Global Entry at FLL Term 2 ??

redrightreturning

Perhaps my post was not clear enough. A couple of comments on a recent thread on this CC Princess site stated that a GLOBAL ENTRY line was in existence at FLL Princess Pier 2 Terminal at Customs and Immigration AT THE PIER last month, NOT THE AIRPORT, which coincided with the arrival of Royal/Regal/Emerald Transatlantic arrivals. I am GE. I know how it works and, yes, it has not been for ships, until now, maybe.

QUESTION IS: Was it a temporary experiment or is it still in operation???

We just disembarked there on Wednesday and there was a Global Entry line. I remember because I remarked to husband that it sure would be nice to be in that almost empty line.

I did see it as well after disembarking my October 11-21st royal princess cruise. I did not see anyone taking advantage of the line but now that I know it is in place I will be applying for it!

Just disembarked the Royal at terminal 2 about 2 hours ago -- the Global Entry lane is well signed (far right lane) and there was a steady flow of users but no waiting at all.

Pam, you must have missed the posts. There has recently been a Global Entry line at Pier 2.
Yes, I missed the posts and went directly to the Global Entry website to check it out. There was nothing there that I could see about cruise ships.

I got TT a couple of years ago and debated whether to get Global Entry instead. Decided not to as I didn't have any international flights returning to the US over the next two years. Still don't. Hopefully, they'll expand to San Pedro and if they do, I'll apply for the Global Entry.

Yes, I missed the posts and went directly to the Global Entry website to check it out. There was nothing there that I could see about cruise ships.

I got TT a couple of years ago and debated whether to get Global Entry instead. Decided not to as I didn't have any international flights returning to the US over the next two years. Still don't. Hopefully, they'll expand to San Pedro and if they do, I'll apply for the Global Entry.

I got Global Entry since it was only $15 more than TSA Pre Chek and includes it. Seemed like a no brainer for the $15 difference. And I do travel international. I was concerned because it required a little more stuff to do to apply but it turned out to be pretty simple.

The web site I beieve does mention ports but not any specifically. Pretty sure having Global Entry at any cruise port is very recent. Last December and May they did not have it at Port Everglades or nor at Bayonne in June. They may be waiting for a more extensive roll out to announce it on their web site. One nice thing abut Cruise Critic is often we find out stuff first from first hand reports.

Edited by Charles4515

Global Entry is just for international flights landing in the US at major US airports, not ships. I keep on double-checking that to see if ships have been included. Since trans-Atlantic cruise passengers go through Immigration and Customs at the pier, Global Entry doesn't apply. :( I just checked the site and didn't see any change.

I've never flown from a foreign country and landed at FLL so I don't know what the scoop is there.

I (and several others) used Global Entry returning on the Royal TA in September. There was a big sign directing us to the correct area and it worked like a charm.

Sorry to contradict you Pam but this is the way it was .

Edited by snowskier

To illustrate the advantages of Global Entry at Fort Lauderdale, I offer this example from our disembarkation from the Emerald on October 17.

Exit Michaelangelo Dining Room - Walk Off Group 2 7:09sm

Arrive United Check-in at FLL - 7:45am

Not too shabby!!

To illustrate the advantages of Global Entry at Fort Lauderdale, I offer this example from our disembarkation from the Emerald on October 17.

Exit Michaelangelo Dining Room - Walk Off Group 2 7:09sm

Arrive United Check-in at FLL - 7:45am

Not too shabby!!

And without Global Entry last January:

40 minutes from walking off the ship to reaching FLL using a cab. This was with a regular disembark group and included locating our luggage at the pier.

This was only four minutes longer than HJH experienced and HJH did not have to locate luggage.

Guys... obviously it's going to vary depending on the time of leaving ship relative to other pax, the number of CBP officers on duty and so forth.

Given a lineup, Global Entry is going to save time, no question. Maybe not a ton, but some.

And size of ship. 1900 pax on Coral/Island vs 3600 pax on Royal/Regal

Okay..... Here's the answer from CBP Port Everglades

Global Entry is here to stay at Port Everglades. The program was expanded this season to include ALL CRUISE TERMINALS at PE. It is not temporary nor experimental.

However, kiosks are not, and will not be installed.

Entry varies from normal GE procedure in that pax MUST fill out the paper declaration form that is included in your on board debarkation packet. On debarkation, GE holders show their GE Card to cruise line personnel ashore in the arrival hall, who in turn will direct pax to the GE line. Was told that you MUST show your GE/Nexus card, but I would think if you insisted you were a participant but did not have the card with you, you would be permitted to proceed. CBP at GE will collect your paper declaration and scan your passport. Away you go!

I asked the question about line jumping. Was assured that if they scanned your passport and you did not have GE/Nexus you would be sent to the back of the long line.

Was also told that this is for Port Everglades only. As far as they knew it was not available at Port of Miami at this time.

Global Entry is here to stay at Port Everglades. The program was expanded this season to include ALL CRUISE TERMINALS at PE. It is not temporary nor experimental.

Entry varies from normal GE procedure in that pax MUST fill out the paper declaration form that is included in your on board debarkation packet. On debarkation, GE holders show their GE Card to cruise line personnel ashore in the arrival hall, who in turn will direct pax to the GE line. Was told that you MUST show your GE/Nexus card, but I would think if you insisted you were a participant but did not have the card with you, you would be permitted to proceed. CBP at GE will collect your paper declaration and scan your passport. Away you go!

I asked the question about line jumping. Was assured that if they scanned your passport and you did not have GE/Nexus you would be sent to the back of the long line.

Was also told that this is for Port Everglades only. As far as they knew it was not available at Port of Miami at this time.

Thank you for getting the answer. I will carry my card this December. Hope they will add other major ports to the program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had my card with me, but I didn't need to show it. In fact, the customs agent simply looked up my passport number on a database.

@chamima. I'm not familiar with Princess procedures for disembarkation. I've never been held up in any sort of upstairs terminal area before being allowed down escalators? I don't know if you're referring to being held up by ship personnel or by customs people? I would assume that your effectiveness in dealing with anyone before you get to actual customs lines would be dependent upon the knowledge of that individual. And I would also assume that you'd need documentation for that type of person, like the GE card itself.

I've just gotten into the habit of carrying my GE card, as well as my passport, whenever I go out of the country.

I do not think this is unique to Princess as it happened to us on a Celebrity Cruise. They told us the customs hall at the bottom of the escalators was "full" and they were holding everyone at the end of the gangway and only sending people down in groups of 20 when Customs was "ready".

I think they were just trying to keep the line from backing up onto the escalator which would have been very dangerous.

Total wait time was almost two hours, all standing. Not fun.

Count me in for getting global entry. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will become permanent.

Thank you for getting the absolute answer from the horse's mouth. Such welcome news!

• 4 months later...

One thing you neglect is they have a line for wheelchairs and give them a priority 1 so it takes the same amount of time. I know, as my wife has a card, I don't, she is in a wheelchair, I'm not. I go through with her and they check my passport and hers also. They didn't seem to care Feb 14 when we went to the Carribean weather or not she had the card. Coming home we were taken through Customs private office as my wife declared some jewelry, US made but purchased aboard. They just wanted to see the paperwork and they have to do it in a private office. There are 2 types of entry, see below. I refuse to pay $100 non refundable for an application.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...ntry/how-apply

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...rt-control-apc

One thing you neglect is they have a line for wheelchairs and give them a priority 1 so it takes the same amount of time. I know, as my wife has a card, I don't, she is in a wheelchair, I'm not. I go through with her and they check my passport and hers also. They didn't seem to care Feb 14 when we went to the Carribean weather or not she had the card. Coming home we were taken through Customs private office as my wife declared some jewelry, US made but purchased aboard. They just wanted to see the paperwork and they have to do it in a private office. There are 2 types of entry, see below. I refuse to pay $100 non refundable for an application.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...ntry/how-apply

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...rt-control-apc

The fee is worth it if you travel overseas by air. Also it includes TSA pre check which ihas a $85 fee so for $15 more you get the whole shebang. Again it depends how much you fly. With all the flights I take every year having TSA Pre Check is worth it. In any case I didn't pay the fee, some credit cards pay the fee as a perk. So since AMEX was paying signing up was a no brainer.

I can attest to the fact that Global Entry saved us hours over the past two months as we did 10 B2Bs on the Emerald Princess. We only went through immigration with the in transits 2 or so times, prefering to get off the ship about 9-10am on our own. Lines were generally backed up to go through immigration, but we were always taken to the front of a separate line behind only other Global Entey people and wheelchair passengers.

Add to that the time saved with TSA pre-check and it is well worth the price paid.

Read recently on another thread that there is now a Global Entry line (and maybe a kiosk?) at Terminal 2 in Lauderdale.

Was this just temporary for the arrival of all the T/A cruises or is this still in existence? I travel internationally for business and GE is the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!

Just off the Regal and did not see this.

Just off the Regal and did not see this.

We are just off the Royal Princess and, because of this board, knew about the Global Entry line.

You had to ask for it, there were no signs, but we've never had such a quick disembarkation!

Read recently on another thread that there is now a Global Entry line (and maybe a kiosk?) at Terminal 2 in Lauderdale.

Was this just temporary for the arrival of all the T/A cruises or is this still in existence? I travel internationally for business and GE is the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!

At the Airport GE is great, as you can get into the pre-cleared line and head on through. Just don't try to show your GE card as ID at the port, it confuses the Agents there greatly. We were detained for almost an hour while trying to clear back to the ship on a past B2B. I thought that the Nexis card would be acceptable, and all they wanted was a passport.

I do hope a separate line is available, at the port, as it will help with our next trip

Edited by Valiamo
I cannot spell