Price increase for Drinks mid cruise

Beanb41

the following is an extract from a comment on Facebook about Celebrity increasing the cost of drinks and drink packages part way during a cruise on the Solstice on its way downunder. The costs referred to apparently in US dollars not Aussie dollars and according to additional comments those who had already paid for drinks packages had the increased cost added to their account. If this is correct then it is a significant change in policy for Celebrity.

"so my parents are currently on the solstice, they were in New Zealand today and phoned me, and there are a few annoyed Aussies on board. when the ship left Vancouver with many Aussies on it, the drink prices and drink packages were set at a certain price... then when a whole tonne more Aussies boarded in Hawaii the drink prices and drink packages went up... not very fair they all think, lots of pissed of passengers and bingo prices start at $39.00 per play ( so that is for 3 games only ) or you can pay $49.00 or $59.00, so because it s so expensive no one is playing and it is cancelled all the time.. the group that i know that are on there now said they wont sail celebrity again, it is way to expensive on board, there is no free bottled water as you leave the ship for tours, and they are charging $5.50 per bottle to buy... "

Interested in comments

This is two separate cruises, right? Sounds like Celebrity is switching from drink price + 18% gratuity to gratuity included in the drink price. Only cruisers doing a B2B would notice.

I've sailed with Celebrity 13 times and have never had free bottled water when leaving for an excursion.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

The only free bottled water I have seen is in AQ class and you are free to take that when you go on an excursion. Usually there is a table set up with bottled water for sale by the exit when people are going ashore. Never have seen free water there.

I'm finding it hard to fathom that if someone had an included/pre-paid drink package they would be charged "extra" once onboard.

The drink prices themselves may have changed, but once you have the package - indicated on your SeaPass - they cannot charge you more for your drinks unless you order a drink that is above the included price ceiling. Perhaps this was misinterpreted by someone who had the Classic package?

I'm betting this is just a big misunderstanding of what is happening here. I think a couple of other posters nailed it.

To get a real idea of why maybe the OP can tell us about the tipping practices in that part of the world.

We were on the Equinox last month and they had 3 different Bingo packages starting with 39 to 59 $, the more expensive one with more extra chances to win something.

As we had the premium drink package I cannot comment if the water was charged for other guests or not, but would assume they would.

I'm betting this is just a big misunderstanding of what is happening here. I think a couple of other posters nailed it.

To get a real idea of why maybe the OP can tell us about the tipping practices in that part of the world.

Tipping is not part of the culture downunder at all. As far as cruises go cruise ships that are based out of Australia have an all inclusive price for a cruise and incidentals purchased on board. It probably works out around the same in real terms but there is a distinct aversion to compulsory tipping in both NZ and Australia. We fail to comprehend why someone should be paid "an extra" for doing their basic job. We give tips or gratuities for extra and exceptional service not mundane service. An example is why should we pay a waiter 18% over and above a $9.00 drink just for getting it out of the fridge and putting it on the bar, especially when the wholesale cost of said drink is around a dollar. Why should we pay a porter around $2 to put bags on a cart when that's his job to do just that. I acknowledge why there is a difference in viewpoint and that is because we a pay a basic living wage down under.

I would be happier if all prices were gratuity inclusive and tax inclusive if that is the case and not the plus, plus plus as is in some jurisdictions. This plus plus plus mentality raised its head in this part of the world with the fuel surcharges on planes a few years ago. These surcharges were added to normal airfares, then they added extra taxes for security after 9/11. The world has moved on and strangely enough these surcharges haver been removed despite security being a normal part of airport operations and fuel being at all time lows.

Unfortunately today we see cruise fares being quoted at from $1800 and when one goes through the actual booking with plus,plus,plus added the fare is $3000. A bit of a con or scam really as there is no way an $1800 fare is possible.

Regarding this being two separate cruises I accept that, but Celebrity have never promoted or advised any change in policy. What I do accept is and that wasn't made clear on Facebook is that some may have purchased drinks outside their package allowance and had to pay the full price for said drink or by coming from this part of the world taken prices (which are sometimes expressed ex gratuity) as inclusive of gratuity. It still doesn't account for why a drinks package increase would be on charged to a passenger doing a B2B if they had a package on both segments.

The water issue I think is just a beef. They could have topped up their own water bottle from the ships supply for free anyway

Edited by Beanb41

Here's what happened, a $10 drink became $11.80, because you prefer to have the service built in. So there is no longer an 18% tip on it.

The drink package that was $59 is now $69.62,

The same thing happens each year when the Eclipse sails out of Southhampton.

Nothing to see here, move along, you are getting exactly what you asked for, pricing inclusive of tips.

I can't address drink prices or bingo, but I have never been on a cruise/line where they gave free bottled water for tours. EM

Azamara which is also part of the Royal Carribean group do

However I have not seen the cost of the drinks package change as it has always been sold with the tip included in the $59 or whatever price. That maybe an onboard misunderstanding during repricing

Edited by uktog

There is no free anything. Regardless of whether you pay in your fare, buy a beverage package, or pay by the drink/bottle, you pay for everything. Charging for bottled water is common on Celebrity. If you don't want to pay it, bring your own water container and fill it. Many people do this. It may pay for you to buy a package. Azamara does include the bottled water....and the cruise fare is much higher than Celebrity. Prices can be changed anytime. Suppliers increase prices and that increase gets passed on. I have been on cruises that have increased prices. If you really want bottled water, buy some on land and take it on board.

Here's what happened, a $10 drink became $11.80, because you prefer to have the service built in. So there is no longer an 18% tip on it.

Nothing to see here, move along, you are getting exactly what you asked for, pricing inclusive of tips.

I don't think "pricing inclusive of tips" is what they're asking for. I think most of those complaining of tips not being included want the "pricing inclusive of tips" to be the lower 'pricing without inclusive tips'. IOW, they want the cruise line to pay the tips.

I don't think "pricing inclusive of tips" is what they're asking for. I think most of those complaining of tips not being included want the "pricing inclusive of tips" to be the lower 'pricing without inclusive tips'. IOW, they want the cruise line to pay the tips.

just for info here: highest German court set the rule:

all adverticed pricing for cruises need to include the tip, as basic pricing.

Exept tip is on voluntarily base - but X for shure is not.... at least if you have select dining....

Exept tip is on voluntarily base - but X for shure is not.... at least if you have select dining....

Why is that relevant to my statement: "I don't think "pricing inclusive of tips" is what they're asking for. I think most of those complaining of tips not being included want the "pricing inclusive of tips" to be the lower 'pricing without inclusive tips'. IOW, they want the cruise line to pay the tips."?

Correct. I was on that cruise and thats what happened. If you werent on a package the drinks were expensive, both before and after Hawaii

Correct. I was on that cruise and thats what happened. If you werent on a package the drinks were expensive, both before and after Hawaii

We were also on that cruise. We were surprised (shocked) at the prices of alcohol compared to our last Solstice cruise two and a half years ago. We usually enjoyed a bottle of wine with each dinner, however, this time with the cheapest bottle being over $40, we did not. Looking around Blu many people shared this opinion - the majority of tables were without wine. The drink packages were heavily pushed the first couple of days - we don't drink enough to make these economically viable. Cocktails were also far more expensive than before.

What does a German court have to do with Celebrity and their pricing models? X has always added tips to the price of drinks. Nothing new. It indeed is an issue related to Aussies - Am there now - not tipping and restaurant employees getting higher wages.

For what it is worth an egg McMuffin is about $5.00AU so the tip is certainly already built in!