked at all the suite benefits (I essentially act as the group travel agent), which are pretty cool.

The problem (as if anything can be called a 'problem' in a wonderful situation like this) is that my in-laws and my wife and I are in balcony cabins. We really do this as a family vacation, so I was wonder which perks can be "umbrellaed" over the rest of us and which will go unused.

For instance:

- Can we all go through the same check-in line?

- Can we all get on the same tender?

- Can "preferred" anytime dining reservations be made for our table of 7?

- Can we order afternoon tea for 4 or 5 served on the balcony?

I know some things (like breakfast at Sabatini's, free specialty dining on embarkation night) are just for the suite guests, which is fine.

I also heard that they get a "butler" - so, um, what does a butler do? Sure, I've seen Downton Abbey, but I'm not seeing how Mr. Bates fits in to a cruise ship.

Thanks, all, for your help!

You may be able to board together but thats about it.

Suite benefits are for suite guests only., No butler, Princess does not have them.

Don't know what ship you are on but the Royal/Regal have a concierge lounge.

You may be able to board together but thats about it.

Suite benefits are for suite guests only., No butler, Princess does not have them.

Don't know what ship you are on but the Royal/Regal have a concierge lounge.

Thanks. We are on the Emerald.

I forget which line it was, but I recall someone saying that they extended a lot of those benefits like I mentioned to the whole party. But that was back when I didn't think I'd need to pay attention to suite stuff.

Odd about the butler - I hadn't see it listed, but that's what the Princess reservation person said on the phone last night.

The only benefit that can be shared that I know of is that the food served with the afternoon tea is so plentiful that it will be enough for 4 or 5 and, if I remember correctly, they ask how many tea cups are needed.

Edited by capriccio

Afternoon tea may be ordered for as many people as one wishes. Also, suite guests may order room service from the menus in the dining rooms during regular dining hours, again for as many people as one wishes. They can make "priority dining reservations" (although this doesn't work really well all the time) for number of people in their party - i.e. 7.

Other than that, they are going to have to "slum it" and head to the tenders with the rest of you, if you want to be on the same tender to shore.

You might be able to board together, especially since your daughter will be with them.

And if you choose to go to the suite/elite lounge for happy hour you can probably go as their guests......we have taken a small number of guests with us for cocktail hour many times.

Enjoy the cruise - having the family together is wonderful.:D

Thanks. We are on the Emerald.

I forget which line it was, but I recall someone saying that they extended a lot of those benefits like I mentioned to the whole party. But that was back when I didn't think I'd need to pay attention to suite stuff.

Odd about the butler - I hadn't see it listed, but that's what the Princess reservation person said on the phone last night.

Butlers were first introduced in 1998 on the Grand Princess when she first sailed.

Lasted maybe 1 year then discontinued.

Maybe you reached a customer service rep that got caught in a time warp. :rolleyes:

I'd make room for Mr. Bates on my cruise ship any time. :D

Thanks for all of the information!

I'm so excited for this. My mom has had a tough year (including surgery and chemo) so she deserves to be pampered. This should be a great treat for her.

As for the butler (and I should have known Carson, not Bates!), the person who called me back was a fill-in for the person who normally handles upsells. We were getting close to the end of their working day and I still hadn't heard back after I said that yes, we want it, so she said that she was calling on behalf of Andrea who as on another call. I'm not sure what her normal job was, but I can't imagine what it could have been if she thought that there were butlers...

One time in San Juan they allowed our friends to board with us when we were in a suite, in Fort Lauderdale they allowed our 3 children to board with us that were in an inside cabin across from us, and once in Fort Lauderdale they would not allow our friends to board with us for the suite so I guess it all depends.

They can make the dining reservations for you all.

As far as the tender tickets, it was never extended to our friends on the cruises only to our under 18 children. I went and asked at the desk and was told no.

Last year our complete family (7) traveled out of Houston and my parents were in a suite with my son. Since they need permission to travel with a minor we were able to board the ship with them. Plus they are platinum and my parents said they are allowed to take two guest each during embarkation.

Last year our complete family (7) traveled out of Houston and my parents were in a suite with my son. Since they need permission to travel with a minor we were able to board the ship with them. Plus they are platinum and my parents said they are allowed to take two guest each during embarkation.

Never heard of that perk before.:confused:

For instance:

- Can we all go through the same check-in line? -- yes, but only those in the suite will get priority boarding if boarding has not started yet

- Can we all get on the same tender? if tender tickets are still required, only the suite guests can get on the next available tender to shore

- Can "preferred" anytime dining reservations be made for our table of 7? Probably. Reservation must be made by the suite guests.

- Can we order afternoon tea for 4 or 5 served on the balcony? It can only be ordered by the suite guests and served in the suite and its balcony. As others have pointed out, there can be enough food for all of you.

see above in red

I would ask at the desk about priority tender tickets. It may be an individual ship policy thing.

You will find that many policies vary from ship to ship on Princess, so you may "get lucky" with some of them and all be treated as suite passengers. Just don't be disappointed if you aren't, though :).

Edited by Ryndam2002

I've only had one suite afternoon tea, I think there was enough food to feed the entire deck.

Tender if tickets required no

Anytime reservations pretty sure no worries, I have been the guest of Suite PAX who had arranged it.

Boarding may vary from port to port and even staff to staff so I think maybe is the best answer

I'd make room for Mr. Bates on my cruise ship any time. :D[/quote

I bet when Mr. Bates was a young man at boarding school , he got made fun of a lot :)

I know when my friend Bill Stains first joined the Navy he had a rough time.

Butlers will unpack for you which is something I would rather do.

They are there as a support to ensure your needs are met. You can have them help with pressing and laundry services. They will tell you about their services when you board. It is a great perk although well paid for.

Breakfast in Sabitini's'; preferred seating in the theater; supply of liquors in your bar that you can ask to have replaced with your own preferred choices; there is a spa offering; CD's for movies; flower arrangement; ability for UD on your balcony and special suite menu- you need to ask for this.

My suggestion in calling any service is to state you are calling from Suite XYZ..

They can see your stateroom number but it is a reminder.

Be sure to ask when you board. In our first suite, many perks were not evident so just ask..

I also heard that they get a "butler" - so, um, what does a butler do?

They can see your stateroom number but it is a reminder.

Be sure to ask when you board. In our first suite, many perks were not evident so just ask..

Don't think Princess does butlers. Celebrity does. Your question was answered on a celebrity thread as follows: steward takes care of the room. butler takes care of you. You need something for the room, ask the steward. You want something for yourself, ask the steward. For example, the butler would serve meals you ordered from room service.

I've never heard preferred seating in the theatre on Princess and I've stayed in many a suite. they have a preferred section for suites on RCL that I'm aware of.

Absolutely no to the tender tickets. People who don't see your black card will complain loudly and you will be embarrassed. If you want to stay together get a tender ticket when they first come available and debark together.

Why would someone even think to steal services they didn't pay for when the cost difference between suites and all other categories is so big. People in suites pay dearly not to wait in line for a tender or breakfast at the MDR or buffet or for a waiter in the suite/elite happy hour.