Inside Cabins....Am I Going to Regret This Decision???

We are looking at booking Oasis this summer and there are limited options available for a family of 4 since we are so late in the game.

I refuse to pay over $7000 for our normal ocean view balcony so began to look at other options. The most cost effective choice being 2 connecting inside cabins, and then the next being 2 connecting OV cabins but they are on deck 3 (waaayyy at the bottom).

I have only sailed on an inside once in my life and that was as a young teen. Will I regret booking inside cabins if we are used to being in balconies? While we don't spend a huge amount of time in our room...I'm worried about waking up to complete darkness and not being able to swing open the drapes and see the beautiful ocean or ports as we come in.

Would love to hear some opinions...especially from those that have gone with an inside that are accustomed to balconies.

I HATE having to use lights in the daytime....hate it! I think $7000 is a ridiculous price, too! Aren't there any other ships with better priced balconies? That's what I'd be looking for! Or, even, 1 balcony with a inside cabin for the kids! (Some ships, Voyage and Freedom class) have balconies that connect to an inside cabin...great for families with smaller kids that need to be in a connecting cabin.

When you stay in a hotel, how often do you look out the window? The suites on Oasis class are crazy expensive (at least they are on our Allure cruise). We are a family of 4 and booked a promenade room. We'll have a window, but it's not to the outside world. Do we care? No. As in my question, when staying in a hotel, we keep the blinds closed all the time anyways for privacy. And we only plan on using our stateroom for sleeping, changing and showering. Otherwise, we can go elsewhere on the ship. I know some love the oceanview or balcony staterooms, but for us, we'd rather spend the money elsewhere. You statied that you'll have 2 connecting rooms so you'll have the space. I think only can respond to your question though as it's how you feel.

We are looking at booking Oasis this summer and there are limited options available for a family of 4 since we are so late in the game.

I refuse to pay over $7000 for our normal ocean view balcony so began to look at other options. The most cost effective choice being 2 connecting inside cabins, and then the next being 2 connecting OV cabins but they are on deck 3 (waaayyy at the bottom).

I have only sailed on an inside once in my life and that was as a young teen. Will I regret booking inside cabins if we are used to being in balconies? While we don't spend a huge amount of time in our room...I'm worried about waking up to complete darkness and not being able to swing open the drapes and see the beautiful ocean or ports as we come in.

Would love to hear some opinions...especially from those that have gone with an inside that are accustomed to balconies.

IMO, you will only regret it if you let yourself. Once the decision if finalized and then do what I do, make every effort to enjoy the cruise however you set it up.

FYI, I've only done 1 cruise on an inside, and I usually only travel with my wife, or occasionally another couple.

Sounds as if you enjoy a balcony so you will have to decide if you can do without it. For me I would never book an inside room. I am claustrophobic and have to be able to see outside anytime I want without having to get dressed to go up on deck and out in public. Some of my most favorite times are having that first cup of coffee out on my balcony. Sometimes during the day I enjoy getting out of the crowds on deck and enjoy quiet time on the balcony. But everyone is different so you have to decide what is best for you.

And by the way when I stay in a hotel I am constantly looking out of the window!

I would rather book a older RCCL ship that will give you a balcony or mini-suite for what you would pay for a inside room, I think if you never took a cruise before inside is fine, but if you are used to balcony I would not want to go back to a inside

I wouldn't pay $7K for a balcony either! But I couldn't do an inside, especially not after being used to the balcony.

I'd take the deck 3 oceanviews instead. At least you get a little light, a little sense of the weather- and being on a low deck means you're closer to the water!

In 13 cruises we have only been in a balcony cabin 1 time and that was only because it cost an additional $18. Now it was ok but not worth paying very much more for it! We used it very little! I also kind of missed the darkness of the inside cabins for sleeping.

I'd much rather save the money and go on another cruise!!

We have booked an Ov on deck 3 several times and loved it. They are midships so very little movement and low down. It's great to see the sea outside the window and its a great compromise on a balcony. I would much prefer an OV,on deck 3 to an inside as we have found it incredibly difficult to wake up in pitch darkness. Love seeing the sun and the sea when I wake in the morning.

Good luck with whatever you decide but please don't dismiss deck 3. It's very central, one deck down to get off, and very quiet.

Leave you TV on the web cam channel all night and the room will lighten up as the sun rises.

We always have a balcony but once we decided to try a promenade just because I wanted to see what it was like. While it was small, it was fun, but we did miss the balcony. It's been balcony ever since and unfortunately I got the "suite" bug. :eek:

We booked an inside cabin last year on the Freedom for New Year's Eve. We have taken many cruises almost all of them in balconies with a few suites and ocean views sprinkled in. The decision was the inside cabin or no New Year's cruise at all. ( we had taken two previous NYE cruises and wanted to sail a third time )

Honestly, the inside was fine. Of course we prefer oceanview, balcony, or suite but we had no issues with the interior cabin. We did not regret it for one minute .

Enjoy.

M

Everyone is different on what's important as far as a cabin. If it meant that I could not cruise unless I did ocean view I would do that. I would not be able to do inside. Sleeping was great but it was horrible for everything else: no daylight, one person in bathroom - others sitting in small fair/love seat- no daylight. That is my preference.

Just our opinion, but we'd cruise any other cruise line in a balcony before cruising on any cruise line in an inside cabin!:)

We have never done a true inside. We did try a promenade on XoS and loved it. We're booked for large inside virtual balcony on Anthem just to see what that's all about. I don't think I would like not being able to see something but then again, you could argue that the virtual balcony is like turning on a tv for a porthole. Eh.

Thanks for everyone's feedback and insights. My kids are 8 and 10 so I know they would be perfectly fine in an inside and I think I would be too. My DH on the other hand is a bit more picky and if he's miserable, we're all miserable;-)!

I have been looking at other ships...specifically Adventure out of San Juan because it has a great S. Caribbean itinerary. Unfortunately, they have even less available and the flights to get there from CA is quite a bit more. I've also looked at NCL Getaway but not sure if we want to go that route either.

We love Oasis/Allure so we will have to weigh everything out and figure out what is most important to us.

Cheers!

I prefer any room that has a bed on a ship.

I like your attitude!!

Ok, I came up with another option. I found 2 Boardwalk balconies that aren't connecting but they are next to each other. Can someone remind me if the balcony dividers open up?

I've never had a Boardwalk before and I know they wouldn't be the most private but it has daylight.

We sailed on the Allure with friends that were in the cabin next door, and we opened the balcony between us.

But, before you make your decision, I read on the Celebrity boards earlier a discussion comparing the NCL Getaway to an X ship. Almost everyone had wonderful things to say about the NCL ship from the food to the entertainment. You might want to check out their prices. There are so many options today and I wouldn't want to pay $7000 either.

I prefer any room that has a bed on a ship.

I like your attitude!!

I found a couple more options that might work...

There are Boardwalk or Central Park Balcony cabins that are side by side, but not connecting. Can someone remind me if the balcony dividers can be opened up?

Another route would be to do 2 side by side cabins with an OV or CP view that are not connecting. Since my kids are relatively young, that would mean my DH and I would have to sleep with them in the same room. A little bit out of the ordinar but it could work. Has anyone done that?