Cruise safety in Middle East

Jungle JIM

We have booked a cruise from Dubai with stops in Oman, Jordan, Suez Canal,Egypt, Israel and then into the MED.

We are concerned on the safety aspects in these countries and would appreciate any comments from recent cruises.

You don't say what cruise line? Most cruise lines we have been on will not go where it is not safe. We typically cruise Princess, Celebrity, Holland America, Cunard, NCL...

Things change all the time in the Middle East... we have cruised to Israel, Egypt, Turkey, Greece... from the Mediterranean in the past. Sometimes ports were dropped for safety reasons.

We are flying in March to Israel... on Air France... some times airlines stop flying if there high concerns reg safety.

This issue comes up quite often here on CC and we have friends ask us the same question nearly every week (we cruise and travel over 6 months a year). There is no easy answer because the reality is that life if full of risk and words do not minimize the issue. Many frequent travelers (including moi) do not obsess on this kind of issue since we accept that risk is just part of life. I could spend a month in the Middle East (and we have) and have no problems and then get hit by a car in front of my own house.

There has recently been a lot of adverse publicity about issues in Istanbul and some cruise lines have actually skipped the port out of an abundance of caution. And yet, the reality is that Istanbul is a huge city and if one simply avoids public demonstrations (easy to do) the risk is very minimal. Personally, we would happily go to Turkey (and Istanbul) tomorrow without any concern. But others obsess on this kind of thing and nothing we say is going to change their mind.

So, the only advice we can offer the OP is that if your planned trip causes you concerns that you cannot mentally handle, cancel your trip and stay home.

We should add that if you look at the last decade of cruising (all over the world) the only cruiser who has been shot and killed in a port was a 14 year old girl killed at Coki Beach in St Thomas, USVI. So if you want to obsess on safety and use facts, perhaps everyone should avoid the USVI.

Hank

We should add that if you look at the last decade of cruising (all over the world) the only cruiser who has been shot and killed in a port was a 14 year old girl killed at Coki Beach in St Thomas, USVI. So if you want to obsess on safety and use facts, perhaps everyone should avoid the USVI.

Hank

Well, not completely true. The attack at the Bardo Museum in Tunisia comes to mind -- 17 of the 20 people killed were cruise ship passengers.

That said, I completely agree with your viewpoint that the risks are very minimal and that cruise ships generally exercise an abundance of caution when it comes to visiting ports that could be considered a risk.

As other posts, cruise lines tend to be risk-averse - especially US ships.

So the major risk isn't to your safety, but to your cruise not being as good as you might hope due to ports being cancelled :(, possibly at short notice, in the interests of passengers' safety.

Though any time saved by missing a port can result in other ports - such as Cyprus or Malta - being substituted instead.:)

In the current climate, a cancelled or substituted port or two is sadly a strong possibility.

But you don't quote your date - things change quite quickly in the middle-east, for the worse or for the better.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I don't care which cruise line...there is no way I'd put myself in the madness occurring in that area of the world...Those folks are crazed and do NOT like us!!!! The killings happening there are not "random" like in most cities or in the case of St. Thomas...they are targeted....and I wouldn't want to be the target.

Edited by cb at sea

I don't care which cruise line...there is no way I'd put myself in the madness occurring in that area of the world...Those folks are crazed and do NOT like us!!!! The killings happening there are not "random"...they are targeted....and I wouldn't want to be the target.

Agree. We are all targets. Although I do think the cruise ships are sensible in making decisions.

I don't care which cruise line...there is no way I'd put myself in the madness occurring in that area of the world...Those folks are crazed and do NOT like us!!!! The killings happening there are not "random" like in most cities or in the case of St. Thomas...they are targeted....and I wouldn't want to be the target.

Crazed? Not like us? :rolleyes:

Do you think the massacre at the historic African-American church in Charleston was not "targeted"? Or are you saying it's okay because they weren't targeting your demographic?

People are much more similar than different. Many groups and societies have gone down some pretty twisted paths in pursuit of an idea that seems crazy to the rest of the world (and later generations).

Everyone makes such decisions for themselves but there is no way I would travel to that area right now. I am so grateful we did all the travel when we did. We had a few

'close calls' and I'm no longer interested in such circumstances.

Crazed? Not like us? :rolleyes:

Do you think the massacre at the historic African-American church in Charleston was not "targeted"? Or are you saying it's okay because they weren't targeting your demographic?

People are much more similar than different. Many groups and societies have gone down some pretty twisted paths in pursuit of an idea that seems crazy to the rest of the world (and later generations).

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see where CB said anything like that ?

I agree with CB. Why would I want to tread in hostile waters ? It doesn't matter what makes me a target "race,religion,wealth,gender etc" I am going to do what I can to lower my risks. Obviously, everyone will have a personal decision to make as to what level of risk is worth the "reward". The benefits of getting into a vehicle include being able to go to work, shop, educate my children etc... are worth the possible risks. I can't say the same for visiting a place that is in constant turmoil and where I am viewed as the enemy. Just not worth it to me. For you, it might be different and thats alright with me.

Killing people who pose no imminent and deadly threat to you is wrong. I'm okay with the term "crazed" too if someone wants to use that.

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see where CB said anything like that ?

You do not see it? I used her exact words....

Edited by cruisemom42

OP, what cruise line is still sailing such an itinerary?

Trust your 'gut'. If it makes you queasy to think of sailing to those locations, listen to your instincts. If you are going to be nervous while there, what is the point? Doesn't sound like much fun.

Well, not completely true. The attack at the Bardo Museum in Tunisia comes to mind -- 17 of the 20 people killed were cruise ship passengers.

That said, I completely agree with your viewpoint that the risks are very minimal and that cruise ships generally exercise an abundance of caution when it comes to visiting ports that could be considered a risk.

Hi Cruisemom42! And yes, some of us are even old enough to remember the Achille Lauro tragedy. :( Although that has never stopped me from going anywhere that I wanted to go -- I don't kid myself that my U.S. passport would be much protection, in a similar situation. Folks on the X boards have recently been quite critical of Celebrity's decision to cancel some holy land ports -- due to political unrest. While I can definitely understand the passengers' disappointment, the cruise line has to take everyone's safety into consideration. I feel better, knowing that my cruise line would never deliberately put me in harm's way. :cool:

I am getting one chance for the med and had istanbul booked for next year....after reading about the cancellations on cc we decided to change our itinerary so we would have more control over where we would end up....still have Ephesus on the list so that will be as far as we get into the middle east....I would love to see egypt,etc but I guess it won't be in this lifetime....

I know Crystal for one is offering a cruise very much like what the OP describes. I was just looking at it today.

Be interesting to see if they actual port in all those destinations. When is the cruise scheduled? They may have second thoughts as to keeping ship, crew and guests safe.

Be interesting to see if they actual port in all those destinations. When is the cruise scheduled? They may have second thoughts as to keeping ship, crew and guests safe.

The one I was looking at on Crystal (Dubai to Rome) is not until 2018! Although there is one going in the reverse direction (Rome to Dubai) in 2017.

Who knows if they will go...?

There is a Regent Seven Seas cruise underway right now that is sailing Istanbul to Dubai and including nearly the same assortment of ports (e.g., Israel, Jordan, Suez Canal, Egypt).

If you do the Suez, plan on doing the canal overnight and being told to pull all window shades as the ship will turn off all exterior lights so as not to attract any attention.

My cousins just returned from a Celebrity cruise that had the stops in Israel cancelled. Nearly everyone on board was angry, as they weren't told of the change until the day before departure. We all tried to tell them that it was likely to happen, knowing the problems that were happening at the time.

So, if any stop in the Middle East, Israel or Egypt is on your bucket list, don't do count on seeing those ports on a cruise because lines cancel ports without notice.

The one I was looking at on Crystal (Dubai to Rome) is not until 2018! Although there is one going in the reverse direction (Rome to Dubai) in 2017.

Who knows if they will go...?

There is a Regent Seven Seas cruise underway right now that is sailing Istanbul to Dubai and including nearly the same assortment of ports (e.g., Israel, Jordan, Suez Canal, Egypt).

Happy Planning.

You couldn't give me a cruise to that part of the world right now.

Sailing in 2018,,,, way too far out for me to even imagine booking anything. I like to plan but that is silly to book now, IMO

If you do the Suez, plan on doing the canal overnight and being told to pull all window shades as the ship will turn off all exterior lights so as not to attract any attention.

My cousins just returned from a Celebrity cruise that had the stops in Israel cancelled. Nearly everyone on board was angry, as they weren't told of the change until the day before departure. We all tried to tell them that it was likely to happen, knowing the problems that were happening at the time.

So, if any stop in the Middle East, Israel or Egypt is on your bucket list, don't do count on seeing those ports on a cruise because lines cancel ports without notice.

Thanks for sharing actual current information.

It's been that way for years, definitely not new. Even though Pirate activity has dropped right off they still take the precaution.

Our issue is port cancellation. We were looking at Azamara in 2017. Athens to Dubai but I'd be heartbroken if ports started getting cancelled. I just can't see spending all that money and not getting the itinerary that we choose.

I will tell you that some of these places are much safer than other parts of the world and that includes certain areas in the USA.

As part of a very long cruise we were on in 2010, we sailed close to 30 days in the Middle East and went to places that cruise lines would not stop today including Iran and Kuwait City and Saudi Arabia. We also stopped in three ports in the UAE, two ports in Oman, Israel, Bahrain and Egypt. People thought it was crazy to go. We even were a little nervous at first (had been to some of these places before but not ones such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait) but this has to be the most remarkable lengthily cruise we've ever been on and a big part of it was those days in the Middle East. We learned so much and it changed our thinking on some large world events.

Even then there were some areas where we had to keep the shades down and we had to stay inside the ship and extra security was brought on board the ship.

Israel like NYC is one of the safest places on Earth and many of these other places are quite safe. Yes, I would avoid a few of they places but I would have no worries in Oman, Jordan and Israel.

You have a higher chance of getting killed in your car or just go to Chicago.

You could have been on the Subway in Spain? How about the terrorist attacks many years ago in Tokyo? How about the issues in London. How about the issues in France just a couple of years ago? How about 9/11 in NYC? Often it is the places that you don't think will be an issue will be. How about the tourists that were targets just a couple of years ago in Barbados? I am more fearful to get off in Jamaica than to be in Oman? How about the ships that stop in Africa. Even Cape Town has issues.

How about some of the small boats people get onto on tours not knowing the safety record of the tour operator or Helicopters and again you don't know the standards of the tour operator let alone the pilot.

If one wants the security of travel than best to stay home but remember you could trip getting out of bed and smack your head on an end table.

Not saying to do dumb things but there really is risk anytime you travel including ones own home country.

Keith