Live - Jewel of the Seas 26 Sept - 10 Oct 2015 Bill & Marie's 1st B2B

PCWalton1

Bill, you mentioned tender tickets for Santa Barbara, does everyone need them? Our private tour doesn't start until 11:30. Would like to be off before then, but don't need to be one of the first. Who needs them and where do you get them??

Thanks again for this live report. Makes it all the more real for us as we know we will be doing this next week :D

You should look to get tender tickets even for the later times. Tendering was at times a real pain yesterday.

First the ship arrived at 7 am but they did not start giving out tender tickets until 8:30. We left at 9:15 on boat #6 and got ashore rather quickly.

But after that they began having troubles with the boats. #7 made it out but following that they shut down for around an hour as they had boat problems. They got them running again but for the rest of the day they had issues. We were told on the pier it was due to fuel contamination.

You should look to get tender tickets even for the later times. Tendering was at times a real pain yesterday.

First the ship arrived at 7 am but they did not start giving out tender tickets until 8:30. We left at 9:15 on boat #6 and got ashore rather quickly.

But after that they began having troubles with the boats. #7 made it out but following that they shut down for around an hour as they had boat problems. They got them running again but for the rest of the day they had issues. We were told on the pier it was due to fuel contamination.

We had tender issues on the Jewel last week too. Tender boat #10 broke down (wonder if it was the same issue) and that caused delays since that left only 3 tenders, instead of 4.

Akcruz, I would give yourself plenty of time to get off. Last week, they announced around 10:30 that tender tickets were no longer needed and there was no line. We went down to get off and the line went from deck two, up the stairs, though the elevator lobby and into the cabin corridor. It was almost an hour before we got off the tender. We were on tender #10 going ashore so it was before it broke down so that wasn't the issue for the delay.

Thanks, something I hadn't thought about before your posts, will add it my list of to dos for the cruise. Hopefully the tendering will go smoother next week!

Bill, Thank you for the report so far! It looks like a wonderful day in Santa Barbara.

I have couple of questions for you...

1. For tendering as a group - what process did you use? Was one person able to get tender tickets for the whole group so you could stay together?

2. Who was your tour company in Santa Barbara?

3. Who is the Loyalty Ambassador onboard?

Thank you and have a great time!:cool:

1. Yes. No problems with that.

2. EOS Tours. Contact person: Greg.

3. Leslie Morales Gudiel.

Edited by Merion_Mom

We had tender issues on the Jewel last week too. Tender boat #10 broke down (wonder if it was the same issue) and that caused delays since that left only 3 tenders, instead of 4.

Akcruz, I would give yourself plenty of time to get off. Last week, they announced around 10:30 that tender tickets were no longer needed and there was no line. We went down to get off and the line went from deck two, up the stairs, though the elevator lobby and into the cabin corridor. It was almost an hour before we got off the tender. We were on tender #10 going ashore so it was before it broke down so that wasn't the issue for the delay.

:( thanks, will plan to get off early. Was hoping the issues were only due to this being the first sailing of this itinerary, guess not.

:( thanks, will plan to get off early. Was hoping the issues were only due to this being the first sailing of this itinerary, guess not.

Travelgoddess had posted they are using 4 tenders and also a large boat so it looks like they have made adjustments from last week as we did not have the boat helping. Our sailing was the repositioning which has Monterey, Santa Barbara and San Francisco in common with your itinerary. Tendering in Monterey was crazy at the end of the day with the last tender coming back almost an hour and a half late. Not sure if it was due to late excursions or a huge line but we left very late.

Hope you don't mind me chiming in, Bill. Hope you have great weather and calm seas.:)

Yes, plan to get off early. We were also on the Sept.18 sailing. In Monterey, we were off the ship and on our way to the rental car agency by 8:30. We also got off the ship quickly in Santa Barbara. Our wait for a tender to return to the ship wasn't too bad, but we headed back to the ship mid-afternoon rather than during the end of the day rush. I guess that we were lucky.

Travelgoddess had posted they are using 4 tenders and also a large boat so it looks like they have made adjustments from last week as we did not have the boat helping. Our sailing was the repositioning which has Monterey, Santa Barbara and San Francisco in common with your itinerary. Tendering in Monterey was crazy at the end of the day with the last tender coming back almost an hour and a half late. Not sure if it was due to late excursions or a huge line but we left very late.

Hope you don't mind me chiming in, Bill. Hope you have great weather and calm seas.:)

At Monterey, there were excursions that returned late. Was watching on the Portola Hotel webcam as groups of people were 'running' for the ship.

1. Yes. No problems with that.

2. EOS Tours. Contact person: Greg.

3. Leslie Morales Gudiel.

Thank you! I am bookmarking the tour company. We had a lovely lady as LA on the Jewel in 2014. I think her name was Inge? I was hoping to see her again.

I am the person designated to get tender tickets for Cabo in two weeks for a group of 12. I am glad that went smoothly.:)

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Last night I got a more complete story on the tender issues. Bill was correct, one of the 4 tenders did have problems and was taken out of service. But as I understand it, 3 out of the 4 shoreside tenders that were supposed to tender everyone yesterday were a no show. One of them continued to assist the ships' tenders, but it was a slow process, as has been mentioned. The last tender was supposed to be at 4pm, but we saw tenders returning as late as 5:30.

The pervasive WIFI has been working very well for us -- I am getting a signal everywhere on the ship that I've tried, and IMO, it is faster than before. No complaints here. :)

The pervasive WIFI has been working very well for us -- I am getting a signal everywhere on the ship that I've tried, and IMO, it is faster than before. No complaints here. :)

Yes, the wifi seems to be working everywhere. Give that team stringing the cables a bonus. :D

I know the schedule says 2 PM....but do you know what time you are arriving in SF? :)

We are still scheduled to be arriving at 2 pm with clearance to leave the ship at 2:30. Looks to be grey like it was back in May. Hopefully one of these trips we will get sunny skies. It's better than raining. :)

21604471169_279ced3aa3_b.jpg

Thank you for doing this. I am anxiously awaiting your feedback on the night tour of Alcatraz. We'll be joining you onboard on Oct 3rd and we have a night tour booked for the 5th.

I will admit I am disappointed to see who the cruise director is. I normally don't care who is running the show, but I remember his wife and him from years ago and they were not my cup of tea. I actually got annoyed with how they present themselves. Oh well, I'm onboard for the itinerary, not the CD!

Agreed. They used to be on the Enchantment out of Baltimore. I always cruised from there because I was only 45 minutes away. They really got old. Not my cup of tea either.

EVERYTHING broke down. It was a CF.