Another Long Time Celebrity Cruiser Jumping Ship

Lois R

It's good to try something different. Just back from a AmaWaterways Rhine European river cruise.

Can now speak from experience, and yes, it will be a very long time before I go on another river cruise. Feel now like a river cruise is a bit like the minor leagues. Enjoy the choices, options and venues. Like the Ocean and the big boats. "Hello NCL Escape".

I have met several others that feel the same in regards to river cruising, they prefer the size and amenities on the ocean cruises.:D

I have met several others that feel the same in regards to river cruising, they prefer the size and amenities on the ocean cruises.:D

Of course there is also the problem of insufficient water in the rivers during summer droughts( happened to friends ) or too much when the river is in winter flood.

Yes, and I suppose the itineraries may be getting boring for her.:D

Hi Mic:)....there are tons (and tons) of itineraries I have not done.....

Money and time off play a big factor.......(I work)........but I see a

big smile at the end of your post so I am guessing you realize there

are a lot of itineraries I have not sailed.

I was on the breakaway and loved it, so I assume the Escape is similar. A friend of my who is a soon to be Sr lady sailed in a solo cabin and enjoyed the ability to socialize and sail with like minded single sailers. she loved it also.

While celebrity is still our # one choice, especially the Silly and Reflection, The NCL Haven class I must say beats celebrity or any line we have sailed on , suite amenities.

Edited by Cruise a holic

After a dozen years of sailing with Celebrity I am moving on.......

Taking my first River Cruise in April:D.....I know it is about 360 degrees

different than an Ocean Cruise but it is something I have wanted to

do for a long time and I have the opportunity so I am taking it:).....

I was on Summit last month and yes, I had a good time but now with

the new pricing program (I booked that one before the GO Program

came into being).....but anyway, when I went to the FCC while on SUMMIT

and looked at a window cabin for next year on Summit.....lets just say

this is the first time in many years I have nothing booked on X.....not

even a deposit.

Seems I am not the only one changing.....I have read several threads

and know several people who are also switched.....I guess everyone

has their own reasons but I just know I am so looking forward to this

River Cruise.....sailing out of Amsterdam in the Spring....it is called

TULIP TIME:)

Not sure what I am going to do next fall......Maybe Celebrity, maybe

not.

My sister and her husband just did the Amsterdam to Budapest trip. She said it was so incredible that she doesn't think they will be booking an ocean cruise anytime soon. Have fun!!!

Hi Mic:)....there are tons (and tons) of itineraries I have not done.....

Money and time off play a big factor.......(I work)........but I see a

big smile at the end of your post so I am guessing you realize there

are a lot of itineraries I have not sailed.

Yes, I know that getting the money and the time makes getting to some of those itineraries very difficult. Some will have to wait until retirement. I also know that when you do one cruise it actually adds 2 more holidays to the bucket list, if you know what I mean.;)

Hi Lois,

We too are leaving Celebrity after 15 cruises. So tired of the constant changes and loss of loyalty perks. We too are Elite+ and have lost many of the perks we enjoyed ... flowers in room, candy on pillow (have heard has been returned), loss of bottled water, etc. We most likely will be sailing RCCL out of Port Canaveral or Tampa in the future. I know it won't be the same but we do have 6 previous RCCL cruises and know what to expect. We are booked on the Oasis out of Port Canaveral on Dec. 18,2016. We plan to enjoy our B2B on The Connie in Feb. 2016 before moving on. Started with Princess so won't be going back there.

A River Cruise was on our bucket list but don't see it in our future now. Friends just did a Viking River Cruise and loved it.

Whatever you do Lois, I know you will enjoy (except cruise from hell). Happy Sails to You.

Grace and Rudy

After 61 cruises I left Celebrity and cruising altogether. For Celebrity the last straw for me was getting rid of the Aqua Spa Cafe. Yes it still exists in name but is a sad joke of what it once was. I still read the posts here and voice my opinion and some day I might cruise again.

I did feel strange to not have any cruises booked where I usually have 4 or 5 cruises booked.

I just can't take the cutbacks and extra charges. I can't take the cutback in the quality of food

Being into cruises as I was I had a lot of friends who were also cruise nuts. I am happy to report that most of my friends have also stopped cruising or have cut way back.

After 61 cruises I left Celebrity and cruising altogether. For Celebrity the last straw for me was getting rid of the Aqua Spa Cafe. Yes it still exists in name but is a sad joke of what it once was. I still read the posts here and voice my opinion and some day I might cruise again.

I did feel strange to not have any cruises booked where I usually have 4 or 5 cruises booked.

I just can't take the cutbacks and extra charges. I can't take the cutback in the quality of food

Being into cruises as I was I had a lot of friends who were also cruise nuts. I am happy to report that most of my friends have also stopped cruising or have cut way back.

Interesting. I was just emailed a really great offer to go to Norwegian. No deposit. Any room category. Bev package, internet and specialty dining included. Double air miles. Various dates including ones where the lowest category is $549. Any day previous to my last cruise, which was Thanksgiving week on Celeb? I would have booked immediately, on both ships that are offered, without blinking. But when I got the email, I just said "Eh."

While I'm not as jaded as some, YET, I am at the point where I feel like there is nothing special about cruising anymore and I'm feeling done with all of it. I think of what I paid for my last cruise and what I got and am realizing I can get a better deal and a more personal experience with an all inclusive land vacation. So I agree with you. The cruise industry has been slowly removing what made it special and it has finally crossed my personal tipping point. I think I'm done, which is shocking to even type. But yup, I'm exploring other vaca options and if I do cruise again, it won't be on Celebrity. Sad.

Edited by purpletequila

Hi Lois,

loss of loyalty perks. We too are Elite+ and have lost many of the perks we enjoyed ...

Probably just a reaction to your displeasure with the non loyalty changes from you. The loyalty perks have actually increased for us. I cannot think of a single loyalty perk that was removed. I really appreciate the doubling of laundry coupons and the more than doubling of the Internet minutes with the Elite Plus.

I will have to try one of the mega ships on RCCL to see if they can compare. In the past I have enjoyed the Celebrity experience significantly more and at less cost.

After 61 cruises I left Celebrity and cruising altogether.

I am happy to report that most of my friends have also stopped cruising or have cut way back.

Good luck to you. We plan to continue to enjoy our cruises. I can assure you that our cruises are still significantly less expensive than our three weeks in an ocean front condo in Maui each year.

It is sad to hear that you are happy to report that most of your friends have stopped cruising unless it is because they can join you on non cruising vacations.

61 cruises? I bet you will be back at some point, but one never knows. I cannot even imagine not being at sea with some cruise line for part of the time.

After a dozen years of sailing with Celebrity I am moving on.......

Taking my first River Cruise in April:D.....I know it is about 360 degrees

different than an Ocean Cruise but it is something I have wanted to

do for a long time and I have the opportunity so I am taking it:).....

I was on Summit last month and yes, I had a good time but now with

the new pricing program (I booked that one before the GO Program

came into being).....but anyway, when I went to the FCC while on SUMMIT

and looked at a window cabin for next year on Summit.....lets just say

this is the first time in many years I have nothing booked on X.....not

even a deposit.

Seems I am not the only one changing.....I have read several threads

and know several people who are also switched.....I guess everyone

has their own reasons but I just know I am so looking forward to this

River Cruise.....sailing out of Amsterdam in the Spring....it is called

TULIP TIME:)

Not sure what I am going to do next fall......Maybe Celebrity, maybe

not.

Have 45 X cruises over the last 17 years! Just took my last X cruise, TA from Rome 31 Oct ! The cruise experience on X has been in steady decline for the last 5+ years! Have spoken to many other cruisers with my experience on X and they agree the quality is no longer there! Maybe X is trying to drive their loyalist customers away, if so it has worked goodbye X!!

Have 45 X cruises over the last 17 years! Just took my last X cruise, TA from Rome 31 Oct ! The cruise experience on X has been in steady decline for the last 5+ years! Have spoken to many other cruisers with my experience on X and they agree the quality is no longer there! Maybe X is trying to drive their loyalist customers away, if so it has worked goodbye X!!
Interested in what you two are now going to do with your travel plans .

Tours , all-inclusives , exotic lands or will you follow Lois and river cruise ?

I think all of us have perhaps created a monster. For twenty years I have convinced dozens of couples to give up on their favorite cruise line and give Celebrity a chance. They all LOVED the experience and have become "cheerleaders" with the rest of us. Celebrity's demand is sky high and that's a big reason their stock price is so high. RCL is at $94 a share; compare that to Carnival Corp at $50. Up until just a few years ago, CCL was always higher than RCL.

I fear that the same people that built it up, perhaps will bring it down a notch. The price of fuel is at an all time low, yet cruise prices are up substantially. Holiday cruise prices are up over 50% compared to just three or four years ago. I'm not convinced that the product is in decline, but the good people of Cruise Critic are starting to make a case that the product is not as good as it once was. I will find out next week.:rolleyes::)

I'm Elite Plus and I really enjoy the benefits, but I can't justify paying $215 per person, per night for next year's Xmas/New Year's cruise -- that's in the cheapest inside cabin with no onboard credit, no 1,2,3,…,. Yes, we are locked into a specific schedule because my wife is a teacher and she can only cruise during her periods of unemployment, so moving to a better date is not an option.

This, coupled with higher airfares and expensive hotels, will prevent us from booking a Celebrity cruise in 2016. I hope it's just a temporary situation. Only time will….,

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Probably just a reaction to your displeasure with the non loyalty changes from you. The loyalty perks have actually increased for us. I cannot think of a single loyalty perk that was removed. I really appreciate the doubling of laundry coupons and the more than doubling of the Internet minutes with the Elite Plus.

I will have to try one of the mega ships on RCCL to see if they can compare. In the past I have enjoyed the Celebrity experience significantly more and at less cost.

Good luck to you. We plan to continue to enjoy our cruises. I can assure you that our cruises are still significantly less expensive than our three weeks in an ocean front condo in Maui each year.

It is sad to hear that you are happy to report that most of your friends have stopped cruising unless it is because they can join you on non cruising vacations.

61 cruises? I bet you will be back at some point, but one never knows. I cannot even imagine not being at sea with some cruise line for part of the time.

We tried Oasis, including specialty dining ..could not wait to get off the ship...may be great for familes, teens and rock climbers, zipliners, but was not a good fit for us...Diamond lounge in am and late afternoon was excellent...but even the shows and bands were lacking...felt like a crowded mid range shopping mall at sea!

I'm not convinced that the product is in decline, but the good people of Cruise Critic are starting to make a case that the product is not as good as it once was. I will find out next week.:rolleyes::)

Enjoy!

My wifester said our 10 days on the Equinox over Thanksgiving was her best cruise ever! I hope you and the Mrs. have the same wonderful vacation Kel!

EW

I think all of us have perhaps created a monster. For twenty years I have convinced dozens of couples to give up on their favorite cruise line and give Celebrity a chance. They all LOVED the experience and have become "cheerleaders" with the rest of us. Celebrity's demand is sky high and that's a big reason their stock price is so high. RCL is at $94 a share; compare that to Carnival Corp at $50. Up until just a few years ago, CCL was always higher than RCL.

I fear that the same people that built it up, perhaps will bring it down a notch. The price of fuel is at an all time low, yet cruise prices are up substantially. Holiday cruise prices are up over 50% compared to just three or four years ago. I'm not convinced that the product is in decline, but the good people of Cruise Critic are starting to make a case that the product is not as good as it once was. I will find out next week.:rolleyes::)

I'm Elite Plus and I really enjoy the benefits, but I can't justify paying $215 per person, per night for next year's Xmas/New Year's cruise -- that's in the cheapest inside cabin with no onboard credit, no 1,2,3,…,. Yes, we are locked into a specific schedule because my wife is a teacher and she can only cruise during her periods of unemployment, so moving to a better date is not an option.

This, coupled with higher airfares and expensive hotels, will prevent us from booking a Celebrity cruise in 2016. I hope it's just a temporary situation. Only time will….,

Enjoy!

I have noticed that several cruise lines are pricing high and then waiting to see if the ship fills, if it isn't filling fast enough the prices come down or sale perks are provided to entice more customers. It seems the supply and demand model is just starting at a much higher and more profitable price. This then makes the deals seem less special for seasoned passengers, which is why some are leaving. As long as the ships fill the prices will stay higher.:(

Why would this make you happy? sounds sad to me.:confused:

Mic they may have a point here, as there were many happy smiling fellow passengers on the Equinox with us last month.:D

Must have been all the sad folks went elsewhere!

Edited by wallie5446

Mic they may have a point here, as there were many happy smiling fellow passengers on the Equinox with us last month.:D

Must have been all the sad folks went elsewhere!

Yes, I was just intrigued that they were happy that their friends no longer cruised.

Hi folks...thanks for all the good wishes and kind words:)

I am going on AMA Waterways.....they were highly recommended.

Lois, we did our first river cruise with Ama this past spring, Basel to Amsterdam, and absolutely loved it. Ama is very highly rated among the river cruise companies. We think river cruising suits our needs better than ocean cruising.

While in Amsterdam, be sure to check out the Keukenhof Gardens - they were spectacular when we were there. Enjoy!