Diamond Lounge Stories

kandj05

Ive always been the type to go against the majority. Hopefully our long awaited pin will be waiting for us, but ill probably make in an office decoration to remind me why i work 49 weeks a year.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I have never, ever experienced that. If anything, without wanting to get into class warfare, it is the Suite people who will often look down on others.

As for the Concierge Lounge being "overrun by D+," I hope you understand that it takes thousands and thousands of dollars being spent to reach D+. Figure 25 cruises @ $1000 a cruise and you see it will take about $25,000. D+ have every right to enjoy their promised benefits.

and we in suites are paying as much if not more. 5 cruises on Royal in a suite and I have spent the same amount of money. but dollars spent is irrelevant.

someone mentioned people camping out an hour before cocktail hour; saw that, and more. now granted the C lounge on NAV is very small, without a lot of seating( you know it's bad when some one commandeers Ricardo's chair and desk to have their drink and plate of wings.) and it really was so crowded that once in you couldn't get out again.

But I am not exaggerating when I say that when we walked in and looked for seat people went out of their way to AVOID eye contact, and yet when we were lucky enough to snag a couch or on of the larger tables we were lucky if half the time we were asked if we minded that they join us. when seeing these same people out and about, D+pins proudly displayed on their tee shirt, we didn't even get a head nod of 'wassup' as we passed each other in the WJ.

we are on Liberty in December. so time will tell if this is a Galveston issue( lots and I mean LOTS of locals on our cruise) or a D+ attitude in general.

While I was not there to verify the bolded statement ( nor could you possibly verify it) I am guessing this is a bit of an exaggeration.

nope. we are talking tee shirts and shorts in ports with the pins in full view. on more than one person. even saw a fair number on formal night.

We are going on our first "diamond" cruise this weekend. Please don't tell me that we have to wear a pin to the DL. I would think our seapass cards are enough proof, right? I gather we will receive a pin since we just made diamond. I just can't see getting my DH to wear it at any time:)

honestly this was the first time we had ever seen so many people wearing their pins at all. which is why it stuck out so much. hell many people we have met have confessed that not only have they never worn their pin, a few said they never even GOT one and chose to not pursue the matter

And if we had a table for 4, we'd not want anyone to join us, too.

In the DL, if you are at a table for 4 and there are 2 of you, the other 2 seats are not yours to claim. Anyone can sit there. Same with CL.

We are D+ and dreaded suite dwellers so we work hard at our self hatred in the lounges. ;) We've met nice people, we've met snobs, we've seen really social people and we've seen people who keep to themselves. The only certainty is that BOTH D+ and suite guests fall into all these categories. I have no idea in the CL what kind of room people stay in and don't really care. We do prefer the CL though because the DL is more crowded, louder and has a higher % of cliques - at least that has been our experience.

As for the pins, yep I too have seen some folks who have them on 24/7. It can be charming or it can be obnoxious, depending on attitude and perspective. We bring them and we usually wear them one night - for the sole purpose of teasing our friends about their "lowly" Emerald status. :D There is definitely a dedicated group who MUST wear their pins like a badge of honor. :eek:

Edited by wolfganghowell

To me, what was being suggested was that people go up to a couple who is seated at a table for 4 and want to sit with them to talk- not because they are the only two seats in the lounge left.

Here's what you posted:

Which tells me that there were plenty of seats in the lounge for you to go to, but asked a couple if you could join them. That's not saving 4 seats, or keeping the last two seats in the room. That's butting in on two people.

Those are the things I'm talking about.

There may be reasons why you see that one couple by themselves on the other side of the lounge. Let them be. And there's no reason to give them grief about wanting to be alone.

But also- if we have last two seats, and have no problems with you sitting there, don't be offended that we don't feel like talking to you.

Wait- I take that back. If you feel offended, that's your choice, and you are welcome to do that. It's not intended- just be clear of that.

Sorry, I guess my original post was not clear to you, I should have mentioned:

1. They were sitting in the middle of the lounge with their four other seats, so not "off by themselves".

2. The lounge was crowded, there were no other seats available when we walked in, if there had been, I would never have asked if we could sit there. This was before the vouchers came about, if we had had those available, we would have gone to a bar.

3. Other people came in and asked about the saved seats and were told the same thing so I don't think it was me.

4. I would never be offended if you do not want to talk to me, I would be ok with that and might even be relieved! :D

Sherri:)

We are going on our first "diamond" cruise this weekend. Please don't tell me that we have to wear a pin to the DL. I would think our seapass cards are enough proof, right? I gather we will receive a pin since we just made diamond. I just can't see getting my DH to wear it at any time:)

No need to wear a pin. From what I see, most folks in the lounge are NOT wearing a pin.

Some want to wear their loyalty pins and that is fine. Judging by what I see in the DL, most opt not to.

Enjoy

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

No problem, to each his own. I would reccomend you find a nice two top since you are there early

Thank you, but we will stick to our strategy, which works fine. We are not there early- we arrive after the first seating people leave.

But you all seem to miss my point. Many people post that there are people who are standoff-ish, or didn't really want to talk to them, or something like that. As if it was a problem that there are people in the lounges who don't want to interact with other people.

It's not a problem, it's just that some people want to be left alone.

I'm not condoning saving seats. Not sure how that came across- except that people seem to want to find problems.

Complain all you want about the braggers, and boisterous people- leave the quiet people alone.

Thank you, but we will stick to our strategy, which works fine. We are not there early- we arrive after the first seating people leave.

But you all seem to miss my point. Many people post that there are people who are standoff-ish, or didn't really want to talk to them, or something like that. As if it was a problem that there are people in the lounges who don't want to interact with other people.

It's not a problem, it's just that some people want to be left alone.

I'm not condoning saving seats. Not sure how that came across- except that people seem to want to find problems.

Complain all you want about the braggers, and boisterous people- leave the quiet people alone.

Eric, is it, I don't mean to be confrontational, but your original post went something like, "We prefer 2 tops, but if my table happens to be a 4 top, I don't want you sitting there" Based on that, i think it is you that is missing the point. :o

We try to sit at a table for 2, just so people don't join us. And if we had a table for 4, we'd not want anyone to join us, too.

Not everyone wants to meet new people, just so you know. Don't judge people if they don't want to get to know you.

I'm not sure why it's so bad that one has to comment that there are people out there who want to stay by themselves. Maybe they just want to be a romantic couple. Maybe they are shy. Maybe you have something on your shirt. Who knows. No reason to think they are bad people.

If all the seats are taken, I hope you will reconsider your position and allow another couple (or person) to sit at your table or sitting area in the lounge to have a drink and perhaps a snack. You do not need to engage in conversation, just perhaps allow the seating.

I can say that we have been fortunate and others have seen that seating is limited and have offered to have us join them in their seating area or at a table for 4. Sometimes we've engaged in conversation, other times not.

Thank you

M

Had my first cruise as a D 3 weeks ago in Voyager. The DL there is better than CL as the DL is at the observation deck with views while the CL has no windows.

It appears they allow suite guests to the DL as we have only 12 D's on board but the DL has way more than 12 people during cocktail hours. As with no views, the suite guests are all going to the DL instead of their respective CL.

One interesting group I met in the DL are some girls from New Guinea, they always wore the same clothes. On one of the ship's excursions, they all wore neon orange and found some matching neon orange cone hats at the bazaar with some "green" chinese phrases on it. So all of them bought and wore it at one point of our excursion. And they attracted so much attention from the locals as they move through the crowds with matching orange shirts and cone hats...you can actually spot them from the distance due to their bright colors... it was really hilarious!!

My next cruise as a D is with Legend of the Seas 3 days from now.. so will check out its Diamond lounge next!!!!

Edited by roquejo

No, actually very few ships do.

Some of the Voyager and Freedom class diamond clubs have them, and some don't (Just depends on how it was set up). That is it, everything else is in an enclosed lounge.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Had my first cruise as a D 3 weeks ago in Voyager.

It appears they allow suite guests to the DL as we have only 12 D's on board but the DL has way more than 12 people during cocktail hours. As with no views, the suite guests are all going to the DL instead of their respective CL.

My next cruise as a D is with Legend of the Seas 3 days from now.. so will check out its Diamond lounge next!!!!

Were there 12 Ds only or is that the total of D, D+ and PC?

Have a great cruise on Legend

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

a few said they never even GOT one and chose to not pursue the matter

Put me in that list. Just not important to me.

Have always had a good time in the lounges. Was invited in numerous occasions before I was a Diamond, always with blessing of the Concierge. Have met a bunch of nice people and had fun drinking and joking around with them.

Usually people that are outgoing will look over or turn towards you, ask a question or make a bit of small talk or wave. We'll talk to them or match up for some drinks. If people are quietly enjoying themselves we won't barge in.

Question - and if it's been answered previously, I apologize.

If I am a Diamond, and my travel companion in the same room is Emerald, am I the only one allowed in the lounge, even though we are in the same cabin?

I took my mother on a Celebrity cruise last year, and they allowed her at the "event" even though I was the only person who qualified - so I am not sure if it is the same with Royal.

Thanks.

My wife & myself have had nothing but great times in the lounge, we have met so many friends that we still EM & some that we have met on other cruises but 1 stands out, we were on a B2B on the Serenade & met this lovely couple, Mary Ann & Jack ( if your reading this I tried to EM you but came back unavailable) & wouldn't you know it we met them on the Celebrity ship Infinity & just had a great time with them. If your reading this Jack send me your EM.

George & Liz

If I am a Diamond, and my travel companion in the same room is Emerald, am I the only one allowed in the lounge, even though we are in the same cabin?

I took my mother on a Celebrity cruise last year, and they allowed her at the "event" even though I was the only person who qualified - so I am not sure if it is the same with Royal.

Thanks.

That perk is uniquely Celebrity. Generally I would say those that don't qualify are not allowed. That being said, I guess it could depend on how full the venue is. No customers equals no tips. Good thing now is you have vouchers to use in other venues that your companion can go to.

Thanks.

Technically the answer is no, but you could check with the Concierge once onboard. I have read on here that others have been successful.

Eric, is it, I don't mean to be confrontational, but your original post went something like, "We prefer 2 tops, but if my table happens to be a 4 top, I don't want you sitting there" Based on that, i think it is you that is missing the point. :o

And what point would that be?

I have posted that if there were no other places to sit, I'm fine with someone sitting with us. You seem to assume that I'm talking about a full lounge- which I'm not. But I do know that people just want to strike up a conversation, just to meet other people. (it's funny that our experiences in the lounge are with an empty one, and not the full one that is such a common complaint- we are up to almost 30 cruises using a lounge, and one day on one trip + one entire cruse- it was really crowded- other than that- plenty of space)

My point is not to give a hard time to the people who don't want to interact with others. You are just as welcome to go someplace else and talk just like you suggest we do to be by ourselves.

We don't want to talk to people in the lounge. Is that so hard to understand, and be understanding about? And based on others posts, I know we are not the only ones who are like that.

If you are a big group of 8, and we are 2, and nobody else is in the lounge, I'm not going to complain that you are all being really loud.

We go to the lounge as a place to hang out, get enough snacks to not go to dinner, and then head out to shows and events. Not to meet people.

Technically the answer is no, but you could check with the Concierge once onboard. I have read on here that others have been successful.

I meant no, your roommate can NOT go into the lounge with you, but your probably know what I meant- sorry for the confusion;)