Help! I need opinions!

SubbyWife

Hubs and I are wanting to go on our first cruise next April. He has left everything up to me to decide and I can't! Lol. I'm stuck between wanting to go on the Ovation next April 17th for it's European cruise or on a Carribean cruise. Here's why I'm stuck and I'd like to know what y'all would choose:

We would both love to go to Europe and the thought of being able to do it on a cruise would be awesome. I really, really, really, want to go visit Normandy. I think it would just be such a profound, amazing experience. Hubs feels the same. My hang ups with the Ovation cruise next April are that

1) it's out of the country and we have two kids that we would be leaving in the states and that just makes me a paranoid Mama. (Irrational, maybe, but I can't help it, lol)

2) Hubs is terrified of flying, which we'd obviously have to do. He said he's more than willing to fly if we go on that cruise, but I know I will have to deal with his fear the whole time and although I love my husband more than anything, he can be the biggest baby sometimes and this is supposed to be a fun vacation. Lol.

3) The quantum class seems to get such mixed reviews and with the Ovation it would be the 1st or 2nd sailing. That worries me.

Otherwise, we could easily go on a Caribbean cruise, I've been leaning towards the Freedom or Navigator. They would cost us less overall, because we could drive to the port easily. Which also means I feel more comfortable spending money on either a better cabin or a beverage plan, excursions, etc.

Hubs is being absolutely no help and leaving it all up to me to decide. I can't for the life of me figure out which is better or what I'd rather do. So, what would y'all do?

I will tell you this much, I'd never go on a sailing of any "new" ship no matter what line. Let them work out the kinks over 6 months.

If you're unsure about the whole thing and unsure about the travel (flying, being too far from family, etc) then save money and take a Caribbean cruise. It's a great "entry" into cruising.

I will tell you this much, I'd never go on a sailing of any "new" ship no matter what line. Let them work out the kinks over 6 months.

If you're unsure about the whole thing and unsure about the travel (flying, being too far from family, etc) then save money and take a Caribbean cruise. It's a great "entry" into cruising.

Well said on both counts. LIKE.:)

For all it is worth. It is your FIRST cruise. You should enjoy the cruise and not be worried about the kids, not be worried about flying, or anything else. Save those for later when the kids are older and you are both a bit more seasoned,

Take a cruise with as many port calls as possible and either Freedom Class ship or Voyager Class is fine since they are larger ships to give you more room. You can go to smaller ships later if cruising is for you or even Oasis class.

7 nite western is a nice trip and usually calm and relaxing. I am not sure what you like to do so you must choose that yourself as well as everything else. Freedom is a nice ship with very friendly staff. You also can call home from San Juan or St Thomas on most cell phone plans but check yours first.

What ever you decide enjoy your cruise and try not to do everything all at once. Relax and have fun.

I love to give opinions. Just ask my husband. Lol

We love the Freedom and the Caribbean . I almost guarantee it won't be your last cruise.

So save Europe for later if that makes you more comfortable.

Get the first cruise under your belt than decide about Europe.

I recommend a western caribbean itinerary on Freedom. When you are worried about things, take smaller steps. A western would certainly be less of a challenge, a smaller step, than going to Europe.

Take your husband on the western and if he likes it, it will be easier to get him on a plane to Europe. BTW, I have the same problem. Wife doesn't even want to fly inside the states let alone an eight hour flight to Europe.

A western will be significantly cheaper for any give cabin category than a European once you factor in airfare. It will also take less time. You will have more money to spend on the cruise.

Different people have different opinions, but we prefer the western over the eastern. Some say the shopping is better on the eastern but how many t-shirts are you going to buy? Others say the western is more scenic.

Save the European until you're a bit more seasoned and have fewer worries about the kids.

Small steps. And, remember, this isn't an either/or decision. You can do the caribbean this time and the european later.

For you first cruise I would do Caribbean - the flying, time change/jet lag, different languages - would be just too much for your first cruise. I don't think you would get a chance to see what it is really like and if you like it.

We are going on our first European cruise next year - it will be our 12th cruise. We are taking our kids and celebrating our oldest daughter's hs graduation. Trip in lieu of party :D

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

We have done both Eastern and Western Caribbean several times and have sailed on Freedom twice. We love Freedom and, living near Orlando, makes it our "home ship" right now. You really need to experience both the Eastern and Western itineraries so my recommendation would be to choose whichever works with the dates you want to travel. We prefer the Western itinerary as there are usually 4 stops as opposed to 3 on the Eastern. The Eastern itinerary usually also includes Nassau which we have been to on many, many cruises. If you have never been however, the Eastern itinerary visits great locations as well.

Let us know what you decide.

My opinion is if both you and your husband are really interested in Normandy that you should NOT do it as part of a cruise. My DH is a military history buff and we did a river cruise in France that included a day in Normandy. It's SO not enough. Well, maybe if your interest is just seeing the American Cemetary and a short stop at the American beaches.

We did the one day that the cruise offered but had planned ahead to drive back to the Normandy area that next week. We hired a professional guide (Stuart Robertson) for 2 full days and it was completely awesome. But even then we didn't see everything. We are going back this coming May and have hired Stuart again for 3 days.

Take the Carribean cruise (awesome), but do Paris and Normandy as a land vacation. The French countryside is incredibly easy to drive and so worth more than the 2 days a cruise gives.

My opinion is if both you and your husband are really interested in Normandy that you should NOT do it as part of a cruise.

Take the Carribean cruise (awesome), but do Paris and Normandy as a land vacation. The French countryside is incredibly easy to drive and so worth more than the 2 days a cruise gives.

The Normandy beaches are worth a couple of days visit - awesome and deeply moving. You've got to see the towering cliffs to understand the difficulty facing the Allied troops when landing there.

How about this crazy idea - do the Navigator Transatlantic that stops in LeHavre? You'll only have to fly on the way back and won't have jet lag. If you really wanted to you could disembark at LeHavre, spend a couple of days in Normandy and fly back from Paris. Otherwise, I go with the consensus so far, Freedom from PC, which is a relatively short drive away.

I would never cruise on a brand new ship, I would rather wait a few months to get the kinks out.

But more importantly, you don't even know if you like cruising. I would book a short cruise to see if you really like it first. Our first cruise was a 4 day and we knew we loved it. But not everyone does.

Wow... that thread title is gonna get some interesting replies...

Hehe, that was the point. I have no cruise experience and my husband has a ton....if you count the many, many underways and deployments he's been on because he's a submariner. But then again, not quite the same as a cruise ship, lol. :D

How about this crazy idea - do the Navigator Transatlantic that stops in LeHavre? You'll only have to fly on the way back and won't have jet lag. If you really wanted to you could disembark at LeHavre, spend a couple of days in Normandy and fly back from Paris. Otherwise, I go with the consensus so far, Freedom from PC, which is a relatively short drive away.

I wish I could do that, as it sounds like a ton of fun. But we don't have quite that much time for hubs to take the amount of leave required for that.

Since this will be your first, I agree with others, start closer to home and do an Eastern or Southern. Do a 7 to 10 day to get a feel and see if you enjoy cruising. Once you start you may not stop.:) Compare itineraries and cost. i also like to compare the times we will be in port. A Freedom or Voyager Class will be excellent choices.

My opinion is if both you and your husband are really interested in Normandy that you should NOT do it as part of a cruise. My DH is a military history buff and we did a river cruise in France that included a day in Normandy. It's SO not enough. Well, maybe if your interest is just seeing the American Cemetary and a short stop at the American beaches.

We did the one day that the cruise offered but had planned ahead to drive back to the Normandy area that next week. We hired a professional guide (Stuart Robertson) for 2 full days and it was completely awesome. But even then we didn't see everything. We are going back this coming May and have hired Stuart again for 3 days.

Thank you for your experience, it's really helpful. Honestly, getting to experience Normandy is the ONLY reason either of us would consider the Ovation sailings in April. It's one of my bucket list things to do. The rest of the ports I could take or leave, they're not important to me that much.

The military and it's history is such a part of my life, between my husband's current service, his brother, and both of my grandfathers, I just love experiencing historic things like that.

I went to Hawaii with my Navy veteran grandfather and we went to Pearl Harbor. Getting to experience that with him was amazing, and I will never forget it. We were actually out on the Arizona Memorial when the Nimitz pulled into Pearl Harbor. It was such a neat thing to be able to experience, standing on the memorial while the carrier was pulling in and seeing all of the sailors man the rails. It means more to me now as a Navy wife than it did then, at 18, but still profound.

Hi Fellow South Carolinian! :)

While it would probably be best for your first cruise to take a Caribbean cruise out of Florida so you could DRIVE to your ship, you seem to REALLY want to go to Normandy.

At least your DH isn't so terrified of flying that he will not agreed to go. Sounds like it's someplace he really wants to go as well ... so go for it!

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers