Worlds Stock Markets Drop Impact on Cruise Prices

mcrcruiser

Cliff, if this is just a temporary correction in the market, I would say that it would have little lasting impact on cruise line profits or prices -- at least in the US. I was wondering how the shaky China market will affect their recent love of cruising. It will be interesting to see if some of the ships dedicated to the Asian market (like Century -- now owned by Pullmantur) end up being re-positioned elsewhere.

Edited by wwcruisers

It will depend on how things play out if it is like 2008 or worse which some have said it could be then yes bookings will drop. In 2008 401Ks and investment funds held by retirees and those still working took huge hits. If this happens again then mentally it is going to be hard to feel well off enough for some to take that cruise/cruises.

I had been anticipating this and took our 401K out of pretty much all stock and got into cash a month ago. The day after I did market went up, up….but now very glad I made that call.

This could be very bad….it not now someday soon. :mad:

Cliff, if this is just a temporary correction in the market, I would say that it would have little lasting impact on cruise line profits or prices -- at least in the US. I was wondering how the shaky China market will affect their recent love of cruising. It will be interesting to see if some of the ships dedicated to the Asian market (like Century -- now owned by Pullmantur) end up being re-positioned elsewhere.

Suzanne what these stock markets are predicting is much lower earnings in the future for companies ,due to the substantial decreases in the growth of major economies. Also oil prices & other commodity prices are sagging quickly .

Because of the "lower "wealth effect" I feel that people will be watching where they spend their surplus capital ,especially on vacations .;)

It will depend on how things play out if it is like 2008 or worse which some have said it could be then yes bookings will drop. In 2008 401Ks and investment funds held by retirees and those still working took huge hits. If this happens again then mentally it is going to be hard to feel well off enough for some to take that cruise/cruises.

I had been anticipating this and took our 401K out of pretty much all stock and got into cash a month ago. The day after I did market went up, up….but now very glad I made that call.

This could be very bad….it not now someday soon. :mad:

We too got out of the US stock market :). Reading the Wall Street Journal in between the lines foretold this was coming . FWIW ,I will wait & then buy back in with high quality companies who have a long track record of dividend paying & increasing dividends .There will be excellent opportunities for those who wait ,imo;)

Imo the loss in the wealth effect has to impact cruise spending:eek:

Unfortunately the market is heading lower once again & RCL stock is negative again .:o

Stocks go up. Stocks go down. Sometimes they don't change at all. RCL seems to be performing better than the general market.

I've been through it all before with Fanny May, Freddy Mac, Lehman's, Royal Bank of Scotland and the like. For those of us "in it" and are able to take a long enough view it all comes out in the wash, but nonetheless it hurts. Good on those "out of it". Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up amphetamines.

Phil

Yes, i feel that this is just a market correction. I am in for the long term and have stocks that are paying great dividends. Anyone who bought after the crash in 2008 was very happy up to this correction. If you are in it for the long term, happy days will come again. The US economy is much stronger now than it was in the 2008 crash. Be patient

do you feel that with the tremendous losses in the various worlds stock markets now ,that it will impact cruise bookings & thus lower prices ?

So to revisit the original thought, IMHO, which wont get you a cup of joe no where:D No impact to lower pricing, most RCCL ships sail at 90+ % now, while Celebrity is sailing at over 95% of capacity.

And will it effect bookings? No again. Average people that vacation on ship are not using funds, for the most part, from a stock account to pay the tab.

We from time to time will dip into the dividend side tho. We still have the same # of shares, returning the same dividend.

Take a cruise and forget about the stock market. Prices of everything will continue to go up and go down - that's just the way it is, the way it always has been and the way it will always be.

Stocks are on sale at the moment. Who doesn't like a great sale?????

I had a stop loss on RCL kick in today and a limit buy order kick in on CCL. Banked my RCL in the green and CCL went up a couple bucks after it tripped.

So I guess I may be switching to HAL or Princess since I couldn't use the shareholder benefit on RCL anyway. rofl :p J/K.

But it won't affect my cruising as someone earlier pointed out.

We too got out of the US stock market :). Reading the Wall Street Journal in between the lines foretold this was coming . FWIW ,I will wait & then buy back in with high quality companies who have a long track record of dividend paying & increasing dividends .There will be excellent opportunities for those who wait ,imo;)

So.... you plan to buy high? Historically the market has always rebounded, and climbed higher than before. Sometimes it takes longer, but it's always happened. So it's somewhat backward thinking to say "gee, the market has fallen, I should sell now when it's low and buy back in later when it's higher."

As far as the US stock market is concerned, I don't think it will affect bookings for cruises here, but if the Chinese economic situation continues, and their cash continues to be devalued, I wonder if any company who's put a lot of eggs in the Chinese basket will continue to do so. The emerging Asian market is attractive to many, especially cruise lines who are putting SO many ships in that area, but if their economies continue to fade, how long will it take those cruise lines to pull back?

As far as the US stock market is concerned, I don't think it will affect bookings for cruises here, but if the Chinese economic situation continues, and their cash continues to be devalued, I wonder if any company who's put a lot of eggs in the Chinese basket will continue to do so. The emerging Asian market is attractive to many, especially cruise lines who are putting SO many ships in that area, but if their economies continue to fade, how long will it take those cruise lines to pull back?

That may be what the OP is anticipating. That if the Asian cruise market falters, that =X= and/or RCL may redeploy some ships back to the U.S. market, but more specifically California and the West Coast. The OP runs a good campaign here on the =X= board about the fact =X= and RCL largely ignore California. Being a native Californian, I can't fault them, although I feel we're not going to see any redeployment of ships from Asia anytime soon.

That may be what the OP is anticipating. That if the Asian cruise market falters, that =X= and/or RCL may redeploy some ships back to the U.S. market, but more specifically California and the West Coast. The OP runs a good campaign here on the =X= board about the fact =X= and RCL largely ignore California. Being a native Californian, I can't fault them, although I feel we're not going to see any redeployment of ships from Asia anytime soon.

What you are saying is part of this saga .;)

Today August 25th the market showed a top gain of DOW 441 points ;but ended down 205 points .:o

There are market pros like Mark Faber who feels this US market can still drop 20 to 40 % due to US & Global slow downs & bubles,especially China.If that takes hold many people will loose a lot of money ;which will heavily impact the US economy & thus ,the cruise industry . More recession would hurt the cruise industry & imo lower prices:eek:

Edited by mcrcruiser