Diamond Lounge Stories

kandj05

I personally know of two occasions where a "non-diamond" individual was allowed in the Diamond Lounge. In both instances the person was staying in the same cabin as a D+. Not a rule, but it does happen. And guess what? The ship didn't sink.

I'm not advocating this issue either way. My feeling is who is or who is not "allowed" in the DL is at the sole discretion of the responsible Concierge.

As for the Concierge Lounge being "overrun by D+," I hope you understand that it takes thousands and thousands of dollars being spent to reach D+. Figure 25 cruises @ $1000 a cruise and you see it will take about $25,000. D+ have every right to enjoy their promised benefits.

Enjoying a promised benefit that everyone has that is in the lounge is different from a feeling and actions of superiority.

Why is how much money one has donated to RC to reach a level important?

Question - and if it's been answered previously, I apologize.

If I am a Diamond, and my travel companion in the same room is Emerald, am I the only one allowed in the lounge, even though we are in the same cabin?

I took my mother on a Celebrity cruise last year, and they allowed her at the "event" even though I was the only person who qualified - so I am not sure if it is the same with Royal.

Thanks.

I personally know of two occasions where a "non-diamond" individual was allowed in the Diamond Lounge. In both instances the person was staying in the same cabin as a D+. Not a rule, but it does happen. And guess what? The ship didn't sink.

I'm not advocating this issue either way. My feeling is who is or who is not "allowed" in the DL is at the sole discretion of the responsible Concierge.

In my one experience NO - and I mean a nasty loud NO from the concierge. Because I heard of so many successfully inviting cabin mates and others to lounges, I decided to ask if my diamond cabin mate (adult daughter) could join me one night in the CL (I am D+) as I had bumped into some cruise buddies who wanted to have a drink together. She was loudly ordered out of the lounge. Place was nearly empty so space was not an issue. This was prior to vouchers but that was also not the issue as she does not drink alcohol.

No problem - We had a nice few evenings in the D lounge. My friends joined us in the D lounge and we had an impromptu cruise buddy reunion.

Celebrity has a different philosophy and not only allows cabin mates in the cocktail hour but also invites them to Elite events.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I've only been in the diamond losing once and did not like it so I don't have any stories to tell.

However, kinda on topic since it's a lounge [emoji1], I was in the suite lounge with a friend on the Oasis. On the first night we noticed an older gentleman sitting alone at the bar. He had his Pinnacle pin on. He was there again the 2nd night. So my friend and I said hi as we sat down. His response was "I'm insert name and I'm gay". He then went on to tell us how many weeks a year he sails on Royal (yawn). That he only goes home to let out his cat.

We thought this was odd response as we did not ask nor were we trying to hook up with him. I'm not a fan of small talk so saying hi was just being friendly because we were sitting down. Needless to say we always kept a seat open between him and us for the rest of the cruise.

Apologies, I was just referring to your original post that I paraphrased, and you seem to have forgotten

Wow, so many assumptions.

I know what I wrote- I wrote that if you asked me if you could sit at the two seats at our 4 seat table, I would say no.

Again, MY reference isn't a packed lounge. So there's plenty of space.

so what is your point?

All of these posts really makes me feel better about not meeting people in the lounge.

Wow, so many assumptions.

I know what I wrote- I wrote that if you asked me if you could sit at the two seats at our 4 seat table, I would say no.

Again, MY reference isn't a packed lounge. So there's plenty of space.

so what is your point?

All of these posts really makes me feel better about not meeting people in the lounge.

Just trying to point out that your original post made no reference to the lounge being empty. Sorry

We don't want to talk to people in the lounge. Is that so hard to understand, and be understanding about?

Just so you know, it is hard for me to understand why two people would be sitting in the lounge next to empty chairs while not wanting to talk to any other people. I often go into the lounge (either DL or CL) alone and see if there is a person or persons who might want to talk with me because I enjoy talking with new people. So, even if the lounge has other empty chairs I may come up to you and ask if I can join you. Just make sure to tell me that you would prefer not and I will understand and move along. Or, do as some do and leave as I come in.

Just so you know, it is hard for me to understand why two people would be sitting in the lounge next to empty chairs while not wanting to talk to any other people. I often go into the lounge (either DL or CL) alone and see if there is a person or persons who might want to talk with me because I enjoy talking with new people. So, even if the lounge has other empty chairs I may come up to you and ask if I can join you. Just make sure to tell me that you would prefer not and I will understand and move along. Or, do as some do and leave as I come in.

Could be a table with a nice view. FWIW, no one has the power to say you can't sit wherever your heart desires. But we are on holiday, so why be obnoxious. We can save that for CC. Cheers

I am only platinum and just started cruising more of late and in suites so I have access to the CL. Our experience on the Oasis CL, it seemed people were a little more standoffish and tended to be in their clique. However, on the Liberty, we met up with several from our roll call (Diamond through Pinnacle).

We met for a cocktail and conversation each night, even had a few others ask to join us. The more the merrier. One of the D+ did illusions, we had a blast. Just an FYI, Liberty had cocktails from 4:30 - 8.

In my limited experience, I think it depends on the cruise (length, time, ports) as to the people utilizing the CL. We never saved chairs and would include anyone.

I am only platinum and just started cruising more of late and in suites so I have access to the CL. Our experience on the Oasis CL, it seemed people were a little more standoffish and tended to be in their clique. However, on the Liberty, we met up with several from our roll call (Diamond through Pinnacle).

We met for a cocktail and conversation each night, even had a few others ask to join us. The more the merrier. One of the D+ did illusions, we had a blast. Just an FYI, Liberty had cocktails from 4:30 - 8.

In my limited experience, I think it depends on the cruise (length, time, ports) as to the people utilizing the CL. We never saved chairs and would include anyone.

Not sure how you met Diamond members inthr CL unless they were also in suites. Maybe they were D+ after all

Well I don't know about others on this site, but we were on the Navigator this past Sept./Oct. and we are only D. Memebers 3rd time on Naviigator but 1st out of TX. And I have to say, it much be a cheep fare fair out of TX for so many Pin. Memebers to be in the D. Club that they find time to spend much of the time with during all hours in the D. Lounge and get their to take all seats. We found this to be the worst D. Lounge ever to find a seat and to find the Pin. members with their name tags on and at all time of the day, they must not have a place back home to knit and crochet that they do it in this lounge all day and every time we stopped.

We've only had one semi bad experience in the DL. We sat down and couldn't get service as it was getting busy, so my husband went up to get us drinks. An extremely snotty woman asked if the chair next to me was taken, I said yes and explained. She proceeded to tell me that I could not hold the chair regardless of the situation. I told her to pound salt and that was the end of the unpleasantness.

Otherwise, great people looking for conversation and a common point of interest. I'm not at all outgoing, but I certainly wouldn't be rude to someone for no good reason.

In the DL, if you are at a table for 4 and there are 2 of you, the other 2 seats are not yours to claim. Anyone can sit there. Same with CL.

We are D+ and dreaded suite dwellers so we work hard at our self hatred in the lounges. ;) We've met nice people, we've met snobs, we've seen really social people and we've seen people who keep to themselves. The only certainty is that BOTH D+ and suite guests fall into all these categories. I have no idea in the CL what kind of room people stay in and don't really care. We do prefer the CL though because the DL is more crowded, louder and has a higher % of cliques - at least that has been our experience.

As for the pins, yep I too have seen some folks who have them on 24/7. It can be charming or it can be obnoxious, depending on attitude and perspective. We bring them and we usually wear them one night - for the sole purpose of teasing our friends about their "lowly" Emerald status. :D There is definitely a dedicated group who MUST wear their pins like a badge of honor. :eek:

We, like you are D+ and travel in suites, ( we really need a word for that, lol) I'm sure at one time we got pins but I don't have a clue where they are. On our recent cruise, there was a large group of pinnacles in the lounge that always wore their pins and basically made us feel like lepers. They were having a great time but were so loud it made it impossible for anybody else in the room to hold a conversation. They were wearing their pins everytime we saw them, but I feel that's their choice, and if it makes them happy, so be it.

We've only had one semi bad experience in the DL. We sat down and couldn't get service as it was getting busy, so my husband went up to get us drinks. An extremely snotty woman asked if the chair next to me was taken, I said yes and explained. She proceeded to tell me that I could not hold the chair regardless of the situation. I told her to pound salt and that was the end of the unpleasantness.

Otherwise, great people looking for conversation and a common point of interest. I'm not at all outgoing, but I certainly wouldn't be rude to someone for no good reason.

Um, yeah, no such rule exists in the DL or CL, although it's common courtesy to not save seats for those that haven't arrived yet if seating is limited. Your situation wasn't even close to being wrong, but she was.

We've had really good experiences in the lounges and a couple of meh ones. We've met some great people. Sometimes there's a large boistrous group that takes over the lounge and the concierge. The worst thing we ever saw was a D+ couple on EX, in particular the man. He would yell across the CL to the bartender or the concierge for drinks, etc. At the suite breakfast in the specialty restaurant, he was loud, obnoxious and would also yell across the room to the waiters. So full of himself and where he'd traveled and his status, etc all of which he talked about loudly. Just over the top egomaniac. I felt so sorry for those that he was so condescending to. Most people just rolled their eyes. This was a member's cruise so he was hardly alone as a D+. It was our first cruise as D and we were in a GS. One of the reasons we said we'd never do a member's cruise again. Most of the suite passengers got lost in the shuffle and were outnumbered by D+ and above.

Edited by BND

We are going on our first "diamond" cruise this weekend. Please don't tell me that we have to wear a pin to the DL. I would think our seapass cards are enough proof, right? I gather we will receive a pin since we just made diamond. I just can't see getting my DH to wear it at any time:)

I don't think you meant to make me giggle with this post, but you did! Thank goodness we only have to show our Seapass card because my DH and I gave our pins back to the stateroom attendant because we never wear them.

If I am a Diamond, and my travel companion in the same room is Emerald, am I the only one allowed in the lounge, even though we are in the same cabin?

For RCCL, rule wise - No.

But your wife or husband and children below 18 automatically inherits your status.

I read there are a few cases that this was not followed, depending on the concierge staff, but so far my experience is your sea pass is being checked manually by the staff.

Tell you what, I'm not going to bend to what other people want to do anymore than you do. Deal?

Which is to say, you can leave people alone, and not expect them to leave.

Funny that you insist on being rude, and then making the people you are rude to bend to you. Not sure how that is a good thing.

(basically, one should be able to see that YOU think people not talking is rude, but I think you trying to talk to me is rude. Goes both ways)

Wow, this room really picked up since this morning! Let me post my original comment a different way.

Please share a memorable moment, or friends you met in the DL or CL.

People's stories will always carry a big dose of perspective.

As evidenced by my point of wanting to be alone- people like me may have stories about an empty lounge dominated by a small, and very loud group of people.

But the others will have stories about these odd loners in lounges that they can't figure out. And may even consider them rude for not talking.

Some new people to the lounge may perceive some kind of bias from members who wear name tags or pins- as they seem to be told to expect that on this board.

Whereas some old timers will tell stories of people who should not be in the lounge.

Yes, there is a difference between the CL and the DL, just due to the nature of the groups allowed. One is certainly filled with cruisers who have been cruising a lot, the other will be at least partially filled with newer people. Nothing wrong with that- it's not as if anyone is going out of their way to inconvenience me.

That's the big thing- seems to me when "offended" people seem to think that the slight is directly against them- when I know very few people who are set on constantly making people mad.