Dining room tip adjustment.

Nope never. Those same waiters serve you in buffet, pizza place, etc. so I look at it as tipping for all services, not just MDR.

That said, I sure wish we didn't have to tip ever and it was just part of cruise price. But I know it is just what it is.

I have no doubt at all that people do.

We figure that those that work breakfast and lunch shifts, often the staff that works in the MDR at dinner, would also be shafted if those tips were decreased or removed, so we would never think of doing it. But, as said, I have no doubt people do.

I know I am going to get some backlash from this question. However, I'm wondering if you never eat in the mdr does anyone adjust the dining room tips down.

The "dining services" gratuities are not just for the main dining room staff. They are for all of the eating venues around the ship. That would include the Windjammer buffet, Promenade Café, Sorrento, Park Cafe etc. if you plan to eat in any venue on the ship, you may want to reconsider your thought on removing the gratuity.

I understand you can go to guest services to remove a gratuity, however, I believe they ask you if it is because of poor service, so they can address any service issues.

Enjoy.

M

I'm with Martikus. I wish there was no automatic gratuity. Is it really a gratuity if it is automatic? Just raise the price $12 a day per person, say the gratuities are included and let me give a voluntary additional tip for good service that was provided to me. I know some folks won't provide any additional tip but they wouldn't have to. This also allows me to not give any additional tip if the service isn't good. I don't know why the cruise lines are hooked on making you pay extra for gratuities and sodas. Just include them in the base price!

A portion of the auto gratuity is for "dining services" not specifically for the MDR. Best to leave auto gratuities in place to be sure all who serve you are compensated. Makes it very easy and so much better than tipping as you go...or loading up envelopes with cash on the last night of the cruise to hand deliver!

No I never have and never will. The tipping amount is divided through more members of the crew than just waiter, assistant and headwaiter. Also Folks at other venues like Windjammer are included. Anyway it´s not my Business and I just leave the recommended in place and if I think someone should receive something extra I give that Person some cash in Addition.

On our last few cruises, we have eaten in specialty restaurants every night. We don't remove dining room gratuities. Like others have said, we use other venues around the ship where the dining room staff also work outside of dinner.

I know I am going to get some backlash from this question. However, I'm wondering if you never eat in the mdr does anyone adjust the dining room tips down.

unless you eat breakfast lunch and dinner in a specialty restaurant where the fees covers that, there is ZERO valid excuse to reduce or eliminate the wait staff portion of the tips. (crappy service that does not get resolved after complaining about it to the right people excepted of course)

the amount set aside for the dining staff covers ALL meals in included venues, not just the MDR.. the buffet, poolside, Park Cafe, Promenade

Is it even possible? Can one go to guest services and remove only the "dining services" portion of the auto grats? I thought you can only remove an amount but the division of the amount left still goes to the various people, so you can never really deny the dining staff.

Is it even possible? Can one go to guest services and remove only the "dining services" portion of the auto grats? I thought you can only remove an amount but the division of the amount left still goes to the various people, so you can never really deny the dining staff.

I've seen the gratuity modification forms at Guest Services and it appears you can list specific crewmembers and set their gratuity amount.

Another option is to opt for no auto gratuities, and then give cash to those you wish.

I believe that the service staff have access to information on which passengers are having auto gratuities charged to onboard accounts or prepaid. I know stateroom attendants keep an eye on their tips. I suspect dining room wait staff do the same.

Dining room staff are assigned extra duties, from folding napkins to duty in the Windjammer. There are many "behind the scenes" tasks that relate to food service, with tasks assigned based on seniority and performance.

That said, on a 17 day cruise with a majority of British and European passengers, we witnessed a very long line at the service desk - passengers requesting removal of tips from their accounts. There are many interpretations and customs relating to tipping and service fees. No system is totally fair.

We never dine in the MDR and we would never, ever, even consider reducing the gratuities.

It only would be remotely appropriate if you left an equivalent gratuity every time you dined in another venue. But, what bother? Just leave the gratuities alone.

We are a family of teachers, military and police officers so we take how we spend our money seriously since we don't have a lot of "disposable" income. We would NEVER adjust the tip portion and we always give extra to our cabin steward and waiters/asst waiter. Maybe it's because we recognize how hard we work for our money that we would never do something like this to others who work hard for a living. Maybe it's because we believe that how you treat service employees is a sign of what type person you are. If we can't afford to tip, whether it's at a restaurant, hotel or on a cruise, we just don't go. We budget the tips in when we plan the trip.

Why would I??? And the simple answer is no.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In before someone tells you that you just impoverished the family of the guy who washes table clothes.

nice to see you appreciate there hardwork....

id hate to have to serve you and depend on your tip to make a living.. not sure if i could pay my bills the smiley face you probably leave in the tip section.. lol

Edited by Aintnofun007

I'm with Martikus. I wish there was no automatic gratuity. Is it really a gratuity if it is automatic? Just raise the price $12 a day per person, say the gratuities are included and let me give a voluntary additional tip for good service that was provided to me. I know some folks won't provide any additional tip but they wouldn't have to. This also allows me to not give any additional tip if the service isn't good. I don't know why the cruise lines are hooked on making you pay extra for gratuities and sodas. Just include them in the base price!

The reason they don't do that is because it makes their advertisd price higher. Say royal raised the fare by $18 per day (roughly the cost of gratuities and soda) a consumer comparing prices sees that it is a few hundred higher than another line which doesn't include those in the advertised price. Experienced cruisers will understand, but many first time cruisers would just select the cruise line showing a 'better price'.

But isn't it like this now? You pay the automatic gratuity, (which should be called a daily service charge), then you are either done as you don't HAVE to give anything extra or, you can give extra if you feel it is warranted.

If you want it included in the base price, what difference does it make when you pay it?

I have typically seen MDR wait staff serving or busing tables in the buffet or other areas, so I feel that cutting out the wait staff tips would still screw them either way. I just pay the auto gratuity regardless of where I eat my meals. I will tip extra for exemplary service though, but have never adjusted the auto tips down, nor do I plan on doing so.

nice to see you appreciate there hardwork....

id hate to have to serve you and depend on your tip to make a living.. not sure if i could pay my bills the smiley face you probably leave in the tip section.. lol

All I did was answer someones question.

But since you are so nosy, judgmental, and misguided; I don't leave smiley faces, those fake Jesus bucks, or poems. I leave CASH. Not that it is any of your business. Why are you attacking me for answering someones question. Usually I am the only one to give a factual answer which is the purpose of this website. If you don't like the answer, write to RCI and tell them you don't like their policy.

Edited by LMaxwell

The reason they don't do that is because it makes their advertisd price higher. Say royal raised the fare by $18 per day (roughly the cost of gratuities and soda) a consumer comparing prices sees that it is a few hundred higher than another line which doesn't include those in the advertised price. Experienced cruisers will understand, but many first time cruisers would just select the cruise line showing a 'better price'.

Just a couple of comments. First, it's still a "tip" as you have the option to remove it, reduce it, or raise it. It's like going to a restaurant with a large group and having the "gratuity" added to the bill. No difference.

Since it is a tip it is treated differently for tax purposes. Don't know about the cruise lines, but at least in the U.S. if the tip is included in the bill, and not broken out separately, then I believe that it is now considered "salary" and there are certain tax ramifications to that. May be the same with the cruise line. I agree that the price of the cruise would show higher, but prices are never the same. If you look at RCCL for one week, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, and Princess for the exact same week and similar itinerary, there is complete differences in pricing. No one would notice $12 per day addition. They would likely notice "all gratuities included" though.