Is the Negative tone on the Celebrity board present on the other lines boards?

clojacks

I have a Celebrity cruise coming up in the spring. It is our first Celebrity one in 2 or 3 years. I don't follow the other lines boards, unless I am sailing on them. I am amazed at how negative the Celebrity board has become from the last time I paid much attention to it. Negativity towards the ships. Negativity towards the pricing. Negativity towards what MANY are seeing as the declining perceived "luxury" of the line. And most amazingly, the directed slights from those with lesser or higher status (elite, elite+, suite guest, etc) towards those who have different status. Has Celebrity created this monster?

You raise an interesting point. I've recently returned from a Celebrity cruise and many on my roll call group were critical of the experience

In my opinion you get what you pay for with Celebrity - nothing more nothing less. Celebrity is not a luxury cruise line - it's mass market cruising like many of its similar competitors. I've had the privilege of two small ship luxury cruise lines vacations and again I got what I paid for an expensive but luxury experience

Your Celebrity cruise will be very enjoyable as long as you have the right expectation

Celebrity promote themselves as modern luxury and for a period of time had extra promotional tools in their tool chest like 123 Go and big, better best promotions which provided that little extra above what other cruise lines were promoting all at a comparable cost. Well these two promotions whilst very successful started coming at a cost which kind of negated the benefits. What now seems to be happening is that these "perks" are disappearing again but the higher charges are remaining which again takes away a benefit of cruising with Celebrity. When one is paying all inclusive prices one looks for the little things that may make a difference between Celebrity and its competitors and each year this list of competitors gets larger and larger. For a time the evening chocolates were removed , then after much angst were brought back ob the first formal night and after more angst now brought back each night. This may not seem much on its own but when added up to other issues that seem to be disappearing or changing then one becomes to be concerned. I am a 3 star passenger who normally travel in a veranda or oceanview depending upon costs so I pay relative small costs for my cruise say $3000 per person but there are other in suites who pay tens of thousands of dollars for the same cruise and for that the extra "luxuries" are important and so they should be. Celebrity boast of being 5 star but are they really or have they come to the conclusion that perhaps they need to expand their market and drop down a star or two to capture that market. A start in this respect is the removal of "Formal nights" to "Evening Chic". Don't ask me to explain what Evening Chic is because I have no idea. I think it means Jackets are not required in the MDR on those designated nights. Ties have been gone for men for some time. Many others are in favour as well but some aren't. A benefit for some ,detrimental lowering of standards for others. Celebrity employ a lot of people to review these changes and I am sure changes are not made without due consideration. The company's bottom line is at the end of the day the priority. If with these changes the bottom line doesn't improve I am sure we will see more. I don't know what is right and wrong only having done 3 cruises on X but we booked for another two next year and will see haw the changes affect us.

What I do find even more disturbing is getting answers from Celebrity to concerns when not on a ship. Their response to emails and the time the website seems down is appalling. An example of this are the changes to on line checkin. One used to checkin months in advance , now with no warning or fanfare they have limited on line checkin to 90 days out. Why? no explanations have been given

I've noticed that new X cruisers are mostly positive.

The problem appears to be experienced cruisers comparing the current Celebrity product to what Celebrity offered a few years back, and yes, my personal opinion is that some facets have slipped badly. Much of this IMHO is due to changes X is making to attract a younger demographic.

As for your question, I also read the RC threads regularily and don't think I see the same level of negative posts.

We are booked on Princess as well as Celebrity and have recently experienced the on line chit chat...sad to say there is unhappiness about cutbacks, new dining venues, new benefit rules, etc...along with happiness too...but most of it is very civil and not snarky for the most part.

As for Celebrity, some folks are loving the ships and experience, as we do, but we agree that there has been a decline in the overall product from our perspective...esp as the line grows and must go for a wider appeal.

..Sad to say, there is also a tone of intolerance on the boards here towards those who point out disappointments, negatives, etc. ..changing demographics or sign of the times????

Anyhow..there is good info exchanged so worth participating...as long as we continue to cruise...I am sure OP will enjoy the Spring cruise...and hopefully report back on the experience as it compares to the previous experience,

Edited by hcat

I visit several boards on a regular basis and they all seem to have become very negative. NCL almost has a melt down every time they implement another fee, the latest being the a-la-carte pricing at Margaritaville when it was advertised as free. That got ugly! HAL regulars seem to miss the "good ole days" and don't mind telling you, and Princess has their share of negative posters too. I just get so tired of complaining about minor issues, like prices being more than last year (a real shocker) or companies not lowering fares based on fuel prices when I don't recall them EVER implementing the fuel surcharge. Just relax and enjoy the cruise and don't let the little things ruin your vacation...or look for another way to spend your money.

I'm almost hesitate to post anything about anything because I've found that the snarky comments can be fast and furious. I say let's at least give each other a break and try to be a little more kind in general. It's what the world needs now. And some of the stuff, i.e. dress code, is really, really a personal preference and everyone should be entitled to their own opinions. It's been a couple of days over a year ago that my brother committed suicide at the age of 45 after battling bi-polar depression for many years. It makes me even more aware of what truly worth getting my granny panties in a bunch about. Good thoughts and kind wishes for a peaceful, happy, holiday season.

Yes you see negative posts on all boards. But bear in mind this site is CruiseCritic not CruisePraise:D. Seriously my opinion is that the old saying "Familiarity brings contempt" (or something like that)is predominant on the boards. I really believe that folks get more critical the more they cruise. I pay more attention to the complaints by rookie cruisers than the seasoned ones. In spite of that, there is a treasure trove of information to be gleaned but you have to get through the weeds.

I'm almost hesitate to post anything about anything because I've found that the snarky comments can be fast and furious. I say let's at least give each other a break and try to be a little more kind in general. It's what the world needs now. And some of the stuff, i.e. dress code, is really, really a personal preference and everyone should be entitled to their own opinions. It's been a couple of days over a year ago that my brother committed suicide at the age of 45 after battling bi-polar depression for many years. It makes me even more aware of what truly worth getting my granny panties in a bunch about. Good thoughts and kind wishes for a peaceful, happy, holiday season.

What a beautiful post.

Spread the kindness!

Thanks for posting some very nice words. May the force read your kind words.

We have done 1 RCCL to mexico and 5 X to Alaska (ALL IN THE LAST 5 YEARS) and we've never been disappointed. We are Blue Chip Club VIP and they take very good care of us and we are by no means "high rollers". If you just remember to make the best of your vacation time and....DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!:)

Edited by Max Bet

MsB1254

I am sorry for your loss.

I think your post was Very well written.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Celebrity does seem to have more than it's share. On Royal, if there is a negative post, the CC group comes down on them like a ton of bricks. They seem to have the most loyal cruisers. On HAL, the most complaints seem to be about smoking on the balconies. They are the only mass cruise line left to allow this. On MSC, they complain about everything, especially the web site, which, by the way, makes Celebrity's seem professional. Carnival's complaints about lack of live music. Princess, like X, about cutbacks, and changes of venues on the ships. I hope this helps in some small way.

Last night when I was logging on to CC, I said to my husband, "Let's see what everyone on the Celebrity boards is mad about tonight."

I only watch boards when I have a cruise booked on that line, but I do feel that the overall feel of the X board is more negative. While there are a few things that cause me concern (ie, reported employee theft), many are things that I take with a grain of salt. Just because a change does not work for an individual does not make it a bad change. I do feel like the X board has many longtime loyal cruisers, seemingly more than the other boards that I have watched in the past. It does not surprise me that after, say, 15-20 years that what those loyal cruisers may be looking for in cruise has changed beyond what X now offers.

There's more negative posts it seems than positive and yet we all enjoy cruising. When we aren't cruising we are reading and chatting about it. Age and experience brings a more critical eye ... We have found changing cruise lines a real tonic. It's always refreshing to get on a new ship. We are trying HAL next year for the fist time. Trying not to pay too much attention to any negatives. I'm sure there will be things we don't like and some we prefer. No cruise line can meet perfection in everyone's eyes as we all look for different things to make our cruise enjoyable.

Cruising has become a cheap vacation option thanks to the large ships competing for our hard earned pay. Twenty years ago we paid far more pro rata than we do these days. It's no longer a vacation for rich and famous. However our expectations are higher for a cruise vacation than from a land based hotel package as cruising has a heritage of good service and luxury.

How long the cruise industry will be able to maintain standards is questionable. There must come a point in the price war when cutbacks will take away the very nature of the cruise package. Thousands of passengers all expecting a five star cruise experience but wanting to pay a two star price is a recipe for disappointment.

I've noticed that new X cruisers are mostly positive.

The problem appears to be experienced cruisers comparing the current Celebrity product to what Celebrity offered a few years back, and yes, my personal opinion is that some facets have slipped badly. Much of this IMHO is due to changes X is making to attract a younger demographic.

As for your question, I also read the RC threads regularily and don't think I see the same level of negative posts.

I agree. But at the same time, while pricing is comparable or better than other lines in an OC or balcony because of the included perk/drink package (for most I would assume), the current suite pricing is insane no matter whom they are going after. All you have to do is compare suite pricing on the other lines to Celebrity. It's straight up nuts and they can keep it.

To respond to OP's question - check out the Holland America boards and Celebrity comments will seem positively lighthearted by comparison LOL.....

I sail both regularly and for the most part am very pleased with what I receive, particularly considering the price paid.

I read the forums for several cruse lines pretty regularly, and I have felt for some time that the Celebrity board is the most negative. Yes, NCL has gone postal lately but the continuing string of cutbacks and upcharges is very bad there lately so they have much to complain about. As to Celebrity, I think there may be two factors at play. First, Celebrity used to have a clear place in the market that was easy to grasp -- a mass-market line with a little more luxury and class. The recent changes (unless you book a suite) have diminished the luxury touches and the generational shift in desired customer has led to changes (e.g. MiamiDJ) that strike some of us more seasoned folks as less classy. But on the positive side, I wonder if the level of outrage is the product of Celebrity's generous loyalty program? It seems to me that you get a lot more benefits as you rise up the Captain's Club tiers than you would on, say, Princess. I think the Elite+ posters really are loyal to Celebrity, and they aren't seeing that loyalty returned -- that leads to hurt feelings that can't be answered with "it's just business."

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I read the forums for several cruse lines pretty regularly, and I have felt for some time that the Celebrity board is the most negative. Yes, NCL has gone postal lately but the continuing string of cutbacks and upcharges is very bad there lately so they have much to complain about. As to Celebrity, I think there may be two factors at play. First, Celebrity used to have a clear place in the market that was easy to grasp -- a mass-market line with a little more luxury and class. The recent changes (unless you book a suite) have diminished the luxury touches and the generational shift in desired customer has led to changes (e.g. MiamiDJ) that strike some of us more seasoned folks as less classy. But on the positive side, I wonder if the level of outrage is the product of Celebrity's generous loyalty program? It seems to me that you get a lot more benefits as you rise up the Captain's Club tiers than you would on, say, Princess. I think the Elite+ posters really are loyal to Celebrity, and they aren't seeing that loyalty returned -- that leads to hurt feelings that can't be answered with "it's just business."

Whenever there are changes, there will be disagreements, it has happened many times over the years. If you think things are bad you should have been around when Royal took over Celebrity. Celebrity has recently made a number of changes with the dress code, suite benefits, Captains Club, even when they changed the smoking policy. Whenever there are changes there will be a lot of people who are ticked off. As someone early said we are dealing with humans. I believe these complaints are on all boards and are cyclical. Lately its been Celebrity's turn.

Edited by dkjretired

Thank you for this beautiful post.