Comfortable but CUTE shoes - input needed

Going on a Western Mediterranean cruise next month and expecting to do a lot of walking while in ports. A couple of the stops will include visiting cathedrals so my knees must be covered, meaning long pants or skirts. I'm having trouble figuring out what kind of shoes to wear that will be comfortable for lots of walking yet still be cute with a long skirt. I typically wear flip flops during the summer months but I know they are not practical and pretty frowned upon in Europe (plus they can be annoying to everyone with the flip flop flip flop!).

So, looking to those that have experience - do you have any suggestions for certain shoes that meet both the comfy and cute criteria? If it helps, I am a very active 40 year old so I don't want grandma looking shoes. ;) I appreciate your input!

I have found sandals that are adjustable on the toes, instep and heel to be most comfortable. I have 2 pairs of Clark sandals, and some Soft Spots and Aersoles. I have a fairly wide foot and the soft sole makes them great for longer periods of walking. The adjustable straps help when your feet swell.

I purchase all of my shoes on-line because most stores don't have what I need.

I have bought from Shoe Buy and Zappos. Both have good return policies and shipping.

Good luck in your search for comfy shoes. It can be daunting.

I bought a cute pair of Ecco's at The Walking Company. Also a pair of Merrell's purchased somewhere. Only wear these for travel so they don't wear out. Neither are 'mountain troll shoes'.

Whatever you get wear them for a bit but still bring moleskin or similar. After a month the Merrell's developed a hot spot. Think it was a grain of sand.

One complaint I had when purchasing shoes was only trying them out on carpeting. Felt every Roman cobblestone in my Aerosoles and Clarks. The shoes I've purchased at REI I've used their 'shoe mountain' to test things out.

Edited by SadieN

At our mall we have a Clark's store and their shoes are very comfortable and offer a variety of styles. Some are very chic and would go perfect with a skirt or dress along with shorts or pants of any length. I'm planning on getting a pair soon. If you don't have a Clark's store near you...go online and check out the variety of styles.

Also, look at the Jambu collection. Lots of cute flats that have good soles to them. I have a few pair that I choose one of them to go with me on all my vacations. I choose to use closed toe shoes and sandals - I hate when stuff gets in there, plus the toes tend to get filthy dirty after a day wandering around ruins!

Also, look at the Jambu collection. Lots of cute flats that have good soles to them. I have a few pair that I choose one of them to go with me on all my vacations. I choose to use closed toe shoes and sandals - I hate when stuff gets in there, plus the toes tend to get filthy dirty after a day wandering around ruins!

Slider Girl,

You're so right! I hate when small, loose stones or sand/dirt gets into my shoes...especially if it happens at the beginning of the day. Unless I'm at the beach...then I don't mind the sand so much!

Hi:).....below the knees does not have to mean long pants. I wore

capri's/crop pants on my cruise to the Med back in May 2012. My shoes

were plain black walking shoes with socks. Everyone is different...some

gals can wear sandals/flip flops and are comfy. My shoes were the best

thing for me. I would not say they are cute so they may not be your

style but they saved my feet:)

I was trying to post a photo for you (didn't work).....but I will say if you want to click

on my signature you will find lots of photos.....click on "EQUINOX to the MED"

and you will see what I wore during the day.

Edited by Lois R

Walking around Malaga and Barcelona in late April/early May...there were a LOT of sneakers. As in, not made for the gym, super cute and fun sneakers.

Lots of Chuck and Superga. And contrary to what you might read...many in fun colors but also many in white.

Several in patterns by makers like Desigual. Metallic sneakers and also metallic oxfords.

And yes. EVEN with skirts and dresses.

Wear no show socks.

Edited to add...would highly recommend a decent cushion in your shoes. The surfaces to walk on in Malaga and Barcelona were very hard. Stone streets and cobble streets. Much harder than your normal concrete. I wore a pair of sandals to dinner only...sandals that are normally very comfortable for me...but they were very uncomfortable on those hard streets/sidewalks.

Edited by Anita Latte

I love Bernie Mev shoes.

They are so comfortable, with memory foam insoles and soft stretch uppers.

I wore them with barefeet from the start and didn't get one blister, which is saying a lot when you walk around a whole day.

Lots of styles to choose from, check them out!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/bernie-mev

I have seen Bernie's shoes all over......it looks like they are their

version of Skecher's.

I have seen Bernie's shoes all over......it looks like they are their

version of Skecher's.

I think its the other way around - Sketchers seems to always latch on to another company's idea (re Bobs vs Toms)…

Anita - I can only imagine the Desigual designs on the sneaks!!!

I think its the other way around - Sketchers seems to always latch on to another company's idea (re Bobs vs Toms)…

Anita - I can only imagine the Desigual designs on the sneaks!!!

Steven by Steve Madden has jumped on that woven design for shoes too. He has a "yoga wedge" and a flat. Sold at Dillards and both on sale right now.

I could resist the Desigual! I got a pair called "Lola"...super cute blues and greens and light grayish white. LOVE them!

I have bad feet, and recently bought these sandals from Vionic. I plan to wear these as my main walking shoes on our Med cruise later this month. The "flip flop" style is fine for me (I know it's not for everyone), and they have great cushioning and arch support which is key for me, but they meet the "cute factor" for me and will go with all my mix and match neutrals. Vionic has other styles and colors, including some with ankle strap so not "flip floppy."

http://www.vionicshoes.com/karina-toe-post-sandal.html

What do you wear for your daily walking? I'm sure you spend lots of time on your feet...malls, grocery shopping, etc....

You don't need "special" shoes...just wear anything comfortable!

I disagree.

Most of us are not at home walking on the typical cobblestones/rounded pavers that you will find in many historic areas of the Mediterranean. They are HARD on the feet and you need shoes that have both cushioning but also some rigidity to the sole to keep your foot from "bending" around the cobbles and getting bruised.

And in fact, many of us do not walk and stand for hours at a time at home either. A couple-hour jaunt to the mall is nothing like a full day tour to Rome!

Typical street "stones" in historic Rome: http://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/999563/130665851/stock-photo-many-streets-in-rome-italy-are-paved-with-cobblestones-130665851.jpg

Typical street in Lisbon:

https://sidewalkcity.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/cimg0271.jpg

and so on...

I second the Vionic by Orthaheel shoes too. These are great. I have flip flops and sneakers. Wonderful for my problem feet.

Margee

Vionics don't work for me. I bought a pair of the flip flops based on all the positive comments, but I find the exaggerated arch to be very uncomfortable for me. This is to underline that there are many types of feet out there and what works for one person (or many people) may not work for you...

Whatever type of shoes one is considering for an intensive trip (especially in summer), it's very important to not just try them on but to wear them for several hours while you're on your feet walking and standing.

I disagree.

Most of us are not at home walking on the typical cobblestones/rounded pavers that you will find in many historic areas of the Mediterranean. They are HARD on the feet and you need shoes that have both cushioning but also some rigidity to the sole to keep your foot from "bending" around the cobbles and getting bruised.

And in fact, many of us do not walk and stand for hours at a time at home either. A couple-hour jaunt to the mall is nothing like a full day tour to Rome!

Typical street "stones" in historic Rome: http://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/999563/130665851/stock-photo-many-streets-in-rome-italy-are-paved-with-cobblestones-130665851.jpg

Typical street in Lisbon:

https://sidewalkcity.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/cimg0271.jpg

and so on...

I so agree with your post.....wear what you normally wear?:eek::rolleyes:

That is so wrong......I wear sandals alot living in Florida......when

I went to the Med I learned the hard way.....they didn't work for me.

Thankfully I had my "Grasshoppers" (walking shoes).......so many of

certainly do need "special shoes".

Steven by Steve Madden has jumped on that woven design for shoes too. He has a "yoga wedge" and a flat. Sold at Dillards and both on sale right now.

I could resist the Desigual! I got a pair called "Lola"...super cute blues and greens and light grayish white. LOVE them!

Just looked up the Lola online - a great shoe!!!

What I did for my trip this past Spring to Italy: I found a pair of Sperry Topsiders that I loved. Salmon color, washed canvas. AND, they had removable insoles!! So, I popped those out and put in my own. Wore those shoes everyday out and about for hours at a time.

I DO stand on my feet and pace around the Front Desk of my hotel everyday. I (unlike the young kids I work with, who wear cheap flats or high heels) wear a pair of Dansko Pro XL shoes (one pair in Whiskey and one pair in black, depending on what I am wearing). The large lobby is all rock tiles (rough-hewn with the occasional trilobite), no carpet. I totally understand the need for good shoes with good support. That is why I will willingly pony up extra $$ to get a shoe that looks good AND gives me the support I need (or lets me put in my own insole).

Edited by slidergirl

And our shoe needs change over time too. When I was living in and exploring Europe at 20, Birkenstock and Doc Martens were great. Now, cough cough cough years later, I need a little more support - I still wear birks and the original doc Martens but not on cobblestones for 10 miles of touring a day.

I have a pair of lace up dansko sandals with a very thick sole I love for summer travel - adjustable, supportive, work with my feet. Am currently looking to replace my old privo laceups that have traveled with me for years but haven't found anything I love yet. We do lots of cold weather trips, so I have great goretex walking shoes and some great boots for those trips.

This is to underline that there are many types of feet out there and what works for one person (or many people) may not work for you...

Whatever type of shoes one is considering for an intensive trip (especially in summer), it's very important to not just try them on but to wear them for several hours while you're on your feet walking and standing.

Very true. I tried on numerous brands and styles, trying to find a cute sandal with really good arch support. Some I tried on simply didn't fit my foot...either they fit at the toe but my heel hung off, but a bigger size left too much shoe in front on my toe. Some I tried did not have the arch in the right spot for my foot. Some had arch but not enough cushioning. And so forth. I've been wearing them for a month and they have been great, so I'm confident in taking them as my main walking shoes for our Med cruise.

I'm lucky in that there are several stores near me that carry a good selection of Vionic, Merrell and other similar brands that are designed to be good for your feet.