Is anybody else is tipping extra at the MDR?

During my last 2 cruises I noticed that nobody around my tables gave extra tip to the waiter or his assistants. I always give them extra tip because I believe they really deserve it. I'm not planning on cutting them my extra tip in the future but at some point I was wondering if I am the only one giving extra tip.

If the service is average (back when you handed out tips) we would only give the suggested amount and at times I have felt that was too much.

Since the auto daily gratuity, we have given out WOW envelopes to the wait staff. Even if it isn't much, which we generally over tip,they don't open the envelope in front of you, but you can see their appreciation

Yep, we always give extra to the waiter and assistant waiter. we hand it out in envelopes at the last dinner.

if the head waiter has done anything for us we'll give them a little something extra, too, but more often than not we barely see them - in that case, we won't tip them extra.

we've been lucky and always had good-to-excellent servers on our royal cruises - way better than even on our disney cruises, where service is rumored to be better (our disney servers have been fine, just not great). i'm not sure what we'd do if we had poor servers - i don't think i'd remove the auto-gratuity, but i guess i'd not tip extra in that case. even for an average server i'd probably tip a bit extra, though - they work hard, and a few bucks likely means a lot more to them than it does to me, if i can afford to cruise a couple times a year.

i dont tip extra, coz I work hard to make money to afford a vacation. i work overtime at weekends to pay for me vacation. why would i give away money for nothin ?

some people tip a few dollars to make themselves look good in front of others, and some just want to think they have contributed to world peace by tipping.

i say, tip if you want, but i dont as it is bad, i tell you.

when you tip for nothin it is bad.

i work hard for the vacation of a lifetime. i and me hubby work so so hard. we not going to give it away to look good or feel better, nope to that dudes.

your bud

I haven't cruised RCCL yet (this summer to Alaska), but my rule of thumb on all my past cruises is much like others have said - if the service is extraordinary I will give extra; if it is ordinary or worse the prepaid tips remain as-is (I am very hesitant to totally remove them) with no extra.

My servers and stateroom hosts have all earned extra on Disney Cruise Line. When I was on Holland America last summer...that was the closest I've ever come to having the prepaid grats reduced or removed - just horrid service all around.

I'm excited to see how things are on Royal Caribbean at the end of July! :)

Unless the service is just acceptable, we always give extra at the end. No need to make a show of it, just quietly slip it to the server when saying our goodbyes. BTW, for those who think the HW needs to put on a dog and pony show for them every night in order to earn a tip, just know that if things are running smoothly in the dining room then he or she is performing well.

I work hard for my money too but these people work a lot harder and most deserve more than they get.

During my last 2 cruises I noticed that nobody around my tables gave extra tip to the waiter or his assistants. I always give them extra tip because I believe they really deserve it. I'm not planning on cutting them my extra tip in the future but at some point I was wondering if I am the only one giving extra tip.

No, you certainly aren't the only one. Many people tip extra, and many people don't. It's personal choice. Don't worry about what other people do. Do what's comfortable for YOU!

We always do prepaid grats and only tip extra if we feel the service has been outstanding.

On our recent Splendour cruise the waitress, assistant waiter and our cabin steward all got extra cash on the last night and our waitress got a WOW card from us too.

Julie

That's true...you can have more money ADDED to the tips they charge to your seapass account...don't assume that because YOU didn't see it happen, that it didn't happen!

I think the "suggested" tip amounts are adequate for standard service. If the service seems to be MORE than adequate, we'll tip more. It's not something we plan in advance, since we haven't had ANY service in advance!!

And really...what business is it of yours how anyone other than yourself tips?? I think folks need to stop worrying about how much other's tip, who gets what percentage of the tip, who got more liquor added to their drink, who ordered 3 lobster tails, etc...etc...etc...

That's true...you can have more money ADDED to the tips they charge to your seapass account...don't assume that because YOU didn't see it happen, that it didn't happen!

I think the "suggested" tip amounts are adequate for standard service. If the service seems to be MORE than adequate, we'll tip more. It's not something we plan in advance, since we haven't had ANY service in advance!!

And really...what business is it of yours how anyone other than yourself tips?? I think folks need to stop worrying about how much other's tip, who gets what percentage of the tip, who got more liquor added to their drink, who ordered 3 lobster tails, etc...etc...etc...

OMG, I completely agree with you. It must be a really cold day in.... the Caribbean today.

I don't disagree with giving extra tips to the MDR staff. However, the only person that we normally give extra tips to is the room steward....and we keep our room extremely clean and organized so there job is fairly simple. However, I always feel like we get to know them the best so we give them more.

I'm usually not watching the tables around me closely enough to know if they've tipped the servers or not. And if I feel led to tip extra myself, I generally do so discretely. It's not meant to be a show for those at neighboring tables. :cool:

I ALWAYS bring Thank you cards or holiday cards if it's around Halloween, Christmas etc when we cruise. When dining if we feel that Waiter, Assistant Waiter or even the Head Waiter went above & beyond they get a hand written note telling them how they made our vacation that much more special along with an additional sum of money. Same goes for the room steward or anyone else on the ship. Have we came back with all the cards we brought, yes but the majority of the time someone on the ship gets a card along with the reason we felt that they were special enough to get the additional cash. :)

Unfortunately prepaid tips has taken away the personal feel to telling someone how much they are appreciated. :(

BonVoyage

Dawna

we do MTD and as such, prepay. the last three times we felt no additional was warranted at all. they were fine, polite, remembered that he likes his iced tea unsweet and I like lots of bread. but they were not very personable, and quite frankly a few times we waited too long between courses.( and we don't even order every course)

my extra tipping money went to the bartender in the Concierge Lounge who spoiled us rotten.

No, you certainly aren't the only one. Many people tip extra, and many people don't. It's personal choice. Don't worry about what other people do. Do what's comfortable for YOU!

Absolutely. Do what makes your comfortable. Who cares what everyone else does.

I usually tip extra since I am gluten free and have to have special attention from the wait staff. On the Jewell last week, I sat with my diabetic friends and boy oh boy did we give them a run.....The wait staff worked very hard to accommodate us at breakfast, lunch and dinner. They deserved every bit they got between the three of us. Kudo's to the Jewel of the Seas wait staff.

I'm usually not watching the tables around me closely enough to know if they've tipped the servers or not. And if I feel led to tip extra myself, I generally do so discretely. It's not meant to be a show for those at neighboring tables. :cool:

I would certainly agree with the above.

Our Serenade repositioning cruise last month was 13 nights. We dined in specialty restaurants on three nights and left a tip in the plastic holder with our receipt for the drinks as a thank you for the fine service.

We had the same waiter and assistant waiter for ten nights for MTD. Although we had prepaid gratuities, we thanked them on the last night very quietly with an envelope because they were indeed outstanding. We even filled out a WOW card for our waiter due to the patience that he displayed with someone at another table who made a big fuss each night because the crème brulee was not prepared to his liking.