Veendam listed for sale - $150,000,000

InTheWASide

And among other things, the image for the Retreat is incorrect...

Looks like they aren't planning to transfer this one.

Obviously this will come as no surprise to anyone, but sometimes it gives more of an idea if it's a "someday" sale or if they are actively seeking buyers when a listing appears

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1202075/?searchid=9854577&page=2

Edited by InTheWASide

Not sure we agree with Cheng (we understand he works for the cruise line) about this type of listing "happening all the time." But yes, it does happen and is usually not listed via yacht brokers (like in the case of the Veendam) unless the cruise line has already failed at attempts to sell the vessel through quiet in-industry negotiations. So one can assume that HAL wants to get rid of the ship and has had no luck finding a buyer. So we are wondering if some HAL lovers are ready to step-up and own your own HAL ship :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Not sure we agree with Cheng (we understand he works for the cruise line) about this type of listing "happening all the time." But yes, it does happen and is usually not listed via yacht brokers (like in the case of the Veendam) unless the cruise line has already failed at attempts to sell the vessel through quiet in-industry negotiations. So one can assume that HAL wants to get rid of the ship and has had no luck finding a buyer. So we are wondering if some HAL lovers are ready to step-up and own your own HAL ship :).

Hank

There's also an old listed from Statendam on that site but it was ultimately transferred. (The starry night murals (or was it mosaics... I forget) in the show lounge gave that one away)

It is. That one has been on there for quite a long amount of time. Veendam is relatively new. (I look every couple months just to get an idea if a ship is headed off in the near-ish future) If I want to try it I can attempt to move the plans for that specific ship up

So often the Maasdam and Veendam have been up for sale.

I would rather see these sold than transferred to another company.

I know you mean transferring within Carnival Family of Ships but selling them is transferring ownership, as well.

Is the reason you'd rather they are sold to a third party because they (hopefully) would get cash in hand?

It definitely is the Prinsendam!:(:(:(:(:(

It will be a sad day for me if our favorite ship leaves the fleet..

I kind of had a premonition that the Prinsendam may not be with HAL much longer. Having never been on her and really wanting to, I booked a Christmas / New Years cruise on her next month. Can't wait to sail on her.

I'm afraid my other S & R ships may be slowly sailing off into the sunset:mad:

How much would my payments be?

Was intrigued by your question so went to a calculator website:

$150,000,000 loan for 30 years at 6% has a monthly payment of $899,325.79 and a 15-year loan has a monthly payment of $1,265,785.24.

No increase in US social security pay outs this year so looks like some of us may have to pass.

They couldn't pay me $150m to take her.
Don't worry - they ain't paying you nothing .:D

We were pleasantly surprised how good everything looked on the Veendam this summer . All was well maintained . It was my first and probably last opportunity to sail on a "classic" ship . Glad I had the chance .

The simple fact is that in the price point where HAL competes, the S and R class ships no longer make enough money to justify tying up all that working capital. The only way for HAL to reduce the overhead per passenger and to lower operating costs is to move economies of scale.

The Prinsendam is a special case, but even she is going to become too expensive to operate, soon.