Need Advice on Upgrade price!

AzJenn

Fellow cruisers I need your advice.

I have a 4 day booked on the Crown (1/25/16) currently booked in a BD category, just received an email for $249 more per person to upgrade to full suite.

do you think this is a good offer? We paid $309 (before taxes/fees) for the BD category.

Need some advice. I have never sailed in a full suite before, so anxious to try however not sure it's a great deal.

$500 more for 4 days? No way. Save your money. ;)

lol the price posted on the website now for the 4 day is showing $1200 per person! Crazy...If it was $249 for the two of us I would book in a heartbeat. What are the chances they will send another email in a week offering for less? lol

Sounds like I'm voicing the minority opinion here, but I would probably do it. I like Princess suites: nice size, good service, enjoy the suite breakfast, amenities, etc. IMHO it's a fair price, but not an amazing deal.

However, I would also thoroughly enjoy a BD cabin!

It sounds like fun in either type of accommodation:). Good luck deciding!

This seems to be the way of the future with Princess. Offering up-sells to people at a price until someone bites. I'd bet that if you don't accept it they'll offer it again at a somewhat lower price to someone else.

We received 2 up-sells on our next B2B2B trip & accepted neither.

In the old days they would just upgrade the cabin at no charge. ;)

lol the price posted on the website now for the 4 day is showing $1200 per person! Crazy...If it was $249 for the two of us I would book in a heartbeat. What are the chances they will send another email in a week offering for less? lol

It could come back around but don't count on it.

Also if you decide to do it let them know right away, its first come first served.

Sometimes I take the upsells and sometimes I don't. I look at it by price, per person, per day. So, you take $309 plus $249 = $558 per person. Then you divide by 4 days = $139.50 per person, per day. You will get the mini-bar set up and breakfast at Sabatini's. I might be tempted to take it. Balcony cabins are about $80 per person, per day.

It seems a little pricey to me, but I don't normally book suites. Maybe someone that does book suites could give you a price per day that they would normally pay for a suite? That would help me to decide.

Fellow cruisers I need your advice.

I have a 4 day booked on the Crown (1/25/16) currently booked in a BD category, just received an email for $249 more per person to upgrade to full suite.

do you think this is a good offer? We paid $309 (before taxes/fees) for the BD category.

Need some advice. I have never sailed in a full suite before, so anxious to try however not sure it's a great deal.

looking at prices, you can upgrade to a mini suite for $70 pp

I turned down an upsell offer of $199 per person to go from a Cat. BF to a suite on a 3-day cruise. It wasn't worth it to us. One thing that went into the decision was the fact that the suite breakfast in Sabatini's wasn't served on disembarkation day. The other factor that turned me off was the fact that the cost of our Princess insurance was going to go up. Another factor was that we were taking this cruise back-to-back with a 4-day cruise. We did not want to go from the luxury of a suite back to a regular balcony cabin.

It seems a little high to me, but then I've never cruised in a Princess Suite so maybe I'm not entitled to an opinion.

I'd look at what the added benefits are worth. For 4 nights, you aren't going to use the laundry service.

Breakfast at Sabbatini's .....?

One Specialty dinner $50

Thermal suite 4 days (of which you'll probably use 3 or less...won't use it embarkation or disembarkation day) $120

Mini bar/coffee cards $70

Slippers, enhanced toiletries, priority boarding, expanded room service, etc.....?

That puts me at roughly half the price they are charging you in things that can be accurately costed out plus the value of the "fluff" things. If you are in the "we wouldn't use the thermal suite anyhow" category, the value is even less.

I just accepted an upsell offer of $399 per person to move from mini suite to full suite on a 7 day cruise. It was totally worth it for us and I figure I'll always remember having the suite, but most likely won't remember how much I paid for it 5 years from now. This may be my only chance to get a full suite at a reasonable price -- but we booked early and at a great rate, so even with our upsell charge we're paying only slightly more than current balcony price.

I say go for it, but only you can know if it's truly worth it for you.

Just in case, I attached the list of suite amenities from Princess' website.

Suite amenities.pdf

We did a similar deal on a Vancouver to LA 3 day suite upgrade, but we also were close to Elite and wanted to get the extra credits before a Panama cruise. We also had one of the aft suites on Golden. Hard going back to a balcony after that.

I would do it if they also offered two cruise credits instead of only the one you get on an upsell. Elite is far away for me!

When we have taken the upsells and they haven't given the second cruise credit a call to Princess easily has corrected it. :)

Thanks so much everyone for the advice!

We decided to not take the upsell. For that price we can book another little 4 day in Feb in an oceanview cabin.

I will one day try a suite, I wish it was on a 7 day...that jetted tub is VERY TEMPTING!! LOL may be more tempted if it was a longer cruise.

This was the first upsell I have been offered. I agree with everyone that it seems more and more cruisers I speak to they are receiving these type of offers.