Princess Cays...why?

RyanMFitz1

Having gone on my first Princess cruise on the Regal, one stop was Princess Cays. I wasn't impressed at all. Having cruised Carnival before, they stop at Half Moon Cay. Question is since they are all one company, why not use Half Moon Cay and "ditch" the Princess Cay stop?

They are not one company. CCL owns many companies. They are all under one umbrella but they are distinct companies.

Saying they are the same company is like saying KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut are all the same company. They are all owned by the same parent company but they aren't the same at all.

They are not one company. CCL owns many companies. They are all under one umbrella but they are distinct companies.

Saying they are the same company is like saying KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut are all the same company. They are all owned by the same parent company but they aren't the same at all.

They use each other's private islands though. In fact, Carnival has even been using RCI's Coco Cay lately.

Half Moon Cay is a massive island. Owned by Holland America, which is a sister company of Carnival. And in my opinion, a lot more appealing than Princess Cays was. Granted, it was not bad, just not impressive. Princess Cays is more of a private beach considering you can walk up to the main part of Eleuthra

They use each other's private islands though. In fact, Carnival has even been using RCI's Coco Cay lately.
Right. But that has nothing to do with the cruise line's corporate structure or ownership.

I agree that HMC is much, much better than Princess Cays. Absolutely no comparison. However, it can't accommodate the Princess ships in addition to those already scheduled.

At the KFC near me, you can get Pizza Hut pizza. At the Taco Bell, you can get bread sticks. There is only one stock ticker symbol for Carnival. There is nothing that prohibits the cruise lines from sharing a "Carnival owned island". The real reason is that the cruise lines want one day of your cruise to feel "private" with you being the only ship there for the day instead of a more typical Caribbean port stop where your ship is one of 3. Or 4. Or 5. So it would be impossible to coordinate all of the HAL ships, Carnival ships and all of the Princess ships such that each could be at the island all by itself. Princess simply needs to up its game at Princess Cays.

Right. But that has nothing to do with the cruise line's corporate structure or ownership.

I agree that HMC is much, much better than Princess Cays. Absolutely no comparison. However, it can't accommodate the Princess ships in addition to those already scheduled.

I'm sure with some combined effort of all the companies and the size of the island, some engineer could figure something out. All those college degrees can put something together. And the carnival ships that I was on that did HMC did it as part of the Eastern route (i.e., HMC, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)

I think their advantage, like Disney, is they actually own the island and not "paying rent" like Princess Cays.

I'm sure with some combined effort of all the companies and the size of the island, some engineer could figure something out. All those college degrees can put something together. And the carnival ships that I was on that did HMC did it as part of the Eastern route (i.e., HMC, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)

I think their advantage, like Disney, is they actually own the island and not "paying rent" like Princess Cays.

Owning the island is one thing, but approvals for more development, preparing anchorages, mitigating environment concerns with the Bahamian Government might be a different matter.

Also, the Bahamas might just like the local work opportunities/jobs that Princess Cays provides.

While it is possible for more than one ship to be at HMC, the problem is the number of passengers ashore at any one time. There are only so many lounge chairs and space at the various shore facilities. The place is an overcrowded zoo when two HAL ship are there.

We've been to Half Moon Cay when two ships were there. Fortunately one of them was the Prinsendam (just 835 passengers) when we were on the Maasdam (1,258 passengers). The island was able to handle that number easily. I wouldn't want to be there when two larger ships were there at the same time.

I remember how impressed we were with Salt Cay back in 1984. Only a few hundred people, palm trees with hammocks, bbq (not so great, ever), and great snorkeling. I'm sure it has probably changed, and not for the better.

Now I haven't visited a private island on a cruise that didn't feel overcrowded and the bbq still isn't wonderful.

Frankly, I like Princess cay for what it is. As someone said, it is a private beach. There are activities there. It is a "natural" setting instead of some over developed island. Yes, the beach has rocks. But when we were there on a sunny day, it was pretty. The island itself is not much. But, I did learn on another trip to the island that in the 1960's it was a hot place to go. Apparently, many big celebrities like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and many other loved to go there and play golf.

Then, they moved on to other islands, and well, it never really recovered.

Obviously, there are people who don't like it, but IMHO, it does the job.

Having gone on my first Princess cruise on the Regal, one stop was Princess Cays. I wasn't impressed at all. Having cruised Carnival before, they stop at Half Moon Cay. Question is since they are all one company, why not use Half Moon Cay and "ditch" the Princess Cay stop?

Perhaps they get decent feedback on the stop at Princess Cays or their lease has years to go. Scheduling could be a problem and as others have said, more than one ship at HMC would be too crowded. If you haver ever been to Grand Turk with two ships, the first one docked fills up most of the landscape. The second ship has slim pickings.

I prefer the less crowded Princess Cays. I find it a restful pleasant beach and very pretty. My avatar is Princess Cays.

Sorry you were disappointed.

Just curious, have you contacted Princess with your concerns and recommendations?

As a few people have mentioned - Princess Cays is perfectly fine for a beach day. We've enjoyed relaxing on a lounger, the buffet is certainly decent by most standards, and though there are rocks, you can still enjoy the water. Another option worth mentioning - some folks choose to stay on the ship and just treat it like a sea day. On our upcoming B2B, we'll have two stops at PC - in all likelihood we'll tender over on one visit but not likely both - the other will be an extra day at sea. In any case....we won't be at work or have to cook or clean!

I've never been to Half Moon Cay...why is it better? I think Princess Cays is nice.

Having been to both, I feel that Half Moon Cay is far superior to Princess Cay for the following reasons:

Half Moon Cay has soft fine white sand that reminded me of confectioners sugar.

The ocean at Half Moon Cay is calm with no waves or undertow, has a rock-free soft white sand bottom, is clear (think swimming-pool-clear) and shallow--I walked out pretty far and it was only a little over waist-deep.

Princess Cay, on the other hand, has many submerged rocks hidden in the sand--some were downright large and hazardous. The tender announcer tells guests to watch out for "rocks" but the reason behind this advisory is not made clear. I found out later when my foot unsuspectingly twisted on a submerged rock/boulder when I was walking along what appeared to be a soft sandy beach.

The ocean at Princess Cay is not nearly as clear as HMC and has a rocky bottom and sea grass in many areas.

Personally, I would not get off the ship again in Princess Cay, but that's just me. It's not my kind of beach.