Royal Caribbean bumped us from our cabin and didn't tell us.

We are booked on Serenade's October 19th cruise from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale. The first week of booking we booked two E2 cabins next to each other midship on deck 8. I live in the UK and my brother and family live in the U.S. So we like to be close by or next to each other as we don't see each other often enough.

Last week as I started to complete the online checkin, I noticed that our cabin was different, a connecting cabin nine cabins away from the one we booked.

My travel agent had spent a lot of time the last week trying to get to the bottom of it. I emailed Mr. Bayley at RC and I had a phone call from Miami on Tuesday from a lady in head office.

It seems that another party booked " our" cabin at the exact same time as we did and we were bumped. Yet no one thought to tell us! If we had known at the time then we could have booked two other cabins next to each other.

On Tuesday they tried to offer us two cabins together but the only ones available were right at the front of the ship. So we decided to stay where we are although I have said as we are unlikely to get two cabins together, then I would just like to be moved from the connecting cabin. But at the moment the only E cabins free are those right at the front of the ship or connecting cabins. There are four D1 cabins available too but no offer of an upgrade! They have given us $ 100 OBC as a recompense.

My two concerns are that we were moved without being informed and we are in a connecting cabin which is not what we booked.

Just want to know if anyone thinks we can do any more or does anyone has any advice?

Edited by Pemcorgimum

We are booked on Serenade's October 19th cruise from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale. The first week of booking we booked two E2 cabins next to each other midship on deck 8. I live in the UK and my brother and family live in the U.S. So we like to be close by or next to each other as we don't see each other often enough.

Last week as I started to complete the online checkin, I noticed that our cabin was different, a connecting cabin nine cabins away from the one we booked.

My travel agent had spent a lot of time the last week trying to get to the bottom of it. I emailed Mr. Bayley at RC and I had a phone call from Miami on Tuesday from a lady in head office.

It seems that another party booked " our" cabin at the exact same time as we did and we were bumped. Yet no one thought to tell us! If we had known at the time then we could have booked two other cabins next to each other.

On Tuesday they tried to offer us two cabins together but the only ones available were right at the front of the ship. So we decided to stay where we are although I have said as we are unlikely to get two cabins together, then I would just like to be moved from the connecting cabin. But at the moment the only E cabins are those right at the front of the ship. There are four D1 cabins available too but no offer of an upgrade! They have given us $ 100 OBC as a recompense.

My two concerns are that we were moved without being informed and we are in a connecting cabin which is not what we booked.

Just want to know if anyone thinks we can do any more or does anyone has any advice?

I don't think there is anything else you can do. Seems like a genuine mix up. You can set upgrade preferences so perhaps check what yours were at the time too.

Happend to me too 2 years ago. The only thing is that I didn´t realize it until we were onboard (there was only one number different from the original cabin number). I had several booking confirmations showing the booked cabin number. None of them showed the new one. Even my cruise documents had the old number (and therefore the luggage tags I put on my luggage).

steamboats

I don't think there is anything else you can do. Seems like a genuine mix up. You can set upgrade preferences so perhaps check what yours were at the time too.

Currently, you can not select Upgrade Preferences in your Profile as they are not working.

Edited by cruisenfever

I don't think anything else can be done, and they are offering 100 obc for the mishap which I think is nice. They also offered to change you to other rooms in the same category but you don't like the location correct?

You are only 9 rooms away which really isn't far, and rooms really aren't that big to hang out in them in my opinion. We just nap, sleep, and shower in our rooms and then off for some fun the rest of the time.

I wouldn't get too upset about it, enjoy your time together!

Another Royal IT failure... they should have a process in place that locks the cabin to a reservation in progress.. not allow two simultaneous reservations to book the same cabin

Funny thing is they do. Even on a 24 hour hold, I've seen the cabin come off the site. :confused:

Another Royal IT failure... they should have a process in place that locks the cabin to a reservation in progress.. not allow two simultaneous reservations to book the same cabin

They do have a system in place. It normally locks out the room choice for 15 minutes. This happened to me when booking a JS on Vision a few years ago. I booked several rooms with the JS being the first one. It took considerable time to do all 4 rooms before finalizing payments. I paid and the TA called me back immediately because my payment wasn't accepted and there were no more JS available to book me under. I ended getting upgraded to a GS since I had made payment and there were no more rooms available in that category.

On Tuesday they tried to offer us two cabins together but the only ones available were right at the front of the ship. So we decided to stay where we are although I have said as we are unlikely to get two cabins together, then I would just like to be moved from the connecting cabin. But at the moment the only E cabins free are those right at the front of the ship or connecting cabins. There are four D1 cabins available too but no offer of an upgrade! They have given us $ 100 OBC as a recompense.

As previously stated, I wouldn't let this ruin my cruise, but I would try to get some resolution of what is obviously RCCL's error (since you HAVE a confirmation which shows the cabin # and deposited).

I have just looked and there are 2 cat. D1 cabins available on Deck 9 (9626 and 9638), they are only 6 cabins apart and neither is a connecting cabin. The current price of them is only $61 USD higher than the E2 being offered in a guarantee. I would have your TA contact RCCL and ask them to move you to the two D1 cabins that are available. I realize this is not your TA's fault, but that is his job, to advocate for you. He can (and should) ride the food train to the top to get a resolution that you are happy with. Good luck :)

I don't think anything else can be done, and they are offering 100 obc for the mishap which I think is nice. They also offered to change you to other rooms in the same category but you don't like the location correct?

You are only 9 rooms away which really isn't far, and rooms really aren't that big to hang out in them in my opinion. We just nap, sleep, and shower in our rooms and then off for some fun the rest of the time.

I wouldn't get too upset about it, enjoy your time together!

Thank you. Not upset at all just annoyed , a little

As previously stated, I wouldn't let this ruin my cruise, but I would try to get some resolution of what is obviously RCCL's error (since you HAVE a confirmation which shows the cabin # and deposited).

I have just looked and there are 2 cat. D1 cabins available on Deck 9 (9626 and 9638), they are only 6 cabins apart and neither is a connecting cabin. The current price of them is only $61 USD higher than the E2 being offered in a guarantee. I would have your TA contact RCCL and ask them to move you to the two D1 cabins that are available. I realize this is not your TA's fault, but that is his job, to advocate for you. He can (and should) ride the food train to the top to get a resolution that you are happy with. Good luck :)

Thanks. I have asked my TA to do just that . Will let you know what happens.

Why couldn't they move the other people that booked the cabin at the same time to the cabin 9 doors down since you are traveling with family and want to be next to each other?

That is what I would have the TA suggest to RCI. It might not matter that much to the other passengers.

I don't normally use a TA but that is what I would shoot for directly with RCI if I was in your shoes.

You are one of the lucky ones.:)

I just tried and mine is still not working and it hasn't worked for 6 months.

It seems that Diamond and above cannot change but people with Emerald and below can. I am Emerald and I can make changes. Go figure.

I just tried and mine is still not working and it hasn't worked for 6 months.

That's funny, I just tried to get on the site and I'm getting the 'Oops' page. LOL. You have to laugh or it will drive you crazy.

Get your TA on the phone and take a hard line. You booked adjoining cabins and that is what you expect to have, even if that means D category cabins instead of E. Travel Agents have FAR more resources and pull at RCI than an average customer will. If you TA doesn't seem willing to fight hard for you request a conference call with resolutions. Remember, your TA has earned a commission on this and is your AGENT so time to put them to work.

At todays onboard prices $100 OBC is kind of a joke.

For me nine cabins away, is not close. However, I have been in cabins that are next to the bow and there was not a problem. I would have chosen the forward cabins.

You made the decision that is right for you and that is what is important.

Enjoy your cruise with your family.