Listening, not buying, in the bars

damiross

I'd like to go Crooners to listen to the music but I'm not a drinker. Is it possible to go to one of the bars just to listen to the music without ordering a drink?

If my wife and I go into a bar, Crooners or something else, typically I'll feel like I ought to order something eventually, and she'll feel like she has no obligation and can listen forever. In the end, it's just how you feel about it. They will ask you if you want something, but they won't pressure you to buy a drink.

Jim

I'd like to go Crooners to listen to the music but I'm not a drinker. Is it possible to go to one of the bars just to listen to the music without ordering a drink?

Yes many times we finish dinner and I just can't drink another drop of anything.

A polite no thanks and they will lay a napkin on the table to signal other servers that you don't want a drink and have already been asked. I may even just get a glass of ice water.

No problem! :)

You can go into any venue to listen to the music and not order a single thing. The first time they ask and you say no, they will put a cocktail napkin on your table so other waiters will not bother you. If you change your mind, you will have to signal to a waiter to get service.

Remember you paid money to be on the ship and enjoy what it has to offer. Do not feel guilty for sitting at a table listening/watching the entertainment and not buying anything. This is not like on shore where you are expected to buy something. I have done it on every cruise as at that point I did not want anything to drink.

No problem at all. When the waiter asks if you want a drink just politely say no. The waiter will place a napkin on your table to indicate they were there. They will not approach you again unless you signal to them. There is no hard sell.

You don't have to order anything, but if you want to throw some business the server's way, you can always order a Perrier. So refreshing over ice with a little lime or lemon, and only $2.65. Plus, calorie-free!

There is no reason to pay for any drinks in the bars, Explorer Lounge or any other venue with music or other activities. You have paid for this entertainment. If you do not want a drink then tell them. I normally have my coffee and my DW normally just ask for a glass of water. If you do not want anything they will place a napkin to let other wait staff that you have been taken care of. Just enjoy the music or entertainment. :)

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

Never been a problem, but if I do notice its really busy and people are waiting for tables, I'll usually order a mocktail under the bev package and tip a buck or two to make up on tips they may be missing out on...

I have never felt obligated to purchase a drink in any venue that provides entertainment. The problem with Princess is you have to get to the venues early enough to get a seat. I usually order a drink just out of boredom. I have to start out with a soft drink because if I started out with alcohol I would miss the show.

I never thought about the lost revenue of the servers from those who don't drink. That's nice a gesture that you compensate them. We are there for the show and drinks so tipping is not an issue. The issue is pacing ourselves....Hiccup :)...from the time we get there to when the show starts.

Edited by Iamcruzin

It's just one of those things where $1 or $2 per hour will not materially affect my cruise in any way, but it's entirely possible the person who might have taken the table would have ordered 4 drinks.... Plus, if there more than an hour, having water or something is a good idea anyway to stay hydrated...

I have never felt obligated to purchase a drink in any venue that provides entertainment. The problem with Princess is you have to get to the venues early enough to get a seat. I usually order a drink just out of boredom. I have to start out with a soft drink because if I started out with alcohol I would miss the show.

I never thought about the lost revenue of the servers from those who don't drink. That's nice a gesture that you compensate them. We are there for the show and drinks so tipping is not an issue. The issue is pacing ourselves....Hiccup :)...from the time we get there to when the show starts.

Only been on Princess once so don't know the ropes, but out of courtesy to the servers, I would at least leave a tip for the servers If I were sitting at a table in a lounge, when entertainment was in progress and people waiting for a table. Yes, we have paid for the cruise, but these people work hard and if I can afford a cruise I can certainly leave a buck or two or three or four in way of a tip.

If you feel uncomfortable without something on the table just ask for a glass of water. You could also just have what I call "and tonic". Just like Gin and Tonic but without the gin. :)

I find that a glass of tonic with lime in it is quite good and also very refreshing. It looks like an alcoholic drink to anybody else.

I agree with everyone. Never knew about the napkin thing though. Probably because my napkin has a glass of chardonnay on it. ;)

Loonbeam, yes, that is a great idea if one doesn't want anything to drink and just listen. They do work their tails off in the lounges.:):)

Unfortunately, they need to make revenue. I'd suggest getting a soft drink or even soda water. It won't cost too much & you're contributing some $ to the revenue flow. Please DO tip the staff, as non paying pax are hurting their wages as well.