Tipping Cabin Attendant/Steward

mickeychicky

We just got back from our first cruise and was wondering (for the next cruise) how much money in dollars (not percentage) is appropriate to tip a cabin steward?

Specifically, 7-day cruise, 2 people. We didn't ask for anything from our steward and I pre-paid my gratuities. This is just for the "extra" amount to leave. I'm wondering if I left enough or too much (don't want to say).

I asked some random cruiser on our cruise who was also a 1st time cruiser and she said the same dollar amount I was going to leave.

Just want to be prepared for the next cruise.

Thank you!

That is a personal choice and any amount in addition to the prescribed prepaid gratuity is appreciated by anyone you should decide to tip extra. There is no guideline and the decision to add more and the amount predetermined is entirely up to you based on your experience with them. And not adding more is also appropriate as the recommended amount is all that would normally be expected.

If you have prepaid tips or had them added to your account, there is no need to tip additionally...you've already tipped the recommended amount. IMO, that covers everything they are supposed to do for you, like clean the cabin and bring ice/towels, empty trash, etc...

Remember, if you have pre-paid your gratuities you are not required to pay more. You have paid what is suggested. However, some people do pay more to their cabin stewards or anyone who happened to make their cruise special. But you certainly don't have to.

Last cruise, we had a wonderful cabin steward who went above and beyond. We paid him an extra $20 at the end of the cruise.

We just got back from our first cruise and was wondering (for the next cruise) how much money in dollars (not percentage) is appropriate to tip a cabin steward?

Specifically, 7-day cruise, 2 people. We didn't ask for anything from our steward and I pre-paid my gratuities. This is just for the "extra" amount to leave. I'm wondering if I left enough or too much (don't want to say).

I asked some random cruiser on our cruise who was also a 1st time cruiser and she said the same dollar amount I was going to leave.

Just want to be prepared for the next cruise.

Thank you!

there is zero expectation to give anything on top of the daily amount if you do not use them for anything. we will not tip extra unless we require them to do stuff .. such as fill the ice bucket twice a day.

one cruise our Cabin steward brought all our luggage inside from the hall before we even made it to the cabin. HE got extra.

WE normally will tip a little extra, but it all depends on the service, we had such a great room steward last year she got a nice tip. But as said it is not needed, I always preferred the old days when no tips were taken out and you tipped at end of the week

The fact is, you have already tipped through your gratuities. The reality is these people are not well-paid and are often supporting family back home from what they earn and from their tips.

I always tip the steward extra cash (usually about $20 on a seven-day cruise), because from what I see these people work from dawn to dark on a split shift. I just don't think they get paid enough. I only had one steward who disappointed me on 10 cruises. She was a great smiler, and not much of a worker. The other nine did everything they could to make my cruise more enjoyable for me. That's just how I see it.

Edited by wassup4565

On a travel blog I once read when someone tips extra early in the cruise the cabin steward feels some pressure to exceed the levels of service they are already delivering. I found that interesting.

Normally we don't tip extra, but here are some times we did. In June we had an aft extended balcony and the steward found my wife a lounger to enjoy. He also filled her soft sided cooler with water bottles and ice twice a day. $20 was worth his extra effort.

On the Triumph last New Years we had a cabin that would not cool enough. Our steward arranged for engineering to visit and found a fan. I gave him extra cash as well.

While not as frequent; the cabin attendants sometimes get a half day in port. I ask them what day they are off the ship, and give them some cash telling them "let us by your lunch ashore." I have no clue if this is appropriate or not, I just do it.

Edited by BallFour4

We prepay tips too. And only tip in cash if the steward went over and beyond what we expected--like special requests.

Only one time did that happen. and the steward went above and beyond-- making sure my grand daughter was taken care of all week

we pre paid the tip for all three of us-- and then we gave him 25.00 at the end. (but also gave him 2 days off during the cruise---by requesting not to bother with our rooms those days,.

Same with my waiter-- if service is above what I expected I will give an extra 25.00 and it does not happen that often

I pre pay our tips. I will only give extra to the steward if I've seen them working hard (which they usually do) I tip extra about $20, at most, or whatever currency is used in ports that we visit. I often see the crew returning to the ship with bags of snacks, so think local currency will be useful for that purpose.

Technically with auto-tip you do not have to tip anything extra however, many people do. If you are going to give the steward something extra then becomes a personal matter but I would suggest something in the range of $20 to $40 would be very nice, put it in an envelope with a note thanking him or her.

Does anyone tip at the beginning and end of the cruise? I've seen a few posts with people who tip a bit at the beginning to encourage good service and at the end to reward it. Just wondering how common that is....

Edited by widallas

Does anyone tip at the beginning and end of the cruise? I've seen a few posts with people who tip a bit at the beginning to encourage good service and at the end to reward it. Just wondering how common that is....

There has been the odd post over the years where people have suggested that they do this and others have posted that stewards regard that has a bribe and are offended. We have always tipped and the end of the cruise, our steward knows that we want fresh ice in the late afternoon and as we have free laundry with Princess, the steward does a great job picking up our laundry bag in the morning and returning our clean clothes the next day ..... we are happy to tip extra for this kind of service.

Lots of people posting here say they tip the steward 20 bucks at the start of the cruise-- but many feel that this is a bribe and how do you know that you got good service because of the 20 bucks or not.

Secondly...most people do not see the steward the first day-- they are off usually between the hours of 1-5 but its also their job to see that luggage gets delivered too.