A Diamond Club Question

Before I ask my question I want to say a few things. :)

Please don't yell at me.

Please don't assume I am trying to get away with anything.

We are 9 nights from being Diamond Plus, so I am not a newbie when it come to the Diamond club or Diamond Benefits.

Having said that I haven't seen anyone address this question.

I know we aren't allowed to bring extra non-Diamond family members/friends into the Diamond club during cocktail hour, but now that more and more people are getting the Premium beverage package, is it still a taboo to bring a non-Diamond family member/friend into the lounge if they have a Premium beverage package?

My thinking is that we Diamond members without a drink package can only have drinks in the Diamond lounge during certain hours BUT they have no such restrictions....so it would make sense that they come to where we can get complimentary drinks instead of us going to a public lounge and paying for our drinks. (I know on some cruises they load three drinks onto our cards, but are they now doing that on all cruises or just the ones with a lot of Diamond members??)

Do you see what I am thinking? What are your thoughts on this?

Again, please be nice. :)

I still believe it should be for Diamondclub members only and they have to draw a line somewhere. If you bring your friends in it would mean any other Diamond club member with friends on bev package would also want to come in and so on.

Usually appetisers etc are served at these events as well so they probably don't want large numbers attending.

I'm sure your friends wouldn't mind having a drink in one of the other lounges if you want to attend the event, that's what we do.

You asked this in the Celebrity forum, so I'll address it assuming you meant Captains Club cocktail hour.

If you are on a sailing with a reasonable number of elites, then they will have specific a specific venue and time, and generally will verify SeaPass cards for eligibility to enter the venue.

If your cruise has a high number of elites, they will give out coupons 3 per day that the cocktail hour (2 hours) will be held, for use at certain bars, in which case you and to friends can go to any of those, you pay with coupons, they pay with their beverage package.

It's not unheard of for non-elites to get in the elite function, especially once it starts, but don't EXPECT this to work, or be disappointed when they turn your guests away.

So the answer is technically NO your friends can't go, in practicality, you MAY be successful in "gaming" the system, I say "gaming" as the venue itself is designated for a private function, for elites, during that time, therefore non elites are not supposed to be in there during that period of time.

Another workaround is to assign 1 elite member to each cabin, and then sleep however you want. All guests in a cabin receive the perks for the highest level Captains Club member in the cabin. So if 1 is elite, one is nothing, both will get elite perks.

Edited by cle-guy

Promise I'll be nice - I can't believe how touchy some CC members get about things like the exclusivity of Elite/Diamond benefits!

I think that the answer would probably be no, though, for two reasons: firstly, because of course they do also serve food at these events, not just drinks, and secondly, and I suppose linked to the first reason - the trouble is that if they make an exception for one person, they have to do it for everybody, and things would get out of hand. And then they'd end up having to cater for canapes for way more than they were expecting. I can see your reasoning, of course - your friends can drink anywhere, you can't. So surely it would make sense for them to come to you. But I think the above is probably why it wouldn't be allowed.

Let's hope your next cruise they do the loading the seapass card with 3 drinks thing, and then everybody will be happy.

You asked this in the Celebrity forum, so I'll address it assuming you meant Captains Club cocktail hour.

If you are on a sailing with a reasonable number of elites, then they will have specific a specific venue and time, and generally will verify SeaPass cards for eligibility to enter the venue.

If your cruise has a high number of elites, they will give out coupons 3 per day that the cocktail hour (2 hours) will be held, for use at certain bars, in which case you and to friends can go to any of those, you pay with coupons, they pay with their beverage package.

It's not unheard of for non-elites to get in the elite function, especially once it starts, but don't EXPECT this to work, or be disappointed when they turn your guests away.

So the answer is technically NO your friends can't go, in practicality, you MAY be successful in "gaming" the system, I say "gaming" as the venue itself is designated for a private function, for elites, during that time, therefore non elites are not supposed to be in there during that period of time.

Another workaround is to assign 1 elite member to each cabin, and then sleep however you want. All guests in a cabin receive the perks for the highest level Captains Club member in the cabin. So if 1 is elite, one is nothing, both will get elite perks.

Gaming the system and workarounds to beat the system? Isn't there any ethics, and honesty around anymore? It must be the drink packages causing the people to obtain things they didn't earn. And you wonder why pricing is on the rise?

Gaming the system and workarounds to beat the system? Isn't there any ethics, and honesty around anymore? It must be the drink packages causing the people to obtain things they didn't earn. And you wonder why pricing is on the rise?

In today's world it is the "it's all about me" syndrome that is prevalent. To heck with the rules. They are only for other people. "I'm special"!

It gets old after awhile. :(

I'd wonder if pricing were on the rise if it really was. But I don't see fares rising.

Crusie fares have not and are not increasing to keep pace with inflation, so in effect have actually dropped, using real money.

One of the points of a website like this is to share real-world details.

If celebrity wants to police these things, they can dedicate staff to do so or write regulations and enforce them. If they choose not to staff accordingly to enforce regulations, that's on them. That tells me these are "soft rules" with wiggle room.

You do what you want, I will do as I please. I see no ethical dilemma here. If they ask me not to bring someone, I will leave then, not put up a stink. If they allow me to come in with a guest, then my guest is coming in. They are running a ship full of fun times and creating memories, not a full security prison.

Most of the people who get up in a dander over these things, on the other hand say "i'll show up to the pier any time I want, even if they are doing staggered boarding" or "I won't dress for formal night because I don't want to".

Each to their own.

Edited by cle-guy

Please don't yell at me.

We are 9 nights from being Diamond Plus, so I am not a newbie when it come to the Diamond club or Diamond Benefits.

I know we aren't allowed to bring extra non-Diamond family members/friends into the Diamond club during cocktail hour, but now that more and more people are getting the Premium beverage package, is it still a taboo to bring a non-Diamond family member/friend into the lounge if they have a Premium beverage package?

My thinking is that we Diamond members without a drink package can only have drinks in the Diamond lounge during certain hours BUT they have no such restrictions....so it would make sense that they come to where we can get complimentary drinks instead of us going to a public lounge and paying for our drinks. (I know on some cruises they load three drinks onto our cards, but are they now doing that on all cruises or just the ones with a lot of Diamond members??)

Seeing how there is no Diamond Lounge on Celebrity it is a moot point.

I don't have a dog in this hunt as we are not yet Elite and therefore have never been to the Elite Cocktail party. O.K. except for once on Solstice where they roped off 1/2 the lounge and we were sitting on the "other" side and the servers kept trying to press us to take the free drinks and appetizers - which we kept refusing BECAUSE we knew we didn't quality for them - see some of us really DO have ethics that we live by.

But to the OP - so what if everyone traveling with non-elite friends decides to do the same? How over crowded would that room get - very quickly? So the people that are Elite or higher - who earned their way there now have no seat. I'd ask you can your traveling friends not spend an hour on their own - having their own cocktails before you join for dinner? I just have to shake my head. How many threads do we need to see where people want to bring non Elites to the Elite Cocktail party, want to bring non suite guests into Luminea? Gimletgal is correct - it is a ME, ME, ME society and the rest of everyone be danged.

But this is kind of what I mean about people getting so touchy. I think there needs to be perspective. The OP is Elite anyway. His friends aren't, but they are entitled to free drinks anywhere around the ship at any time because they have a drinks package. Yes, Celebrity's answer may be no, simply because they may be wary of setting a precedent that may get out of hand, but to talk about it in terms of "ethics and honesty" just seems to be going a bit over the top - his friends have nothing particular to gain other than access to the odd bit of prawn-on-a-stick being handed round once in a blue moon. It just isn't that big a deal (we only went once, probably won't bother again).

Two points from my perspective, and yours may vary.

One, we don't get to choose which policies, rules, guidelines call them what you will, that we will follow. We signed on knowing the policies, so we agree to follow them all, not just the ones we like.

Two, asking a service person for an exception, such as please let my friend into this venue which is for Elite only, puts them into a conflict position. Why would you do that ? They have a job to do, saying NO puts them into a difficult position. It's a matter of simple respect.

Both Celebrity and Royal check you in.at the door...on X they check the cards;.and for some Cap Club events there really is no extra rm...on an off night who knows?

on Oasis, the hostess said we could bring guests to the Diamond get together, on the last night, (not as crowded),,,our dtr and sil loved it..now they may have an incentive to book more often.

Hi Margie-

I don't see anything wrong with someone who has a premium drink package being able to join you in whatever lounge.... shoot they would have more "buying" power than the Elite person who has a rather strict menu of drinks to choose from for their "happy hour" (shoot they don't even have a glass of pinot grigio on that list). I don't know how well they are "policed" as far as a "non elite" being asked to leave a lounge....:eek:

If this is about the Reflection TA next year I would suspect they will do the same thing they have done for many of the TA's the past few years, and that is to provide a sheet of coupons to all Elites in your stateroom at embarkation with 3 for each day they are to be honored. They honored them in most of the lounges on the ship on the Eclipse TA this past April. There are usually hundreds of Elite and above on TA's, and I gather they find this easier than designating one lounge .... if they do this on the Reflection TA, your friends can join you in any of them. Hope that helps....:)

Why is this thread on the Celebrity board? Shouldn't it be on the Royal Caribbean board?

I've moved this thread to the Royal Caribbean forum.

Please don't yell at me.

You get the 3 drinks daily loaded on your Seapass card on ALL ships.

The three drinks are loaded on your Seapass card on all ships, so you can join your non diamond friends at any bar. They can use their package and you have the drinks available on your card.

On all my most recent cruises, Oasis, Allure and Independence the concierge has welcomed passengers to the lounge and verified their cards. Your friends would not have access. On the Independence in June of this year the Concierge was very strict on this. I think the lounges are too crowded with diamond and diamond plus guests ......there is more involved than just the free drinks.

Please don't yell at me.

I know we aren't allowed to bring extra non-Diamond family members/friends into the Diamond club during cocktail hour,

You stated the answer yourself.

Bringing non Diamond, Diamond+, or Pinnacle friends goes against your above statement (RED) regardless of your reasons.

Edited by beachnative

I'm going to write this down as one of those foolish consistencies that makes little real sense, but is what it is. Kind of like I can drink as much booze as I like in the United Club before going to the gate (as a member), but have to pay for it in coach on the plane.

In the macro sense, the OP is right that it's essentially a difference that makes no difference. They'd get "free" drinks regardless. In the micro sense, the Diamond club probably is its own cost center from RCI's standpoint, and the clubs aren't huge to begin with, so letting anyone else in just becomes problematic.

AND, your friends on the package frankly have a better selection of drinks than you do at the lounge, in all probability!

Please don't yell at me.

The three diamond drinks are loaded onto every diamond member's seapass card on every sailing, for every day ofnthat sailing. So, no reason you can join your friends at any bar on the ship and enjoy cocktails together during the Diamond hours - yours will be limited to the Diamond cocktail choices (usually, occasionally a particular bartender will make an exception, but this is not the norm).

They cannot join you in the Diamond lounge and just use their drink package for two reasons: one) they're not diamond members. Two) the full bar is not operating during a diamond lounge hours, there's nothing to buy. The bartenders do not have the purchase system up and running seeing this time, as there is no need - and selection is limited. So - no way to use their package as cards aren't being swiped for drinks in the lounge.

Of course - the question always is - why should your friends be any more special than anyone else's on that sailing? I have no doubt there will be other diamond members traveling with friends or family - why shouldn't yours be more important than theirs?

As your friends keep sailing, they'll earn their own perks and maybe someday you'll be able to meet in the lounge together. Until then, enjoy your three included diamond drinks at bar of choice with tour friends, or split up during that time while you're in your lounge and they do their thing

Edited by reedprincess

Geez! I read this thread with tremendous confusion:confused::confused:…why were people giving Celebrity answers to a Royal Caribbean question? Now I get it having seen that it's been moved by a CC Host.

To the OP...As for admitting your friends to the DL, I understand the basis of your question since the availability of free drinks to non D/D+ wouldn't appear to be an issue for folks with drink packages. They already paid, so they wouldn't get charged anyway no matter where they ordered a drink. But it's probably more complicated. The DL and CL have a little bit of a different issue in that there is some kind of fiscal accountability with a C&A program budget/billing protocol for the alcohol, mixers, bar fruit, h'ors oeuvres etc. consumed in each lounge. So the prepaid drinks that your friends get at bars come out of a different budget line than those served free in the lounges. And crowding can also be a problem, which is why the voucher program came to be. I know that the Concierges do make exceptions on a case by case basis, so you may as well ask and see what the Diamond Concierge says. I think your friends might enjoy a bar that doesn't limit their options like the DL would more though!

The good news is that all ships are using the vouchers now. You will have 3 drink vouchers on your sea pass card daily, hours of usage are approx. 5 to 8:30 (may differ according to the MDR times on your ship), you can get your voucher drinks at any bar on the ship (not in any eating venues), and your drink choices are limited to what's available in the DL.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

It is not just about the drinks. It is also about the real estate. I see you are sailing on the Liberty. The Diamond lounge on the Liberty is in a great location and space is limited. Given the many issues recently with lack of sufficient seats in both the Diamond and Diamond Plus lounges on various ships, it would not seem fair to have some of those seats occupied by people who are not "members of the club", so to speak.