Length of cruise

CruznMooses

Ok I have a question for everyone. If you had no work or other scheduling problems. What length of cruise would you prefer to take? My DW and I are scheduled for 7 day in October but it was definitely my second choice, I really wanted to take a 10 day but you know how work can be sometimes.... my preference is either a 10 or 15 day...

In the perfect world if you are working but can swing it a 12 day cruise is great. We used to take 7 day cruises and by the time I would unwind (day four) it was almost time to think of packing. On our first 12 day cruise I remember around day four thinking isn't it nice there are still 10 more days.

But if that is not possible you can/will still have a great time on a seven day cruise.

Keith

When my wife and I were still working a seven day cruise was our norm. After retirement, we found the longest we could find and afford and do that with the norm being month long cruises. The longest was two months and a half.

I agree with a minimum of 7 days for a beginner. Now I find that on 7-day cruises I've just learned where everything is on the ship then it's time to start packing again. :( I generally go for 10 day cruises now, and my longest was 15 days through the Panama Canal.

Now that DH and I are retired time isn't a problem - it's that darn money issue. :)

So we're working on our bucket list and since the cruises are longer we can't go as often. Our last cruise was the British Isles for a total of 28 days with a couple of days before in London and after in New York. Our upcoming one in Sept/Oct of next year is a b2b for 30 days with a couple of days before in Athens.

If we had the money I would love to do one of the around the world cruises.

Ok I have a question for everyone. If you had no work or other scheduling problems. What length of cruise would you prefer to take? My DW and I are scheduled for 7 day in October but it was definitely my second choice, I really wanted to take a 10 day but you know how work can be sometimes.... my preference is either a 10 or 15 day...

We always have connecting flights to any port so flying is a hassle. Therefore we won't take cruises of less than 14 days. We prefer longer b2b cruises of at least 21 days. Our next scheduled cruise is 23 days. We have taken cruises of 28 days and even 33 days.

Our ideal length is anything in double digits. We work in education so get lots of holiday time. We pay more but we do spend 2 plus weeks on the cruise and stays.

I think recommending 7 days or less for a first cruise isn't needed...you would not say that for a normal inclusive holiday. With rough seas and hurricanes still quite rare a first timer going on a 10+ day cruise is fine.

The most important thing for any first time cruiser is to choose the right line and the right cabin...get that wrong and you are going to be put off for life.

My first cruise was 12 days, I didn't want to get off!

Like so many others, I started with 7-day cruises, and gradually went longer and longer. Even while I was still working I was taking cruises in the 30-35 day range.

Now that I'm retired I still prefer cruises of at least 20 days, and as many as 39. I just go more often, and don't have to get approval first. ;)

I go for a month plus. The only down side is when doing a cruise that is multiple segments or B2B you can get repeated ports, meals and entertainment. We never get bored.

It all depends on what you like to do and what your purpose is for getting away.

I remember a few years ago taking a hotel shuttle to the Ft. Lauderdale port. One passengers said he was going on a RCI 7 days cruise and asked another van passenger what ship they were getting on to which the reply was 10 days on Holland America. The first person said he could not imagine going on a cruise that long. I just grinned as we were about to do 42 days.

Our first cruise was 7 days and our second was 30 days. I prefer taking cruises longer than 7 days. Hiltner is right, it is a different crowd. I have yet to discover how long is too long...45 days is the longest cruise so far.

The shortest cruise we will take is 14 days.

It is a hassle getting to and from the ports.

We have to drive to the airport and a spend a night there for an early the next morning. Since we have no direct flights, we always go to the embarkation port 2 or 3 days early. Then at the end of the cruise we have to stay overnight in the disembarkation port before flying home. And then staying at an airport hotel before driving home the next day.

Certainly at least 14 days to make it worthwhile, though shorter is OK from my local port, under 10 miles away.

I find a month about as long as I can hack for a cruise or any other vacation, more than that is worth splitting into two or more vacations - missing home & friends, too many places & sights & experiences to digest & savour in one hit, too cramped in a budget cabin, too much risk of the cruise being fouled-up by mechanical problems or foreshortened by a need to return home due to some family or domestic problem, complications with empty-home insurance.

But as replies have demonstrated it's all a matter of personal preferences. ;)

JB :)

7-8 is perfect..10 days is a tad too long..IMO..I get tired of the food...and of the available activities/pasttimes.

I might do a longer cruise if entertainment and food varied, but not B2B, I find I get very tired of the food selections, especially breakfast and lunch. I also need some sea days...but not too many.

Our ideal length is anything in double digits. We work in education so get lots of holiday time. We pay more but we do spend 2 plus weeks on the cruise and stays.

I think recommending 7 days or less for a first cruise isn't needed...you would not say that for a normal inclusive holiday. With rough seas and hurricanes still quite rare a first timer going on a 10+ day cruise is fine.

The most important thing for any first time cruiser is to choose the right line and the right cabin...get that wrong and you are going to be put off for life.

My first cruise was 12 days, I didn't want to get off!

Great advice!

We've only been on 2 day and 7 day cruises so far. In October we will be going on a 12 nighter. I won't know for sure until then but I suspect the longer the better!! I am so jealous of those taking cruises a month or longer. [emoji4]

The longer, the better!

At this point in life - as a working stiff- I enjoy cruises in the 10 to 15 day range. Would love to do a back to back 10 & 11 day cruise for a total of three weeks.

I find 7 days too short.

I'm already planning my post-retirement world cruise of 120 days, only 23 years to go. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk