Which cruise is best?

sdunham10

We will celebrating our 30h anniversary in 2016 and want to go on a very special cruise. This is where I need your expert help. I do not want to return to the Caribbean or Hawaii. Further I am not interested in Mexico or Alaska. What should I try? South Pacific or a river cruise? I really do not know. And, of course, what cruise line? We can go a little fancier as well. We have been on Royal, Carmival, and NCL, and not interested in returning to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

You might try a Western Med or Northern Europe and Baltics....after many trips to the Caribbean, Alaska & Mexico...we found these itineraries to be very special. We've also done an Asian cruise but actually preferred our land only trip there...Lot's of choices and cruiselines to consider...I'm sure you'll narrow these down quickly. Best of luck and congrats.

This is one where I would get help from a Travel Agent.

This way you could explain what you like about cruising and discuss places to possibly visit and they could give you some suggestions. Much easier to do that by phone than on this board.

There are lots of cruising options and lots of cruise lines.

Also is time of year a consideration.

Keith

We will celebrating our 30h anniversary in 2016 and want to go on a very special cruise. This is where I need your expert help. I do not want to return to the Caribbean or Hawaii. Further I am not interested in Mexico or Alaska. What should I try? South Pacific or a river cruise? I really do not know. And, of course, what cruise line? We can go a little fancier as well. We have been on Royal, Carmival, and NCL, and not interested in returning to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Get a good TA to help you sort through this. How about Polynesia? Something like 18 days Valparaiso to Papeete (on Oceania Marina (January 2016)?

Wow! Lots of good thoughts....and so quickly! I guess I wanted to see if someone was super excited about a particular cruise but realize it depends on our interests and other things. Okay, one more question. From your experience, what cruise line would you suggest that is a bit better than the ones I indicated that would be worth the money?

I think I will go to a travel agent to get more info....(needless to say, I am the usual travel agent in the family...getting the best deals....etc.)

Will check back soon.

Thanks again!

It helps to know what you prefer in a cruise line. Some are known for food, some are known for entertainment, some for itineraries, some are all inclusive and some cost more than others. Some do non-structured dining times better than others. Big ship or small ship? As to itinerary - do you want sun and relaxation or to see more historical sites in ports?

Both Venice and the South Pacific are romantic....but it different ways.:)

I think the first question needs to be where do YOU want to go, then on what. There are so many places to go to, but all very different from the next. What are you interests? IE: Old world history of Europe, nature/wilderness, a tropical setting etc etc.

Edited by marco

We didn't get to celebrate our 30th until our 37th but then we did a Viking river cruise, with a few extra days on either side, then a QM2 crossing back to the states ....

Flew to Budapest, spent a few days

River cruise Budapest to Nuremberg ... spent a couple of days

Train to Hamburg ... spent a couple of days

QM2 Hamburg to NYC via Southampton . . .

down side was all the clothes we needed to take to cover the time and Cunard dress requirements.

100_0306_zpsv12efrd5.jpg

IMG_0292_zpsro9owfxf.jpg

qm2%20portrait%202%20cropped_zpsyfzsqe42.jpg

we're already planning our next Viking river trip

Edited by Capt_BJ

My goodness, there is no way we can give you advice. You have essentially opened up much of the world and there is no right or wrong. I think you need to focus on where you really where you and your other half want to visit (we cannot think for you). Once you have a better idea of the geographic area, the amount of time you will have, and the kind of budget you have in mind we could help.

Hank

Wow! Lots of good thoughts....and so quickly! I guess I wanted to see if someone was super excited about a particular cruise but realize it depends on our interests and other things. Okay, one more question. From your experience, what cruise line would you suggest that is a bit better than the ones I indicated that would be worth the money?

I think I will go to a travel agent to get more info....(needless to say, I am the usual travel agent in the family...getting the best deals....etc.)

Will check back soon.

Thanks again!

I would check Azamara, Crystal, Oceania , Celebrity, and Cunard..all upscale..Paul Gaughin is the most famous for the South Pacific, but very $$..also Seabourn is very good, also $$..

Big Al

IMO if you have never been to Europe a Med. cruise would be my first choice. You get to visit many ports and then decide if you would like to go back to your favourite.

We did visited Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Marseilles, Florence, Rome, Dubrovnick, and Venice. Fell in love with Italy and returned the next year for a land tour. I would suggest a September sailing as the weather is still lovely, not as crowded as the summer, and the ship had very few kids.

Good luck making your decision.

I consider the best cruise we have been on so far was a Baltic cruise that was for our 30th anniversary.

St. Petersburg is just a wonderful port with an overnight. Make sure if you do this that you book an excursion with a private company.

Talinn, Estonia is a port you may never have heard of, but is a truly amazing experience. it is as if you were in a medieval village.

Our cruise started and ended in Copenhagen (where we spent a day), and also went to Oslo, Norway, Stocklholm, Sweden, Gdansk, Poland, and Helsinki, Finland.

We were on the Star Princess.

I think you would find a river cruise amazing. Also a med cruise could be fabulous. Viking is a great river cruise as is Uniworld. We did Castles of the Rhine on the Uniworld SS Antoinette. It was from Amsterdam to Basel Switzerland. Really an amazing experience but very different from large cruise ships as all excursions are included as is wine with dinner. However, cost-wise this is a substantially more cost effective way to see Europe. One thing to consider is that river cruise ship cabins are much smaller than ocean cruise ship cabins.

As to a med cruise, I would recommend you choose one that starts in Barcelona as that is a very easy port to cruise out of. For a Med cruise, your real expenses will be your land tours not the cruise and the ship really becomes nothing more than a floating hotel and place to have breakfast and dinner. So it really doesn't matter what cruise line you are on. We have done 3 Med cruises and only gone to 2 shows on the 3 ships as usually we feel too tired to do anything but eat dinner after touring all day. I would look for the cheapest deal and put the majority of my travel budget into tours and stuff I wanted to buy (such as a silk manton from Spain or pottery from Italy.) For a Med cruise you need to fly in at least 24 hours BEFORE your cruise to protect against unplanned travel delays and spend at least one night in a hotel. In Barcelona we like Hotel1898.

Okay....after more research I think I want to go to the South Pacific.....I love the beauty of the water and enjoy water sports immensely. Love to snorkel, SUP, kayak, and so on.

Anyone with experience on these cruises?

Thanks!

Will check back soon.

Thanks again!

Actually now that you've decided on the South Pacific, you might be able to gather some information here on cruise critic. What month were you thinking of going? The only cruise lines doing all year French Polynesia are Paul Gauguin and Windstar. Oceania and some of the others pop in there January through March.

You can go to all the aforementioned cruise lines dedicated boards here on Cruise Critic to get an idea of what each has to offer and which might be the best fit.

Okay....we went a different direction to make it a bit more affordable and more to see.

We are going to (for sure,I promise) to the Mediterranean. I have heard that the western is a bit better...? Thoughts? Cruise lines..Celebrity? Or is it worth it going a step up to Holland line? Best ship in Celebrity? (The TA is leaning toward that one..)

Please give me your thoughts. I do not want to worry about drink packages or gratuities. Want them included.....

Thank again everyone.....I turn to you!

Okay....we went a different direction to make it a bit more affordable and more to see.

We are going to (for sure,I promise) to the Mediterranean. I have heard that the western is a bit better...? Thoughts? Cruise lines..Celebrity? Or is it worth it going a step up to Holland line? Best ship in Celebrity? (The TA is leaning toward that one..)

Please give me your thoughts. I do not want to worry about drink packages or gratuities. Want them included.....

Thank again everyone.....I turn to you!

The Med is a good choice too! It's not all beaches and snorkeling but great ports, with much to see. A Western Med is a great start. Pick an itinerary that starts or ends in a city that you want to spend some time seeing in more depth (Rome?)

Celebrity is a good choice and is on the same tier as HAL. A step up is Oceania. Note, Oceania's prices include airfare and some items (some excursions, all non alcoholic beverages and specialty dining, and in some cases gratuities) not included on the other lines. They also sail many port to port itineraries, giving you the chance to check out two cities in more depth.

I would actually say a Eastern Med is better by far.

More variety than mainly Italian ports and varying countries with less crowds and touristy/beachy stuff.

The best thing to do would be something Grand Med that goes both sides of Italy so you get the best of both. We did this with Celebrity and our US friends like the range of ports. We are doing similar on the Vista.

Celebrity and Princess are the step up from the lines you mentioned then theres the even more luxurious lines although I think a brand new continent will speak for itself. Both lines (and HAL and Cunard) do Grand Med voyages that are 12+ days and would be a good choice.

If you want a Med flavour even on your ship Costa and MSC have some really interesting Med ports not done by the US lines and supposedly have a very European feel and passenger base. Maybe not for everyone but certainly worth a look with the good prices and new ships.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay.....so we finally picked our cruise and now settling on the actual cabin. We are going on a 9 day European cruise so we can add days at each end. We are going on the Celebrity line.

Here is the big question..... Is getting a cabin in the Aqua class or Concierge class worth it? I have read about each but just not sure.

Please help! I want to book this weekend as there are so many deals around.

Thank you!