Not good time for Royal to increase alcohol prices

Attention all Royal cruisers----it is very easy to get this drink price increase reversed. The key is the bartenders!! If everyone starts drinking beer or drinks priced below $10 (assuming there are some) or reducing the amount of drinks per day, then, the bartenders tips will drastically be reduced AND TOP MANAGEMENT WILL HEAR THIS--ALL EMPLOYERS LISTEN TO THE EMPLOYEES RATHER THAN A BUNCH OF UPSET CRUISERS. I am not trying to pick on the bartenders (they usually are very good), but, we need to have a viable strategy. RIGHT NOW--answer to this thread: ON ALL FUTURE ROYAL CRUISES I WILL DECREASE MY SPENDING ON DRINKS!!! Answer now.

"We" need a strategy? Considering the percentage of cruisers who come to Cruise Critic is extremely low, even IF every one of us agreed with your idea (I for one don't), and agreed to go along with it, it would have little to no affect. AND that is a very huge IF!

I don't drink beer or wine, period, even to make a point. I go on vacation to relax, drink, tour, shop and have fun....in other words, I go on vacation to spend money. :D I won't be buying powdered alcohol, I will be buying my normal 1-2 drinks a day and drinking a drink or two in the Diamond Lounge before dinner. I will continue to cruise Royal, because they suit us well, and I will continue to cruise 2-3 times a year, until I am too poor or too old...whichever comes first.

My suggestion to you is to stay in your own lane. Fight your battle the best way you can. If the prices offend you or make you unhappy then maybe you should find a different cruise line or a different kind of vacation. I don't like price increases any more than the next person, but they exist and probably aren't going to stop happening.

Considering the percentage of cruisers who come to Cruise Critic is extremely low, even IF every one of us agreed with your idea (I for one don't), and agreed to go along with it, it would have little to no affect. AND that is a very huge IF!

I agree 100%. Any "strategy" put together here like that would be futile. I like the OP's idea but its just not going to be effective at all.

Yep, Mom use to serve us powder milk and powder mashed potatoes when we were poor. They sucked more than usual if you didn't add the right amount of water. :rolleyes:

I hate milk to this day because of the stuff!:cool:

No way I am going to sneak powdered alcohol on a ship. I don't drink that much to begin with so not going to worry about the increase.

Could this be just a spring break increase and things will go back to the old prices in a few weeks?

Could this be just a spring break increase and things will go back to the old prices in a few weeks?

Surely you jest! :D

Im probably making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Im not a real heavy drink either but I hate it for my fellow cruisers who are. I guess they will just be forced into the packages now. Only about 1-2 a day and not every day for me. Im just glad I found out before hand so the sticker shock of a 12.00 Lava Flow I paid around 8 bucks for last cruise wont be so bad. Lol

Edited by ryano

Surely you jest! :D

Im probably making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Im not a real heavy drink either but I hate it for my fellow cruisers who are. I guess they will just be forced into the packages now. Only about 1-2 a day and not every day for me. Im just glad I found out before hand so the sticker shock of a 12.00 Lava Flow I paid around 8 bucks for last cruise wont be so bad. Lol

I know, what was I thinking?:eek:;):D

With the increased numbers of Diamond and Diamond+ members, all those free drinks have to subsidised from somewhere. RCI really doesn't want to give you something for nothing!

I posted this in a different topic but I'll post it here also. The 3 free drinks that they give to diamond and above costs them very little. Considering your limited to what you can order, the 3 gin and tonics that I drink will cost them less than 3 bucks. And I'm not talking 3 bucks a piece, I'm talking total. At the volume that they purchase their booze, probably a lot less.

you only get 1 shot in each pack and it's only 58% normal spirit is 70%

I don't think that 70% is correct. I was under the impression that liquors are typically 80 proof, which is 40% alcohol by volume.

Attention all Royal cruisers----it is very easy to get this drink price increase reversed. The key is the bartenders!! If everyone starts drinking beer or drinks priced below $10 (assuming there are some) or reducing the amount of drinks per day, then, the bartenders tips will drastically be reduced AND TOP MANAGEMENT WILL HEAR THIS--ALL EMPLOYERS LISTEN TO THE EMPLOYEES RATHER THAN A BUNCH OF UPSET CRUISERS. I am not trying to pick on the bartenders (they usually are very good), but, we need to have a viable strategy. RIGHT NOW--answer to this thread: ON ALL FUTURE ROYAL CRUISES I WILL DECREASE MY SPENDING ON DRINKS!!! Answer now.

Have your seen the Bionic bartenders on the Quantum of the Seas??

No tipping required! No "extra pour" either, as Bio or Nic are set up to do exact pours, and one cannot interact with the bartender when either Bio or Nic are mixing your drink.

And the price of the drinks??? Unfortunately, that I don't know, as I was on when everything was free.

Everyone keeps talking about Royal Caribbean pricing themselves out of the market, yet, on some ships I have to book more than a year out to get the cabin that I want.

Go figure!!:)

Rick

I think the point of the original post was about the ridiculous rising drink prices...and they're right about that! You're a "captive" audience....they should not try and rip you a new one! If prices were reasonable, most folks don't mind paying for their buzz...you do mind paying double the land-bar price...and 4-5 times what YOU pay in a retail store!

The business has to make a profit, and that is just corporate life.

No profit, no cruise line. Fairly easy to understand.

So, would we rather have $1.00 drinks and staterooms priced at $2,500 per person for inside and going up from there ? Or staterooms not much more than we paid in 1998 when we started cruising as a vacation ?

One way or the other the ships need to be paid for, the shareholders need a return on their investment, the staff needs to be paid, the expenses covered, and at the end of the day if the drinks are just "too much" well as a consumer there are lots of other choices.

I don't think that 70% is correct. I was under the impression that liquors are typically 80 proof, which is 40% alcohol by volume.

Soz

70 Proof, and yes your correct 80 proof is 40%ABV which more spirits are.

My bad.

Kezz

The business has to make a profit, and that is just corporate life.

No profit, no cruise line. Fairly easy to understand.

So, would we rather have $1.00 drinks and staterooms priced at $2,500 per person for inside and going up from there ? Or staterooms not much more than we paid in 1998 when we started cruising as a vacation ?

One way or the other the ships need to be paid for, the shareholders need a return on their investment, the staff needs to be paid, the expenses covered, and at the end of the day if the drinks are just "too much" well as a consumer there are lots of other choices.

Well said.

The Rhode Island Senate just passed a bill to ban sale and use of palcohol. A companion bill is working it's way through the House. Massachusetts, Alaska, Delaware, South Carolina, Vermont and Louisiana have already banned the substance.

The Rhode Island Senate just passed a bill to ban sale and use of palcohol. A companion bill is working it's way through the House. Massachusetts, Alaska, Delaware, South Carolina, Vermont and Louisiana have already banned the substance.

I'm in UK.

Is there a reason for the ban?

Or should I say, why have they banned it?

Thanks

Kezz

I'm in UK.

Is there a reason for the ban?

Or should I say, why have they banned it?

Thanks

Kezz

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because a of strong liquor industry lobby, at least in Rhode Island anyway. Up until recently, there was a ban internet sales of liquor, beer, and wine in Rhode Island although that may have changed. You can only buy beer or wine in liquor store unlike other states where you can buy it in grocery stores or pharmacies. The liquor lobby in this state has big money to buy votes.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because a of strong liquor industry lobby, at least in Rhode Island anyway. Up until recently, there was a ban internet sales of liquor, beer, and wine in Rhode Island although that may have changed. You can only buy beer or wine in liquor store unlike other states where you can buy it in grocery stores or pharmacies. The liquor lobby in this state has big money to buy votes.

Thanks for the reply.

Here in UK, you can get it delivered also there are lots of places to buy it.

government keep saying they will crack down on it, but nothing seems to happen.

Kezz