best public viewing areas on deck...

renaissancewoman101

for a small person? I am booked on Crown Princess's 9/5/15 Alaska sailing from Seattle. I am very excited about this trip since it will be my first time on a cruise and my first time to see Alaska and the icebergs.

I do have an inside room (A740) mainly to save money since I will be cruising solo so the rooms are more expensive for me. On the days they are cruising Glacier Bay and Ketchikan, I plan to be out on the deck to snare a good view.

My only concern is that I am on the small side (about 4'3"), so not sure where on the deck I can get a good view. From videos on YourTube, I see that there are railings around lots of the viewing areas on deck. How tall are they usually?

Also, if you want to do excursions like the heli flight onto the Mendenhall Glacier, can you wait till you are on ship to sign up for that, or do they sell out quickly? Also, I have heard that there are behind scenes ship tours. I am very interested in those? Can you sign up for them and pay for them before the date of the trip?

Thanks in advance, and as time gets closer, I probably will post more questions. I am excited about my first cruise.

Also, if you want to do excursions like the heli flight onto the Mendenhall Glacier, can you wait till you are on ship to sign up for that, or do they sell out quickly? To avoid disappointment, any excursion you want you should book before the cruise as they can fill up and the ones still available may have had an increase in pricing. I do not know about the heli flight, but most excursions can be cancelled at no penalty up until about 36 hours before the excursion.

Also, I have heard that there are behind scenes ship tours. I am very interested in those? Can you sign up for them and pay for them before the date of the trip? It is called the Ultimate Ship Tour (UST) and cannot be booked in advance. Sign up at the Purser's Desk ASAP after boarding as it is limited to about 12 people. Cost is $150/person and I have yet to see a post that it was not worth it.

Thanks in advance, and as time gets closer, I probably will post more questions. I am excited about my first cruise.

Ask away. There are many CC members willing to answer your questions.

The only foolish question is one you do not ask.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You started a good thread and there will be many that will chime in. No need to apologize for booking an inside as a solo. If you are a female, you will have lots of company. Not many men travel solo. But everyone will be happy to talk to you when you breakfast or lunch and are willing to share a table.

Now for viewing. I have a cruise on the Crown later this year. She has one extra deck so am not really familiar with this ship. You will be one deck below the Terrace Pool. It looks like you need to walk up one flight of steps from the inside (aft) stairs to the Riviera Deck and walk down (toward the stern) the stateroom corridors to get outside. In my opinion, this will be a great place to view everything. There are chairs, loungers, a bar, tables, chairs, and stools, some shade and a variety of other good features.

If you want something more shaded, walk to the bow on the Promenade Deck for more viewing opportunities but there are no places to sit.

Most people will camp out in the Horizon Court where it will be warmer and they can sit and eat all day long. This makes finding a place more difficult.

Wherever you choose, just enjoy the marvels of the beauty Nature is providing.

And yes, sign up for your excursions online if there is something you really want. Not only is it a few dollars cheaper, but you can cancel up to .... number of days???? before the tour. Cost you nothing to hold your place.

Depending on the Cruise Director, there is usually a cooking demonstration and a free walk through the galley. Sometimes the CD will do a behind the stage/curtain presentation. Not on all ships by all CD's.

Edited by cr8tiv1

My only concern is that I am on the small side (about 4'3"), so not sure where on the deck I can get a good view.

All around the Promenade deck, from aft to the bow. ;)

Skywalkers.

...for the most part which is an open railing along both sides of the ship and not a solid steel bulkhead like on the stern and bow...;) Not sure about the height, but it looks close to 4' or so.

8290487742_7ca76348e2_c.jpg

8289468281_28e9a3b716_c.jpg

8290493606_9c3b0ea973_c.jpg

8293279245_db3ca90db3_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Other things to think about...

I'm a bit taller than you.

-Life jackets are stored on the shelf above the closet. Remind the room steward that you need them down, otherwise they might get placed back up high

One cruise the room steward put the robes up there.

-The closet rod is a little bit more than 5' and

-the safe is a little bit lower.

-there are no hooks in the cabin but the walls are magnetic so feel free to bring your own

- I was not able to reach the retractable clothesline in the shower.

I'm a fan of the promenade deck. You get a different angle then you would on the upper decks. Don't stay in one spot. You'll have ample opportunity to see the glaciers from all different areas around the ship. Enjoy your trip,

My favorite viewing area is the upper part of the promenade at the bow of the ship. I'm a couple of feet taller and would not mind allowing someone shorter to stand in front of me if asked. Be sure to wear layers and bring gloves and a warm hat. A lot of people on our last cruise to Alaska weren't prepared for how cold it feels when the ship is sailing near the glaciers.

Thanks for all the advice. I now feel a bit more confident that I will be able to have a good view on the ship, despite not having a balcony cabin. SadieN, thanks for the tips about the life jackets.

I will also try to sign up for the excursions as soon as I can.

In regards to dining, I have signed up for "anytime dining" since I do not want to be restricted to dining times. I've traveled solo a lot so I tend to like to do things (eating) on the fly. With that being said, do the restaurants (which I know will cost additional), require reservations? I tend to be the type where, when I eat on my own schedule.

For a long time I've been reluctant to take cruises mainly because I like to travel solo and explore places on my own schedule.

My favorite viewing area is the upper part of the promenade at the bow of the ship. I'm a couple of feet taller and would not mind allowing someone shorter to stand in front of me if asked. Be sure to wear layers and bring gloves and a warm hat. A lot of people on our last cruise to Alaska weren't prepared for how cold it feels when the ship is sailing near the glaciers.

All excellent advice!! The great thing about the bow section of the Promenade Deck is that you basically have a 180 degree view (starboard to port). This is where we will be on our Crown Alaska cruise in July. :)

The challenge you may have is below the railing is solid opaque metal. I'm guessing the railing might be a bit high for you. If you look at Dave photos you can see what I mean. The shots with the open railing are along the sides of the ship.

You might find that the area mentioned by a previous poster at the stern on Deck 14 where the Terrace Pool is better fits your particular needs. However, I suggest getting there early for a prime spot and follow geoherb's advice and dress warm, especially when you're at Glacier Bay.

Whatever you decide, you're going to have an incredible vacation visiting Beautiful Alaska!!

Thanks for all the advice. I now feel a bit more confident that I will be able to have a good view on the ship, despite not having a balcony cabin. SadieN, thanks for the tips about the life jackets.

I will also try to sign up for the excursions as soon as I can.

In regards to dining, I have signed up for "anytime dining" since I do not want to be restricted to dining times. I've traveled solo a lot so I tend to like to do things (eating) on the fly. With that being said, do the restaurants (which I know will cost additional), require reservations? I tend to be the type where, when I eat on my own schedule.

For a long time I've been reluctant to take cruises mainly because I like to travel solo and explore places on my own schedule.

Excellent decision on the dining options. I too mostly travel solo and have absolutely loved it - especially cruising. Anytime Dining works very well when you want to be flexible with eating and activities. The speciality restaurants do take reservations, but what I have read here about Princess is that often you can walk up and go right in (it might be busier at "prime" eating times, but it sounds like you are fairly flexible) - if you really want to be sure of getting a table, you may want to make a reservation.

I hope you have a terrific cruise and that it will inspire you to continue travelling as a solo! You won't look back I'm quite sure. :)

My wife stands just at 5 feet. Here are a couple of shots of her by the rails. The first is on the Promenade deck of the Crown Princess. Three second is on an upper deck of the Coral Princess. But the rails are pretty much uniform.

These should give you some perspective.

392387210_rail1.jpg.dfb11476f3064ad62a5f9852912f73a4.jpg

2111666211_upperdeck.jpg.4e3798100d0b59aca70903e70c16b577.jpg

Anywhere on the open decks will give you a good view. The best views are from the upper open deck, deck 16. You can also get good views from the Promenade on deck 7 which is covered in case of inclement weather, from the Horizon Terrace Aft, also partially covered, and the decks it. No problem at 4' 3" you will be able to find a nice location. Good views from inside will be in Skywalkers Lounge, Deck 18 aft if you can find a seat.