Alaska cruise advice needed !!!

FTPCruiser

I am planning surprise my wife with a 10 day Alaska Cruise with Princess departing from San Francisco during September.

There are 2 options offered and since this will be our first time in Alaska, I have no idea about the difference of each route.

Which one is better?

Inside passage with Tracy Fjord or Inside passage with Glacier Bay ? ....and the reasons please?

Thanks,

I am planning surprise my wife with a 10 day Alaska Cruise with Princess departing from San Francisco during September.

There are 2 options offered and since this will be our first time in Alaska, I have no idea about the difference of each route.

Which one is better?

Inside passage with Tracy Fjord or Inside passage with Glacier Bay ? ....and the reasons please?

Thanks,

No brainer, GLACIER BAY, it is a National Park. While Tracy Fjord and the Glaciers at the end are beautiful they can't compare to the grandeur of Glacier Bay and why that is a National Park ;)

No brainer, GLACIER BAY, it is a National Park. While Tracy Fjord and the Glaciers at the end are beautiful they can't compare to the grandeur of Glacier Bay and why that is a National Park ;)

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean the beauty of the Glacier Bay can be viewed from the boat or do we need to get of the boat and get on a tour?

Edited by FTPCruiser

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean the beauty of the Glacier Bay can be viewed from the boat or do we need to get of the boat and get on a tour?

Both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord are scenic cruising days (you don't get off the ship). You'll basically spend most of the day cruising up Glacier Bay and back while Tracy Arm can be accomplished in 1/2 a day. As Chipmaster asserted, Glacier Bay is considered more spectacular, especially if you think you'll only be going to Alaska once. But Tracy Arm is not to be discounted. And if you're sailing in September, you'll pretty much be able to get to the glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm.

We've done that exact cruise and chose the date that went to Tracy Arm since the we'd cruised Glacier Bay on our prior Alaska cruise.

For a first-time Alaska cruise I would totally opt for Glacier Bay - especially in Sept when you likely won't make it to the end of Tracy Arm to see its glacier. We did get all the way and while different from Glacier Bay and a wow in its own right Glacier Bay is a WOOOOOW.

Plus Glacier Bay is simply spectacular and tends to be a longer duration (Tracy Arm is often a very early half day while Glacier Bay is more of a longer day).

Check the times on the 2 itineraries to compare and see.

I'm sure you can find lots of photos... but here's Marjorie Glacier (the highlight of Glacier Bay) last year from Star Princess.

14245101368_7d4c6f46c3_b.jpg

Star Princess - Alaska - June 2014 540 by Richard, on Flickr

14245163558_a05c6eaac9_b.jpg

Star Princess - Alaska - June 2014 575 by Richard, on Flickr

Edited by RickEk

Definitely Glacier Bay; the glacier viewing is exceptional!

The viewing is exceptional plus the entire trip is narrated by National Park Service Rangers (who embark and disembark via a pilot boat at the mouth of the Bay). When they leave the Princess naturalist takes over the narration duties.

On our last Alaska cruise (on the Coral in 2012) there was also a wonderful seafood buffet (mussels, crab cakes, two types of salmon and the most wonderful halibut I’ve ever tasted) on deck on Glacier Bay Day but I don't know if that is still being done.

Great scenery, wonderful food, and interesting information - what more could one ask for?

Here's a vote for Tracy Arm. We've done GB twice (on northbounds) and TA once (on Seattle RT). Granted, we did the small-boat add-on tour (offered in the Excursions section) which takes up to 150 people on a small boat directly from the ship and heads deeper into TA, allowing much better "connection with nature". This excursion has been the highlight of the four Alaska cruises we've done.

I vote to make Glacier Bay your priority.... but look for an itinery that offers an optional mid-ocean transfer for Tracy Arm to meet Sawyer. You get the best of both worlds.

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=TA1-665

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=100030935

Do register for this excursion early..... it's a guarantee sellout! Some choose to get the Tracy Arm excursions from Juneau.... but you waste several hours as you retrace 50 miles of the cruise ship to Tracy Arm and then another 30 miles to meet Sawyer. You miss out on whale watching and Mendenhall.

9ln2wYbk6xY OMzReVZn__M l40k_wZzVuc -0x8dcnk1TM

Edited by xlxo

We were in Glacier Bay in September, and they had it open to Johns Hopkins glacier (it was amazing, too - the glacier was doing some massive calving, and we caught it all on video).. Usually that part of the bay is closed in the summer for wildlife mating, so that cruise ships and boats don't disturb the habitats, but by September, you may be able to see more of the bay than if you'd gone earlier in the year.

Both are spectacular. We had a great view of Margerie Glacier on our southbound cruise on the Sapphire. It was very active that day. Tracy Arm is more about the journey--sailing through the narrow fjord to get to the glacier. Our ship got much closer the first cruise we took to Alaska than we did the second one. Both times we enjoyed the time we spent sailing into and out of Tracy Arm.

I can't imagine "surprising" my wife with something like this. However, if you want to insure that you have glacier viewing then Glacier Bay is the only way to go. You are guaranteed up close and personal viewing. With Tracy Arm you may or may not get to the glacier.

One thing about glacier viewing anywhere is that by September the top cover of snow is one. Then you will see the crevasses and the blue color much better.

I am wondering how you are going to keep your hands over her eyes till you get to the ship.....?

...if you want to insure that you have glacier viewing then Glacier Bay is the only way to go. You are guaranteed up close and personal viewing. With Tracy Arm you may or may not get to the glacier.

I agree. Do Glacier Bay on your first Alaska cruise; you don't want to be disappointed by the chance of not seeing a glacier. Do Tracy Arm at another time if you decide to go back someday :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

you will be on a ship...not a boat going into Glacier bay

Tracy arm is the poor-mans glacier compared to Glacier Bay NP and Hubbard Glacier and College Fjord Tracy # 4 at best....more like a7 compared to others.

Second Glacier bay is a full day of dozens of tide water glaciers, not one, wild life, geology and lore all presented by onboard NPS naturalists. 6 am to 5 pm

Tracy arm one glacier, small, several hours, no naturalist doesn't rate National park status or any other....nice but.... pales in face of the others offered as a cheaper(for the line alternative less fuel burned.)

Did Glacier Bay on our honeymoon 1977 on Sitmar Fairsea & 25th anniversary 2002 on Ocean Princess. Amazing difference in retreat of the glaciers. Took flyover on a seaplane to Mendenhall glacier the first time. Spectatcular! Will be going to Tracy arm on Golden 8/31.

Either way it will be incredible! Enjoy

I am going to agree with many others. Glacier Bay is the choice if you want to see glaciers. We have only been to the Tracy Arm route and it was magnificent scenery, but, the glacier view was from a ways away. If I had the choice, based on pictures and videos I have seen posted, I would do Glacier Bay. Great cruise surprise for the wife, BTW. :cool: