Taking Coffe off the ship

themutis

I know you are not allowed to take food off the ship while in port,but was wondering if this applied to coffee?

Is it possible to get a coffee at Cafe al Bacio and take it with you as you head off the ship for the day?

I know you are not allowed to take food off the ship while in port,but was wondering if this applied to coffee?

Is it possible to get a coffee at Cafe al Bacio and take it with you as you head off the ship for the day?

I'm not aware of any country that prohibits you from bringing in a cup of coffee.

Edited by Fouremco

Wouldn't it be easier to enjoy the coffee and a pastry at al Baccio before getting off the ship?

It's not difficult to grab a cup of coffee and head off the ship. At home I often grab a cup of coffee when on the way to work or while running errands. I was just asking if it was allowed.

We have several excursions where we are being picked up by a private car and I would love to have a cup of joe for the ride.

As far as pastries go, unfortunately my pastry days are over 😿

We have always taken coffee off the ship...enjoy in the car or bus on the way to our shore excursion...but this year no coffee off in Australia or New Zealand on Princess and last year none off in Hawaii/Tahiti ports ( what...Hawaii is the US!).... So maybe things are changing :confused: no explanation given, just drink it or toss it.....:mad:

Both Australia and New Zealand prohibited taking coffee off the ship.

I also saw signs in Alaska prohibiting this, but I think that there the prohibition was against taking paper cups off, and if you used your own sturdy beverage container you were ok. If I misinterpreted this, I'm sure someone will amend and correct my understanding of the situation.

Both Australia and New Zealand prohibited taking coffee off the ship.

I also saw signs in Alaska prohibiting this, but I think that there the prohibition was against taking paper cups off, and if you used your own sturdy beverage container you were ok. If I misinterpreted this, I'm sure someone will amend and correct my understanding of the situation.

I always bring my own container on board since the ship cups are small. Never had a problem with my own container.

In Australia the proper answer is NO but never seen anyone pulled up over it.

The Only Foid you are allowed bring off is most pre packaged commercial foods, but even those with unprocessed agricultural produce may well get stopped.

The signs on Celebrity Solstice in Alaska specifically mentioned open containers such as coffee. So I would expect a personal travel mug would fall under the restriction.

Of course Celebrity was selling bottled water and cans of pop to take on shore. I assume these beverages were covered under the appropriate beverage package.

I think drinking coffee on the go is an American thing - I've noticed it's usually not done in Europe and even considered rude to eat/drink while walking or in someone's vehicle. Most places it is not allowed I don't think so I wouldn't plan on it. I often book private tours and we always requests a quick stop at a coffee shop where we can spend 15 min drinking a good cup of local coffee before starting the tour - also gives us an opportunity to get to now each other and our tour guide.

Another cruise discussion board has this topic being posted and they have mentioned that Alaska is trying hard to limit their solid waste -- thus no paper cups are being allowed off the ships because they end up in the Alaskan landfills. I will make a guess that the same thing happened in Hawaii. Solid waste issues are huge for those two areas of the US.

In the Caribbean I have done it at basically every port. Café El Bacio has "to go" containers just like a starbucks, and we usually go there hang out for a while grab a coffee drink it, and then grab a water and coffee to go.

• 2 months later...
Wouldn't it be easier to enjoy the coffee and a pastry at al Baccio before getting off the ship?

Wouldn't it be easier to actually answer the question that was asked instead of passing judgment on the question asked?

Not everyone is a morning person and many ports are early. Some people prefer to drink coffee to go, rather than waste their limited time in port.