How did you book your Oceania cruise.

tedcruise

I'm not sure what you mean with your question about the air program.

As to booking, we have used a TA ever since Renaissance days. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't book directly on your own but well established TAs with Oceania often give perks -- by that I mean paid gratuities and/or OBC. I don't know if you get those perks the first time out the gate, however.

As to air, we usually book our own but on a very few occasions we have used O's air. We are at a gateway city which makes it easier. We've never been unhappy with their scheduling but since we prefer NOT to travel in coach these days, we usually find it better to book our own.

Bear in mind that if you book business class with O's air it will be in coach on legs that are over land. If you are over the ocean, then you will have true business class. BUT the prices are usually pretty fearsome. Sometimes you can book economy with O that will permit you to upgrade using miles, but we haven't had much luck with that ... There are other experts here who can give you better advice than I can.

On our first cruise with Renaissance (Lisbon to Barcelona in Oct '99) we heard nightmare itineraries from other passengers ... these were mostly people who had to travel to the gateway airport. So we decided never to use Ren's air, and we didn't. This hasn't seemed to be such a problem with Oceania. (They were nightmares because people from the midwest, for example, were having two or three airport changes ... I'm not up for that when I'm flying overseas!)

Hope this helps ...

Mura

We always book through our agent who has been fabulous, and she enjoys working with Oceania as well as she feels they respond very well with special requests. I wouldn't be able to do that directly I don't believe.

Now about the air. I have done both O air and my own air. I try and research the routes and make recommendations to O of our preferences. We have never gotten the routes that we wanted, and we are in a gateway city. A couple of times their air was more satisfactory. It is a crap shoot. I just feel that they don't really listen to us about air.

On a recent trip, other couples from my area were booked on different routes for the same trip. At our age, we found three transfers on one leg was outrageous. On another trip, our arrangements by O were quite satisfactory.

You would have to do your homework on the air part, but if you have the right agent for the booking question, go that route. Mura is correct. The TA can have some excellent perks.

I think it's better to book thought your Travel Agent. Make sure it's someone that you enjoying working with, and make sure you get everything in writing so their will be no questions later. It's important to have trust, but the TA needs to earn that trust. Not all TA's are the same......and watch out for the ones that are always cruising , you want one that works for you-one that you can get a hold of when you need them.

Rick

We always book through a TA who specializes in O as well as just a few other top lines- no mass market ones.

You can still Book with O and within a given amount of time still transfer your booking to your TA. A good TA will make the deal far better with dollars and onboard extras.

We used to use a TA to initially book, but the last cruise with O, we booked direct with O as we did have special requests that I verified they could assist with and had them immediately put it into the booking (in writing). We received the O promo OBC, gratuities, etc, then 'moved our booking' to a TA that gave us more OBC than O gave us in the promo (I shopped around for deals). You just email your O agent and give them the email address and name of your new TA. They transferred it immediately (copying me on the transfer). We received all promo and addl benefits as detailed by both (in writing prior to sailing and onboard). We usually book our own flights, not because of price, but itinerary (we like to stay overnight in our embarkation port at least one day usually due to DH's health concerns ) and sometimes long fly times cause him to become worn down. I like having control over my flight times and connections for this reason. However, as you can tell, I am a bit of a control freak, so I do an addl step, that a good TA could probably do for you automatically, I just prefer hearing confirmations direct from O vs a TA (I have been burned by a 'good O TA' once when she said she took care of something, but didn't). Bottom line, in cruising, go with who you trust and don't be afraid to shop around for a TA either online or in person that is willing to work with you, and has O booking experience (ask them or research on the web). You will hear both sides I am sure on this thread.

I've had very good results booking directly with Oceania- but using one of their agents (Prestige Cruises) for all contacts over the first couple of cruises. I've now started using a TA for additional benefits beyond the Oceania offers.

Oceania Air has been very good for me on flights to Europe. I research the flights I want, then go to the Oceania agent with a deviation request for dates and those specific airlines/flights. Have so far been able to get the flights I requested at no extra charge. Also, I've requested that Oceania Air buy the actual air tickets at the time I make final payment instead of waiting until 30 days before the cruise sailing. Once the tickets are purchased, I've been able to buy the upgrade from the airline site to economy comfort seats. The TA will be able to do the same arrangements with their regular contacts at Oceania when I give them my preferred flights, etc.

You can easily check what the air credit will be from Oceania by going through a test booking on line. The cruise cost as presented includes air but you can select "without air" on the test booking and the cost will come up for each stateroom level priced without air.

In addition to the OBC and other perks already described, there are TA's who will rebate at least 10% of the commissionable value of your cruise and that can mean thousands of dollars back in your pocket and for some that is much better than OBC that may or may not be refundable.

Also, the TA is working for you while the cruise line cruise consultant is working for the cruise line. Make your own conclusions about that issue.

Another vote for TA. I wish Cruise Critic would allow us to give more info, as I'm pretty sure many of the others who responded use the same TA as I do. It was easier on the old Yahoo Groups forum; TA's were allowed to identify themselves, and I picked the one who seemed most knowledgeable. I'm sure some others here also did the same.

As for air, I always use Oceania air arrangements unless I have enough frequent flyer miles to do my own. I also always pay the deviation fee and get my air information early. In every case so far, the Oceania arrangements were as good or better than I could have done on my own, and considerably less expensive. However, in my opinion the best practice is to use a knowledgeable TA to request a deviation, examine the proposals made by Oceania, research flights on your own, and choose whichever fits your needs better.

This question is interesting....I really have to question these posts about TA's rebating back a certain percentage of the price of the cruise in the form of OBC....! I have yet to talk to anyone who actually has one of these TA's and I can not figure out how the TA can afford to give up so much commission...:confused:

And, yes, I have a TA who specializes in O and sells a lot of O cruises....so color me confused!

Edited by takemewithyou

This question is interesting....I really have to question these posts about TA's rebating back a certain percentage of the price of the cruise in the form of OBC....! I have yet to talk to anyone who actually has one of these TA's and I can not figure out how the TA can afford to give up so much commission...:confused:

And, yes, I have a TA who specializes in O and sells a lot of O cruises....so color me confused!

You may need to talk to a few more folks, me included. Current and previous TA were top O producers and added OBC to existing O perks while also advocating successfully for O price matches on special fare deals I found after initial booking.

That said, I suggest book future cruise with O while on board to get early book et al savings/perks and current cruise OBC. Once home, transfer to TA for added OBC and O advocacy for matching any new perks or price drops. Use O air credit with added $ and FF miles to secure business air for arrival extra days pre and post cruise.

We're from the UK, and book through a travel agent (except that, as above, we did buy onboard vouchers in order to receive a further 5% on a future cruise but then booked through TA). I think it works differently here in England - but correct me if I'm wrong - because the only OBC offers we see are direct from O, but we do receive 10-12% discount on the published prices. We always book our own airfare because we have many, many air miles and like to use these to fly business/first. Also, I like to pick and choose our flights. I would be interested to know whether in the US you receive both the discount and the OBC. If so, I need to sharpen up my negotiating skills!

Unfortunately cannot name TA's who really can and do rebate 10% but, assure you they exist and can afford to provide the rebate as well as make a nice profit for themselves. You simply need to ask around and do a search. And, they are extremely knowledgeable of Oceania and other Luxury and near Luxury lines and do get the special discounted cruises from Oceania and others. In fact our TA is on the Board of TA Advisors of Oceania and Regent so before others state that rebates are limited, all TA's are allowed to exceed the PCH limitations as long as they don't advertise it. Meaning you won't see these prices in a public forum but, they will provide them to you in writing in private quotes.

Good luck and happy hunting,

I see this a lot too, where people get "hundreds, even thousands of $$ perks".

I book inside cabins. The cheapest. I might get 75.00 OBC, but in order to get those huge credits and perks, you would have to be booking an expensive stateroom.

Not sure what you are confused about but many rebate a percentage in the form of an OBC but some also send a rebate check to your home. Something nice to come home to. Do your homework and you will find one of these TAs. We found ours on the recommend O TA site the year they went into business and have been with them since then.

I book inside cabins. The cheapest. I might get 75.00 OBC, but in order to get those huge credits and perks, you would have to be booking an expensive stateroom.

Almost completely untrue. Yes, you won't get the huge credits but, you will get the 10% or more of what you paid back in cash.

Which is better for most people, OBC that you have to pay or lose or cash that YOU can choose how to spend?? Gets annoying after awhile to have to spend the OBC on overpriced stuff that you really don't need when you could be getting cash that reduces the amount you end up paying for your cruise.

Even inside cabins cost in the thousands of dollars for the cruise and 10% isn't a pittance like the $75 OBC your TA appears to give you while keeping hundreds, if not thousands of dollars depending on the length of cruises you book.

Not really difficult to find those great TA's with significant rebates, sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

Almost completely untrue. Yes, you won't get the huge credits but, you will get the 10% or more of what you paid back in cash.

Which is better for most people, OBC that you have to pay or lose or cash that YOU can choose how to spend?? Gets annoying after awhile to have to spend the OBC on overpriced stuff that you really don't need when you could be getting cash that reduces the amount you end up paying for your cruise.

Even inside cabins cost in the thousands of dollars for the cruise and 10% isn't a pittance like the $75 OBC your TA appears to give you while keeping hundreds, if not thousands of dollars depending on the length of cruises you book.

Not really difficult to find those great TA's with significant rebates, sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

For the 2699.00 Med cruise I booked (including the O air), I should be expecting 260.00 pp back??? My TA's commission is that high on such a low priced cruise??

For the 2699.00 Med cruise I booked (including the O air), I should be expecting 260.00 pp back??? My TA's commission is that high on such a low priced cruise??

Not exactly that number but, close. The rebate is based on the commisionable amount and that does not include air or the taxes. Don't forget it is based on everyone so times two assuming you are a couple.

Really amazing pricing for an O Med Cruise. The commission % is not based on the price of the cruise. As far as I know it is the same whether your cruise is the price you quoted or $50K pp.

Commissions to the better TA's are significantly more and almost double the 10% you would get back. Sure there are TA's that don't get the same commission but, you only want to deal with the better ones who do get that higher commission.

Has to make people who book direct wonder when they are giving the cruise line almost 20% additional profit when you could get more than half of that back in cash rebates.

You may need to talk to a few more folks, me included. Current and previous TA were top O producers and added OBC to existing O perks while also advocating successfully for O price matches on special fare deals I found after initial booking.

That said, I suggest book future cruise with O while on board to get early book et al savings/perks and current cruise OBC. Once home, transfer to TA for added OBC and O advocacy for matching any new perks or price drops. Use O air credit with added $ and FF miles to secure business air for arrival extra days pre and post cruise.

Best answer given so far imo

A "B" balcony cabin on Oceania for a usual 10 day cruise (to places like Alaska or Med) should get you at least $500 (per cabin) in TA OBC. Of course, this is in addition to whatever O is offering at time of booking or thereafter before final payment. There are also certain select occasions when the TA can get a price drop adjustment after final payment. Note, however, that a significant refund/credit for a price drop may find an associated drop in the TA OBC contribution.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer