Missed Final Payment

cuculola

Royal does not keep credit cards on file

Actually, they do, but not for charging purposes. They keep the credit card information used for payments so they can use it when refunding those payments. Refunds are generally made to their original sources.

Never. Well, not in my experience and not as far as I know. NO.

That's what they did for me

Latest booking even states if by the final payment the balance is outstanding it will be charged on the credit card previously used

Hi all,

I was wondering what happens if you missed the final payment due date? I know there are penalties for canceling x number of days before the cruise. Would missing the final be an automatic cancellation?

Chances are you'd get at least one phone call although I wouldn't bank on it. They's certainly be within their rights to cancel and issue a refund. If I was thinking about cancelling, I'd call before final due date and if I was definitely going on the cruise, payment would be made well in advance.

I have a booking for the end of next month that has been paid in full for a while. After I printed out the Set Sail Pass it re-price itself and said I owed $775. I called C and A and the man said it would have gotten cancelled had I not called.

I wonder if anyone has had that happen and then they show up at the pier with no reservation. :eek:

I have a booking for the end of next month that has been paid in full for a while. After I printed out the Set Sail Pass it re-price itself and said I owed $775. I called C and A and the man said it would have gotten cancelled had I not called.

I wonder if anyone has had that happen and then they show up at the pier with no reservation. :eek:

That is scary. Did you use a travel agent for that booking?

I have never actively made a final payment, they have charged my card on file.

Every month I make a payment on my cruise and have asked our RCI rep to just bill our card (we use the same person at Royal for all our cruises) and have been told that they do not keep them on file so I'd have to either call them in or pay on line. I don't do online payments anymore since I did that a few months ago, when our guy was out sick and it doubled the price of my cruise ....had to get taken care of very quickly!

That is scary. Did you use a travel agent for that booking?

No- it was a booking made onboard. I had another reservation a year or more ago that kept re-pricing itself but it never happened again and I have not heard about it on here lately. I printed the luggage tags yesterday and called to make sure it is still a zero balance.

I won't be going into it again

Edited by molly361

I have used the same local TA for years and never have had a problem with repricing following a payment. She has the Credit Card on file at their office and uses that card when I let her know to make a payment which she calls the cruise line to authorize them to charge the specified amount to the credit card.

Perhaps I'm missing some fact here....."re-priced itself"...after you had made final payment...not that that should matter once booked :confused::confused:

• 2 years later...

Here is my experience with RCI today. Somehow I missed the emails for final payment and noticed the cancellation email. Called corporate and spoke with Jell, who by policy will not provide her last name:mad:. I explain how the email was sent on a Saturday and that I get hundreds of emails a day that it is easy to miss an email. Was ridicule for being an adult and should be responsible for reading the emails.

The Bottom line, according to Jill and "policy" they can not re-instate your reservation. I am left with rebooking at the prevailing rate if I want to keep my deposit.

Have booked many cruises before and they just take the final payment off the original CC.

Lesson learned.

1. Cross RCI off my list due to bad cruise relations

2. Never go direct. Let the TA take care of it

3. Never sail with RCI again. go with NCL:mad::mad:

Hi all,

I was wondering what happens if you missed the final payment due date? I know there are penalties for canceling x number of days before the cruise. Would missing the final be an automatic cancellation?

REALLY!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is my experience with RCI today. Somehow I missed the emails for final payment and noticed the cancellation email. Called corporate and spoke with Jell, who by policy will not provide her last name:mad:. I explain how the email was sent on a Saturday and that I get hundreds of emails a day that it is easy to miss an email. Was ridicule for being an adult and should be responsible for reading the emails.

The Bottom line, according to Jill and "policy" they can not re-instate your reservation. I am left with rebooking at the prevailing rate if I want to keep my deposit.

Have booked many cruises before and they just take the final payment off the original CC.

Lesson learned.

Or instead of relying on others you could have marked the date final payment was due in your calendar.

Lesson learned.

So your cruise was cancelled TODAY, and you took the time to dig up a 3 year old thread on CC and make your first ever post here about it?

Our strategy is:

1. Always book direct with RCCL

2. Keep track of final payment date.

3. Call and make final payment on time.

It's worked flawlessly every time.

Lesson learned.

So let me see if I understand your situation. YOU booked a cruise, YOU put down a down payment, YOU received paperwork showing the final payment date, YOU didn’t make your final payment in time, YOU received a courtesy email reminder regarding cancellation which YOU didn’t read so your cruise was cancelled.

Since RCCL has thousands of cruisers who take responsibility and can manage to pay off their cruises in a timely manner, tell me again how this is anyone’s fault but your own?

A co-worker of mine totally forgot about her final payment by two and half weeks. I happened to ask her about the cruise and thought her final was around the current timeframe. Amazingly she called up, still had the reservation, made final payment and it was fine. I was beyond shocked she still had a cabin.

Getting harder now. Seen one cruise canceled completely after 2 days late. And we hearing more about this now on here. Year ago went to month before sailing before was going be canceled. Either way I wouldn't take a chance...

I always book directly with RCI and two weeks before final payment is due they send me a reminder with a copy of the invoice. And then one week before final I get another email from RCI with the same copy of the invoice. Once I make final payment I get an email with a copy of the invoice showing no balance due.

When you book through one of the Big Box travel they setup final payment date and credit card to use at time of booking..

I booked direct through Royal and paid it before it was due in the month it was due after my cc billing cycle had closed. I think if it was due in January I would pay in Dec to get the cc cashback in February.

I've never not been notified days/weeks in advance of final payment. But I've never needed the reminder because I'm that person who has to have everything on a calendar because I can't remember my name half the time much less when the final payment of an anticipated vacation is due. Also normally by final payment day, I've already paid it off ! I like to split the balance and pay it of on sort of a monthly installment deal. Hurts less... In regards to OP swapping cruise lines, it'll be the same song and dance if/when the final payment is missed.

I know this was an old post but the only one I can blow some steam. Thanks for all the responses. Like I said. "Lesson Learned". Just rebooked to maintain my $500 deposit. Will stick with a TA for all my future cruises. clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744

Lesson learned.

I totally agree

Whoever I am booked through, Cruise line or TA, It is my responsibility to notify whomever is holding my reservation, to run the final payment. I keep current Invoices so know when final is due and in most cases, will call it in at least a month before then I know it is done. I never wait until the actual date shown on my Invoice.