Walkies?

DispatchJess

I know this has been discussed before ad naseum (and I know that the general consensus hasn't been positive) but my husband and I are really wanting to bring walkie talkies on our Carnival Miracle cruise on Nov. 1. We'll have our 11 month with us so this way we can stay in contact without racking up our cell phone bill or worrying about sticky notes and all that. What's the best brand that anyone knows of that they'd recommend? I don't mind used (I'll check Ebay and Craigslist for any good ones that are recommended). We've discussed it and we know that the service isn't the greatest (not looking for Satellite phone type coverage across the ship) but for our needs, this is what will work best for us.

Thank you :)

Much easier to call and leave messages on your cabin phone for the other to call and retrieve. It's foolproof.

Also, don't think of sticky notes as something to "worry about". Leaving notes worked for hundreds of years.

Another good tip is to be where you say you will be. That always helps.

Short answer they just don't work.

They do work. I've had them on many different ships and they have worked without any problems. We aren't loud and/or obnoxious. They are convenient and allow us to move about the ship on our own and do our own thing.

I'm glad we had them on hand when I got lost shopping in Barcelona. I came out of a store and didn't know if I had to go right or left.

We use the Motorola brand that is sold at Costco.

They do work. I've had them on many different ships and they have worked without any problems. We aren't loud and/or obnoxious. They are convenient and allow us to move about the ship on our own and do our own thing.

I'm glad we had them on hand when I got lost shopping in Barcelona. I came out of a store and didn't know if I had to go right or left.

So, let us assume that everyone agrees with you. There would them be over 2000 passengers, each with their walkee talkee, chatting away, having annoying message beeps go off, etc. And you might be trying to relax in a deck chair as these things are going off all around you, static is filling the air, etc. And of course there are the folks that would use them during an indoor show...but we will assume only half the passengers are this rude. So with over 500 folks talking on their walkee talkees during a show do you think some folks might be a little upset?

And by the way, that US walkee talkee (using our CB channels) are illegal throughout Europe (they use different frequencies and have lower power in units meant for Europe). Not only could your radio interfere with other European communications (such as emergency freqs) but you are lucky that you did not get arrested (and have your radio confiscated).

Hank

So, let us assume that everyone agrees with you. There would them be over 2000 passengers, each with their walkee talkee, chatting away, having annoying message beeps go off, etc. And you might be trying to relax in a deck chair as these things are going off all around you, static is filling the air, etc. And of course there are the folks that would use them during an indoor show...but we will assume only half the passengers are this rude. So with over 500 folks talking on their walkee talkees during a show do you think some folks might be a little upset?

And by the way, that US walkee talkee (using our CB channels) are illegal throughout Europe (they use different frequencies and have lower power in units meant for Europe). Not only could your radio interfere with other European communications (such as emergency freqs) but you are lucky that you did not get arrested (and have your radio confiscated). So in effect you were just one more Ugly American.

Hank

Heavens to Betsy, what on earth did people do before walkie talkies and cell phones? There must have been a ton of people wandering around lost without being able to find one another.:D Somehow people managed just fine.;)

Hank, excellent point about using them in Europe, the Caribbean is also problematic.

Edited by iheartbda

I rather doubt this. In dozens of threads on this same topic, so many people have reported that they did not work well or at all that they can't be wrong. Rarely does anyone claim they work. If I were a person making a decision on something, I would believe the vast majority of people who advise one action over the very few who advise the opposite.

Simple physics will dictate that walkies cannot work well on a ship. These devices are "line of sight". They require an uninterrupted path for the radio signal to travel. With all the steel on a ship, that path is blocked everywhere. Signals cannot penetrate steel walls, floors, ceilings, and all the pipes and cables running just behind them.

For the crew to have working radios, they use high powered devices, and repeaters are built into the ship at hundreds of strategic locations to bounce the signals throughout the ship.

A consumer based device has none of these benefits. They cannot possible "work well". Perhaps if both users are on the upper decks they will. But never if they are separated by floors or walls.

Walkie talkies sold in the American and Canadian markets are illegal to use in Europe and in much of the world. The frequencies on our radios conflict with public safety frequencies used in many ports of the world. Anyone using them in Europe is breaking the law and subject to severe fines if caught. Plus, it is just rude and inconsiderate to interfere with local communications even if not caught doing it.

I would never advise people to break the local laws for their own convenience.

http://www.walkie-talkie-radio.co.uk/information-about-walkie-talkie-radios/walkie-talkie-international-issues

Edited by SantaFeFan

I know this has been discussed before ad naseum (and I know that the general consensus hasn't been positive) but my husband and I are really wanting to bring walkie talkies on our Carnival Miracle cruise on Nov. 1. We'll have our 11 month with us so this way we can stay in contact without racking up our cell phone bill or worrying about sticky notes and all that. What's the best brand that anyone knows of that they'd recommend? I don't mind used (I'll check Ebay and Craigslist for any good ones that are recommended). We've discussed it and we know that the service isn't the greatest (not looking for Satellite phone type coverage across the ship) but for our needs, this is what will work best for us.

Thank you :)

I would read reviews on line.

Keith

Sorry OP, but I found your post quite funny. You're traveling with your 11 month old and want to stay in communication? With the 11 month old? That's how your question presents itself. Are you and your husband going to be that far apart all the time that you'll need a walkie talkie? If you're thinking of taking it off the ship, forget that. They're illegal because they use the same frequencies that military and civil government agencies.

Seriously, you'll be hard pressed finding a set that will work the length of the ship. Just too much interference, not only by the superstructure of the ship, but by all the communication devices used by the crew.

But if you insist on thinking one of you will be lost on the ship, please don't use the device in any indoor public areas like lounges, theater or any dining areas.

This thread amazes me, all the person wanted to know is someones experience with walkie-talkies on a cruise ship and the editorial comments flew like bird droppings...

Here's our experience. We've used them for a decade with decent luck. Get the ones with GMRS channels, use on of those and expect a range of several decks or bow to stern if you are on the same deck.

From the Celebration to the Magic and the Freedom of the Seas we had reasonable luck. It's amusing at some that complain about the noise. Please tell me where it's quiet on a mass market cruise ship. Besides the cabin I've found few places on 33 cruise vacations.

They do have a vibrate feature and that works well.

Also, some misconceptions about frequency use and local government interference will be posted here. For the most part that's nonsense. All the Americas and Caribbean countries use the same set aside for GMRS radios. The only country we've ever cruised to that didn't allow them was Canada.

Good luck OP, have a great vacation!

Edited by BallFour4

This thread amazes me, all the person wanted to know is someones experience with walkie-talkies on a cruise ship and the editorial comments flew like bird droppings...

And yours isn't an "editorial comment"? The OP asked a question. It is common practice to answer a question with information, rather than just a "yes" or a "no". That you consider those answers an "editorial" must be your attempt at a sense of humor, because as a statement, it is clearly without a clue of the differences between information and editorials.

Edited by SantaFeFan

And yours isn't an "editorial comment"? The OP asked a question. It is common practice to answer a question with information, rather than just a "yes" or a "no". That you consider those answers an "editorial" must be your attempt at a sense of humor, because as a statement, it is clearly without a clue of the differences between information and editorials.

Let us see, your post to this thread started with "what I have read" That's not personal experience.

Mine was from using them for over a decade on 11 ships. That's personal experience. So that would be a YES.

I am not humored by someone looking for an argument on a topic of which they have zero, that's zero personal experience with what the op is asking.

Have a good day.

Edited by BallFour4

Let us see, your post to this thread started with "what I have read" That's not personal experience.

Mine was from using them for over a decade on 11 ships. That's personal experience. So that would be a YES.

I am not humored by someone looking for an argument on a topic of which they have zero, that's zero personal experience with what the op is asking.

Have a good day.

Hmmm. I don't see anywhere where the poster you are replying to has said what you claim he said.

"I am not humored by someone" who accuse people of things they haven't said. :rolleyes:

And where do you get that he doesn't have first hand experience? It appears to me that the poster is quite knowledgeable about these devices, and could very well be from personal experience.

Your level of assumption making and casting of accusations is deplorable.

How can anyone believe your claims that these devices work when the rest of your posts are full of inaccuracies and false accusations?

Edited by sloopsailor

Have a good day.

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSHKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What!!!!!!!????

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!KKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSKKKKKK!~~!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT!?

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

MOM?

WHO!!!!?????

NO!!!!! SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!?

WHO!!!!!!!!

NO!!! NOT YOU!!!! MOM?

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

GET OFF THIS CHANNEL!!!!!! WE USE!!!!!!!

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! YOU MOVE?

MOM!??? WHER ARE YOU!!!!?

NO!!! ICAN'T HOLLER LOUDER!!!!!!!!!

WHERE!!!!!!!???????

pause

"Right behind you. Turn that thing off before someone kills us."

----------------

Repeat ad nausem.

Have a good day.

Where did I say "what I have read"? I don't appreciate people accusing me of things I have not said or done.

As for "personal experience", try this on for size: I was an Electronics Technician (ET) on USS Assurance (AM-521/MSO-521), an Ability-class minesweeper, from June 1969 to February 1971. So don't even think of debating my experiences with radio communications and steel ships. :mad:

Edited by SantaFeFan

Then you are truly in a minority as every person I've experienced with a walkie talkie was loud enough and chirped the key enough to be disturbing to me with their conversations. You do realize it is an amplified device. But thank you for being the one person who doesn't disturb anybody with them. And as a side note be very careful in ports of call as many of them do not allow walkie talkies to be used there and will confiscate them.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Technology has changed in 45 years

But physics has not. Steel walls, floors and ceilings have always been, and will always be, a barrier to radio signals. Besides, we aren't talking about military or aviation grade radios costing thousands of dollars. We're talking about cheap consumer grade electronics costing about $20 per unit.

Although my tour of duty was decades, what makes you think that I haven't kept up with technology for my own use, or for business purposes? Some of us actually use facts instead of opinions in our arguments.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Then you are truly in a minority as every person I've experienced with a walkie talkie was loud enough and chirped the key enough to be disturbing to me with their conversations. You do realize it is an amplified device. But thank you for being the one person who doesn't disturb anybody with them. And as a side note be very careful in ports of call as many of them do not allow walkie talkies to be used there and will confiscate them.

No no no. Everyone knows that when reception is non-existent that hollering louder will make them work.