Day of

You NEED, either a passport, or Birth Certificate and Driver's license (for closed loop cruises, only) and money.

You don't actually need to print anything, but it does speed things along if you have your booking number and online check in form. Obviously, you have a computer, so your cruise line should have some way to do online check-in. Do it.

You do NOT need to print out all the info in the documents...but you should read it...it's your cruise contract....so you should know what you paid for!

So on every forum I read about embarking, I see that I need my cruise documents. What does this entitle? Just print out my reservation or is there more to it? TIA!

We wanted to give you accurate info so looked at your cruise (Navigator of the Seas) and it is what is called a "Closed Loop Cruise" which simply means you are on a Caribbean cruise that begins and ends at the same US Port. If you have a valid Passport you should take it. If not, you are permitted if you have certain other permitted documents...which are primarily a qualifying birth certificate plus a government issued photo-id like a drivers license. The Birth Certificate here is what is posted on the CBP web site:

"U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. "

A valid Passport is always best since if you had to leave your cruise at one of the island due to a personal emergency, you cannot fly back to the US unless you have a Passport.

You also should have the appropriate document issued by your own cruise line. This information in on the RCI web site. If you have filled out their online forms the you will be able to print-out your "Setsail" Pass which is a short document that serves as your cruise ticket. You also need your Passport or other documents (mentioned above) and the credit card you want to use for your onboard account. In addition, we always like to take along copies of other related booking documents such as invoices from your travel agent/cruise line, and any other documents that might have specifics about any packages you booked, extra benefits like drink packages, on board credits, etc. Our reasoning is that if the cruise line messed up their records we want to have everything we need to prove anything related to our booking. Always better to carry a few extra pieces of paper and be extra safe :).

Hank

I always recommend that first time cruisers print out all the information -- i.e. -- contract.

Also print out your luggage tags.

If you have pre-purchased anything -- shore excursions, specialty restaurants, etc. -- print out that information and take it along with you. If your TA has given you any shipboard credit or other perks -- take along copies of those as well.

So on every forum I read about embarking, I see that I need my cruise documents. What does this entitle? Just print out my reservation or is there more to it? TIA!

The ONLY thing you have to have is the required government ID. It will speed things up if you print the boarding pass but it is not necessary or required. As far as luggage tags, you can print then from your online account or do what a lot of people do and get them from the porters at the port, write your name and cabin number on them and you are good to go.

Edited by zqvol

When your online check in is completed you can print your set sail pass, your luggage tags will be available to print from your computer at that time, if you go to the cruise critic store you can purchase luggage tag holders for a couple of dollars and will be a perfect fit for the printed tags, CC has narrow and wide tag holders so be sure to get the narrow long ones for RCCL . if you can't print the tags the porters will take care of you at the pier. happy cruising

When your online check in is completed you can print your set sail pass, your luggage tags will be available to print from your computer at that time, if you go to the cruise critic store you can purchase luggage tag holders for a couple of dollars and will be a perfect fit for the printed tags, CC has narrow and wide tag holders so be sure to get the narrow long ones for RCCL . if you can't print the tags the porters will take care of you at the pier. happy cruising

Thanks so much!!

My cruise isn't till march but where do I find the luggage tags when the time comes.

Just as easy to get your tags from the porter at the terminal...no need to do a craft project or pay for luggage tag holder's.

Just as easy to get your tags from the porter at the terminal...no need to do a craft project or pay for luggage tag holder's.

That's what I always do as well. No need to print it yourself, and go through all the hassle of attaching it so it doesn't come off, unless you have the right size of labelholder. The porters have a lot of bagtags which can easily be fixed on your bag. You just need to fill in your name, statenumber, etc.

We wanted to give you accurate info so looked at your cruise (Navigator of the Seas) and it is what is called a "Closed Loop Cruise" which simply means you are on a Caribbean cruise that begins and ends at the same US Port. If you have a valid Passport you should take it. If not, you are permitted if you have certain other permitted documents...which are primarily a qualifying birth certificate plus a government issued photo-id like a drivers license. The Birth Certificate here is what is posted on the CBP web site:

"U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. "

A valid Passport is always best since if you had to leave your cruise at one of the island due to a personal emergency, you cannot fly back to the US unless you have a Passport.

You also should have the appropriate document issued by your own cruise line. This information in on the RCI web site. If you have filled out their online forms the you will be able to print-out your "Setsail" Pass which is a short document that serves as your cruise ticket. You also need your Passport or other documents (mentioned above) and the credit card you want to use for your onboard account. In addition, we always like to take along copies of other related booking documents such as invoices from your travel agent/cruise line, and any other documents that might have specifics about any packages you booked, extra benefits like drink packages, on board credits, etc. Our reasoning is that if the cruise line messed up their records we want to have everything we need to prove anything related to our booking. Always better to carry a few extra pieces of paper and be extra safe :).

Hank

Hank, has given you excellent advice. I would do as he has recommended.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Keith

If you are taking your birth certificate it MUST be the official one not a hospital one. If you don't have a passport think of getting one. People think they cost a lot but they are good for 10 years. Sorry I can't give you the current cost as ours don't expire for 5 more years. But it cost less when you renew them.

We will just reemphasize the importance of having the proper government document (valid Passport or the proper kind of Birth Certificate plus government issued picture id)! If you were to forget all of your cruise documents, the staff at the port would still be able to verify your status and check you in for your cruise (although this can cause some delays). But if you forget or do not bring adequate government documents you will be turned away from the port and will not be able to take your cruise. The cruise line staff have no discretion with government documents and the government officials at the port will not make exceptions! We have previously witnessed some folks turned away (and hysterically in tears) because their birth certificates were not issued by the correct authority (which is why having a Passport avoids any possible issue).

Hank

Just a small bit of advice ... go to the dollar store and buy a plastic folder "document holder". I usually put all of my print outs into that and as I collect things on the cruise that I want to keep (such as Fun Times on Carnival), I just put them in there. It keeps everything nice and tidy.