Another Long Time Celebrity Cruiser Jumping Ship

Lois R

We tried Oasis, including specialty dining ..could not wait to get off the ship...may be great for familes, teens and rock climbers, zipliners, but was not a good fit for us...Diamond lounge in am and late afternoon was excellent...but even the shows and bands were lacking...felt like a crowded mid range shopping mall at sea!

Interesting. Scares me.

Thanks

Interested in what you two are now going to do with your travel plans .

Tours , all-inclusives , exotic lands or will you follow Lois and river cruise ?

I'm just content living in Hawaii for now. My vacation is working less. Future vacations will be land ones no tours.

I have noticed that several cruise lines are pricing high and then waiting to see if the ship fills, if it isn't filling fast enough the prices come down or sale perks are provided to entice more customers. It seems the supply and demand model is just starting at a much higher and more profitable price. This then makes the deals seem less special for seasoned passengers, which is why some are leaving. As long as the ships fill the prices will stay higher.:(

Very true. If you check the weekly Xcoting Deals, in many cases the fares are very close to what the "normal" fares used to be.

Lois, we did our first river cruise with Ama this past spring, Basel to Amsterdam, and absolutely loved it. Ama is very highly rated among the river cruise companies. We think river cruising suits our needs better than ocean cruising.

While in Amsterdam, be sure to check out the Keukenhof Gardens - they were spectacular when we were there. Enjoy!

The Gardens are on the itinerary:).......definitely looking forward to

seeing them.

Interesting. Scares me.

Thanks

We loved the Allure and Oasis. So many choices of venues. The shows, on ice, in the water, broadway, etc cannot be beat! A great contrast to Celebrity. Next week we will be sailing on the Allure New years week, then disembark and sail on the Silihouette. The best of both worlds! Week one with family, week two just my DH and I.

Interesting. Scares me.

Thanks

Sailed Allure a few years ago and found all specialty restaurants outstanding. The entertainment was over the top and we had reservations for each type of show and enjoyed them all. The difference was we were traveling with 2 other couples and it was see all, do all. On the Oasis we will be traveling alone so we will do what we want when we want and we plan to enjoy. We have cabin 11329 which overlooks Boardwalk and Aqua Show as well as a view of the Atlantic, also just down hall from Diamond Lounge. We had a balcony overlooking ocean on Allure. Decided to try something different especially since we don't have to drive to Ft. Lauderdale. Port Canaveral and Port of Tampa are much more convenient for us.

The Gardens are on the itinerary:).......definitely looking forward to

seeing them.

We went there during our Amsterdam stay following a TA in 2009. Talk about tulips!!!!! It's a beautiful place Lois, you'll love it! During our visit it was the 400th anniversary of the Dutch settling in NYC, so there were lots of displays honoring NYC, including a tulip display in the shape of the Statue of Liberty.

We went there during our Amsterdam stay following a TA in 2009. Talk about tulips!!!!! It's a beautiful place Lois, you'll love it! During our visit it was the 400th anniversary of the Dutch settling in NYC, so there were lots of displays honoring NYC, including a tulip display in the shape of the Statue of Liberty.

Nice, the displays are wonderful.:D

We loved the Allure and Oasis. So many choices of venues. The shows, on ice, in the water, broadway, etc cannot be beat! A great contrast to Celebrity. Next week we will be sailing on the Allure New years week, then disembark and sail on the Silihouette. The best of both worlds! Week one with family, week two just my DH and I.

Sailed Allure a few years ago and found all specialty restaurants outstanding. The entertainment was over the top and we had reservations for each type of show and enjoyed them all. The difference was we were traveling with 2 other couples and it was see all, do all. On the Oasis we will be traveling alone so we will do what we want when we want and we plan to enjoy. We have cabin 11329 which overlooks Boardwalk and Aqua Show as well as a view of the Atlantic, also just down hall from Diamond Lounge. We had a balcony overlooking ocean on Allure. Decided to try something different especially since we don't have to drive to Ft. Lauderdale. Port Canaveral and Port of Tampa are much more convenient for us.

I feel better already.

After a dozen years of sailing with Celebrity I am moving on.......

Taking my first River Cruise in April:D.....I know it is about 360 degrees

different than an Ocean Cruise but it is something I have wanted to

do for a long time and I have the opportunity so I am taking it:).....

I was on Summit last month and yes, I had a good time but now with

the new pricing program (I booked that one before the GO Program

came into being).....but anyway, when I went to the FCC while on SUMMIT

and looked at a window cabin for next year on Summit.....lets just say

this is the first time in many years I have nothing booked on X.....not

even a deposit.

Seems I am not the only one changing.....I have read several threads

and know several people who are also switched.....I guess everyone

has their own reasons but I just know I am so looking forward to this

River Cruise.....sailing out of Amsterdam in the Spring....it is called

TULIP TIME:)

Not sure what I am going to do next fall......Maybe Celebrity, maybe

not.

Lois, your post described exactly how I've been feeling. You travel solo, don't you? I took 7 cruises in a 12-month window ending with the 2014 Reflection TA. When I compared the price I paid for those cruises, solo, to what I would pay for them now, the difference on most is between $3K - $4K. The TAs are about $2K more. Looking at my end-of-cruise statements, I spent nowhere near the amount that they've increased fares. I did/do benefit from Elite Plus with 200 internet minutes (they don't double them if you're solo) and free coffee at Cafe al Bacio. A nice memory - when the lovely barrista on the Connie (26 days) would see me coming from the elevator, she'd start my cappuccino before I even got there. I have always purchased my drinks because I don't care for the scotch brands or wines available at the happy hour and I don't drink as much as the per diem of a package.

Celebrity has essentially priced me out of their market or at least what I'm willing to pay for a balcony. I can't see spending $8-9K solo for a 2-week European cruise. I don't benefit from a 2nd "free" beverage package, 2nd "free gratuities," and so on, but I'm sure being charged for them, as is everyone. A couple of months ago, I decided to look elsewhere and cancelled the 4 FCCs that would have gotten me to Zenith. Still have one FCC on a 2017 TA, but that's iffy unless I decide to precede it with a land trip. Don't know what I'll be substituting for my cruise fix but I'm researching river cruises and Azamara. Looks like Azamara would actually cost me less than X overall because they do have a solo discount, as does HAL.

OK, I'm done venting. Don't know what the future holds but I think it's au revoir Celebrity.

Sailed Allure a few years ago and found all specialty restaurants outstanding. The entertainment was over the top and we had reservations for each type of show and enjoyed them all. The difference was we were traveling with 2 other couples and it was see all, do all. On the Oasis we will be traveling alone so we will do what we want when we want and we plan to enjoy. We have cabin 11329 which overlooks Boardwalk and Aqua Show as well as a view of the Atlantic, also just down hall from Diamond Lounge.....

What public areas of the ship are people allowed to smoke?

and did you notice smoke smell when wandering around?

I did/do benefit from Elite Plus with 200 internet minutes (they don't double them if you're solo) and free coffee at Cafe al Bacio.

One of my pet peeves about sailing solo on Celebrity. I'm paying for two people but I don't get two sets of coupons.

I have two more cruises booked, both of which were booked long before this BBB nonsense. One will be cancelled; I will keep the other one because it is with friends who are celebrating their 50th anniversary. After that, nothing booked. And no plans. If there are last minute deals at prices I'm willing to pay, I'll consider it. Otherwise, on to a different use of my vacation dollars. I could take some fabulous and luxurious land vacations for the amount I spent with Celebrity this year.

There is always something or somewhere else to spend holidays but Cruising is just so addictive for me. Despite the changes, I still think that they deliver the best product within what I am prepared to spend. The only difference now is that I am really targeting the specials when they arrive and will look more for the last minute sailings.

There is always something or somewhere else to spend holidays but Cruising is just so addictive for me. Despite the changes, I still think that they deliver the best product within what I am prepared to spend. The only difference now is that I am really targeting the specials when they arrive and will look more for the last minute sailings.

I agree. while we do enjoy other types of vacations, overall cruising on a large ship is our #1 choice. And yes many discounts are out their if you do not sail on holiday weeks.

One of my pet peeves about sailing solo on Celebrity. I'm paying for two people but I don't get two sets of coupons.

I have two more cruises booked, both of which were booked long before this BBB nonsense. One will be cancelled; I will keep the other one because it is with friends who are celebrating their 50th anniversary. After that, nothing booked. And no plans. If there are last minute deals at prices I'm willing to pay, I'll consider it. Otherwise, on to a different use of my vacation dollars. I could take some fabulous and luxurious land vacations for the amount I spent with Celebrity this year.

Linda, Thanks for not cancelling your Oct. cruise. This friend would be very sad if you weren't going to be there to celebrate Rod's and my big anniversary. I too am canceling my Panama canal cruise for April. My last cruise on Reflecttion left a bad taste in my mouth and I can't seem to find another Celebrity cruise I want to go on.

Pat

We are getting off the Silohuette in the morning, never to return to cruising. Almost everything that made cruising "special" is gone. The cruise cost, by itself was never an issue with us, it's the cost once you get on the ship. We probably waited too long to pull the plug, but now that we did, it's a great feeling knowing we finally did the best thing in the long run. I know we won' miss them anymore than they'll miss us.