Did RCCL change that My Time dining does not require per paid gratutuies?

Just booked a fare on sale and chose My Time dining and looking at confirmation sheet see that they did not charge prepaid gratuities, is this something new?

Started a few months ago.

I have looked on the website and it still states you must pre pay gratuities. Are you sure? Is this on all ships? Thanks

It's normal for Royal's website to be out of date in some areas.

If you have MTD and prepaid gratuties on your booking, you can contact whoever booked your cruise and have the gratuities removed.

Leaving on the IOS next week. We had early seating reserved but decided to switch to My Time Dining. Called our TA a couple of days ago, thinking it may be too late to switch and we'd have to do it on the ship but we were able to switch no problem. I was surprised when he told me that they don't charge gratuities up front anymore. He said RCI was having problems with too many people switching to MTD when they boarded to avoid paying gratuities up front. Makes sense.

Just called RCCL & I can't have the pre paid gratuities taken off because they are now at $12.95 pp per day & I booked at $12.00. $.95 x 2 of us X 8 night cruise is $ 15.20

Thanks for the info; it was worth looking into.

You CAN have them taken off, but you would pay the higher amount on board.

Your choice: prepay them now at $12 per day per person or pay later at $12.95 per day per person. If you have OBC to use up, the latter choice is better. ;)

He said RCI was having problems with too many people switching to MTD when they boarded to avoid paying gratuities up front. Makes sense.

another reason was many people complained about not being able to use OBC towards gratuities

We just got off the Brilliance of the Seas. We had MTD and had prepaid gratuities (I guess the old policy was in effect when we paid). When we got on board, they added the gratuities to our bill, and also added an on board credit to balance it our so we did not pay twice. They also provided a voice mail to explain what they were doing.

Started a few months ago.

Well that is interesting as when I booked our up coming cruise on Oasis I was told I'd have to pay them up front if I picked MTD. I didn't want to do that as I have OBC to use up. I also didn't want to pick a fixed seating because, as usual, we have no intention of eating in the MDR. Maybe I'll call and see if I can get it changed. I hate having reserved seats that someone else might want but I sure am not going to leave any OBC unused.

Well that is interesting as when I booked our up coming cruise on Oasis I was told I'd have to pay them up front if I picked MTD. I didn't want to do that as I have OBC to use up. I also didn't want to pick a fixed seating because, as usual, we have no intention of eating in the MDR. Maybe I'll call and see if I can get it changed. I hate having reserved seats that someone else might want but I sure am not going to leave any OBC unused.

You should call because you don't have to prepay to opt for MTD. I think the website still adds it automatically (I imagine Royal is horrified that they are taking people's money unnecessarily:rolleyes:), but you can call and have it removed.

You should call because you don't have to prepay to opt for MTD. I think the website still adds it automatically (I imagine Royal is horrified that they are taking people's money unnecessarily:rolleyes:), but you can call and have it removed.

I just called and it is all set. The C&A customer rep. was very friendly, knew about the gratuity changes, and the whole process took me about 2 minutes on the phone.:)

We just got off the Brilliance of the Seas. We had MTD and had prepaid gratuities (I guess the old policy was in effect when we paid). When we got on board, they added the gratuities to our bill, and also added an on board credit to balance it our so we did not pay twice. They also provided a voice mail to explain what they were doing.

That's interesting. We have 2 cruises booked with the old gratuity rate (pre-paid).

I actually wouldn't mind if they did it that way, because we would receive more points on the Royal Caribbean card.

I just called and it is all set. The C&A customer rep. was very friendly, knew about the gratuity changes, and the whole process took me about 2 minutes on the phone.:)

I appreciate the report, and glad it worked out for you.

• 1 year later...
If you don't prepay for gratuities for My Time Dining, can you change the amount while paying on the ship or is it locked in?

You can change the amount onboard.

Also, you are no longer required to prepay gratuities for My TIme.

It did not automatically add the pre-paid gratuities when I booked our Aug 17 Grandeur sailing. The website mentioned it, but did not require it, and did not do it automatically.

Same with our next two sailings booked.