Diamond Lounge Stories

kandj05

My DH and I experienced our first cruise hanging out in the Diamond Lounge in September. We met some really Great and FUN people who had us laughing so hard. We were known as the fun group by Nadja on the NOS. I told this group, they made our first DL experience an unmatchable one.

Please share your experiences in the DL or CL.

We've met some really great people in the DL on cruises - and some we then go on to avoid :p

We just got off the Explorer from Barcelona to Dubai and first night got taken in by a group of Aussies, it was party central, we were sorry to get off especially as they were sailing all the way home and will be on there until nearly December. We always like to go in for a drink before food and then back later for a couple and catch up with whoever has gone to the show to see if it's worth going.

Glad to hear the Aussies are still going strong!

We met a few of them in the DL on the Southampton to Barcelona leg on the Explorer. Wonder what state their livers will be in by the time they reach Australia?

Great crowd.Seems ages since we got off in Barcelona can't believe they are still on there for a few more weeks.:)

My DH and I experienced our first cruise hanging out in the Diamond Lounge in September. We met some really Great and FUN people who had us laughing so hard. We were known as the fun group by Nadja on the NOS. I told this group, they made our first DL experience an unmatchable one.

Please share your experiences in the DL or CL.

We also enjoyed the Diamond Lounge and Nadja on the same cruise as you, but with the over abundance of Diamond and Diamond Plus the lounge was a mess. There were some people showing up at 3:30 for the 4:30 start time and reserving sections for their friends. Normally people wing it and allow anyone coming in to share a table. We chose to sit right outside in the overflow area each evening and either walk back in for a drink or sometimes Nadja would come out with wine refills.

We also make some great friends in the lounge as well, but this time, and I am afraid it will continue like this, the lounge is getting over crowded.

We thought about trying the Concierge Lounge, but never did as the views aren't their and most the time it has a larger percentage of Suite guests who don't really mingle that much.

We also enjoyed the Diamond Lounge and Nadja on the same cruise as you, but with the over abundance of Diamond and Diamond Plus the lounge was a mess. There were some people showing up at 3:30 for the 4:30 start time and reserving sections for their friends. Normally people wing it and allow anyone coming in to share a table. We chose to sit right outside in the overflow area each evening and either walk back in for a drink or sometimes Nadja would come out with wine refills.

We also make some great friends in the lounge as well, but this time, and I am afraid it will continue like this, the lounge is getting over crowded.

We thought about trying the Concierge Lounge, but never did as the views aren't their and most the time it has a larger percentage of Suite guests who don't really mingle that much.

We would have loved having you guys join our group! We met so many nice people.

My first time will be next April/May, I'll come back to see who is talking about me :D

Lol. You will have to share your experience. Heck, don't wait until April. Schedule your next cruise for next week! 😆😆

I am happy to read many pleasant experiences. We too have enjoyed meeting other cruisers and have made some nice friends. I have never seen folks "line up" early for the lounge cocktail hours but then again if we visit the lounge ( which is not often) we usually don't visit till after 6 PM .

We did have one interesting experience, where we saw a couple sitting by themselves with several empty seats around them. We walked over and asked to join them ( as all other seating areas were occupied) and we told ,"NO" as they were saving the seats for their friends. I was really surprised. We ask to join others frequently, and have never been told NO.

Regardless, most all other visits have been very pleasant. We have never seen any loud or obnoxious behavior in any DL or LC as is often mentioned on these boards. We've never seen anyone really drunk. Perhaps the servers reduce the alcohol in drinks if a passenger does lots of drinking in the lounge.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Feb. 2016 will be our first cruise Diamond on RCCL on the Serenade. Was wondering what time the lounge is open. We have been cruising X and thought we would give RCCL a try. Hope we aren't dissapointed!

On most ships, it is 5:00 to 8:30 for the nightly cocktail hour.

The lounge itself will be open all day.

I am happy to read many pleasant experiences. We too have enjoyed meeting other cruisers and have made some nice friends. I have never seen folks "line up" early for the lounge cocktail hours but then again if we visit the lounge ( which is not often) we usually don't visit till after 6 PM .

We did have one interesting experience, where we saw a couple sitting by themselves with several empty seats around them. We walked over and asked to join them ( as all other seating areas were occupied) and we told ,"NO" as they were saving the seats for their friends. I was really surprised. We ask to join others frequently, and have never been told NO.

Regardless, most all other visits have been very pleasant. We have never seen any loud or obnoxious behavior in any DL or LC as is often mentioned on these boards. We've never seen anyone really drunk. Perhaps the servers reduce the alcohol in drinks if a passenger does lots of drinking in the lounge.

M

We've had that happen before, we asked a couple who were sitting with 4 empty seats around a coffee table and were told no, as they had friends coming. Interestingly, we were there for about an hour and no one ever joined them. :D

Over the years we've met some really nice, fun people in the DL/CL but we've also met a few stinkers, too!

Sherri:)

Feb. 2016 will be our first cruise Diamond on RCCL on the Serenade. Was wondering what time the lounge is open. We have been cruising X and thought we would give RCCL a try. Hope we aren't dissapointed!

As a reminder and one of the differences with RCCL and Celebrity - The lounge will be open EVERY evening, including the FIRST evening. You will also have your benefits loaded to the sea pass card ( no coupon page) including 3 drinks per person per evening to be used in non restaurant venues during the same time the lounge is open and following the same beverage guidelines.

enjoy

M

As a reminder and one of the differences with RCCL and Celebrity - The lounge will be open EVERY evening, including the FIRST evening. You will also have your benefits loaded to the sea pass card ( no coupon page) including 3 drinks per person per evening to be used in non restaurant venues during the same time the lounge is open and following the same beverage guidelines.

enjoy

M

Seems to me I also remember the cocktail hours being longer on Royal.

M

We've had that happen before, we asked a couple who were sitting with 4 empty seats around a coffee table and were told no, as they had friends coming. Interestingly, we were there for about an hour and no one ever joined them. :D

Over the years we've met some really nice, fun people in the DL/CL but we've also met a few stinkers, too!

Sherri:)

We try to sit at a table for 2, just so people don't join us. And if we had a table for 4, we'd not want anyone to join us, too.

Not everyone wants to meet new people, just so you know. Don't judge people if they don't want to get to know you.

I'm not sure why it's so bad that one has to comment that there are people out there who want to stay by themselves. Maybe they just want to be a romantic couple. Maybe they are shy. Maybe you have something on your shirt. Who knows. No reason to think they are bad people.

Our first time in the diamond lounge was on the Rhapsody, 13 night to Hawaii. We hung out every night with a great group of people lead by Larry and Gillian (Aussies). Those thirteen nights set the bar very high. I have spent much time in the Concierge and Diamond lounges, never equaled that experience. Thanks Aussies.

On most ships, it is 5:00 to 8:30 for the nightly cocktail hour.

The lounge itself will be open all day.

Thanks for the info. We have heard their cocktail hour was longer than X's. Will be interesting to see how it compares to X.

Thanks for the info. We have heard their cocktail hour was longer than X's. Will be interesting to see how it compares to X.

As far as I'm concerned, until one company introduces Captain Morgan to their menu, there's no difference. :D

Edited by Big_G

Our first time in the diamond lounge was on the Rhapsody, 13 night to Hawaii. We hung out every night with a great group of people lead by Larry and Gillian (Aussies). Those thirteen nights set the bar very high. I have spent much time in the Concierge and Diamond lounges, never equaled that experience. Thanks Aussies.

We know Larry and Gillian! We met them on a Legend cruise in 2013. You are right, they are a super fun couple to hang out with. And, btw, they are also great trivia players.

To stay on topic, the lounge experience on Royal Caribbean is what makes cruising fun for us. We love socializing and meeting new friends as we converse about our favorite subject...cruising.

We have found both to be nice. RCCL is slightly longer, appetizers are self serve. Isn't Celebrity 2 hours? The drinks are similar but I seem to recall a bit better selection on Celebrity. RCCL has a listing of available alcohol in the lounge as well as at the ship bars if you decide to use nightly vouchers. We like the longer hours of RCCL as after a long port day, especially on a Med cruise, we often did not get to the Celebrity lounge area in time for a drink.

The RCCL dedicated lounge is open all day with a small continental breakfast ( nothing as nice as the coffee house breakfast on Celebrity,) and no alcohol. There should be self serve specialty coffee machine 24/7. But.... It is often broken or out of grounds or milk.

A concierge will be there at specific posted hours in case you have any reservation needs.

enjoy

M

oh - ps - not about the lounge, but if you booked a balcony cabin or better, make sure you received the RCCL Diamond discount.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

This is a great thread. My thanks to the OP for starting it. We will be Diamond after our December cruise. We are looking forward to using the DL on the Liberty of the Seas next year since I read it has a beautiful view from the windows in the lounge and also has outdoors area.

Question: Does each ship have a DL with an outdoor area?

We were on the Jewel in September and used the DL for the first time. We ran into a couple we'd met on a trans-Atlantic on Legend in 2014 the first night we were in the DL. Needless to say, we met up with them every night before dinner and had a great visit every night. The view was fantastic (the DL was located in The Vortex on Deck 13 forward) and every evening we saw breaching whales or dolphins. We had a good time and definitely recommend it!