Land & Sea - LIVE from Spain as we sail & compare HAL to Oceania

kazu

Jacqui

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do have a follow-up question re: the O crew's attitude. I don't need a crew that is bubbly & friendly; reserved and subtle is great. But if the attitude you mention in your post equates to them not caring about their customers needs, then I would like you to confirm this. I don't expect perfection, but I would expect them to care about fixing a problem, or meeting a reasonable request. That is one aspect of cruising I look forward to experiencing.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Ann

Ann, some of the crew were fabulous - service wise.

I don't need anyone to be warm and bubbly either - but I do like someone to say they are sorry when you get a cracked cup of coffee (the pic is on my live thread). It took time to get a get a new cup of coffee and he just took the the coffee cup and didn't even say he was sorry about it.

I know LH278 doesn't like me calling some of the crew snooty but that was DH's definition and his best one. OK, if that word is appalling then let's call it uncaring, indiffernet, couldn't give a hoot what your experience was.

the only place that asked how our meal was was Jacques.

that's it. We ate in all specialities, the Grand Dining Room several times, etc.

this cruise might not be typical of O - I don't know - it was the only cruise that we were on.

And unless those that want to comment that they have done 10 cruises and didn't have this experience were on this one, then it is of no help if they weren't on board.

I can honestly tell you I was not the only feeling this way and I have been kind. Just check some of the posts on the Noro thread as well and you will see comments from our roll call there.

DH is fuming, literally and for those that know him he is the most mild mannered non complaining person I know.

When he says he will fill in his own survey (he never does that) you know something is up.

If snooty sounds impolite, then try "above them", "don't care", "walk right by you", etc.

I am sure our cabin number is infamous on that ship and so be it.

I don't need someone gushing all over me, but I do like a dirty plate removed, water refilled, coffee replenished without having to wave frantically.

I also think a waiter should come and ask how the dinner is before an uneaten dinner has sat there for 45 minutes and you finally call for the Maitre D'.

Yup, kazu is really fussy and hard to please:rolleyes:

I am a walking zombie with lack of sleep from flying all night and this morning and getting nowhere. So, I'm sorry if this sounds harsh.

I will do the valuation tomorrow when I have had some sleep.

There is value in O for the right person I think.

It's probably just not us - this was not a cheap cruise - so to expect us to spend that kind of money again in the hopes that it will be improved is a bit ludicruous IMO unless there is some assurance and fixes done.

Tired or not, I stand by my statements and OUR experiences.

WOW

I guess KAZU must have had a whole different crew than what I have experienced on 10 Oceania cruises

There are a few staff that are European & they are not warm & fuzzy by nature ...snooty ???

I have to agree with Lyn. Our O cruise last year was wonderful. Yes, the HAL crew is delightful, I fully agree. We found O great too...never saw snootiness. We felt just about everything was better on O...we never sat 45 minutes, etc...except our last night! I'm really sorry to read about Kazu's bad experience.

With a HAL cruise booked for next summer, I'm looking forward to it!

KAZU I was just saying the Europeans are just different in the way they act than the Indonesian crew

if you felt they were snooty that is your feeling

I saw my room steward twice in the hall on our HAL last month all we got was a hello

The room was made up before noon ONCE on the 7 day cruise other days it was 2-4pm

so no cruise line is perfect

I am sure you are glad to be home after your ordeal with the flights

KAZU I was just saying the Europeans are just different in the way they act than the Indonesian crew

if you felt they were snooty that is your feeling

I saw my room steward twice in the hall on our HAL last month all we got was a hello

The room was made up before noon ONCE on the 7 day cruise other days it was 2-4pm

so no cruise line is perfect

I am sure you are glad to be home after your ordeal with the flights

Oh thanks but since DH comes from a European background and we do Europe a lot, we are quite familiar with Europeans and have excellent service in Europe and especially in Madrid & Bilbao this year. Europeans are not an issue - It was the attitude we saw and endured on the ship from some - not a European attitude per se but an attitude of laissez faire, I am better than this or whatever - I am too tired to get caught up in explanations but it was obvious some had no interest at all in taking care of the passengers - remember I said some, not all, but enough.

I agree - no cruise line is perfect - they all have their ups and downs, but meals are important to me as is service. I worked my way through University serving & know and appreciate good service and reward it appropriately ;)

We are VERY happy to have finally arrived home. LIterally a walking zombie doing laundry and stuff trying to get things done before I bring the terrible trio home ;)

Best I stay off until I get some sleep unless someone has questions.

I have no explanation as to why this cruise was so different to what others have experienced but I do have an idea. I will post when I do my value opinion and O does have value for the right person.

If the service is there as others have reported then it has a lot of value but other than our butler and Jacques and one wine steward in Terrace Grill and one wine steward in Waves, we just did not get the service that O promotes itself for providing.

I will say that I was looking forward to a premier experience. I did not expect a luxury experience but thought it should have good service and with the staff to passenger ratio there was no reason it should not have happened.

Let me just say that a day cruising is still a better day than working and we certainly made the best of it and still had a good time.

Many thanks to all who have been following. I has certainly been a very interesting and expensive experience ;)

Edited by kazu

Oh thanks but since DH comes from a European background and we do Europe a lot, we are quite familiar with Europeans and have excellent service in Europe and especially in Madrid & Bilbao this year. Europeans are not an issue - It was the attitude we saw and endured on the ship from some - not a European attitude per se but an attitude of laissez faire, I am better than this or whatever - I am too tired to get caught up in explanations but it was obvious some had no interest at all in taking care of the passengers - remember I said some, not all, but enough.

I agree - no cruise line is perfect - they all have their ups and downs, but meals are important to me as is service. I worked my way through University serving & know and appreciate good service and reward it appropriately ;)

We are VERY happy to have finally arrived home. LIterally a walking zombie doing laundry and stuff trying to get things done before I bring the terrible trio home ;)

With the number and type of issues you had I think most of us would think twice about sailing the cruise line in question again. One of biggest things to me is overall how the crews/staff address issues. Hope any formal response you get from your written survey comments (assumes you do one or follow-up with Oceania in another way) is appropriate and sufficient. The "trio" will be so happy to see you and Jose and give you a wonderful welcome back.

Ann, some of the crew were fabulous - service wise.

I don't need anyone to be warm and bubbly either - but I do like someone to say they are sorry when you get a cracked cup of coffee (the pic is on my live thread). It took time to get a get a new cup of coffee and he just took the the coffee cup and didn't even say he was sorry about it.

I know LH278 doesn't like me calling some of the crew snooty but that was DH's definition and his best one. OK, if that word is appalling then let's call it uncaring, indiffernet, couldn't give a hoot what your experience was.

the only place that asked how our meal was was Jacques.

that's it. We ate in all specialities, the Grand Dining Room several times, etc.

this cruise might not be typical of O - I don't know - it was the only cruise that we were on.

And unless those that want to comment that they have done 10 cruises and didn't have this experience were on this one, then it is of no help if they weren't on board.

I can honestly tell you I was not the only feeling this way and I have been kind. Just check some of the posts on the Noro thread as well and you will see comments from our roll call there.

DH is fuming, literally and for those that know him he is the most mild mannered non complaining person I know.

When he says he will fill in his own survey (he never does that) you know something is up.

If snooty sounds impolite, then try "above them", "don't care", "walk right by you", etc.

I am sure our cabin number is infamous on that ship and so be it.

I don't need someone gushing all over me, but I do like a dirty plate removed, water refilled, coffee replenished without having to wave frantically.

I also think a waiter should come and ask how the dinner is before an uneaten dinner has sat there for 45 minutes and you finally call for the Maitre D'.

Yup, kazu is really fussy and hard to please:rolleyes:

I am a walking zombie with lack of sleep from flying all night and this morning and getting nowhere. So, I'm sorry if this sounds harsh.

I will do the valuation tomorrow when I have had some sleep.

There is value in O for the right person I think.

It's probably just not us - this was not a cheap cruise - so to expect us to spend that kind of money again in the hopes that it will be improved is a bit ludicruous IMO unless there is some assurance and fixes done.

Tired or not, I stand by my statements and OUR experiences.

Jacqui

Bless you for providing this detail.

I share your expectations. I wonder if the crew was stretched to the limits by the Noro outbreak. Regardless, since this behavior seems to be the exception and not the norm for O, I hope you and Jose receive a more customer-focused response from O. I know I always appreciated my customers who helped me identify service improvement opportunities.

Again thank you for taking the time to answer my question so quickly, in spite of your marathon trip home. Rest well.

Ann

Let me give an example of what I consider an Oceania failure in this regard.

I returned to the ship with some significant bleeding on the back of my hand. I did have a tissue, but wanted to bandage it ASAP.

The gangway was just a few feet away from the Front Desk, so I went there for the bandage; they gave me a hard time about it. First they wanted to send me to the Infirmary to get it (walking is very difficult for me). Then they made me wait until someone was free to go behind the counter and give me the bandage.

There was plenty of attitude to go around, and none of it was the helpful kind.

When a similar thing happens on HAL, they not only jump to get me a bandage, but they make sure I have extra.

Your example and Jacqui's additional info is exactly the info I was hoping for. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Jacqui, your frustrations come through loud and clear in your post #254. It is so not like you to be PO'd with service on a cruise, and knowing your DH, who is one of the most mild-mannered and polite gentlemen I have ever met, I am astonished that he is fuming too! My only hope is that this was a huge anamoly for O, and perhaps the Noro situation just stretched the crew too much and did not allow them to provide the service they normally do.

I thank you again for your reports and thoughts, and with RuthC's input as well, it has pretty much satisfied my curiosity about Oceania.

Edited to add...... yes, it is true that the Eastern European crew members are not usually as warm and smiley as the Indonesian and Filipino crew members, but I had that experience on a HAL ship with a PG server who, once we got to know him, was very friendly. But originally came off as aloof an unhelpful.

Edited by Lizzie68

I greatly appreciate both you, Kazu, and Ruth sharing your "O" comments.

I wasn't especially considering sailing them but had a curiosity. I am no longer the littlest bit interested in "O. Having read both your posts for many years, I value your comments.

Welcome back, Kazu.

Edited by sail7seas

When was your Crystal cruise. About 2-3 years ago they introduced "open dining by reservation" a modified version of flexible dining. Still not true open dining, but I'm quite sure if you missed your time the staff would fit you in. It might or might not make a difference for you but I thought you should be aware of it.

Roy

Hi Roy, I have followed some of your trips, enjoyed your Amazon trip. I know about dinning by reservation however picked first sitting due to the show times, we love going. We really like just going to the buffet some nights. Very simple and fun to try many things. Maybe the new ship will have it open.

Edited by hypercafe

I appreciate your careful analysis and honest reports. I admire your patience since we would never had sat for 45 minutes waiting for a plate to be removed or to be asked if everything is to your satisfaction ( all good servers do return within minutes to ask). After 15 minutes we would have flagged down someone or if that not possible would have just left.

We would not have sat for 45 minutes either.

Kazu,

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I noticed in lots of your comments that you question things like "maybe I'm fussy"....I understand, I think, why you are saying that, trying to make sure that you are objective in your comments. But I dont AT ALL think you are too fussy. I think you are very reasonable and well balanced in what you expected, and in reporting your experience. Although I only recently picked up posting here after a few years break, I lurked pretty regularly and have always valued what you have to say. You and RuthC are among the people whose opinion I place a lot of value on, and I appreciate you taking the time to share it.

Kazu,

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I noticed in lots of your comments that you question things like "maybe I'm fussy"....I understand, I think, why you are saying that, trying to make sure that you are objective in your comments. But I dont AT ALL think you are too fussy. I think you are very reasonable and well balanced in what you expected, and in reporting your experience. Although I only recently picked up posting here after a few years break, I lurked pretty regularly and have always valued what you have to say. You and RuthC are among the people whose opinion I place a lot of value on, and I appreciate you taking the time to share it.

:o thank you. how very kind :o:o

There were a few on the O board that insinuated I was too exacting & demanding so I think that is why I added "maybe I am too fussy" (and maybe in some people's eyes I am).

For those of you that don't read the O boards, you will find a nunber of comments from those that were on our cruise on the Norovirus thread on the O boards.

Here is the link for anyone who may be interested

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2284660&page=7

FWIW, when we were on the Prinsendam, all treatment for noro was free, not just the examination.

Sadly, I cannot recall what the policy was on the N Amsterdam which was a number of years ago.

There is a big difference between free treatment and a free examination ;)

Edited by kazu

I have to say that reading reports like yours (and Ruth C.'s previously) really give me pause re: trying Oceania. I still think I will try the line someday but not until I'm able to find a pretty good deal for doing so...

Thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

Most of us, at one time or another, have been critical of some aspect of HAL cruises and have expressed displeasure in some way on these boards. Jacqui has certainly made us realize how well treated we are on HAL and that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Thank you!

Most of us, at one time or another, have been critical of some aspect of HAL cruises and have expressed displeasure in some way on these boards. Jacqui has certainly made us realize how well treated we are on HAL and that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Thank you!

Good post. :)

Jacqui, thanks for posting your reviews and answering questions. My former TA (she retired, I didn't dump her) often encouraged me to look at O, but it didn't seem to speak to me, even after she arranged for us to have lunch on one of the ships. I just didn't see a good value for the price, and you have confirmed that.

I find it particularly ironic that hot breakfast from room service is available to only the upper suite grades. O is always touted as being so egalitarian. I like that on HAL anyone can have a hot room service breakfast. Even on Cunard, hot room service breakfast is available to any cabin.

I hate to imagine my calm, easy-going husband sitting for 45 minutes looking at a dirty plate. I don't think you were fussy, I think you were incredibly patient. What I like about HAL is how responsive waiters are. If you didn't eat something, they'll ask if there's a problem and can they get you something else. A woman at our table only ordered vegetables. She basically wanted all the veg portions that were served with the various meat dinners. She was very happy with what was put together for her. Toward the end of the meal, a supervisor came to the table with a special menu to discuss her needs. The waiter must have taken the time to tell him that there was a passenger who might want to pre-order a special meal. He paid attention to what was going on. That's good service.

I'm surprised they didn't come up with some sort of activities for the days you weren't in Bermuda. It sounds as if they had been negotiating with Bermuda for a while, so they had to know missing Bermuda was a possibility. Someone should have told the cruise director to put together some activities just in case. This is one place Cunard excels. We've had ports cancelled due to weather/winds, and there always was an updated daily program in our cabin in about an hour.

When everything is going well, most cruise lines look good. But when something doesn't go according to plan, that's when you see how well they do things. Noro and a missed port don't seem to have been handled as well as they could have been. I'm sorry you missed Bermuda. It's such a lovely island!

I'd say this has been quite a successful thread. When I do my compound trips I normally do several threads, one on each of the cruise line's forums and one thread somewhere on neutral territory covering the entire trip. In 2017 I'm doing a trip where a 10-day Crystal World Cruise segment will be sandwiched between the Konigsdam and the Zaandam. The overall itinerary is something like this:

A couple of days pre cruise travel

Konigsdam 10-days

2-days travel to Buenos Aires

10 days on Crystal Serenity

A week interlude, probably visiting Iguazu falls

32 days on the Zaandam

Amtrak back home

How would people feel about me reporting the entire trip here since most of my time will be on HAL?

I'm also thinking of one little quirk in particular. There's been a lot of talk in this thread about the Oceania gangway. Crystal uses a similar gangway. I've never really thought about it but I would take a look at it in various ports to see how it is really set up and how things work for less mobile passengers. I know I usually have seen scooters, walkers, and chairs on the ship but have never seen any real access problems. I also do not remember RuthC mentioning difficulty with the gangway on her O cruise so I expect it's less an issue than it looked like in Nassau, but I will have a close look.

How do you feel?

Roy

I'd say this has been quite a successful thread. When I do my compound trips I normally do several threads, one on each of the cruise line's forums and one thread somewhere on neutral territory covering the entire trip. In 2017 I'm doing a trip where a 10-day Crystal World Cruise segment will be sandwiched between the Konigsdam and the Zaandam. The overall itinerary is something like this:

A couple of days pre cruise travel

Konigsdam 10-days

2-days travel to Buenos Aires

10 days on Crystal Serenity

A week interlude, probably visiting Iguazu falls

32 days on the Zaandam

Amtrak back home

How would people feel about me reporting the entire trip here since most of my time will be on HAL?

I'm also thinking of one little quirk in particular. There's been a lot of talk in this thread about the Oceania gangway. Crystal uses a similar gangway. I've never really thought about it but I would take a look at it in various ports to see how it is really set up and how things work for less mobile passengers. I know I usually have seen scooters, walkers, and chairs on the ship but have never seen any real access problems. I also do not remember RuthC mentioning difficulty with the gangway on her O cruise so I expect it's less an issue than it looked like in Nassau, but I will have a close look.

How do you feel?

Roy

speaking only for myself Roy, I would be happy if you did it all here although your Crystal followers may be disappointed ;)

I always follow your live threads and enjoy them very much.

It's easier if it is one thread as I always seem to post on the wrong one :eek::p

However you choose to do it, I will certainly be following along ;)

Jacqui, thanks for posting your reviews and answering questions. My former TA (she retired, I didn't dump her) often encouraged me to look at O, but it didn't seem to speak to me, even after she arranged for us to have lunch on one of the ships. I just didn't see a good value for the price, and you have confirmed that.

I find it particularly ironic that hot breakfast from room service is available to only the upper suite grades. O is always touted as being so egalitarian. I like that on HAL anyone can have a hot room service breakfast. Even on Cunard, hot room service breakfast is available to any cabin.

I hate to imagine my calm, easy-going husband sitting for 45 minutes looking at a dirty plate. I don't think you were fussy, I think you were incredibly patient. What I like about HAL is how responsive waiters are. If you didn't eat something, they'll ask if there's a problem and can they get you something else. A woman at our table only ordered vegetables. She basically wanted all the veg portions that were served with the various meat dinners. She was very happy with what was put together for her. Toward the end of the meal, a supervisor came to the table with a special menu to discuss her needs. The waiter must have taken the time to tell him that there was a passenger who might want to pre-order a special meal. He paid attention to what was going on. That's good service.

I'm surprised they didn't come up with some sort of activities for the days you weren't in Bermuda. It sounds as if they had been negotiating with Bermuda for a while, so they had to know missing Bermuda was a possibility. Someone should have told the cruise director to put together some activities just in case. This is one place Cunard excels. We've had ports cancelled due to weather/winds, and there always was an updated daily program in our cabin in about an hour.

When everything is going well, most cruise lines look good. But when something doesn't go according to plan, that's when you see how well they do things. Noro and a missed port don't seem to have been handled as well as they could have been. I'm sorry you missed Bermuda. It's such a lovely island!

they knew Bermuda was cancelled the night before and waited to come up with a new programme until the following day.

I think the one thing that struck many was that they did nothing different on the sea days - other than the ship building contest which was scheduled for the final sea day anyways.

No special activities, no special brunch, no nothing.

When I talked to some O cruisers, they talked about simple little things that could be fun and add something to take the monotony out of the "same old, same old". they were surprised nothing at all was done.

Ok, the lecturers came up with an extra lecture since we had an extra sea day and one less port day, I guess.