Weight limit question

My husband and I will be sailing on Jewel of the Seas in a few days and are wondering about weight limits on an excursion. In Fort De France, Martinique we'd like to go to the Botanical Garden with Suspension Bridge. It has a 250 pound weight limit. Do they actually check your weight? My husband is going to be over that limit. He's not "fat," just a tall, muscular guy. We typically scuba dive and snorkel, but thought this excursion would be a nice one to add. However, we don't want to get there and find out he's not allowed to do it. We don't recall there being any weight limits for excursions on our previous cruises...with the exception maybe of ziplines.

Thanks for any help! :)

It's a suspension bridge - it is designed to only hold so much weight. By exceeding the weight limit you risk injuring both yourselves as well as those around you.

The limit is there for a reason - it's not a suggestion.

It's a suspension bridge - it is designed to only hold so much weight. By exceeding the weight limit you risk injuring both yourselves as well as those around you.

The limit is there for a reason - it's not a suggestion.

Good point. why would they establish a limit if they had no reason to enforce it.......? And why would one expect them not to?

Now that the obvious has been said:rolleyes: I'll tell you to try and locate a website for them and send an email stating your husbands weight and see if they would allow it. If he's close they may, if he's way over then probably not. But no, I seriously doubt they will weigh him. I have NEVER seen this done on an excursion...

Now that the obvious has been said:rolleyes: I'll tell you to try and locate a website for them and send an email stating your husbands weight and see if they would allow it. If he's close they may, if he's way over then probably not. But no, I seriously doubt they will weigh him. I have NEVER seen this done on an excursion...

They have scales and weigh people for the Labadee zipline.

Thanks for the responses. We already knew "the obvious," :p but was curious because it seems there are now weight limits for excursions similar to what we've done before...and there weren't weight limits, at that time. In the past 15 years we've done several that my husband now can't do, due to the weight limit. Just wondered if they actually check your weight or depend on the "honor" system! Maybe some of it is insurance-driven...

Anyway, we won't be doing anything that my hubby exceeds the weight limit! Don't see any reason to push our luck, in the best interest of all involved.

Happy cruising! :cool:

We did an RCI zipline excursion in St. Kitts and they weighed everyone - even those who were obviously way under the weight limit.

My husband and I will be sailing on Jewel of the Seas in a few days and are wondering about weight limits on an excursion. In Fort De France, Martinique we'd like to go to the Botanical Garden with Suspension Bridge. It has a 250 pound weight limit. Do they actually check your weight? My husband is going to be over that limit. He's not "fat," just a tall, muscular guy. We typically scuba dive and snorkel, but thought this excursion would be a nice one to add. However, we don't want to get there and find out he's not allowed to do it. We don't recall there being any weight limits for excursions on our previous cruises...with the exception maybe of ziplines.

Thanks for any help! :)

I was recently in Martinique and we went to the Gardens. LOVELY, just lovely. We saw but did not go on the suspension bridge.

I didn't see anyone "supervising" it, but then, as I said, we didn't go ON it.

You can fully enjoy the gardens without the bridge, so I would go anyway.

:)

I have not seen any weighing done, but a thread about a year ago did indicate that people were turned away because of weight. I'd call and speak to someone in Shore Excursions. Hope you are able to go!

I wouldn't count on getting an accurate answer there, call three times and get three different answers.;):D

This is not a suggestion but just wanted to say

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

From your location and your CruiseCritic name... i am guessing your a KU fan?

Just had to say :)

Have fun on your cruise!

Absolutely Rock Chalk Jayhawk!! Making sure we can stay up to date with March Madness while we're cruising. ;)

I was recently in Martinique and we went to the Gardens. LOVELY, just lovely. We saw but did not go on the suspension bridge.

I didn't see anyone "supervising" it, but then, as I said, we didn't go ON it.

You can fully enjoy the gardens without the bridge, so I would go anyway.

:)

Thanks for the reply! That's great to know! Knowing we can avoid the suspension bridge, I think we're likely to go!

Not to beat Bob's time on this but according to the RCI website, the Dragon's Breath zipline weight limit is 275 lbs.

I was going to say 250lbs, but I suspect your info is more recent than mine.

I was going to say 250lbs, but I suspect your info is more recent than mine.

Well, my information is only as valid as the RCI website on this subject (and we well know how accurate and up to date their web site is) so who really knows for sure unless someone has ridden it recently and remembers. ;)

Edited by joepeka

OP - I understand where you are coming from and why you asked the questions. My BF is about 300 pounds so, we have also found my shore excursions that state there's a 250 pound limit (for apparently not reason). There's no comparison between a zipline - where you are fitted in a harness and you by yourself are suspended from a cable, and all pieces involved have specific weight limits - and a bridge, where most likely the whole group will go out on it at once. We have seen weight limits like this on boat tours, so my best guess is they are putting that weight limit on to do with the max capacity of the boat based on the number of people on it. We ignore it and have never had an issue. just my 2 cents.

Bob--what is the weight limit for Labadee zip line?

Gangway here---the weight limit at the zipline is 250. My son signed up for the zipline at least five pounds under that, but by the time we reached Labadee he had added that five pounds or his clothes were heavier or both. Yes, he was weighed and bumped from the zipline experience. He felt really bad. They don't fool around about weight limits.