Carnival Corp to build world's most crowded cruise ships

SantaFeFan

According to a news article posted by Cruise Critic http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6408 Carnival Corp will be building the most crowded cruise ships in the world. At 180,000 gross tonnes, they will be not much bigger than RCI's Anthem of the Seas (168,666) and NCL's upcoming Norwegian Escape (164,600), but they will hold 33% more passengers. In fact, they will hold 10% more passengers than the much larger Oasis of the Seas and her sisters (225,282). In Passenger to Space Ration (PSR) terms, an industry standard measurement to determine how crowded a ship will appear to be, the ratio is 27.7. That is extremely low compared to what the rest of the cruise industry strives for, which is typically around the mid 30s. Carnival Corp. President and CEO Arnold Donald said in an interview: "While it's a lot of people, it won't feel congested". That is quite the claim!

Would you consider cruising on such a crowded ship?

Edited by SantaFeFan

There is a very active thread in the Princess forum....I think the for and con posts are about equal. While I likely won't cruise on a ship the size of these new builds I am quite prepared to admit that I am not the future of cruising. There is a suugestion at least one of these new builds will end up permanently in Asia where the market has hardly been touched.

I continue to worry how they will handle a catastrophic event should there be the need to get passengers off the ship quickly.

Keith

The captain will direct the evacuation from his lifeboat.

... consider cruising on such a crowded ship?

Never ever. My imagination would keep populating the public areas with very well-dressed sardines. Not that I dislike sardines; but I'm uncomfortable drinking with them, and engaging in conversation about family and places visited.

Just because they build it doesn't mean that I have to sail on it. Besides, if Carnival keeps cutting back we will be changing lines anyway.

Most will not be sailing under the Carnival brand, but other brands that fall under Carnival Corporation.

I love the smaller ships and will not consider any mega sized ship. These seem nothing more than floating amusement parks - so not my idea of a cruise. I love the smaller size of Celebrity's M class and even their larger S class ships. That is big enough for me.

I loved the Allure of the Seas and never felt crowded at all, but why go on a smaller ship that holds more people? Just go for the Oasis/Allure/Harmony. Royal Caribbean knows how to get these ships right.

The reason to go on a smaller ship carrying more people would be to enjoy the lower fares a more crowded experience would permit the cruise lines to charge.

As long as the market permits the lines to offer less and less in exchange for low fares, the lines will continue to offer ever less.

Just because they build it doesn't mean that I have to sail on it. Besides, if Carnival keeps cutting back we will be changing lines anyway.

Good luck with that......there are complaints on any number of the lines about cut backs. People are going to be like "ships passing in the night" going from one line to another.:D

My problem with a mega ship (Independence OTS) is that the ship was built with the Caribbean in mind, so relies on spacing passengers out on the decks....and then they based her in the UK all year round...Our only cruise on her was one spring, to Norway, which again isn't known for the heat... most passengers were inside the ship, mainly in a cramped mall area, whilst the outer decks with massive sea screen were empty for much of the time..

Carnival had one clever idea with P&O, which was to build one of its Grand Class ships with a large indoor pool, with dining areas around, as most smaller P&O ships have. It's very popular. :cool:

Their next two new builds for the P&O line have reverted to sea screens and Caribbean type outdoor pools....I have had the coldest and most cramped cruises on one of those and the Indy OTS, and question the thinking behind their positioning.

Good luck with that......there are complaints on any number of the lines about cut backs.

Got to agree. Been on 4 lines and, to tell the truth, have enjoyed all of them, even with the cut backs.:D:D

Edited by clackey

Got to agree. Been on 4 lines and, to tell the truth, have enjoyed all of them, even with the cut backs.:D:D

Same here. Another thought, if it's a line one doesn't usually sail,cut backs are probably only noticeable to the regulars.:D