My Viking Referral Program Nightmare

I decided to post my experience with Viking and their referral program after reading what others have gone through. My experience is similar.

We booked the Viking Star (Ocean cruise) when they announced they were building the ship back in 2013 and paid in full for it at the end of 2013. That cruise is coming up this September. Last year we went on two Viking river cruises. We went to China and we did the Romantic Danube itinerary. Both were fantastic trips and I posted trip reports on CC when we came back. I am a frequent poster on CC and I have met a lot of people through CC. I often post to help others as others have helped me with my cruise planning. On some cruises I have gone on I have met people through CC that we ended up booking private excursions with. I met one couple that we shared transportation with to Prague after disembarking our Viking cruise in Nuremberg. OTHER cruise lines (both ocean and river) have referral programs and have threads on cruise critic and that is allowed and encouraged by the various cruise lines. People post in these threads if they are seeking a referral and people post if they are offering a referral.

I started making referrals to Viking back in 2013 to friends, family and some people that we met during our travels. I have recommended Viking to many people. A few months ago I did post my customer number on CC under the referral thread (as others have done) and a few people called Viking from that and got a referral as a result. I in turn received a referral, or so I thought.

Then a few weeks ago, someone who works in my office (who I had referred a year ago) had booked a Viking China trip for this year told me that their referral was taken away and that they now had a balance of $200 owing on their cruise. I told them there must be some mistake, but later found out from my travel agent that Viking queried a couple people who recently booked and they were asked by Viking how they knew me. When those few people told Viking that they found me on CC, what Viking did was VOID every single referral I have made to them and put a HOLD on my customer number so I could no longer make any referrals. I was shocked. There was no notice from Viking that they were doing this....they just did it. Some of the past referrals had been credited on my cruises last year, but the majority of the referrals I made to Viking were issued to me as a credit on my credit card since my upcoming cruise was paid in full two years ago. This meant that if they voided the referrals and reversed them that I was now owing a large balance on my upcoming cruise, and all the people had referred would now have a $200 balance owing on their cruise.

At first I could not find anything in their "rules" about this but I did eventually find something, which I believe was JUST ADDED by Viking. If you go to the Viking website and click on http://www.vikingcruises.com/about-us/referral-rewards.html and from there click on the part that says: "Click Viking Referral Rewards to view detailed information about eligibility and restrictions" you can read the recently added part that states: "Advertising of customer name or ID number in public forums such as on the internet, social media, or public newsletters is considered misuse of Viking referral rewards program. Rewards earned will be voided without further notice". So everyone who had posted on CC just their name would be subject to having every referral voided.

The owner of my travel agency contacted Viking on my behalf and they refused to discuss it with him, replying that “this is between Viking and Carol”. After my numerous email exchanges and phone calls with someone at Viking over the past few weeks, I was eventually emailed a list with all my referrals and I was asked which ones I knew and which ones I didn't know. As I knew the majority I responded truthfully to the email and a few days ago received a reply stating that the referrals will be reinstated, but not the few recent ones that came from CC. They were not on the list and they would not give me credit for those. The person I spoke with said she was going on the Viking Star this week and when she got back would be sorting it all out, but she said my customer number is still FROZEN, meaning I can't make any new referrals.

Another poster had pointed out that that in the VIKING REWARDS REFERRAL PROGRAM BROCHURE that they mail out (I have gotten several in the mail, and one just a couple of days ago) it specifically states "Don't forget to share your cruise experience with friends through Facebook and Pinterest, or pass along a brochure....". What do they think will happen by doing that? If you post something on Facebook or Pinterest obviously it is posted with your name, and lots of people you may know or may not know read these and may decide to book a Viking cruise because of that. This verbiage conflicts with the policy on their website. On one hand they are telling you NOT to post your information on Social Media, and then in their own referral program brochure they are encouraging you to spread the word in Social Media, on sites such as Facebook and Pinterest.

I personally think Viking has made a huge mistake by disallowing referrals from whatever source they come from, but if they have changed the program recently they should not have made it retroactive and they should have notified me. They should have stated that going forward these are the new rules. I can't believe that they would spend the time to call people to find out if they know the referring person. I think Viking has created such bad-will by doing this. After all, I have been a huge cheerleader for Viking and instead of appreciating that they have given me a really hard time. I have told so many people what a good experience we had....most people I know, and some I don't know.

I am the poster who contacted the host to have the referral thread taken down, and I specifically asked for my posts which had my customer number to be removed. At first the thread was taken down but I see it is now back up, subject to Viking clarifying the referral rules with CC.

I read with interest the post by franski and what Viking did to resolve her issue. It seems that all her referrals were reinstated as well as the credit towards a free cruise that was booked. Franski, if you read this please email me (my email is below) with the name and contact information of the person you spoke with at Viking. I would appreciate that.

Yes this is a big mess. Viking monitor these threads to promote themselves and to respond to negative comments and now it seems they are monitoring the threads to try and save a few bucks that they think may not be truly earned. Members sharing positive experiences and encouraging others is a huge free advertising mechanism for Viking and now they want to kick those very people who are doing the free advertising for Viking!:mad:

I have to say, this entire Viking fiasco leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, not only with Viking but with Cruise Critic too. I've met some great folks through Cruise Critic. We became friends on the roll call and then met on the cruise. I've subsequently met up with them when they came to NYC on holiday. I've also have met great friends on cruises who never heard of CC. A referral is a referral.

I can understand Viking changing their rules, but I cannot understand doing it retroactively. Maybe if enough people are screwed by this they can find a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit.

I have to say, this entire Viking fiasco leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, not only with Viking but with Cruise Critic too. I've met some great folks through Cruise Critic. We became friends on the roll call and then met on the cruise. I've subsequently met up with them when they came to NYC on holiday. I've also have met great friends on cruises who never heard of CC. A referral is a referral.

I am 100% behind Fran and the others who have been so badly treated by Viking. I can't believe Viking is being so petty over this when you consider all the business they have gotten through CC members referrals, it sounds like complete greed on their part and a very bad marketing move. but I do have to ask why you're upset with Cruise Critic.....unless I've missed something, it would appear CC has had nothing to do with this other than to contact Viking for clarification.

Carol, we have talked previously on CC and you have provided me with lots of very good and positive information about Viking and I appreciate that. Recently I have read some comments that have made me question whether Viking is the correct choice for us and this situation and the way they have treated you definitely "seals the deal". I think we will look to AMA instead of Viking for our Rhine river cruise. Good luck with your dealings with Viking and I hope you find a new river cruise line that treats you with the respect and appreciation you deserve.

Carol, we have talked previously on CC and you have provided me with lots of very good and positive information about Viking and I appreciate that. Recently I have read some comments that have made me question whether Viking is the correct choice for us and this situation and the way they have treated you definitely "seals the deal". I think we will look to AMA instead of Viking for our Rhine river cruise. Good luck with your dealings with Viking and I hope you find a new river cruise line that treats you with the respect and appreciation you deserve.

Thank you! I do share good and positive information about Viking with others as we have had very good cruises with them. Frankly I am surprised in the way they are handling this, especially since Viking is encouraging us to promote them on Facebook and Pinterest in the "Viking Referral Rewards" brochure that they mail out. I don't see how that is any different from posting on CC. CC is a great venue for sharing information and for making recommendations to fellow travelers. I hope that they come to their senses and do the right thing. Sorry you have decided not to cruise with Viking. That was not my intention to dissuade you from booking a Viking cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard back from Viking today. They are reinstating the referrals I made to friends and family and they say they will be reactivating my customer number so I can continue to make referrals to my friends and family.

I mentioned that Cruise Critic is waiting for an explanation about the changes to their referral program and she replied: I have forwarded the information regarding Cruise Critic to the team in charge of Social Media to review and handle as they see fit.

I still don't understand them sending out a VIKING REFERRAL BROCHURE where it clearly states that they want us to post on Facebook and Pinterest. I pointed out that if I post on Facebook and someone I don't know reads that and books a cruise with Viking, then that referral should be granted, but I did not get a clear answer. I don't see how that is any different from posting on CC. Maybe when they do contact CC they will provide an explanation.

I never got an apology for the way they treated me. After being such a loyal customer and after referring so many people to them you would think they would be grateful, but they never contacted me and went ahead and VOIDED every referral I made and FROZE my customer number so I could no longer make any new referrals.

I heard back from Viking today. They are reinstating the referrals I made to friends and family and they say they will be reactivating my customer number so I can continue to make referrals to my friends and family.

Hi Carol - Glad that they finally made it "right" - although, this process shouldn't take that much work!!

I never got an apology for the way they treated me. After being such a loyal customer and after referring so many people to them you would think they would be grateful, but they never contacted me and went ahead and VOIDED every referral I made and FROZE my customer number so I could no longer make any new referrals.

I did get an apology - but it came from someone in Customer Service - NOT from the reservations department (the department that started the whole punitive process rolling....). Viking continues to be very quiet about this whole thing - so have a sense that we (ie: Viking customers, members of CC) haven't heard the final word on this issue.

This will continue to have far reaching repercussions. I have been contacted off-line by someone that I met on our Rhone cruise last year. She said that she and her husband had considered Viking after my reviews about our Eastern European cruise. However, after reading the posts on CC about this whole referral credit fiasco, they have decided not to travel with Viking - and are going back to Avalon. Customer service is a high priority for them - and this doesn't portray Viking in a very positive light.

I wonder if Viking will ever chime in here - or on another thread on CC - to explain the changes to the referral program. If they decide to scrap the program, they could save thousands of dollars in paper and postage!!!

BTW, haven't had ANY advertising from Viking at all since the beginning of the year. Now, if I could just get Oceania to stop sending glossy brochures every week, I would be happy!!!

Fran

Edited by franski

Hi Fran, I'd be happy to share some of my Viking brochures with you....its a rare day when I don't receive at least one from them, sometimes more. We've never sailed with them and not even sure how the got my name!

Ditto. But I won't take Oceania brochures in trade, because I also get those practically every day. I had to buy a larger recycle bin for all the cruise brochures! :eek:

Hi Fran, I'd be happy to share some of my Viking brochures with you....its a rare day when I don't receive at least one from them, sometimes more. We've never sailed with them and not even sure how the got my name!

Thanks - but got a Viking one in the mail today... and surprise - it is the one letting me know about their referral program!!!

F.

Thanks - but got a Viking one in the mail today... and surprise - it is the one letting me know about their referral program!!!

F.

Is it still too early to chuckle about the irony? I hope not, because your post sounds like you're a little amused by that too... :)

Kinda speaks loudly about the type of company they are and their view of their "Loyal Customers"!

They have called both you and Franski liars, and accused you both of "Fraud", and then not bothered to apologize. I think it may be time to find a new favorite cruise company.

I know my future travel choices will not include Viking!

PS super sad that something like this could happen to two travelers who so loudly proclaimed their enjoyment and loyalty of the Viking product!

Edited by JVilleGal

Kinda speaks loudly about the type of company they are and their view of their "Loyal Customers"!

They have called both you and Franski liars, and accused you both of "Fraud", and then not bothered to apologize. I think it may be time to find a new favorite cruise company.

I know my future travel choices will not include Viking!

PS super sad that something like this could happen to two travelers who so loudly proclaimed their enjoyment and loyalty of the Viking product!

J'ville.....maybe they have more than enough customers and don't need any more business? :confused:

J'ville.....maybe they have more than enough customers and don't need any more business? :confused:

Actually I think that is their attitude! They look all pretty on PBS and there are plenty of other customers where we came from... ;)

Edited by JVilleGal

Actually I think that is their attitude! They look all pretty on PBS and there are plenty of other customers where we came from... ;)

Yup and we're sailing on AMA, Uniworld, Vantage, GCT and a host of others. This was a major marketing blunder and I am really amazed that their PR people haven't dealt with it or at least tried to put a positive spin on it.