Diamond Lounge Stories

kandj05

We try to sit at a table for 2, just so people don't join us. And if we had a table for 4, we'd not want anyone to join us, too.

Not everyone wants to meet new people, just so you know. Don't judge people if they don't want to get to know you.

I'm not sure why it's so bad that one has to comment that there are people out there who want to stay by themselves. Maybe they just want to be a romantic couple. Maybe they are shy. Maybe you have something on your shirt. Who knows. No reason to think they are bad people.

Not being judgemental, but your situation seems ideal for the drinks loaded on card scenario. It would seem to me now that Royal has done that, the lounges tend to be available for those looking to socialize. YMMV

We were on the Jewel in September and used the DL for the first time. We ran into a couple we'd met on a trans-Atlantic on Legend in 2014 the first night we were in the DL. Needless to say, we met up with them every night before dinner and had a great visit every night. The view was fantastic (the DL was located in The Vortex on Deck 13 forward) and every evening we saw breaching whales or dolphins. We had a good time and definitely recommend it!

Sometimes that is a problem though. The attraction between the couple's is not always at the same level and you feel obligated to continue a forced friendship. :o

You should be judgmental. That couples' attitude is remarkable and I personally wouldn't hesitate to grab available seats.

No one owns seats and in a scarcity situation there is no "saving" seats just because half your party are lazy and slow to get there.

If a seat or a longer I'd available, I'm taking it.

I got the impression they typically were at a table for two. There are plenty set up that way once the big groups start rearranging the furniture

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

We try to sit at a table for 2, just so people don't join us. And if we had a table for 4, we'd not want anyone to join us, too.

Not everyone wants to meet new people, just so you know. Don't judge people if they don't want to get to know you.

I'm not sure why it's so bad that one has to comment that there are people out there who want to stay by themselves. Maybe they just want to be a romantic couple. Maybe they are shy. Maybe you have something on your shirt. Who knows. No reason to think they are bad people.

I'm not judging and I think it is fine if people want to sit alone, sometimes my husband and I prefer to be alone. But it's wrong to keep 4 seats from being used when people are looking for a place to sit.

If you are sitting at a table for 4 and there are no other seats available, then, yes, I think you are wrong to refuse to let someone sit down.

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

We also enjoyed the Diamond Lounge and Nadja on the same cruise as you, but with the over abundance of Diamond and Diamond Plus the lounge was a mess. There were some people showing up at 3:30 for the 4:30 start time and reserving sections for their friends. Normally people wing it and allow anyone coming in to share a table. We chose to sit right outside in the overflow area each evening and either walk back in for a drink or sometimes Nadja would come out with wine refills.

We also make some great friends in the lounge as well, but this time, and I am afraid it will continue like this, the lounge is getting over crowded.

We thought about trying the Concierge Lounge, but never did as the views aren't their and most the time it has a larger percentage of Suite guests who don't really mingle that much.

Funny you should say that. On our NAV cruise the C lounge was overrun by D+ who were the most standoffish bunch I have ever met. The second they found out we were merely in a suite and did have a pin(everyone wore theirs all day every day) we were basically ignored unless we had room at our table. Then they had no problems insinuating themselves

Funny you should say that. On our NAV cruise the C lounge was overrun by D+ who were the most standoffish bunch I have ever met. The second they found out we were merely in a suite and did have a pin(everyone wore theirs all day every day) we were basically ignored unless we had room at our table. Then they had no problems insinuating themselves

I have never, ever experienced that. If anything, without wanting to get into class warfare, it is the Suite people who will often look down on others.

As for the Concierge Lounge being "overrun by D+," I hope you understand that it takes thousands and thousands of dollars being spent to reach D+. Figure 25 cruises @ $1000 a cruise and you see it will take about $25,000. D+ have every right to enjoy their promised benefits.

This is a great thread. My thanks to the OP for starting it. We will be Diamond after our December cruise. We are looking forward to using the DL on the Liberty of the Seas next year since I read it has a beautiful view from the windows in the lounge and also has outdoors area.

Question: Does each ship have a DL with an outdoor area?

No, actually very few ships do.

Some of the Voyager and Freedom class diamond clubs have them, and some don't (Just depends on how it was set up). That is it, everything else is in an enclosed lounge.

Not being judgemental, but your situation seems ideal for the drinks loaded on card scenario. It would seem to me now that Royal has done that, the lounges tend to be available for those looking to socialize. YMMV

No, we would rather be in the lounge.

It's not as if we are taking someone's spot- the only time we've ever really encountered a hugely full DL was on a Diamond's in December cruise. Other than that, arriving after first seating means there's plenty of space, and it's quiet. Much quieter than the rest of the lounges. And the view tends to be better.

While I was not there to verify the bolded statement ( nor could you possibly verify it) I am guessing this is a bit of an exaggeration.

Oddly enough, I think people forget on the Voyager Class when they were new (which were the first to have a Concierge Lounge) the Lounges were made for Suites and they allowed Diamond members (At the time the highest tier and not many of them) to come in and enjoy it as well... I remember being Diamond on the Explorer back in 2006 for my first lounge experience, when Diamonds were still allowed in the Concierge Lounge and there was no Diamond lounge, and the lounge had plenty of seating and not crowded at all.. (Yes, I'm talking about the CL On Deck 9 Midship of Voyager ships).

Over time as the number of Diamond members went up, they of course made Diamond Plus and eventually Pinnacle - things had to change. But enough about that as not to open another can of worms ;)

Either way, this coming from someone who has stayed in a suite once, the Suite guests have every right to be in the Lounge as a Diamond Plus and or Pinnacle member - it is their designated lounge. They do not have access to a Diamond Lounge as well, and they do not have access to the 3 complimentary drinks on their ship card.

I like the Lounge experience because it is a great opportunity to socialize with people, and I have made many many friends that I keep in touch with over the years on cruises. You people really are a lot of fun :D

I also respect that some people do like to have a quiet experience just for themselves, the lounge is also theirs as well. HOWEVER, with how crowded the lounges get at times it would be nice if they would share their empty seats with folks until it empties out. Trust me, if I sense people are trying to have a quiet time, I (As well as most people) would have the common sense to move when other seats become available.

Just my thoughts.

I also just turned Diamond recently, but cruise in Suites mostly so utilize the CL most times so I can't comment about the Diamond Lounge particularly.

Just like the real world there are all different kind of people. We have met people in suites, D+ and Pinnacle. People that were interesting and friendly, people that were rude and obnoxious. It was a mix of Suite, D+ and Pinnacle that were in both groups. You never know what mix you will meet.

Please don't make this fun thread into a suite/diamond war.

While I was not there to verify the bolded statement ( nor could you possibly verify it) I am guessing this is a bit of an exaggeration.

If nothing else, it took longer than I expected for this nicely intentioned thread to turn into an us v. them who has pin and who doesn't thread. Welcome to Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

I'm not judging and I think it is fine if people want to sit alone, sometimes my husband and I prefer to be alone. But it's wrong to keep 4 seats from being used when people are looking for a place to sit.

If you are sitting at a table for 4 and there are no other seats available, then, yes, I think you are wrong to refuse to let someone sit down.

Sherri:)

To me, what was being suggested was that people go up to a couple who is seated at a table for 4 and want to sit with them to talk- not because they are the only two seats in the lounge left.

Here's what you posted:

We've had that happen before, we asked a couple who were sitting with 4 empty seats around a coffee table and were told no, as they had friends coming. Interestingly, we were there for about an hour and no one ever joined them.

Over the years we've met some really nice, fun people in the DL/CL but we've also met a few stinkers, too!

Sherri

Which tells me that there were plenty of seats in the lounge for you to go to, but asked a couple if you could join them. That's not saving 4 seats, or keeping the last two seats in the room. That's butting in on two people.

Those are the things I'm talking about.

There may be reasons why you see that one couple by themselves on the other side of the lounge. Let them be. And there's no reason to give them grief about wanting to be alone.

But also- if we have last two seats, and have no problems with you sitting there, don't be offended that we don't feel like talking to you.

Wait- I take that back. If you feel offended, that's your choice, and you are welcome to do that. It's not intended- just be clear of that.

HOWEVER, with how crowded the lounges get at times it would be nice if they would share their empty seats with folks until it empties out.

The best strategy is to arrive just as early dinner begins. The lounges really empty out then.

The best strategy is to arrive just as early dinner begins. The lounges really empty out then.

+1,000,000.

We've been +D for years now, sailed many times using the lounges, and only twice has the lounge been so full that it overflowed.

Be strategic, and there are no crowds.

I have never, ever experienced that. If anything, without wanting to get into class warfare, it is the Suite people who will often look down on others.

At least I'll have some entertainment to look forward to on my upcoming first visit! :D I have no doubt both of you have seen this kind of behavior, and no doubt others have never seen this. But either way, I'll enjoy my cruise.

The lounges are very nice and relaxing. We tend to go there multiple times a day.

We certainly would never tell someone they couldn't sit in the empty seats next to us.

That being said, we keep to ourselves. There may be a brief, "hi, how are you?" but that is it. We aren't there to socialize with anyone.

We also do not drink, so we have never used it for free alcohol. It's simply a nice area, away from all the mass of people, to relax before and after dinner.

Edited by hazeleyez3

No, we would rather be in the lounge.

It's not as if we are taking someone's spot- the only time we've ever really encountered a hugely full DL was on a Diamond's in December cruise. Other than that, arriving after first seating means there's plenty of space, and it's quiet. Much quieter than the rest of the lounges. And the view tends to be better.

No problem, to each his own. I would reccomend you find a nice two top since you are there early

You are correct, and personally I either do that or arrive early before cocktail service starts. I was just making that comment as a general statement from what I have observed.

However, with MyTime dining taking over more and more parts of the dining room and having varying starting times, the lounge doesn't clear out nearly as much as it used to on some cruises.

At least I'll have some entertainment to look forward to on my upcoming first visit! :D I have no doubt both of you have seen this kind of behavior, and no doubt others have never seen this. But either way, I'll enjoy my cruise.

Bill, you will absolutely enjoy the lounge.

It is also very likely that you will see a lounge where people get along with each other and are helpful to each other. The exceptions that have been mentioned are really few and far between.

Wouldn't really fancy the lounge,is it too quiet as there are a lot of fun people in the other bars around the ship. We always have the drinks package so wouldn't go to the lounge just for free drinks. Might pop in when we qualify

Edited by UK Cruiser2

We are going on our first "diamond" cruise this weekend. Please don't tell me that we have to wear a pin to the DL. I would think our seapass cards are enough proof, right? I gather we will receive a pin since we just made diamond. I just can't see getting my DH to wear it at any time:)

We are going on our first "diamond" cruise this weekend. Please don't tell me that we have to wear a pin to the DL. I would think our seapass cards are enough proof, right? I gather we will receive a pin since we just made diamond. I just can't see getting my DH to wear it at any time:)

No you don't. Totally optional