Curious but not Criticism

papa B me

I am curious about something that I see more frequently or at least I'm noticing it more on the River Cruise Forum then in the past. I really don't mean this as criticism and it isn't directed at anyone in particular.

It seems that there are quite a few people who stay active on the River Cruise forum that will say they were on a river cruise and it wasn't for them and don't plan on doing any more river cruises or are people who say they would never do a river cruise for this reason or that.

I agree that these are open forums and all are welcome but just somewhat curious why people stay on this board if they aren't planning on taking another cruise after posting a review stating whey they won't do another and I'm especially curious about those who say they will never do a river cruise.

Know what you mean! Am constantly surprised (and shake my head) when I read comments by people who don't ever river cruise. (see current comment on Cabin Poll!!) To each his own but why put down a way of traveling that so many others enjoy???

There's a story (perhaps apocryphal but too good not to repeat :)) that at Vatican II toward the end of a long discussion on some point a Cardinal got up to speak and said, "Everything that needs to be said on this has already been said ... BUT NOT BY ME." I think that may apply here. ;)

There's a story (perhaps apocryphal but too good not to repeat :)) that at Vatican II toward the end of a long discussion on some point a Cardinal got up to speak and said, "Everything that needs to be said on this has already been said ... BUT NOT BY ME." I think that may apply here. ;)

I have to confess, I don't know which posts you're referring to....but I love the quote!!! :D

PS: Oh....now I understand.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I've been wondering the same thing. Like, how much time do you HAVE on your hands that you read posts about things you don't care for or never will do...just to put in a comment that you hate it or won't do it?? Seems like a waste to me.

I continue to post because I think my opinions are just as valid as anyone else's, and having done a river cruise, am in a position to answer certain questions that might be posed here. Just because I don't like river cruising doesn't mean I couldn't tell you (and show you photos) of my lovely cabin on Avalon Vista, or discuss the itinerary or the food on board.

I also think it's important to have moderating/dissenting voices to people who are new to river cruising. Only hearing from "cheerleaders" can be misleading - river cruising is NOT for everyone, but sometimes people who love it don't think about those reasons or express them online.

I have to confess, I don't know which posts you're referring to....but I love the quote!!! :D

PS: Oh....now I understand.

Oh how I love this! Thanks for making my morning :)

I continue to post because I think my opinions are just as valid as anyone else's, and having done a river cruise, am in a position to answer certain questions that might be posed here. Just because I don't like river cruising doesn't mean I couldn't tell you (and show you photos) of my lovely cabin on Avalon Vista, or discuss the itinerary or the food on board.

I also think it's important to have moderating/dissenting voices to people who are new to river cruising. Only hearing from "cheerleaders" can be misleading - river cruising is NOT for everyone, but sometimes people who love it don't think about those reasons or express them online.

Well, well put!!

While I enjoy river cruising, I do agree with Hoyaheel that moderating/dissenting voices are equally as important to getting a rounded view of any product and when I am reading reviews and comments I pay as much attention to the negatives as I do to the positives, looking for things that I find as deal breakers for any product in both the pros and the cons.

Fair enough. Please don't think I was saying your opinions aren't valid. We're all wired differently and you are certainly a more helpful person then me to take the time to do what you do to help others even when you have decided against future river cruises.

Heck, we've also decided against ever going on a ship >1500 passengers but that doesn't stop me from ogling the new HAL Koningsdam. Never say never -there might come a time I'm ready for river cruising again (or there might be a family imperative to go on a ship larger than my husband and I would ever book on our own) so I do like to continue to read (& occasionally post) even if it's a "not for now" situation.

I even admit I sort of understand how people can post who do not want to ever go nor have ever been on a river cruise. They can share the reasons they've made that choice, which could be of use to those considering taking a first river cruise.

You never know what post might help someone else :D I really think Cruise Critic should be required reading for anyone getting ready to book a cruise - do your research BEFORE you book, because it's much easier to help people prep than to try to mitigate bad trips after the fact....

Well, well put!!

While I enjoy river cruising, I do agree with Hoyaheel that moderating/dissenting voices are equally as important to getting a rounded view of any product and when I am reading reviews and comments I pay as much attention to the negatives as I do to the positives, looking for things that I find as deal breakers for any product in both the pros and the cons.

I partially and respectfully disagree with Hoyaheel. If you have only been on one river cruise, and that is how I read your response, and it wasn't a good one then what you are going to write about could be all negative. It's not a fair representation of river cruising. Just like if you took one airplane flight and it was the ride from H*LL is that a valid representation of all airline flights.

Yes, I am happy to have dissenting opinions on this board. It gives me something to think about and to know what is important to me and what isn't.

River cruising is not for everyone. If someone is honest and states the reasons why, it can prevent someone from making a costly mistake.

My pet peeve is when a newbie asks a question and folks answer with their opinion as it is fact. Unless it can be proven, it's an opinion. Back up your opinions with reasons so folks can make informed choices.

Edited by Got2Cruise

I personally find comparisons between lines, vessels and itineraries to be the most helpful, on this and any other travel forum.

I do ignore posts from those who have never been on a river cruise and yet criticize them as, IMO, they cannot offer an opinion based on experience.

When researching a resort, hotel, or a cruise, I place more value on the opinions of those who have similar tastes and preferences to mine. If someone sails on Carnival or NCL and loves it, I know that we have totally different standards and tastes when it comes to a cruise experience.

Edited by caviargal

Opinions are like... (fill in the blank)...everyone has them and some smell better than others.

My opinion. I haven't been on a river cruise yet, but I've done a lot of research pending our upcoming trip, I am also a former travel agent, so I have some knowledge. I lived in Europe and the Caribbean so I have some knowledge there as well. I feel I can contribute a little and I try to. I enjoy being part of the community. I also appreciate the dissenting opinions because it may or may not have been something I would have thought about. I chose Avalon over Viking due to things I read here. I would have never thought about "rafting" and the blockage of my view if not for posts here.

It's all good info. It's up to us to filter, sort and analyze and decide what to do with it.

I love reading all the different contributors to loads of the posts but must admit some from those who have not river cruised or disliked it can be annoying or in some cases quite funny as they are in parts so inaccurate. We did a taster sea cruise which put us off for life so I do not comment on them I also feel I would not like the numbers on board. I have also only cruised with one company so only comment on others if my very close friends or family have experiences, or I have been on the same route. What I dislike is when someone starts a thread for whatever reason and then never returns with another comment or outcome. Maybe I'm just to curious for my own good.

CA

I've been on two River Cruises, both with the same company, and will probably never be able to afford another one but I do like to take advantage of CC's very open forums to express my opinion on subjects that I've actually partaken of. I would hope nothing changes (except that a get a visit from the Lotto Fairy).

I partially and respectfully disagree with Hoyaheel. If you have only been on one river cruise, and that is how I read your response, and it wasn't a good one then what you are going to write about could be all negative. .

If you've read my review (which I posted both in this forum and on the Member Review section of the board) you'd know I had a fabulous cruise and had no criticism at all of Avalon, its personnel, the food or the cabin. I simply do not like the concept of river cruising - it is not how I want to spend my vacation time or money. I stated all of this as clearly (and non-controversially as possible) in my review.

I would (and have) heartily recommended Avalon as a cruise line IF I think people really understand and are interested in what river cruising is.

Ok, I kind of hate when anyone tries to make other people either be quiet or go away. Think that is kind of the opposite of why we are drawn to the internet.

On another hand, frequently saying that river cruising isn't for me is kind of tone deaf to those who love doing it.

From a practical stand point. River cruising is nothing like ocean cruising. It is very possible to love one and to hate the other. I prefer ocean cruising and travelling to Europe on my own. A river cruise is a way to learn more than I would on my own, while providing a comfortable and somewhat extravagant way to move thru Europe. For me I can do own my own travel before and after. I can only stand so much time as part of a huge group and the frustration and drudgery of bussing around, and waiting for others who do not move at my pace. This is the same of tour groups no matter than manner of travel. My first trip to Europe was 30 years ago. I was a gradual student at UNC and we booked airfare for a week from NYC and transportation and optional tours based out of Innsbruck Austria. The DW and I planned on skiing one day and touring the next. After a week of driving thru Tyrollia listening to yodeling music on the radio on buses for 3 to 5 hours a day. I yearned to be in the cars whizzing by.

That is still me 30 years and lots of vacations all over the world since.

I think river cruising is perfect for those who are uncomfortable doing their own thing, and those with disposable income to take what is typically a pretty expensive vacation. I initially thought that a river cruise was perfect to go to places you might not be comfortable doing on your own, due to danger or extreme cultural differences. I now think if you can find a deal that it is a good experience even going some place you have been before.

That said, I default to I am against trying to silence others or to disqualifying them from posting. Freedom and Liberty are important.

jc<---- JMHO and YMMV

I think river cruising is perfect for those who are uncomfortable doing their own thing, and those with disposable income to take what is typically a pretty expensive vacation. I initially thought that a river cruise was perfect to go to places you might not be comfortable doing on your own, due to danger or extreme cultural differences. I now think if you can find a deal that it is a good experience even going some place you have been before.

We are most definitely not uncomfortable doing our own thing.

For us, river cruising is ideal when traveling with my mom, who is in her 80s. She loves to travel with us and DIY is just too difficult for us when she is with us. We use public transport and are out for a full day at a time, with no scheduled stops to rest. A river cruise allows us to be as busy as we want to be and her to do as much or little as she is comfortable doing. She loves the gentle walker options and is very comfortable meeting people in the smaller group setting a river cruise offers. We can still enjoy breakfast and dinner and other leisure time together.

Edited by caviargal

Ok, I kind of hate when anyone tries to make other people either be quiet or go away. Think that is kind of the opposite of why we are drawn to the internet.

On another hand, frequently saying that river cruising isn't for me is kind of tone deaf to those who love doing it.

From a practical stand point. River cruising is nothing like ocean cruising. It is very possible to love one and to hate the other. I prefer ocean cruising and travelling to Europe on my own. A river cruise is a way to learn more than I would on my own, while providing a comfortable and somewhat extravagant way to move thru Europe. For me I can do own my own travel before and after. I can only stand so much time as part of a huge group and the frustration and drudgery of bussing around, and waiting for others who do not move at my pace. This is the same of tour groups no matter than manner of travel. My first trip to Europe was 30 years ago. I was a gradual student at UNC and we booked airfare for a week from NYC and transportation and optional tours based out of Innsbruck Austria. The DW and I planned on skiing one day and touring the next. After a week of driving thru Tyrollia listening to yodeling music on the radio on buses for 3 to 5 hours a day. I yearned to be in the cars whizzing by.

That is still me 30 years and lots of vacations all over the world since.

That said, I default to I am against trying to silence others or to disqualifying them from posting. Freedom and Liberty are important.

jc<---- JMHO and YMMV

As the OP to clarify what I said in my original post - I want this to be an open forum open to all and was curious why?? people continue to post when they either have no intention to ever take a river cruise or never take another one. And I believe I received a good response from Hoyaheel that she is trying to be helpful and will never say never about a future river cruise.

Some of my thought processes in asking the question were that earlier in life I took a couple Carnival Cruises and I'm fairly confident in saying I would never take another Carnival cruise. But I don't go to the Carnival board and participate in the threads to say why I wouldn't go with them.

The other thought process was that for about a year I was considering doing an Oceania or Regent Cruise in the Med so I read the posts constantly. I was shocked at the antagonistic tone in their threads among the regulars and at times out right anger. Come to find out that many of the participants either no longer sail with the lines or have never sailed. The tone of the forums made me take a second look at Uniworld's Italy trip and have booked for next year.

Personally I find no lack of CC members sharing the negative experiences to counter the cheerleaders such as myself. And I hope that continues but in a civil way and not as I saw on the Oceania and Regent Boards.

When researching my first river cruise that I sailed on last July I devoured the reviews(both positive and negative). I found the most helpful threads by people who had sailed a number of times on different lines such as Caviargal and was willing to share both positive and negative.

So I end where I started, not trying to stifle anyone from participating just trying to create a better understanding for myself so I don't get frustrated with this board as I did the others and to help newbies as they start their research. From some of the responses in this thread I'm not the only one who was curious.

But now that I've beaten the subject to death I will gracefully bow out and thank especially hoyaheel for her responses.

As the OP to clarify what I said in my original post - I want this to be an open forum open to all and was curious why?? people continue to post when they either have no intention to ever take a river cruise or never take another one. And I believe I received a good response from Hoyaheel that she is trying to be helpful and will never say never about a future river cruise.

Some of my thought processes in asking the question were that earlier in life I took a couple Carnival Cruises and I'm fairly confident in saying I would never take another Carnival cruise. But I don't go to the Carnival board and participate in the threads to say why I wouldn't go with them.

The other thought process was that for about a year I was considering doing an Oceania or Regent Cruise in the Med so I read the posts constantly. I was shocked at the antagonistic tone in their threads among the regulars and at times out right anger. Come to find out that many of the participants either no longer sail with the lines or have never sailed. The tone of the forums made me take a second look at Uniworld's Italy trip and have booked for next year.

Personally I find no lack of CC members sharing the negative experiences to counter the cheerleaders such as myself. And I hope that continues but in a civil way and not as I saw on the Oceania and Regent Boards.

When researching my first river cruise that I sailed on last July I devoured the reviews(both positive and negative). I found the most helpful threads by people who had sailed a number of times on different lines such as Caviargal and was willing to share both positive and negative.

So I end where I started, not trying to stifle anyone from participating just trying to create a better understanding for myself so I don't get frustrated with this board as I did the others and to help newbies as they start their research. From some of the responses in this thread I'm not the only one who was curious.

But now that I've beaten the subject to death I will gracefully bow out and thank especially hoyaheel for her responses.

I understand your position.

I have been called a cheerleader numerous times. I usually defend businesses making what are business decisions. Having made a lot of those myself, I have some understanding of the hard nature of those things when individuals think they are negatively impacted.

These forums are full of people who are here primarily to grind their personal axes against cruise lines. Those, truly, irritate me. That said. They are pretty obvious to most of us who are regulars in this forum. I kind of like to let them have their spiel because they usually end up with destroyed credibility. A lot of posts here is no gaurantee of quality, but I rarely immediately ignore a long time posters opinion. There are some posters with a lot of posts that I do ignore, but that is a small number.

I have appreciated Hoyaheels comments, and I have never felt that she had an axe to grind, just an alternative view. I am sure she will either move on or book another river cruise, eventually. I know that is my history. I booked a HAL cruise to south America in 2005, I don't think I have been in that forum since 2006 or 7. Same with Princess we sailed to Australia with Princess, and I haven't been in that forum for at least two years. I think it is kind of normal to share, your recent experiences, but as time passes, our experiences become less relevant.

I share your feelings about Carnival, did one cruise in 1998 and I don't think I could convince my wife to try them again in any circumstances other than maybe they would pay her to go. I own some of their stock, so I hope that somebody continues to enjoy them.:cool::D

jc

Re: JCs comments regarding Carnival stock. Bloomberg Radio said the other day that this stock is a good investment and that it is rising now. My ears perked up because Mom bought the stock so she could get discounts on Princess. So hold onto it [emoji3]

What amazes me is the amount of Viking bashers who have never been on a Viking cruise. I have friends who like Viking and I invited them to this website to research future cruises and they came back indicating that they would have nothing to do with this board due to the negativity towards Viking. They could not believe the negative tone of this board. I happen to agree with them. I completely understand if you have cruised 2 or 3 different lines and prefer a line over another but to endlessly post negatively about a line they have no real experience with me befuddles me. At least experience it before you bash it so your opinion is at least valid. The other amazement I have with this board is the cheerleaders of a line who have also never experienced it and how these people argue with others that their chosen line is superior to other lines when these people have never stepped foot on a river cruise.