Tipping for Ferry Operators

SeasideMemories

I have seen many posts related to tipping on board, on excursions, at the pier, cab drivers, etc but have never seen any discussing tipping if you are taking a ferry.

We will be in Martinique next week and will most likely be taking the public ferry across to Pointe de Bout. Looks like it is $10 US or $7 Euro round trip. Will there be an expectation of a tip as well?

Not a big deal either way but are trying to figure out how much actual cash we need for our excursions and in this particular port how many Euros we may need.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I wouldn't give them a dime. It's a public ferry for crying out loud. He is hired to take the ferry from Point A to Point B. Unless he does something much better why would you give him more money. If he sings a song, does a dance number or a magic show, sure. Otherwise, a big no from me. Would you get on a public bus and tip that guy?

Edited by notentirelynormal

Ok, now that I re-read this post I realize I am talking about less than $5.00..lol Trying to get everything squared away before we leave and I think I may be on information overload..lol!

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the silly question! Been a long day! Can't wait to get away :)

Ok, now that I re-read this post I realize I am talking about less than $5.00..lol Trying to get everything squared away before we leave and I think I may be on information overload..lol!

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the silly question! Been a long day! Can't wait to get away :)

It is not a silly question if you were sincerely asking. It is kind of like: have and not need is better than need and not have type of question. I don't always tip on tours either. If the guide is a dud you will get nothing from me. Doing your job is does not mean you should get a tip. I usually travel with family and realized if I gave a $10 tip I looked great but the rest of the family, well they sucked. So I would bring a stack of ones and give one to every one in my group to hand out as we left. Same amount but it looked better LOL.

I used to think I sucked as a tipper. Now I know better and frankly, I'm cheap. My DH even more so and he looks to me for the tips.

NO tip needed for transportation you're paying for, unless it's a taxi. You don't tip the local bus driver, or ferry driver, or train driver or conductor, airplane pilot.....

Tipping has gotten out of hand.

Edited by cb at sea

Better to have and not need is exactly what I was thinking, especially when it comes to exchanging currency. I tend to be guilty of way over planning and when I figured out I was fretting over that little, I had to take a step back and laugh at myself!

Good to know there is no need to do so!

Why tip a taxi driver then, don't quite get that logic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not hard to figure - a tip is meant to recognize a personal service well performed. A public bus, or ferry, which travels a specific route with a stated fare is not a personal service, while a taxi which goes where you tell the driver - possibly even stopping to let you run into a store is.

If you say so, but the exorbitant charges of taxi drivers are added before the taxi moves, leaving the port of Miami the charge was $4.95 before we moved. If a taxi stops to let you run into a store you are charged by the meter , so he gets paid the required amount. I did tip appropriately on recent trip but thought some of it was unnecessary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have seen many posts related to tipping on board, on excursions, at the pier, cab drivers, etc but have never seen any discussing tipping if you are taking a ferry.

We will be in Martinique next week and will most likely be taking the public ferry across to Pointe de Bout. Looks like it is $10 US or $7 Euro round trip. Will there be an expectation of a tip as well?

Not a big deal either way but are trying to figure out how much actual cash we need for our excursions and in this particular port how many Euros we may need.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I would not tip the ferry more than 45 degrees or it might tip over and sink.

Not hard to figure - a tip is meant to recognize a personal service well performed. A public bus, or ferry, which travels a specific route with a stated fare is not a personal service, while a taxi which goes where you tell the driver - possibly even stopping to let you run into a store is.

So if the taxi driver does not drop you at a shop or do anything other than take you from A to B, they do not deserve a tip. Fine by me.

• 4 weeks later...