What forms are required to prove Veteran's status?

Fred C

Seems Military Rate on RCI sailings are few and far between .

A better acknowledgement for Military would be what Princess

and Cunard do , no Military rate but a Military OBC available on every sailing .

Plenty of military rates out there. The Jewell for December 3 of the 4 sailings have a military rate. Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Anthem, Freedom, Independence, Liberty, Majesty, Navigator and Vision are all showing at least one sailing in December with a military rate. January is also showing several ships with the rate.

They are there just have to look.

Anthem and Allure have a military rate on at least one sailing each month through March 2016. Did not check further but my guess would that there are plenty more out there.

Edited by looking4info

Plenty of military rates out there. The Jewell for December 3 of the 4 sailings have a military rate. Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Anthem, Freedom, Independence, Liberty, Majesty, Navigator and Vision are all showing at least one sailing in December with a military rate. January is also showing several ships with the rate.

They are there just have to look.

Anthem and Allure have a military rate on at least one sailing each month through March 2016. Did not check further but my guess would that there are plenty more out there.

As a rule whole ships do not have a MD, only certain cats on certain sailings, so one needs to look at all the different classes of cabins. Same for state, senior,etc.

Edited by setsail

As a rule whole ships do not have a MD, only certain cats on certain sailings, so one needs to look at all the different classes of cabins. Same for state, senior,etc.

I am well aware of this. The poster stated the rates were few and far between fact is they are there and as you state you have to take the time to look/research.

Seems Military Rate on RCI sailings are few and far between .

A better acknowledgement for Military would be what Princess

and Cunard do , no Military rate but a Military OBC available on every sailing .

Military rates on RCCL ARE hard to come by. It doesn't seem like "resident rates" for South Carolina come up often either.

I think the way Princess does it seems much better. OBC for military. Instead of being few and far between, they offer an "ongoing" military benefit.

Much nicer.

Still, I haven't sailed on Princess but I have thought about it.

Yes, you can find them if you research. The departure port or the weeks to sail may not be convenient though. We aren't all retired and we don't all have unlimited income to just pick up and go whenever. You do really have to look a LOT if you aren't using a travel agent. Unfortunately, I don't know that a lot of TA's really do look for the best deals anyhow.

Edited by legaljen1969
clarification

Here's what I've been led to believe. If you book on a special deal, you can't use the military status for a discount. Can anyone clarify this for me please?

If by Special Deal you mean a particular special rate (rate code) , Military is not a discount but its own rate (rate code)

You can only book 1 rate code , whatever is best for you .

I received the Military discount but have never had to prove it. I always take a copy of my DD214 for just in case.

Same here.

I rec'd a military discount in July for an oasis sailing and will use it again for a December anthem sailing.

A certified copy of my DD214 will be in my travel documents.

My husband has his veteran status noted on his driver's license. This has worked great for discounts at stores. We haven't tried it for RCI but it's a nice alternative to keeping your DF214 with you.

We each have a tan colored DOD card. We carry them all the time for discounts at stores. We recently bought some new travel luggage and received a very nice 15% discount at a Samsonite store. The link below shows discounts at many, many places for veterans. Check it out:

http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/military-discounts/

Rick and Deirdra

I had to provide proof just once, for a cruise this past Spring (not my only military-discount cruise), and I think I faxed my DD214. It was either that or my retiree ID card (sorry I can't remember fr sure).

Again, that was not the first time I had cruised on military discount, but it was the first time anybody had ever asked for a document. But I believe RCCL did ask once for an extra onboard credit they were offering for military.

[Added]

I had to provide said proof not long after booking... within 3 days? Again my exact recollection fails, but I definitely had to give it up way in advance of cruising.

Same thing on the cruise I have on hold right now with RCCL, a military OBC. So let's see if they'll ask for the same proof again.....

Edited by Moonarino

If by Special Deal you mean a particular special rate (rate code) , Military is not a discount but its own rate (rate code)

You can only book 1 rate code , whatever is best for you .

Thanks so much. Yes, the rate we received was far better than the military discount by far, so I am totally not complaining.