Cruise Organisation/Planning Advice

DaisyUK

Is there such a thing as an online cruise planner? I am in the midst of planning our 2 next cruises, both of which are longer than any we have taken previously and have just realised that I am going to have to be much more organised in the way I organise our days. Hitherto, I have relied on typing up an itinerary with each day's activities listed but am wondering whether there is a better way.

Like you I am a very serious planner. That being said on our most recent cruise Amsterdam to Barcelona/ Marina I decided that we could "do" Lisbon on our own. We got off the ship without any plan other than a short list of things we hoped to see. Within a few minutes we had hired a tuk tuk and driver for a few hours. He was great! Saw more of the city than we had hoped, he sang fado for us in the Alfama and we spent an additional 3 hours with him. So the moral is, plan yes but don't over do it. Enjoy!

the benefit of longer cruises 21-40 day is the feeling of de-stressing about the world around you. You will no longer feel the anxiety of having to do this or that against a ticking clock. Any bump in the road causes havoc..blame anger that plans your plans could not go and you lost control...

Most if not all of the gizmos, pads,computors and the myriad ofspecial programs are driven not by a need rather they have been cleverly marketed and developed to make you believed you did...

Please hear me, as a 30year cruiser who likes 30 day + cruises, The more you plan the more will fail. When you feel the need to control your trip your in trouble because you can not. Rather, the daily schedule and a general cruise schedule of ports is all you will need. Maybe 2 or 3 special shore trips and a special date for something.. is All the planning that should be done if you want to enjoy your cruise opportunity to escape the stress and problems that we embrace in our daily life. Asimple pocket note book is all you should need... when you think you need more... that a warning sign to slow down. No one is keeping score on you...so don't make rules(plans) that you can judge yourself...

Let each day just happen.. be spontaneous, have no expectations of the day or yourself.

Children are this way..happy and excited to discover each day for what it might hold..Their mentors however,are filled with all manner of trying to plan which is to control the world and people around them !!!

Less is more, I never biring a phone or any gizmo with me.. the ship and her crew take care of the plans and you well your free tto do what the mood and moment might offer.... It is this freedom that makes longer cruise trips so enjoyable....discover and experience what life is

the benefit of longer cruises 21-40 day is the feeling of de-stressing about the world around you. You will no longer feel the anxiety of having to do this or that against a ticking clock. Any bump in the road causes havoc..blame anger that plans your plans could not go and you lost control...

Most if not all of the gizmos, pads,computors and the myriad ofspecial programs are driven not by a need rather they have been cleverly marketed and developed to make you believed you did...

Please hear me, as a 30year cruiser who likes 30 day + cruises, The more you plan the more will fail. When you feel the need to control your trip your in trouble because you can not. Rather, the daily schedule and a general cruise schedule of ports is all you will need. Maybe 2 or 3 special shore trips and a special date for something.. is All the planning that should be done if you want to enjoy your cruise opportunity to escape the stress and problems that we embrace in our daily life. Asimple pocket note book is all you should need... when you think you need more... that a warning sign to slow down. No one is keeping score on you...so don't make rules(plans) that you can judge yourself...

Let each day just happen.. be spontaneous, have no expectations of the day or yourself.

Children are this way..happy and excited to discover each day for what it might hold..Their mentors however,are filled with all manner of trying to plan which is to control the world and people around them !!!

Less is more, I never biring a phone or any gizmo with me.. the ship and her crew take care of the plans and you well your free tto do what the mood and moment might offer.... It is this freedom that makes longer cruise trips so enjoyable....discover and experience what life is

Agree. We too only take trips and cruises of at least 30 days. Over planning such trips can only lead to disappointments. Go with the flow because you'll never see it all and that's fine too!

Thank you for what I suspect is very good advice; I shall take heed! Our definition of a 'longer' cruise is somewhat shorter than yours, at 19 days - but, still, our longest to date. My husband just pointed out to me that the less we do, the more there is left to do next time, which is an interesting angle!:)

Several of the posters above assume that what works for them - no planning, taking it easy, etc, etc - MUST work for everyone else and is the only and correct way to travel and be happy.

Obviously that is not the case. We are all different and many of us are not only happy to plan everything but must plan everything to be happy :D

Vive la différence :)

Edited by Paulchili

Thank you for what I suspect is very good advice; I shall take heed! Our definition of a 'longer' cruise is somewhat shorter than yours, at 19 days - but, still, our longest to date. My husband just pointed out to me that the less we do, the more there is left to do next time, which is an interesting angle!:)

Listen to you not friends who tell you"youhave to do this or that" because they not you... Moreover, no matter what you do there wil lalways be people who will tell you that if you missed this or that you didn't see the real place.

They will always add something more than you did. If you told them you flew to Italy ran into George Cloony, who got you private tour of Rome by the Pope himself.... someone will pipe in...".Oh...no you didnt go to Luigis purple chicken tattoria for bubble gum pasta.. how can you say you really saw Rome. "

if its you..do it for you... people back home a poor reason to do something...

I check the ports & what there is to see/do there then decide whether to DIY or book a private tour or do a ship's tour

Some ports we DIY & I have a list of what I would like to see there ..if I make fine if not I am not fussed

I make a plan of how to get to the place local bus, taxi etc... I have a plan but sometimes do not implement it ;)

I am long past the do & see it all in a day phase of travel

Just enjoy

Lyn

thank you, paul, for nicely expressing what i was going to say.

Coming from SF, you will understand the following: we were in our mid-20s when we made our 1st trip to San Fran and had a wonderful time, having an idea of those places we wanted to see and things we wanted to do.

Imagine our huge disappointment when we realized that we had not seen Muir Woods and we had been so close, but didn't know it. We vowed never again to "wing it."

We are going RTW 16 and have planned and researched a great deal because there is an excellent chance we may never be in many of these ports again.

We don't see this as a trip to relax and take it easy but to see as much and experience as much as we possibly can.

everyone should travel in the way that suits them best and don't let anyone convince you to do otherwise. Have a great time!

I store all my info on pages I print out before leaving, then throw out as we go along. DH has Tripit on his phone to store important travel info.

I read everything I can reg. my itinerary.

I generally know what to expect using google map, street view etc...

I make a 'daily' list for each port (cash needed, entrance fees, transport info, maps, tours)

Book my 'must see' private excursions online -early.

I usually have a 'Plan B' for most ports.

Planning helps makes the best of my time in port. Time=$$

I go with the flow if things don't go as planned.....

I consider all of the above fun and time well spent:)

I also print pages of information for our cruises. I keep a small (1/2") notebook with a section for "Flights", "Hotel", "Excursions" and "Miscellaneous". In the section for excursions, I get information on places to see, restaurants for a local snack or drink, shopping, etc. If a map of the area is available, I print that as well. There are times when we have a ship excursion booked that we end up cancelling once we are onboard because the "do it yourself" options seem better at the time. We also discard pages as we travel so that we go home, it is empty.

Apparently there are plenty of options. While a cruise planner online is fine for some folks, I like my "notes" on paper so I can take them with me when I go off of the ship.

"While a cruise planner online is fine for some folks, I like my "notes" on paper so I can take them with me when I go off of the ship"

we do the same, and have met people who were bummed because they forgot to recharge batteries and their online "notes" for that port were unusable.

There is something to be said for paper!!!

Have to second the vote for paper! While I'll sometimes put a guidebook like Rick Steve's on our Nook for a quick re-read the night before a port stop, I like to have old-fashioned hard copies of confirmation, e-tickets, etc.

Have watched friends/children, who keep all travel info on their PDA/phone, fumble and frantically scroll when a problem arises at hotel or flight check-in Much more effective to have a paper copy at the ready to resolve any dispute.

I love planning and researching new adventures and keep an accordion file for each planned trip with pockets for flights, hotel, cruise, etc...toss in restaurant recommendations, articles on exhibits, special events as I come across anything that might be of interest. When we're ready to depart, we put all the paper notes into manila envelopes, one for each segment of an extended trip. We discard paper as we go, but use the marked envelopes to keep receipts and any business cards or brochures that we want to save.

We also enjoy the unexpected but this system has proved invaluable...sometimes there's a change in port plans and you can just look at your paper notes and find a great "Plan B"!

IMHO, it's important to know your own personal travel style and what makes a trip enjoyable for you.

For me, doing lots of reading and compiling information before we go makes a place more real to me.

A carefully laid out, detailed plan increases my comfort level (and enjoyment)--even though we might flex that plan as we go.

Winging it is no fun for me. I don't want to waste precious vacation time looking for a hotel (did that once, never again) or get to a sight on my list to find out that it's closed when I'm there.

Tripit.com + common sense research and custom xl spreadsheet as backup travel summary on single printed page.

We do something similar. We keep an eye on our Roll Call and Ports on CC for ideas, go to the public library and local book store as well as check Trip Advisor to research what each port has to offer. We make a SpreadSheet in calendar mode outlining each day with a rough idea as to what we will do, wear and budget. When it is all filled in we print a full copy on one page per month and one copy of just the itinerary to post with a magnet on our cabin wall as a daily reminder. This way we can control our budget of what was paid in advance and what we need in daily fees for private guides etc. Sometimes we get colorful and put in color columns. We learned this through the years from dear friends we met on board when they gave us a copy of their format. It was a little cumbersome at first but once organized it provided an easy to look at schedule. You can also put in what you may think you would wear, & which days you have reservations for dinner etc.

Maybe we do it this way because we both were always organized in our work life planning activities for many teachers, staff members, and students. It minimizes uncomfortable surprises but allows for pleasant ones to appear in serendipitous ways.

Edited by BillPizzaiolo
oops

OP-

we try to diy as much as possible because we like the flexibility it gives us.

among the research sources i've used for years:

http://www.frommers.com

http://www.fodors.com

http://www.lonelyplanet.com

http://www.ricksteves.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com

whatever online tourist sources i can find for a particular city.

For instance, I ordered, for $7.00, the Art Deco walk from Napier, NZ. We can diy this walk, not have to go on an O shorex, and contribute $ to the art deco organization!

these sources get me started. I particularly like frommers because it gives a nice intro, and there are often 1 or more "walking tours" that have a map for each walking tour. It describes hotel locations, cafes, shopping, etc.

have fun!

Edited by cbb

Several of the posters above assume that what works for them - no planning, taking it easy, etc, etc - MUST work for everyone else and is the only and correct way to travel and be happy.

Obviously that is not the case. We are all different and many of us are not only happy to plan everything but must plan everything to be happy :D

Vive la différence :)

Exactly :)

We do look at the different ports and see where we need tours. Those are booked early - the rest we will either diy - or play it be ear.

There are some ports where if you want to see things you NEED to either do a private tour or a ship's tour. Just our experience ;)

On our last cruise, I did not plan and book lots of tours

We were overjoyed to not set the alarm clock for o'dark thirty, not eat a quick and early breakfast and not be among the first off the ship

It was a new world for us, and way more relaxing

Our no appointment days rocked!

I guess we do a combination ...

First of all, I always bring along my laptop (which is not a monster) so that I have all my trip info to look at but more so that I can write my trip diary as it happens and also upload photos. I don't try to edit photos on the laptop, just indicate what we saw when.

I print out the basic info about things we want to see/do before leaving.

We usually do a combination of private tours (sometimes I set them up, sometimes I join another person's tour) and wandering around. We do not refuse to do ship's tours!

But I am not an organizer the way my husband was. Unfortunately, once he gave up doing organizing (and he is manic about it) he wanted me to do as he did. Well I don't! On a DIY expedition in a new city my approach is to say "let's turn left and see what we find"....

Somehow we compromise.

For the Oct '16 Sirena BCN-NYC cruise we are going to try out oLife tours for most ports, since we've been there before and prefer to take it easy. In Alicante and Bermuda we will probably do our own thing.

For the April '17 Marina Miami-Lisbon cruise ... well we don't know yet! There are new ports for us, and I suspect that at least in Senegal we will use a ship's tour (unless someone on our Roll Call comes up with a private tour we cannot refuse).

There are no wrong ways to tour the ports ...

On our last cruise, I did not plan and book lots of tours

We were overjoyed to not set the alarm clock for o'dark thirty, not eat a quick and early breakfast and not be among the first off the ship

It was a new world for us, and way more relaxing

Our no appointment days rocked!

I guess it goes to show that you CAN (sometimes) teach an old dog a new trick :D

I am not implying that you are an old dog - just paraphrasing a proverb.

This old dog, I am afraid, is not that gifted :)

Edited by Paulchili

set up for each of our upcoming cruises...I like to book WAYyyy out..and throw articles, tips, suggestions etc. in them as I find them on CC, Trip Advisor or the internet.

For the cruise itself I have a slim 3 ring binder that is divided into sections..cruise documents, airline reservation info, hotels, tour info and port info if no tour planned and CC R/C list. Then a section that has copies of our health insurance cards, passports, credit cards, drivers licenses, phone numbers for friends and medications. This last section remains the same for each cruise unless items need to be updated. DH came up with the idea of the binder and it has become my "bible". To me planning is a great part of the fun...but we also like to "wing" it as well. LuAnn

Is there such a thing as an online cruise planner? I am in the midst of planning our 2 next cruises, both of which are longer than any we have taken previously and have just realised that I am going to have to be much more organised in the way I organise our days. Hitherto, I have relied on typing up an itinerary with each day's activities listed but am wondering whether there is a better way.

I'm a planner and I enjoy that part of traveling almost as much as the travel itself. We are DIY'ers, occasionally booking a private tour or a small group tour. I prefer to research in advance what is available to see and do in a port of call and then let things like weather and information gleaned locally help us to decide what we do once we're off the ship. I have tried doing the go-with-the-flow thing, but I find we waste too much time figuring out what there is to do and sometimes miss things of interest because we didn't know about them in advance.

To answer your specific question about an online cruise planner. Not sure if there is one. Frankly, I haven't really looked for one as I prefer to use the word processing software and/or spreadsheet programs on my computer so I can organize our travel information the way it suits me. I then pdf the file and put it on my iPad for easy reference, printing only vouchers that are required to be turned into tour operators, etc.

I organize my information by date and in the order which I will need it to minimize scrolling for info. For example, on the day of travel to embarkation port: home to airport transfer, flight info, airport to hotel transfer info, hotel reservation info, and so forth. At the end of the day, I make sure I am at the top of the next day's information ... again this helps with minimizing scrolling.

Port information will consist of things like screenshots of maps, information about things to do (copy/paste usually from various internet sites), local transportation and more. If we have a specific plan/place to visit, that information with hours, directions, transport options, etc. will precede general port information.

I've been using this method for planning any and every kind of travel from cruise-only, land-only, and mixed ... and any length of travel (most recently four consecutive months of cruise/land based). It works for us.

we are, as i've stated, on the RTW16 and I've compiled a large 3 ring notebook that is currently at 600+ pages.

As we travel, we will discard those pages no longer needed. Some of our time in some ports will be short so I'm glad I've researched where to go and how to get there.

In other ports, because of safety issues, we are relying on shorex.

I figure there is no wrong way to travel as long as you're enjoying it!