Elite Level Changing

1MKS1128

I don't think most people go around "checking out lanyards." :rolleyes: I think what people here have been complaining about are the few who wave their black card at the end of the lanyard in order to get attention. I'm kind of short, and on many men, the lanyard hangs right at my eye level. In fact, it was after a couple of these encounters in an elevator that I decided to do my little card-color survey. Boy, RocketMan was right. People get downright silly on the topic of lanyards.

Hey! Its my cruise remember? :p

I do find it kind of interesting that while a common industry standard has an average cruise at 7 days; to make elite in days would require 15 10 day cruises (150 days). If it were 15 7 day cruises it would only take 105 days.

I'm addicted to cruising and qualify both with days and numbers so it's just kind of an interesting thought for me.

Oh and while I agree most of the ship is on the shorties for credits; I like to take them sometimes just for a fun evening. I live near Seattle. But maybe I'm the oddball. :D

I think they should have a system where every dollar spent for your cruise and while on board cruising gives you so many points. Each level is based on those points. The more you spend the more princess makes so why not reward people for it. Just like a points card.

It seems the fairest way to me. It will never happen, but I can see them changing to the amount of days cruised rather then the system they have now.

HAL gives credit for $$$ spent on-board.

Ah, the easy-Elite thread! This should almost be a sticky given how often it comes up.

I agree that it's not how you get your elite, it's how you use it.

I received mine VERY early in my cruising days (that's another story) and I will be the one to admit and confess that initially I enjoyed showing it off on my lanyard. What can I say, I was young and shallow. Now I still use a lanyard, but my card sits in a card holder on the lanyard and is faced with the front side of another card holder which hold my coffee card. I even cut out part of the back of the cruise card holder so I can present it for gangway scanning without showing the card color.

The main benefit I use is the free laundry which saves me about $100 a cruise. It's handy to have a shorter line at the front desk, but excepting the first few and last few days, the regular line is just as fast. If I'm lucky, I remember the nightly elite longe two or three times per cruise, but I'm usually too full from afternoon tea to attend.

My one pet peeve with fellow elites is that some of them think that the priority tender embarkation applies to shoreside as well and push through the lines of folks waiting to re board the ship. As a guy who cannot stand for very long, I've often sat on a rock, a wall or the ground near the tender site on shore waiting up to an hour and a half for the line up to trickle down enough so that I can at least move up to the section of the line that has seats. It annoys me to see elites pushing their way ahead flashing their black card. When I've encountered such in line and pointed out that the tender benefit is only ship to shore, I've been contradicted, cursed and ignored. Ah, well, bless their little black hearted souls.

I think it's wrong to assume that anyone who wear his/her card on a lanyard is trying to flaunt elite status. Many people just wear them for convenience, so they don't have to carry their purse or wallet around. I am joined at the hip to my purse, so I keep mine in there, but many want to be free on a cruise. Why can't everyone just enjoy their cruise, whatever color they are, and not concern themselves with others?!

I just don't get all the fuss.

I don't cruise for status, I cruise because I enjoy cruising.

I do think it's wrong to promise if you cruise 6 cruises you get free laundry (or whatever) and then change it. But I bet the terms provide for them to change the rules whenever they like.

All those who think eltes or whatever wear a lanyard to show off ther status two questions:

1. Do you thnk many newbies have any idea what card colours mean, I know I was on about cruise 4 before I found out, I thought it was cabin type or something.

2. Do you think newbies wear a lanyard to show off that they are virgins at cruising?

Just so judgmental.

I just don't get all the fuss.

I don't cruise for status, I cruise because I enjoy cruising.

I do think it's wrong to promise if you cruise 6 cruises you get free laundry (or whatever) and then change it. But I bet the terms provide for them to change the rules whenever they like.

Six cruises does not get you free laundry. :) If (or when) they change things, there would probably be a grace period to initiate the changes. That's what has been done on some other lines.

I would not be surprised if Princess followed other cruise lines and based their loyalty levels solely on days at sea with bonus points for singles in a cabin (they pay up to 2x of solo cabin) and suites ($$$). The loyalty program is designed to encourage pax to keep coming back with certain perks for loyalty. Princess current program is a bit generous in that they base it on days at sea OR number of cruises. It is up to Princess how they want to do it.

I keep my sea card in my pocket except when I need to use it. I could care less whether a pax is on his first cruise or 100th cruise on Princess. Now I just have to remember to not buy a refrigerator magnet and put it in the same pocket as my sea pass!

Six cruises does not get you free laundry. :) .

Actually it can.

A friend of mine hit elite after cruise number 2 with Prncess.

1. was an around the world 105 nights

2. was a 70+ night Circle Pacific

I skipped Ruby totally: cruise 1 was 8 nights, 2 was 13 nights 3 was 35 nights

If (or when) they change things, there would probably be a grace period to initiate the changes. That's what has been done on some other lines

I hope so.

To be honest I have to look up what's what because I really pay no attention to it. Never even sure what level I am without looking

I would not be surprised if Princess followed other cruise lines and based their loyalty levels solely on days at sea with bonus points for singles in a cabin (they pay up to 2x of solo cabin) and suites ($$$). The loyalty program is designed to encourage pax to keep coming back with certain perks for loyalty. Princess current program is a bit generous in that they base it on days at sea OR number of cruises.

It is up to Princess how they want to do it.

Ain't that the truth.

I keep my sea card in my pocket except when I need to use it.

I do the same DW wears a lanyard because she usually doesn't have a pocket has done since her first cruise so not sure how she can be accused of showing off.

I could care less whether a pax is on his first cruise or 100th cruise on Princess.

And love meeting the Blue cards and observing the wonder and love chatting with the elite and hearing of their adventures. [Well most in all categories there are some I'd rather avoid].

Now I just have to remember to not buy a refrigerator magnet and put it in the same pocket as my sea pass!

I had the problem with a camera, I didn't realise that it had a built in speaker and it just kept wiping my card.

Well, to get the thread back on topic...I made cruise "bracelets" for my whole family, DH included. His is made of the small shells that look "manly" while mine and my daughters are made with our own favorite polished stones/beads. When worn, they look just like a bracelet, but hanging from the bracelet is a 4" inch "extension piece" with a lanyard clip on the end. We attach the card there, and it is the perfect length to be able to hold the card in the palm of your hand while you walk, perfect for accessing your door, showing to have it scanned, perfect size for using in the slot machines since it doesn't hang down over the buttons, and when eating, we just put the card face down on the table with the beads/rocks on top of them.

I think Princess should leave the loyalty tiers just the way they are.

It's a package that draws people to the line with Internet minutes after five cruises (or credits) and mini-bar and laundry services after 15 credits. There's already a benefit to going beyond Elite; it's the additional OBC for cruise credits beyond 20.

Jim

I think they should have a system where every dollar spent for your cruise and while on board cruising gives you so many points. Each level is based on those points. The more you spend the more princess makes so why not reward people for it. Just like a points card.

It seems the fairest way to me. It will never happen, but I can see them changing to the amount of days cruised rather then the system they have now.

I'm not a fan of this. I like to cruise, but I don't like to gamble, drink, or spend additional money in nearly all the other ways that many folks do. A system like this would essentially shut people like me out of any kind of loyalty rewards. Letting people pretty much buy their way into top tier doesn't seem all that fair to me. "Fair" to them, but not so "fair" to me. I'm not sure loyalty programs have anything to do with "fairness."

Hi Elite Benefits

Laundry DW, reacts to chemicals, Have lost count of things that have been boiled to death, even the pressing has holed a few things, mini bar is ok but changed for coffee or soft drinks, internet is ok when working, the only thing that l would miss is elite check in.

Yours Shogun

Hi Elite Benefits

Laundry DW, reacts to chemicals, Have lost count of things that have been boiled to death, even the pressing has holed a few things, mini bar is ok but changed for coffee or soft drinks, internet is ok when working, the only thing that l would miss is elite check in.

Yours Shogun

Probably the only one DH would miss is the mini bar and me - maybe the minutes. Send very little to the laundry due to tiny holes, fading and stretching of clothes.