Where to stay before heading out on cruise

coffeegirl35

I was wondering if anyone could help me with choosing a hotel to stay at before we board our cruise in November. I like to get into the city the day before a cruise (coming from Canada you can't always rely on the weather) That being said we will be taking our cruise out of Miami - can anyone suggest a nice hotel to stay at. Thanks in advance :)

Also check out the Holiday Inn Port of Miami, we've stayed there before and will again in January. I like the location near the Bayside Marketplace which has lots of restaurants, etc. for an evening stroll the night before boarding the ship. It's an older hotel, but many cruisers stay there and rates are fairly reasonable for Miami.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Depends what time you arrive and how much time you have or things you want to do

When we have all day or a couple of nights we go to south beach as there's lots to do

If we only have an afternoon or evening we stay in downtown. The intercontinental is fabulous but pricey, the holiday inn is good.

Holiday Day Inn at the Port area. If you get the right room, you can see the port/ships. It is close to the Arena, so if anything is good going on the night you are there, it is a short walk away too.

There is a walking park right across the street too.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with choosing a hotel to stay at before we board our cruise in November. I like to get into the city the day before a cruise (coming from Canada you can't always rely on the weather) That being said we will be taking our cruise out of Miami - can anyone suggest a nice hotel to stay at. Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We're sailing out of Miami next year, and I looked for a hotel near some local shopping so I could purchase my wine, water, and other cruise provisions to take on board -- stuff you can't fly with because it needed to go in your checked baggage and weight restrictions.

Take a look at the downtown Hilton or Doubletree. They are both within walking distance of a Publix - a large grocery store. Short taxi ride to the cruise port.

Have a fun cruise.

I'm working on the same decision, also in November. We're only coming from Atlanta, but even in good weather we seem to encounter airplane issues on the way to a cruise. I second the suggestion to read up on the Florida Departures board and your Roll Call board for good info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I hope you have a great time! I know we plan to. 😇

Another vote for Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon. Very clean, decent breakfast. There's a shopping center across the street that has everything you might need; I.e., sunscreen, wine, etc. taxi is $20 to port if you don't want to do the shuttle

Also check out the Holiday Inn Port of Miami, we've stayed there before and will again in January. I like the location near the Bayside Marketplace which has lots of restaurants, etc. for an evening stroll the night before boarding the ship. It's an older hotel, but many cruisers stay there and rates are fairly reasonable for Miami.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We stayed there in December 2012, and I would never stay there again. Not sure what is allowed here, but I did do a review on tripadvisor, which I can repeat here or provide a link, if anyone is interested. The only good thing that I can say about the hotel is that it is well located

Can u post a link ...or hint at what was wrong? It was fine in Nov 2014...pre Reflection cruise,

many positive reviews on Trip Advisor when I scanned thru but I did not go back to 2012.

Edited by hcat

We stayed there in December 2012, and I would never stay there again. Not sure what is allowed here, but I did do a review on tripadvisor, which I can repeat here or provide a link, if anyone is interested. The only good thing that I can say about the hotel is that it is well located

We stayed there May 2014. No issues. They parked the car. Fast check in. Restaurant was clean and food good. Room was good and clean. Only a few blocks from a drug store to pick up last minute things if you fly in or just want/need.

I had no issues in 2014.

Can u post a link ...or hint at what was wrong? It was fine in Nov 2014...pre Reflection cruise,

many positive reviews on Trip Advisor when I scanned thru but I did not go back to 2012.

Hope that this works

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g34438-d80275-r149218917-Holiday_Inn_Port_of_Miami_Downtown-Miami_Florida.html#REVIEWS

And we are not very difficult to please.

Edited by itsjb1

If your flight not booked you can compare flight prices to Fort Lauderdale, and stay there overnight. The following day a taie a shuttle to Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by titanic27

Intercontinental is the UPSCALE Holiday Inn property. Both hotels are in viewing distance of port....and walking distance of Bayside.

It is upscale with a fantastic view of you ship and a very fine restaurant. The suites are beautiful!

thanks for the link

Scary but sounds like a hopefully isolated lapse...hope someone was held accountable by mgmnt

we have been in a tall hotel in DC when the fire alarm sounded twice during the night...small fire in kitchen ...we fortunately had our own travel flashlights for both trips down the stairs...not a pleasant experience...

hope better luck for you at wherever you stay nowadays!

It is upscale with a fantastic view of you ship and a very fine restaurant. The suites are beautiful!

Good suggestion for some,

Probably more than we can afford...and we try to avoid tall tower bldgs...see previous post!

Holiday Inn was pricey enough!

If your flight not booked you can compare flight prices to Fort Lauderdale, and stay there overnight. The following day a taie a shuttle to Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We always fly into Ft Lauderdale.....better flight schedules for us. Plus we like Lauderdale better. We stay at the Hyatt Place on 17th St. Stores and restaurants close by. The trolley stop is also close and you can really to some great restaurants,shops and of course the ocean.