Nasty comment from staff

thatdarnpunk

I get the Premium Drink package when cruising Celebrity. I do tip the Martini Bar bartenders on good service and they do appreciate it. After the first two or three days, they do not even take my keycard for payment as I am "in the system". They know what my two favorite drinks are and will ask "Johnny Walker Black or Pravda martini" when I sit at the bar. I also like blue cheese stuffed olives in my martini so I bring a jar of my own olives. The bartenders will store them in the bar fridge, not give them to others, and will garnish my martini with my own olives.

Service like this IS worth a few dollars tip every couple of days, isn't it?

So paying $5 gets you preferential treatment :cool: .......

But what about the anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA (The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, as amended, 15 U.S.C. §§ 78dd-1, et seq. "FCPA") that prohibit the willful use of the mails or any means of instrumentality of interstate commerce corruptly in furtherance of any offer, payment, promise to pay, or authorization of the payment of money or anything of value to any person, while knowing that all or a portion of such money or thing of value will be offered, given or promised, directly or indirectly, to an official to influence the official in his or her official capacity, induce the official to do or omit to do an act in violation of his or her lawful duty, or to secure any improper advantage in order to assist in obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person:eek:

Is giving $5 to beat the line a tip or a bribe;););)

Really? I mean really! Let's not be so PC here, ok?

We sailed on the Silhouette last December, like the OP we were also on the Western Caribbean itinerary. We enjoyed the cruise, however the one thing that did annoy me was also a rude bartender. I bought a beer no problem, but when I ordered a second the waiter told me they had an offer on and I could buy several for a discounted price. I declined for him to tell me what a great offer it was and how I could take them back to my room etc. I had to say 'no' three times before he went away. He gave me a very disgruntled look and then seemed to avoid our table later on.

I'm not sure if he was just an idiot or whether or not he was under pressure from management to sell a number of these offers, but either way it wasn't very good customer service and let Celebrity down as the rest of the service was good.

We sailed on the Silhouette last December, like the OP we were also on the Western Caribbean itinerary. We enjoyed the cruise, however the one thing that did annoy me was also a rude bartender. I bought a beer no problem, but when I ordered a second the waiter told me they had an offer on and I could buy several for a discounted price. I declined for him to tell me what a great offer it was and how I could take them back to my room etc. I had to say 'no' three times before he went away. He gave me a very disgruntled look and then seemed to avoid our table later on.

I'm not sure if he was just an idiot or whether or not he was under pressure from management to sell a number of these offers, but either way it wasn't very good customer service and let Celebrity down as the rest of the service was good.

Won't you be pissed if someone told you THREE TIMES NO?

So paying $5 gets you preferential treatment :cool: .......

But what about the anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA (The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, as amended, 15 U.S.C. §§ 78dd-1, et seq. "FCPA") that prohibit the willful use of the mails or any means of instrumentality of interstate commerce corruptly in furtherance of any offer, payment, promise to pay, or authorization of the payment of money or anything of value to any person, while knowing that all or a portion of such money or thing of value will be offered, given or promised, directly or indirectly, to an official to influence the official in his or her official capacity, induce the official to do or omit to do an act in violation of his or her lawful duty, or to secure any improper advantage in order to assist in obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person:eek:

Is giving $5 to beat the line a tip or a bribe;););)

ROFLMAO! We have never seen the FCPA applied to tipping, but we give you a gold star for making the connection. You surely must be a lawyer (or have one in the family).

Hank

ROFLMAO! We have never seen the FCPA applied to tipping, but we give you a gold star for making the connection. You surely must be a lawyer (or have one in the family).

Hank

It was ment to be tounge in cheek but yes DW:) is a lawyer:eek:

I've been known to bribe a bartender or two in my day. Heck bribery is the second oldest human activity after breathing. ;) But if you don't want to bribe and feel the 18% 'tax' is more than enough, fine. If you want to bribe $100 a drink, fine. It's your money. Do want you want with it.

Correction: Realistically, it's your DW's money. Do what she wants with it. ;):D

You left out the activity of sex. Surely that is higher than bribery - unless you consider that the act of receiving sex is a bribe to get something else. LOL!!

DON

You are already paying 18 ever-loving percent on each drink. I can't fathom the motivation to (or the level of service that could be given to) give someone additional money on top of that.

I'd definitely stop passing out additional cash if that's the kind of reception it's going to get.

Exactly!

Whether you pay by the individual drink or buy a drink package, that 18% is already added to what you are charged. Why feel the need to tip more?

The only time I tip extra is at Happy Hour, where the drinks are free, so the staff get no tips.

You brought up a good point.

We had received some outstanding service so when we received the "Attention to Detail" (or a similarly named ) card I filled it out with the names of the crew that had been so wonderful.

The next day the people I named came over to thank me because their supervisors had noted it to them.

One crew member did say that the comments on those cards carry much more weight than the end of cruise surveys.

I am wondering if we have seen the impact of Attention to Detail cards in promotions. You have kindly posted elsewhere about Anita who is now Maitre D in Luminae. We first met her just a few years ago, she was an Assistant Waitress on Solstice. She was phenomenal, we put in an Attention to Detail card because we watched and saw how she covered for less stellar waiters and really "managed" breakfasts.

We met her again as the Hostess and again, her charm and skill in ensuring our allergies were looked after correctly was first class and in that situation, she recovered a situation where the maitre d was incompetent (the only word I can use) so we put in a card.

On both cruises, I know others put in cards. Yes we gave her extra cash but I would like to think the reason for her well earned promotion is through these cards, she came on the various hotel director's radars. Maybe we shoukd call these cards the golden tips

I am wondering if we have seen the impact of Attention to Detail cards in promotions. You have kindly posted elsewhere about Anita who is now Maitre D in Luminae. We first met her just a few years ago, she was an Assistant Waitress on Solstice. She was phenomenal, we put in an Attention to Detail card because we watched and saw how she covered for less stellar waiters and really "managed" breakfasts.

We met her again as the Hostess and again, her charm and skill in ensuring our allergies were looked after correctly was first class and in that situation, she recovered a situation where the maitre d was incompetent (the only word I can use) so we put in a card.

On both cruises, I know others put in cards. Yes we gave her extra cash but I would like to think the reason for her well earned promotion is through these cards, she came on the various hotel director's radars. Maybe we shoukd call these cards the golden tips

Thanks for the reminder about the cards.

I think we might have been on the Solstice cruise with you.

Yes, Anita was an assistant waitress on that cruise but it was obvious that she was headed for bigger things. We became pretty close to her as we were on for 35 days and have many food restrictions so i asked her. She didn't really answer but said that everyone has to work everywhere.

(The maitre D' on that cruise was Marion, who was also WONDERFUL, and they seemed to be good friends.)

I was only afraid that she was headed for F & B manager and we'd never see her again. At least in Luminae we can stop by and say hello.

Anyways, I think she is extraordinary (I did say we wanted to adopt her and I mean it!) and I would imagine that everyone that comes into contact with her notices it and also, that anyone who bothers to fill out those cards (and the crew tell me that not very many people do! :( ) would mention her.

You left out the activity of sex. Surely that is higher than bribery - unless you consider that the act of receiving sex is a bribe to get something else. LOL!!

DON

DON, aka the sage from the dessert!:D ;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Probably being pushed by the food & bev. mgr. to "increase" revenue.

There are 2 things that cruise staff hate - people who think that they are being cute by giving out $2 bills and those that give out Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. Many merchants in the US will not accept them. What do you think happens when the crew members try to get rid of them in a foreign country?Do you enjoy making life difficult for the hard working cruise staff?

DON

I never thought it was cute to give two dollar bills. I did it for the two following reasons. I once heard they thought two dollar bills were lucky and to reward excellant service after I recieved it. On my last cruise a bartender explained how they really feel about them. They all felt they were lucky to get a two dollar bill instead of a one dollar bill.LOL

They all felt they were lucky to get a two dollar bill instead of a one dollar bill.LOL

Now that makes sense!

But I've had several crew members state that if offered 2 dollars or a 2 dollar bill they would go for the 2 dollar bill in a second as it is "lucky". Never had one turned down...

Thanks for the reminder about the cards.

sorry for being a bit naive . Please can someone explain how this works and where one obtains the attention to detail cards , Never heard of hem before but I have had quite a few staff members whom i would have praised, snd did indeed mention them on the paper and online questionnaires,

sorry for being a bit naive . Please can someone explain how this works and where one obtains the attention to detail cards , Never heard of hem before but I have had quite a few staff members whom i would have praised, snd did indeed mention them on the paper and online questionnaires,

They have in the past been left in the stateroom the 2nd day or so of a sailing. Come to think of it I don't think we received one on our last 2 cruises. You can go to Guest Services and ask for one if you don't receive one in your cabin.

Sometimes you have to ask for them - and they always ask what is wrong when I ask.

Seems very few bother to get them for positive reasons.

On our last Equinox cruise the wonderful HD, Christophe , had revamped the wording on the card. I didn't take a photo and don't remember it exactly but it was composed much better than just "Attention to Detail".

Edited by chamima

They have in the past been left in the stateroom the 2nd day or so of a sailing. Come to think of it I don't think we received one on our last 2 cruises. You can go to Guest Services and ask for one if you don't receive one in your cabin.

Sadly, I think that the ATD cards are something that X is quietly trying to phase out. :( As you pointed out, they used to leave them in your cabin early in the cruise. Also, the daily bulletin usually noted that you could obtain additional cards at the GR desk. We usually pick up a few, as we use them to praise outstanding service -- as well as point out any problems that might not warrant a trip to the GR desk. Over the years, we've found it quite useful to have ATD cards on hand.

But, on our last cruise (Eclipse), we did not have any in our cabin. When DH went to the GR desk, they told him that he had to get them from our cabin steward. The cabin steward could only find two cards to give us. He was finally able to locate more, in a day or two. On the positive side, the GR desk did read them, and was very responsive to the cards that we turned in.

I'm an Aussie, I tip at restaurants, about 10% ,round up taxi fares, never tipped a barman in a pub in my life. I thought the 18% extra on a drink was was a tip?

I pre pay gratuities and do t get a drink package.

:

Agree totally, except when in the USA. In Asia less as Service is usually included or not expected or welcome (in some circumstances)

On my med cruise next month do I need to exchange a stack of one dollar US notes for tips? If we are in Europe should it be one €? :confused:

On our Med Cruise last year - service was included in prices ex UK on drinks and we didn't tip extra and service was great.