Alcohol & Balcony Breakfast questions on Emerald

Cabogirl13

Hello all! Traveling on Emerald in March and have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers to, so your experience and expertise would be greatly appreciated.

1. If we are doing the AIBP can we have water stocked in our room or delivered or should we just plan to bring "some" with us?

2. If we preorder some of the 375 spirit bottles in advance (to enjoy without running out), will they be in our room waiting when we arrive or will we have to order when we get there?

3. Anyone know the cost of those little mini bar bottles? (as I know they are not included in the AIBP)

4.(Last question) Is the balcony breakfast really worth it? I love the idea of doing a "special" breakfast one morning but couldn't you basically order room service and accomplish the same thing?

Thanks in advance for you input.

4.(Last question) Is the balcony breakfast really worth it? I love the idea of doing a "special" breakfast one morning but couldn't you basically order room service and accomplish the same thing?

We purchased the balcony breakfast on the Regal last year and had the AIBP While we enjoyed it, I would not do it again. The nice thing was it was a lot of pastries, which we ate on for a couple of days (we brought a Ziploc) and a quiche. I ordered extra bacon, which was not good. I would get a couple of (175 ml) bottles of Korbel and order room service with some OJ and coffee. You could also run down to IC for pastries. It's not the special experience that the Balcony dinner is.

Edited by luvseaside

Get bottles of water from any bar and bring them to the cabin.

You'll have to call room service for the alcohol. You'll have a card in your room and present it upon delivery.

I don't think you can buy the mini-bottles of alcohol. Those are reserved for elite and suite passengers.

I've done the the balcony breakfast once and won't do it again. Too much food! However, I would do the balcony dinner again in a heartbeat!

Hello all! Traveling on Emerald in March and have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers to, so your experience and expertise would be greatly appreciated.

1. If we are doing the AIBP can we have water stocked in our room or delivered or should we just plan to bring "some" with us?

2. If we preorder some of the 375 spirit bottles in advance (to enjoy without running out), will they be in our room waiting when we arrive or will we have to order when we get there?

3. Anyone know the cost of those little mini bar bottles? (as I know they are not included in the AIBP)

1. Bottles of water is included in the AIBP but not through room service. You can simply grab some at a bar and bring it back to the cabin yourself. We do this and also make sure we bring one back with us every night

2. Why would you pre-order the bottles if you are purchasing the AIBP? either way, you won't have the bottles waiting in the room. There will be coupons and you would have to call room service to have them delivered.

3. If you go onto the Princess website and go to the gifts page, it will show you everything that is available and the costs associated with it. The bottles that are available are the 375 size and run around $20 or so.

4. You can't delicate the balcony breakfast from room service unless you are in a full suite. The room service breakfast menu is very limited and cold items with the exception of an egg sandwich which always arrives cold!

Edited by cjskids

No, you must get outside your cabin (bars etc.) The AIBP is not valid/available through room service.

You will have to pay for any 375ml bottles. If you order and pay a voucher will be waiting on your cabin to swap through room service.

Approx $7 each

IMO no. Its a ton of food. Enough for 4 people. Just either call room service or bring food back from the HC buffet.

See above in red

Great responses all (so far), thank you. I was only thinking that having some of the 375 bottles might afford us the luxury of having balcony cocktails without having to run out to a bar to get them. Good to know we should plan to have to call for them, I had no idea how that worked. I appreciate the input on the balcony breakfast, I was on the fence about this and I am leaning towards not.

There is a balcony dinner option???? Where might I find info on that?

There is a balcony dinner option???? Where might I find info on that?

Here's the description from the Princess website:

Enjoy an intimate, romantic dining experience with breathtaking views and a special meal served by your own dedicated waitstaff on your stateroom balcony. Ultimate Balcony Dining features a hosted cocktail party, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies.

Available on all ships, the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a unique Princess dining experience. This item may be either ordered onboard by contacting the bell box or pre-purchased as a special service item (item #3011).

It's $50 pp

Edited by luvseaside

Here's the description from the Princess website:

Enjoy an intimate, romantic dining experience with breathtaking views and a special meal served by your own dedicated waitstaff on your stateroom balcony. Ultimate Balcony Dining features a hosted cocktail party, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies.

Available on all ships, the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a unique Princess dining experience. This item may be either ordered onboard by contacting the bell box or pre-purchased as a special service item (item #3011).

It's $50 pp

WOW missed that one!!! will have to look into that. Thanks

1. Bottles of water is included in the AIBP but not through room service. You can simply grab some at a bar and bring it back to the cabin yourself. We do this and also make sure we bring one back with us every night

2. Why would you pre-order the bottles if you are purchasing the AIBP? either way, you won't have the bottles waiting in the room. There will be coupons and you would have to call room service to have them delivered.

3. If you go onto the Princess website and go to the gifts page, it will show you everything that is available and the costs associated with it. The bottles that are available are the 375 size and run around $20 or so.

4. You can't delicate the balcony breakfast from room service unless you are in a full suite. The room service breakfast menu is very limited and cold items with the exception of an egg sandwich which always arrives cold!

I think you forgot about the ultimate balcony breakfast!!!

Minibar prices on Regal in November: Courvoisier VS $6.25; Beefeater Gin, Skyy Vodka, Dewar's Scotch, Dos Equiis Beer $4.95 each. If you are not Elite and use any, they will charge you for use and replace as needed.

Minibar prices on Regal in November: Courvoisier VS $6.25; Beefeater Gin, Skyy Vodka, Dewar's Scotch, Dos Equiis Beer $4.95 each. If you are not Elite and use any, they will charge you for use and replace as needed.

so way cheaper to just purchase a 375 if we want to keep any in our room. Gotcha!

1. The AIBP does NOT include any room service items so you can not have room service stock your cabin with water. You can stock it yourself by going to a bar and bring water back to your cabin, carry on bottles, or just use the ship's tap water which is as good as or better than bottled water.

4. Unless you are in a full suite the room service breakfast menu is basically continental, plus an Egg McMuffin type sandwich. Some people have reported that they have been able to order additional items, but certainly not a full breakfast.

We did the balcony breakfast and really enjoyed it. One is basically paying for the champagne, but it's all about the cruise experience. One can add or delete food that is delivered, but all in all it was a great experience. For us, sitting in the balcony, sipping champagne, enjoying a delightfully crafted fruit plate, mini quiches, lox, pastries, and having the open sea as the back drop is an amazing experience. For just a moment in time, we avoided the lines for buffet service, the running kids, and/or sharing a breakfast dining room table. For that moment, it was all about us.

Another tip, no need for ziploc bags to save food. The food never stops on Princess Cruises and one can have as much or as little as one wants when ever one wants it.

I enjoy the cruise experience, but I find that many cruisers continue on the same land time behavior instead of savoring every minute of their cruise.

Enjoy your Princess experience.

We purchased the balcony breakfast on the Regal last year and had the AIBP While we enjoyed it, I would not do it again. The nice thing was it was a lot of pastries, which we ate on for a couple of days (we brought a Ziploc) and a quiche. I ordered extra bacon, which was not good. I would get a couple of (175 ml) bottles of Korbel and order room service with some OJ and coffee. You could also run down to IC for pastries. It's not the special experience that the Balcony dinner is.

I was thinking the same thing. I ordered (and paid) for the balcony breakfast to be delivered on our last day at sea (Valentine's day) but after seeing the video on youtube of this experience, I think I'd rather put the $45 towards a dinner at the Crown Grille. Have read a lot of positive reviews of that experience. Anyone care to weigh in? This isn't our first cruise but it's our first on Princess so all opinions welcome:)

Edited by FLAMOM24

I was thinking the same thing. I ordered (and paid) for the balcony breakfast to be delivered on our last day at sea (Valentine's day) but after seeing the video on youtube of this experience, I think I'd rather put the $45 towards a dinner at the Crown Grille. Have read a lot of positive reviews of that experience. Anyone care to weigh in? This isn't our first cruise but it's our first on Princess so all opinions welcome:)

The majority of posts that I have seen from people who have done the breakfast are that they would not do it again.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The majority of posts that I have seen from people who have done the breakfast are that they would not do it again.

That's what I'm seeing as well Colo. Have you eaten in the CG? If so, do you feel like that it was money well spent?

That's what I'm seeing as well Colo. Have you eaten in the CG? If so, do you feel like that it was money well spent?

Yes we love it. Of course when it first opened they had the live Maine lobster, and also 12 ounce tails for a $9 up charge. But this was discontinued about 18 months after they first opened them.

We love the steak choices! :)

Yes we love it. Of course when it first opened they had the live Maine lobster, and also 12 ounce tails for a $9 up charge. But this was discontinued about 18 months after they first opened them.

Thanks, Keith! I appreciate your responses. Have already canceled the breakfast. Does anyone know how that works (does it go back on the card you used to purchase or is it put on your onboard account as a credit)?

I'll have to do a search to see if I can take a look at what's on the menu. If it's not liver or eggplant, I'll be happy (that's about the only thing I won't eat) :D

We were just on the Emerald and did the CG the last night. It was fantastic. The boys all had surf and turf, steak and lobster tails. I just had the lobster tails which were small but very good.

Well worth the $25 per person. Just book a night and time once you get on board the very first day. It booked up fast since a lot of people did not want to go to the new Share restaurant but they did want something other than the MDR.

BTW the food at MDR was great every night as well.

Ohhh.... Wish they still had that lobster! My only problem with the Crown Grill is that the only steak small enough that I can actually eat it is the Filet and that's not my favorite cut - too lean for me. I'd really prefer the Rib Eye (OMG it's hard to beat a well marbled Rib Eye!) but I can't eat that much anymore and I hate waste. If my wife was a Rib Eye fan we could split one but she would rather eat something else.

Thanks, Keith! I appreciate your responses. Have already canceled the breakfast. Does anyone know how that works (does it go back on the card you used to purchase or is it put on your onboard account as a credit)?

I'll have to do a search to see if I can take a look at what's on the menu. If it's not liver or eggplant, I'll be happy (that's about the only thing I won't eat) :D

If you pre-purchase and later decide before sailing that you don't want it and cancel, it will go back on the card you used to buy it.

If you enjoy steak the Crown Grill is worth the $25/pp. Make your reservations on the afternoon of boarding day as some of the popular times fill quickly. Some cuts of meat are better than others, be sure to ask the waiter for some advice.

I have done the Balcony Breakfast twice .... once on the day our ship arrived in Hilo in late morning, and the other time the morning we cruised Tracy Arm Fjord. Both times it was VERY enjoyable, and both times there was an abundance of food.

Both times we ate about half of what was served (primarily the hot food), and saved the fresh fruit In our fridge, plus the pastries, and the following morning ordered coffee from room service and had breakfast on our balcony all over again.

Really it's not just about the food ... it's about where you are and being made to feel very pampered and special.

We were just on the Emerald and did the CG the last night. It was fantastic. The boys all had surf and turf, steak and lobster tails. I just had the lobster tails which were small but very good.

Well worth the $25 per person. Just book a night and time once you get on board the very first day. It booked up fast since a lot of people did not want to go to the new Share restaurant but they did want something other than the MDR.

BTW the food at MDR was great every night as well.

I especially love the lobster at the CG ..... yes the tails are rather small, but they routinely have served me 6 of them to start the meal with (LOL! I can't eat more the maybe 2 1/2 tails) and was told to just let them know if I would like more!!!

They grill them and the meat is sweet and slightly smoky tasting. YUM!!!