How long until I’m on Interstate 95?

FLchick3

Hi Everyone,

I live in Jacksonville, FL. I have never sailed out of Miami. I am considering two parking options. One is parking at the port and the other is parking at a hotel in the Doral area. Can someone please give me an idea of what time I can expect to be on the road (95) in each scenario? I’ve never paid much attention to debarking times/procedures as I’ve always sailed from a port much closer to home.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Skrufy,

I’m trying to figure out – once I leave the ship, what time I will arrive home using either option.

With the port I know I should be “on the road” quickly.

With the hotel I don’t know how long it will take to grab a cab, check in at the hotel (if I have to?) and be on the road from there?

I also am trying to remember what time debarking starts for those that leave their luggage outside the night before…..and how long it takes collect the luggage.

Bottom line: I’m trying to figure out what time I will arrive home in Jacksonville using either option.

Thank you!

An ETA for your home arrival will at best be very, very broad.

Firstly there are the totally unknown factors of what time you will disembark the ship and how long it takes to find your luggage and then clear customs.

Next is how are you getting back to the Doral hotel? Taxi will be 20-25 minutes, though you should add a substantial cushion to that time if it is a weekday. If the hotel will shuttle you there's the unknown wait time for the shuttle to find you at the port.

Getting to I-95 from Doral involves either the Airport Expressway (SR 112 East) or the Palmetto Expressway (826 North). There's another 20 minutes or so before heading north from the Golden Glades interchange. From there it is five and a half to six hours to Jacksonville depending on number of fuel/rest breaks.

FYI: you can save nearly a half hour driving time by taking the Turnpike to Fort Pierce and moving over to I-95 North there. If your Doral hotel is west of roughly NW 82 Ave it may be easier to get straight on the Turnpike Extension from there. (You will need a Sunpass if you don't already have one).

ETA: OK I see from reading your earlier response more closely that you have an adequate plan. You should ask on your cruise line's board what is a fair time to assume that passengers in the first disembark group after self-assist should expect to be on the road (mentioning what ship you are on and the date will help with answers here as well)

Edited by fishywood

If you park at the port, once in your vechile you will be on 95 in about 10 minutes and on your way home. If you choose Doral its about a 30 minute drive out and about 20 minutes back to 95. Your ship will probebly be in before 8 am, but dont plan on getting off until 8am. Unless you self assist you will be allowed to leave the ship when they call your number.Once your number is called you can go directly to the luggage claim, through customs, and grab your ride. There will be plenty of cabs.

The variables are. The time customs clears the ship, what debarkation number you have, and traffic heading to Doral and back. If all goes normal you should be off the ship around 9ish. I would guess that you will be back in the Jacksonville area by around 5pm. Hope I was some help. Have a great cruise.

One more thing, if you take the turnpike, remember to switch to 95 at Ft. Pierce or you will end up in Central Fl.

Hello Everyone,

Your answers are very helpful.

I did not know that it would take me another 20 minutes or so from the hotel in Doral to I-95.

It sounds like my best options for a speedy return home are 1) the port 2) an inexpensive (under $160) sleep/park/cruise hotel near the port.

Since an inexpensive sleep/park/cruise hotel near the port hotel probably does not exist…..right now it sounds like the port parking is the best option.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

FWIW, we're driving from Ponte Vedra Beach to Fort Lauderdale next spring for a Saturday Oasis sailing. We'll be leaving Friday night and driving to Cocoa Beach, got a great Hotwire deal on an overnight hotel there, and we'll get back on the road around 8ish to finish the drive. We'll park offsite near the port and then drive the whole way home when we're done. I'm guessing we'll be home around 3.

The drive down was what I didn't want to do all in one shot-leaving here at 5 or 6 AM would leave us exhausted on our first night onboard. Coming home doesn't bother me as much. Home won't leave without us if we're late, and I don't care about falling into bed at 9 here. :)

Hi Kate,

It turns out I have to work the day after I get off the ship…..so now all the focus is on the drive home rather than the drive there! : )

Would you mind sharing the name of the hotel in Cocoa Beach? I’m currently looking at hotels in Port Saint Lucie and Fort Pierce, but I’m open to any good information!

Hi Kate,

It turns out I have to work the day after I get off the ship…..so now all the focus is on the drive home rather than the drive there! : )

Would you mind sharing the name of the hotel in Cocoa Beach? I’m currently looking at hotels in Port Saint Lucie and Fort Pierce, but I’m open to any good information!

My 2 cents - Cocoa Bch is still over 3 hours to the port, and hotels there are affected by the Port Canaveral cruise passengers.

If it were me, I would stick to your original plan - There are lots of motels at the Ft Pierce exit, most are truck stop types (which it is, a truck stop exit).

PSL has a few newer, nicer hotels to choose from. Brands escape me right now, but I am sure TripAdvisor can help. From PSL, an easy, 1.5 hr drive..

FWIW, we're driving from Ponte Vedra Beach to Fort Lauderdale next spring for a Saturday Oasis sailing. We'll be leaving Friday night and driving to Cocoa Beach, got a great Hotwire deal on an overnight hotel there, and we'll get back on the road around 8ish to finish the drive. We'll park offsite near the port and then drive the whole way home when we're done. I'm guessing we'll be home around 3.

The drive down was what I didn't want to do all in one shot-leaving here at 5 or 6 AM would leave us exhausted on our first night onboard. Coming home doesn't bother me as much. Home won't leave without us if we're late, and I don't care about falling into bed at 9 here. :)

This is very useful info for me as we will be living in Ponte Vedra (Nocatee) for the cruise next spring on Celebrity. My plan was to drive to Fort Lauderdale the day before, spend the night at the Hyatt Place and park at the off site parking area for 10 days. Would you recommend staying further out and completing the drive the next morning? I always worry about something tying up traffic and not getting to the ship on time.

Thanks. Any driving advice or timing info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, PSL it is, thank you! I didn’t know if that would be different than FP. :)

Straughn – I live across the street from Nocatee! I plan to get a hotel 2 hours max from the port. So I’ll drive 4 hours one day and 2 hours the next day. For me, I’m leaning towards doing that instead of driving 5/6 hours in one day to the ship……yup, just in case I hit traffic!

Straughn – I live across the street from Nocatee! I plan to get a hotel 2 hours max from the port. So I’ll drive 4 hours one day and 2 hours the next day. For me, I’m leaning towards doing that instead of driving 5/6 hours in one day to the ship……yup, just in case I hit traffic!

Are you cruising solo? I am for my cruise next March and don't mind the drive. However, depending on where you park, I have read advice that said not to arrive for parking before 10:30 so the departing cars have cleared out of the lot/garage.

So driving 60-90 minutes is a way to kill some time.

Just beginning to learn my way around Ponte Vedra/Nocatee. Fortunately, my agent is excellent and I am slowly learning. We anticipate moving down by the end of December.

Yes, this will be my first solo cruise! That is good advice about not arriving before 10:30am, thank you! I’ll be parking at the port this time. Next time I’ll try the only off-site parking I’ve seen recommended for Miami. Apparently Miami is a tough town to park in LOL! Nocatee and Jacksonville is a great, great area. I love it here!

I live near the Town Center and used to drive down but as I have

gotten older, I usually fly now.......just easier and quicker. FYI,

American flies from Jax to Miami and it is just about a 1 hour 15 minute

flight.....just a suggestion...

Oh, I always sail solo:)

Yes, this will be my first solo cruise! That is good advice about not arriving before 10:30am, thank you! I’ll be parking at the port this time. Next time I’ll try the only off-site parking I’ve seen recommended for Miami. Apparently Miami is a tough town to park in LOL! Nocatee and Jacksonville is a great, great area. I love it here!

I live near the Town Center and used to drive down but as I have

gotten older, I usually fly now.......just easier and quicker. FYI,

American flies from Jax to Miami and it is just about a 1 hour 15 minute

flight.....just a suggestion...

Oh, I always sail solo:)

Nice to know there are people I can PM for info on the Ponte Vedra/Nocatee/Jacksonville area when I need it.

Lois, We stayed near St. John's Town Center on our first reconnaissance mission to the area. Spent some time at the Center and really liked it- lots of really nice restaurants. And to have a Total Wine so close will be great.

I am looking forward to driving so that I won't have to deal with airport security or worry that my bag may be a couple of pounds too heavy.

Nice to know there are people I can PM for info on the Ponte Vedra/Nocatee/Jacksonville area when I need it.

Lois, We stayed near St. John's Town Center on our first reconnaissance mission to the area. Spent some time at the Center and really liked it- lots of really nice restaurants. And to have a Total Wine so close will be great.

I am looking forward to driving so that I won't have to deal with airport security or worry that my bag may be a couple of pounds too heavy.

Hi:)...yes, there are alot of restaurants:D.......I could go 7 days and

eat at a different one every day of the week:)

Hi Lois – I see all your ships! What cruise line is that? Yes, flying down is also under consideration. I have time to decide as the cruise is not until December!

Hi, it is CELEBRITY:)...well, all are Celebrity except the one on HAL

and the one on Royal......You could say I am a Celebrity Gal;)

Hi Kate,

We got the LQ Oceanfront on Hotwire. We've stayed there before, so I was fairly confident that's what I was getting. A good point was made upthread about hotels in PC being impacted by cruise passengers, we just got lucky with this one.

This is very useful info for me as we will be living in Ponte Vedra (Nocatee) for the cruise next spring on Celebrity. My plan was to drive to Fort Lauderdale the day before, spend the night at the Hyatt Place and park at the off site parking area for 10 days. Would you recommend staying further out and completing the drive the next morning? I always worry about something tying up traffic and not getting to the ship on time.

Thanks. Any driving advice or timing info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Noc! Which neighborhood are you moving to?

Too funny, Straughn is moving there and I'm already there and you're across the street (Walden Chase?) Hi neighbor!