Best antibacterial wipes for cruises

mrsgthatsme

I am a bit of a germ phone when on vacation and I generally bring clorox wipes to hotels, etc. to wipe off faucets, door handles, remotes, etc... in our room. A while back, I remember a poster mentioning a certain type of wipe that was better than clorox wipes for killing norovirus and other germs on surfaces in their ship's cabin. Does anyone have a certain brand they recommend? Thanks!

I use Lysol to wipe some spots a cabin steward might miss such as drawer pulls, button to flush toilet, closet door handles, remote control, door handles, back of wooden chair ..........

Edited by sail7seas

None of the one you can buy in the local supermarket will kill Noro

but if you feel better using one then use them ...they may kill off other germs

They have special cleaners on the ship that are very strong & more effective

Thanks everyone. That is not good news that lysol and clorox wipes do not work on noro. :eek: It would be tough to bring bleach spray or something liquid that would work!

Just wash your hands and don't pick your nose and you'll be fine ;)

None of the one you can buy in the local supermarket will kill Noro

but if you feel better using one then use them ...they may kill off other germs

They have special cleaners on the ship that are very strong & more effective

There are germs/bacteria/viruses other than Noro as you alluded. ;)

Given the choice, I'd sure rather not get 'cruise crud' if Lysol wipes can help avoid it.

Maybe I missed it but OP did not mention Noro in that post.

Edited by sail7seas

There are germs/bacteria/viruses other than Noro as you alluded. ;)

Given the choice, I'd sure rather not get 'cruise crud' if Lysol wipes can help avoid it.

Maybe I missed it but OP did not mention Noro in that post.

I guess you did miss it then

" I remember a poster mentioning a certain type of wipe that was better than clorox wipes for killing norovirus"

Edited by LHT28

SCREAMING IS ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, sorry couldn't resist

THat message was edited after my post. ;)

Had it been written the way it is now, I would not have had any comment.

Edited by sail7seas

THat message was edited after my post. ;)

Had it been written the way it is now, I would not have had any comment.

The font was larger .... so I did edited it but it was NOT all capitals

The OP did mention NORO in their 1 st post

Edited by LHT28

Noro is a virus and Lysol wipes and the hand sanitizers are anti-bacterial. Does not kill Noro. But it helps and that is what is important. Don't be one of those people who refuse the hand sanitizer at the entrance of the buffet for some dumb fake reason bc you don't think it will help. It helps more than it hurts. (I know the OP is not one of those people, being a kind of germophobe. I'm just saying in general.)

I once followed in a woman into the buffet who refused the hand sanitizer. She told the crew member that she was just walking though, then I heard her tell her husband that she hates that sticky stuff on her hands. (That stuff is NOT sticky at all once dry and in fact leaves your hands pretty smooth.) Then I see her proceed to the buffet and grab a small sandwich with her bare hands.

A while back, I remember a poster mentioning a certain type of wipe that was better than clorox wipes for killing norovirus and other germs on surfaces in their ship's cabin. Does anyone have a certain brand they recommend? Thanks!

I believe it was this product, available on amazon: Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes, Kills Norovirus, Rotavirus, HIV - 6.75" x 5.75" Wipe (1 Pack of 155). If you purchase a large contain such as this, just place some in baggies for use on your cruise. :)

We figure that Germophobes likely end up needing anti-anxiety meds to deal with the realities of life. And reading CC (and some news stories) probably has folks thinking that everyone gets overcome with excess germs on a ship. So we will be a little contrarian. DW and I have spent more then 3 years cruising on numerous vessels, and have never had Noro (at least not on a cruise). Nor have we even suffered from food poisoning, beri-beri, rickets, TB, HIV, while on a cruise. And the shocker is that we do not even worry about it, do not wipe down our cabin (that is why stewards use some powerful chemicals), wear surgical gloves, surgical masks, etc. To be honest, when on a ship we just have fun :). So how can one avoid Noro? You simply follow basic hygiene guidelines which means you wash your hands with warm soapy water whenever possible (and every time after using a rest room), use the hand sanitizers, and most importantly try to avoid touching your face (especially your eyes, mouth or nose. This has been effective for us for over forty years of cruising. If others prefer to wipe down their cabin, and perhaps also wipe down the rest of the ship (we assume they do leave their cabin) then we suppose that will help keep them out of trouble.

All that being said, our major problem with cruises are common colds and respiratory bugs...all spread through the air via coughing and sneezing. We do try to avoid the coughers and sneezers...but one can only do so much. We have actually had a lot fewer problems since we started doing our best to avoid elevators. Not only are the steps a healthy way to exercise, but elevators are closed chambers where you cannot escape the germs of anyone who coughs or sneezes.

We also think it is important for travelers to get the latest flu shots (some will disagree) and would never dream of traveling during the winter without first getting the shots. Seniors should also ask their physician about the 2 anti pneumonia vaccines (which can prevent many respiratory ailments) and which are covered by Medicare (in the USA) for those over 65.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I once followed in a woman into the buffet who refused the hand sanitizer. She told the crew member that she was just walking though, then I heard her tell her husband that she hates that sticky stuff on her hands. (That stuff is NOT sticky at all once dry and in fact leaves your hands pretty smooth.) Then I see her proceed to the buffet and grab a small sandwich with her bare hands.

many people still hate it.., for me it dries my skin horribly and I am already raw/irritated before being forced ( and yes an all ships I have been on so far if you refused to squirt you were NOT allowed into the buffet area) to use it several times a day

not excusing her actions( picking up with bare hands is a whapping offense as far as I am concerned) but it is an explanation

On one of the ships I sailed in recent years, I was wearing clear nail polish. The goop stained my nails brown and I looked like the worst nicotine addict ever. I don't smoke. Seems my polish and the goop didn't play well together. My hands looked awful until I removed the polish, the brown and then refused goop from then forward.

Thanks everyone. That is not good news that lysol and clorox wipes do not work on noro. :eek: It would be tough to bring bleach spray or something liquid that would work!

In fact , clorox wipes or bleach sprays DO work on noro virus ( used in hospitals in fact),,,and we bring the wipes plus a small can of lysol spray just in case.... lol:cool:

I believe it was this product, available on amazon: Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes, Kills Norovirus, Rotavirus, HIV - 6.75" x 5.75" Wipe (1 Pack of 155). If you purchase a large contain such as this, just place some in baggies for use on your cruise. :)

Yes, the hydrogen peroxide wipes (not the regular Clorox wipes) are supposed to be somewhat effective against noro. So here is my question for you. Can you carry enough of those wipes to wipe down every single surface on a ship, which you might contact during your daily time outside your cabin? We are talking about every railing, piece of furniture, every utensil in the MDR and Lido, table surfaces, books, papers, etc. So you wipe every surface in sight, and then touch a wall, railing, serving spoon, or even eat contaminated food. Just wondering. There is a reason why anyone working in an Operating Room does not touch any surface (and I do mean any) once they have scrubbed...until they are in the OR and properly gloved/gowned. Just wondering how you will do this on a ship?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner